PDA

View Full Version : MK is at Phase 4 capacity (Merged Threads)

WDWdriver
04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
As of 1:30 pm today the Magic Kingdom is at Phase 4 capacity. All arriving guests are being turned away. The other three parks are still open to guests.

Guests currently visiting WDW should expect park closures due to capacity through Easter weekend and for several days beyond that.

mudpuppysmom
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm thinking WOW, it's only Tuesday and already we're seeing closures!

MickeyMousse
04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
:jaw:

So soon, already???

Many of my DS7 classmates went down for the break.....wonder if they got in or not!

Now with something like this, do they stop running the MK buses from the resorts to the park?

Tinkerbelly84
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
that's crazy!!!!

barbiegirl314
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Is this normal for this time in April? Is it because it's Easter time or because of the 4/3 promo. We're heading down the beginning of May and I'm starting to get nervous about the crowd levels.

GrumpyFan
04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Is this normal for this time in April? Is it because it's Easter time or because of the 4/3 promo. We're heading down the beginning of May and I'm starting to get nervous about the crowd levels.

It's due to it being the week before Easter. This is one of the busier weeks of the year. Although, this is the first time I remember these levels of crowds. I think a lot of it may have to do with the 4/3 special too. Apparently, a lot of people took advantage of the offer.

I read elsewhere that DHS is close to capacity also. Apparently parking for DHS is full and being re-routed to Epcot and they're shuttling people over via bus.

MOJoe
04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Is this normal for this time in April?

My family was in WDW for Easter Break last year, and in 06. It was crowded, but we never encountered a park closing.
This is amazing. It must be total gridlock in the parks right now. :crowd:

Thanks WDW driver for this report. Can you enlighten us with any info on where are all these people are coming from? :confused:

Itchy
04-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Oh! Wow!!!

I love visiting WDW, but

I dont think I could handle that large of a crowd without a shoe horn.:blush:

I think that I would enjoy the pool and wait for the crowds to die now a might.

Another trip planned in August.:mickey:

Tygger7
04-07-2009, 03:15 PM
My DD16 is at WDW right now and called about an hour ago telling me how packed everything was and about MK closing. She said the weather is absolutely perfect today...no humidity, sunny, and in the low 70's, so you add that on top of it being the week before Easter and you have a nightmare. When she went over the same time period in 2007 she encountered the same thing with crowds & parks closing to capacity. They're avoiding the crowds as much as possible and doing some resort hopping today instead. Another reason we love going in May. :D

paragon
04-07-2009, 03:18 PM
While I wouldn't want to be stuck in those crowds, I think it totally awesome that the MK is that busy! And the DHS has a full parking lot. Thats amazing.

Mousemates
04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I know this might sound crazy :crazy: to some, but as crowded :crowd: as it is, I'd still like to be there.:mickey:

WDWdriver
04-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks WDW driver for this report. Can you enlighten us with any info on where are all these people are coming from? :confused:

It's a combination of factors:
Spring break is still going on
Easter weekend
Accommodation and dining incentives
Northerners getting fed up with a long winter
US vacations still a good buy for Europeans

Put it all together and you get massive crowds at WDW. Attendance levels have been higher than normal for the past couple of months, but not reaching park capacities until now.

Maleficent's Dad
04-07-2009, 03:36 PM
We're here right now (writing this from OKW!), and I have to tell you, that I initially believed we were going to be OK. Sunday at DHS wasn't too bad at all! There were still FP's for TSM at 1 PM! Monday at MK was quiet initially (park opened at 7 AM), but crowds did grow. It was pretty crowded after lunch when we left - to the point where we were happy to get out of there.

Today we were at the AK all morning - talk about crowds... The usual spots (EE, KS) were getting insane. To give you an idea, at 1 PM today, Primevil Whirl had a wait of 75 minutes!!!

Looks like the rest of the week is gonna be a challenge! :mickey:

Crow
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
please dont be crowded next week, please dont be crowded nest week.........
im arriving Sun w the nephews for their first visit.
this could be bad.

WDW_Obsessed
04-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Today we were at the AK all morning - talk about crowds... The usual spots (EE, KS) were getting insane. To give you an idea, at 1 PM today, Primevil Whirl had a wait of 75 minutes!!!
:mickey:

Now that's just not right! :shake: I can't even imagine the wait at TSM...

joanna71985
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
As of 1:30 pm today the Magic Kingdom is at Phase 4 capacity. All arriving guests are being turned away. The other three parks are still open to guests.

Guests currently visiting WDW should expect park closures due to capacity through Easter weekend and for several days beyond that.

Seriously?! Dang! :jaw:

It's due to it being the week before Easter. This is one of the busier weeks of the year. Although, this is the first time I remember these levels of crowds. I think a lot of it may have to do with the 4/3 special too. Apparently, a lot of people took advantage of the offer.

I read elsewhere that DHS is close to capacity also. Apparently parking for DHS is full and being re-routed to Epcot and they're shuttling people over via bus.

Wow! I never thought the parks would close like this in April. July, yes. Dec (for Christmas and New Years), yes. But April? Dang.

Looks like the rest of the week is gonna be a challenge! :mickey:

Wow!! If PW is that bad, you KNOW it's crowded.

Kenny1113
04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
This may be a silly question but...

If we go to MK in am, take afternoon break and when we try to come back, they have reached max capacity. Would we be able to go to another park without park hoppers? TIA

Diz-Knee
04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
This may be a silly question but...

If we go to MK in am, take afternoon break and when we try to come back, they have reached max capacity. Would we be able to go to another park without park hoppers? TIA

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you are a Disney Resort Guest then I believe you are guaranteed entrance...correct?

MOJoe
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
It's a combination of factors:
Spring break is still going on
Easter weekend
Accommodation and dining incentives
Northerners getting fed up with a long winter
US vacations still a good buy for Europeans

Put it all together and you get massive crowds at WDW. Attendance levels have been higher than normal for the past couple of months, but not reaching park capacities until now.

Thanks Ron, for the quick response.
I feel like i am :beat: with this remark, but with all the talk of the bad economy, billions of retirement fund dollars lost, as well as corporate layoffs in WDW and elsewhere, ect., ect.........having these capacity crowds just doesn't make sense. I guess i watch too much T.V. news.

DizneyRox
04-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you are a Disney Resort Guest then I believe you are guaranteed entrance...correct?
Incorrect... At phase 4, even the president would be turned away.

I believe the wording is guaranteed admission to A park, which would mean not necessarily the one of your choice.

Also, is any of this related to the cutbacks in CM hours, etc.? I'd have to guess that if they aren't staffed accordingly, capacity within the park is reduced as well. For example, if they only have the staff to run pirates through one queue, the capacity of pirates would be reduced, which would impact the entire park's capacity. Same with restaurants, etc. if they can only feed x number of people they can't let more than that into the park.

This is the first I've heard of phase 4 in a while, AND this far away from a holiday to boot. Seems strange... I'd like to know the actual number of people, that would tell a much more accurate story.

MOJoe
04-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Also, is any of this related to the cutbacks in CM hours, etc.? I'd have to guess that if they aren't staffed accordingly, capacity within the park is reduced as well. Seems strange... I'd like to know the actual number of people, that would tell a much more accurate story.

You have a good point, but Disney has been increasing park hours and adding shows the last 2 weeks to accomodate the huge increase in attendance. Fantasmic is back to 2 shows a night all this week. Surely if Disney is doing that, then both queues at Space and Pirates are up and running.

Insanity Clause
04-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Man, I really hope the crowds thin out a bit before we get there. We leave in 12 days for our trip from April 20-27. I know there will be crowds but I am hoping they will be in the light to moderate category!

Ed
04-07-2009, 05:43 PM
...with all the talk of the bad economy, billions of retirement fund dollars lost, as well as corporate layoffs in WDW and elsewhere, ect., ect.........having these capacity crowds just doesn't make sense.

True, but you also have to take into account the fact that many of the folks there now made their reservations many months ago, before the economy took a big drop. I would also suspect that a fair number of people simply want to engage in some "escapism" to get away from their woes and try to recharge their spirits.

And, as Ron pointed out, international travel is up quite a bit, judging from the full flights coming into MCO every day from the UK, Germany, Brazil, Panama, Canada, etc.

beksy
04-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow, I think at that point I would either just stake out a bench and send whoever was with me for snacks (Dole Whip Floats would keep me calm) :blush: . I have prepared myself for NY's Eve being like this but have never heard of it at this time of year. Then I look outside, see the snow, and think maybe it's not so bad!

MOJoe
04-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I would also suspect that a fair number of people simply want to engage in some "escapism" to get away from their woes and try to recharge their spirits.

Now that is an explanation i can live with.

Mousefever
04-07-2009, 06:53 PM
We left DW on Saturday. I guess we left just in time! The parks were not that bad last week. Busy, but not unmanageable.

Amy

DizneyRox
04-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I think we established MK real capacity is somewhere around 72,000 or so. There can't be that many in MK on a Tuesday the week before Easter. You don't take this week off, you take next week off and extend your vacation a day with Good Friday.

Giggy
04-07-2009, 07:54 PM
What does Phase 4 capacity mean? Are there also Phases 1-3 with different capacities?

Maleficent's Dad
04-07-2009, 08:03 PM
There can't be that many in MK on a Tuesday the week before Easter. You don't take this week off, you take next week off and extend your vacation a day with Good Friday.
Oh yes there can!

I gotta tell ya, we go to WDW only when schools are closed. These crowds are some of the worst we've ever seen - including Christmas week(s).

The MK is insane.
BTW, DHS was CLOSED today as well - two parks closed at once. That's not something I've read/heard/seen too often before!!!

Insanity Clause
04-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Speaking from experience on going on vacation with a lousy economy...we always use our tax refund. We don't have money to do this kind of thing without it. There are other more practical uses we could use it on such as fixing up the kitchen I keep putting off doing or any variety of other things but we don't do vacations very ofter so to us it is worth putting off some of the other things in order to spend a week alone with out children without computers, or video games or any of the other multitude of distractions. We are planning another one in Dec 2010 which once again will be paid for with our refund.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Wow, I think at that point I would either just stake out a bench and send whoever was with me for snacks (Dole Whip Floats would keep me calm) :blush: .
Oh, boy....Thanks for just saying "Dole Whip Float" ...Made me forget about today for a minute, and I just loved picturing that scene for myself...:papple: :cloud9:
It's crowded at school, too, but I'd still rather be at the World!

Bohms4
04-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Talked to my BIL who is there right now. He was at Epcot today and heard about MK closing. He said that it was crazy at Epcot but it wasn't the crowds that were annoying, he said that it seemed like WDW staff was not prepared for a crowd like this. He was ecstatic when his son "scored" a couple of pretzels b/c some of the vending "kiosks" they previously went up to were out of food!

DisneyGlutton
04-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Man, I really hope the crowds thin out a bit before we get there. We leave in 12 days for our trip from April 20-27. I know there will be crowds but I am hoping they will be in the light to moderate category!

If you get a chance upon your return, please let us know how it went. We're going May 2 and I want to be mentally prepared for the crowds if necessary...

He was ecstatic when his son "scored" a couple of pretzels b/c some of the vending "kiosks" they previously went up to were out of food!

While I'm glad he got some pretzels, that is pretty alarming that they were running out of food!

joanna71985
04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
What does Phase 4 capacity mean? Are there also Phases 1-3 with different capacities?

Yes. They are:
Phase 1:

At this phase, Day Guests with Magic Your Way Base Tickets or a 1-Day 1-Park Ticket, Guests without Theme Park admission and Cast Members using Main Gate & Silver Passes will be turned around at the Auto Plaza. Guests meeting these criteria are told the Theme Park has reached capacity.

Phase 2:

At this phase, Theme Park admission is limited to Disney Resort Guests, Annual and Premium Annual Passholders, Guests with Park Hopper tickets crossing over from another Park, and Guests re-entering this Park today. Guests using Walt Disney World Resort Transportation and Guests in taxis will be admitted. Guests not meeting the above criteria are told the Theme Park has reached capacity.

Phase 3:

At this phase, Theme Park admission is limited to Disney Resort Guests, Annual and Premium Annual Passholders, Guests of Shades of Green at the Walt Disney World Resort and Downtown Disney Resort Area Guests using their respective transportation. Guests not meeting the above criteria are told the Theme Park has reached capacity.

Phase 4:

Closed to all Guests and Guests are told the Park has reached capacity.

GrumpyFan
04-07-2009, 10:58 PM
I think we established MK real capacity is somewhere around 72,000 or so. There can't be that many in MK on a Tuesday the week before Easter. You don't take this week off, you take next week off and extend your vacation a day with Good Friday.

Why do people doubt that there really isn't this many people there right now? The week before (and after) Easter is EXTREMELY CROWDED according to Intercot's own tables here (http://intercot.com/infocentral/weather/whentovisit.asp). Add to that the 4 for 3 special, plus spring break for a lot of areas in Florida and other parts of the country.

emmatink
04-07-2009, 11:11 PM
It's spring break in Georgia this week so I know that we are contributing to the high crowd levels. Spring break is usually the week before Easter here so I can see why this is traditionally a busy week in WDW.

DizneyRox
04-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Why do people doubt that there really isn't this many people there right now? The week before (and after) Easter is EXTREMELY CROWDED according to Intercot's own tables here (http://intercot.com/infocentral/weather/whentovisit.asp). Add to that the 4 for 3 special, plus spring break for a lot of areas in Florida and other parts of the country.
Because it doesn't make sense. Coming from someone who only travels during school holidays I understand when WDW is crowded. But you see, according to other CMs, last July 4th (historically one of the top three busiest times of the year), none of the parks hit phase 4. The economy has soured even more since then. Disney has "massacred" their staff in recent layoffs due to lowered than needed profits.

The math doesn't add up... It's entirely possible that this is happening, but Disney doens't get caught off guard like this. They can forcast like you wouldn't beleive. If attendence is truly in the toilet, we wouldn't be seeing all these deals, etc

That's all I'm saying...

syndrome
04-08-2009, 06:51 AM
It may not make sense but I am here at Disney and it is wall to wall people. We were at HS at the rope drop yesterday and by 11 TSM had no more fast passes and at 1:15 the stand by wait was 200 minutes! Every show that we went to was packed all day long. Fantasmic was SRO at 8:10 for the 8:30 show. Another factor yesterday was the "cold" weather. A lifeguard from BB was at HS helping with crowd control b/c he said there were only 20 people in BB. We are on the way out the door right now on our way to MK. I will post tonight and let you know how the crowds were. Despite the craziness my son and I are having a great time!

grumpyguy
04-08-2009, 07:14 AM
big crowds?that's great news!!!!
(of course I'M NOT THERE!!!!):(:thumbsup:

paragon
04-08-2009, 07:23 AM
How often does the park reach Phase 4? Does anyone know when the last time was that this happened? And how often do TWO parks hit this limit?
Does Disney reimburse if you arrive and the park has closed?

Toad_Passenger
04-08-2009, 07:34 AM

Were there blackout dates for the 4/3 special, though? If there were wouldn't the 2 weeks surrounding Easter be during the blackout dates? I'm just wondering.

Stu29573
04-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Were there blackout dates for the 4/3 special, though? If there were wouldn't the 2 weeks surrounding Easter be during the blackout dates? I'm just wondering.

I don't think there were any blackout dates...

IloveJack
04-08-2009, 08:45 AM
You don't take this week off, you take next week off and extend your vacation a day with Good Friday.

Well... most of the schools around here are going to a 4-day weekend at Easter, giving the students Good Friday and Easter Monday. Maybe families are taking this week and next Monday instead? It's still the same number of vacation days. Who knows... but I'm glad we're going in October. Of course, I'd still rather be there than here no matter how crowded it is. :mickey:

MOJoe
04-08-2009, 09:26 AM
it doesn't make sense.
It's entirely possible that this is happening, but Disney doens't get caught off guard like this. They can forcast like you wouldn't beleive.

While i agree that Disney can schedule and forecast like no other company, it does appear that this time is different. And that they indeed have been caught off guard.

You wouldn't lay off 1900 just before the largest crowds in years.

I'm sure there are some "suits" that are all saying to each other just what we have been saying......... "It doesn't make sense."

Here's hoping the crowds will settle down by June! :cool:

DizneyRox
04-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Reimburse for what? Time? Gas money?

Well before phase 4, the parking lots are closed and there are/were signs put up all over property about the closing.

DawsonAR
04-08-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm very surprised by this!

bucky at disney
04-08-2009, 09:47 AM

I do believe there were blackout dates around Easter - we were looking at going at this time of the year as well, decided not to - partly because the offer wasn't running over Easter. I just can't find the original offer to quote....

Venus0880
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
My goodness!!! I can't believe it. I just can't believe it. I am a little bit happy that people are still visiting though.

HollyLagrange
04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
This totally freaks me out. We are going Aril 19-25. The boyfriend has never been and I would sure hate it if we spent the whole time miserable.

GrumpyFan
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
This totally freaks me out. We are going Aril 19-25. The boyfriend has never been and I would sure hate it if we spent the whole time miserable.

I wouldn't worry too much. Crowds will drop back to reasonable levels after next week is over. But these two weeks before/after easter are the second busiest times of the year, after Christmas.

joanna71985
04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
How often does the park reach Phase 4? Does anyone know when the last time was that this happened? And how often do TWO parks hit this limit?

Typically some of the parks hit a Phase closing on 4th of July, Christmas, New Year's Eve, ect.

And no, Disney doesn't reimburse people if a park is closed for one of the Phases.

FenwayGirl
04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Easter week is always crowded. I did that week once...never again!@!

WDWdriver
04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
It's happening again. MK went to Phase 3 at 12:10 today.

homeschool mom
04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! I don't know what else to say. That is one reason my family has always stayed away during spring break/Easter season. I guess that's not hard to do for a homeschooling family, but I can understand why others would want to go now. I hope everyone there can make the most of this situation and have a good time. :mickey:

I'm just hoping all this craziness will be over for my anniv. trip alone with DH April 17 - 24! :mickey:

Down to single digits now - 9 days and counting!

brdavis
04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Because it doesn't make sense... The math doesn't add up...
Note that when a persons theory or expectations don't agree with an observed reality, it's usually not the reality that is at fault :). You may give all the reasons you want to, but if your conclusions don't agree with observations, then you haven't considered everything.

Don't feel bad, it seems fairly clear that Disney (who really is skilled at this sort of thing) also didn't consider everything.

We'll be at WDW early in the week before the 4th of July... far more of a "peak time" then we've ever hit previously. Getting table service reservations (for in some cases 14) has been difficult already, and a lot of cases simply not possible. Good for Disney - it's nice to see an institution I enjoy riding out the economic storm (well, I hope).

--
Brian Davis

haley's mom
04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Anyone have pictures to share? I'd love to see the crowds.

Tygger7
04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Because it doesn't make sense. Coming from someone who only travels during school holidays I understand when WDW is crowded. But you see, according to other CMs, last July 4th (historically one of the top three busiest times of the year), none of the parks hit phase 4. The economy has soured even more since then. Disney has "massacred" their staff in recent layoffs due to lowered than needed profits.

The math doesn't add up... It's entirely possible that this is happening, but Disney doens't get caught off guard like this. They can forcast like you wouldn't beleive. If attendence is truly in the toilet, we wouldn't be seeing all these deals, etc

That's all I'm saying...

Basically, a lot of school's are on Spring Break right now...that's why my DD16 is there. She also went the same time period in 2007 and MK closed to capacity during the week then as well. This has historically been a very busy time period...in fact, during discussions with CM's about busiest vs. least busy times, the week before Easter is usually on par with Christmas & the 4th of July. Personally, I think Disney came up with these discounts & offers to maintain attendance rather than because they had already seen a huge decline in attendance. In other words, proactive instead of reactive. Whatever the case, it's still crazy there, and crowds are terrible today as well.

cgriff
04-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Stream of consciousness responses to some of the things mentioned in this thread...

There *were* some blackout dates for the 4/3 offer, but I do not know whether this week was one of them.

Good Friday is this week (not next week), so it makes complete sense to me why so many would be taking this week off to visit WDW.

Though there were recently WDW CM layoffs, the WDW Resort has also been holding job fairs around the country; so, WDW might be in the midst of the process of "upgrading" some key CM talent before the summertime.

merlinmagic4
04-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Hope the crowds die down by the 19th. We're locked out at phase one, being offsite.

MOJoe
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Anyone have pictures to share? I'd love to see the crowds.

No pics, but on another blog someone reported that they could not see pavement in any direction. With the possible exception of straight down!

In other words, shoulder to shoulder everywhere. :(

Imagineer1981
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
wow...economy is turning around!!!

CaptSmee
04-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Incorrect... At phase 4, even the president would be turned away.

I highly doubt that, but we get the point. lol! good luck to anyone crazy enough to visit this week! :party:

Goes4FastPass
04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
OK, can we now stop hearing poor old Disney is going to have to find more ways to offer less and charge more because the economy is killing them?

PrettyMinnie
04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Yikes! :jaw:

javamama
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I just got off the phone a few minutes ago w/the Poly Planners about our trip, she said today it's a Phase 3. So a bit better than yesterday, but she was at Epcot Sunday, and 2 hour waits for everything--crazy. She aslo said the Parks/Resorts aren't really down for the year maybe 3-4% it's Disney's other areas, retail, DVD sales, etc... So the parks are kinda of recession proof this year thanks to the promos.

princessesmom
04-08-2009, 06:10 PM
This is spring break week for the NYC metro area - that is a tremendous amount of people with children. We have friends there this week because of the school vacation. I don't think it should come as a surprise that it is really crowded.

syndrome
04-08-2009, 07:14 PM
My DS7 and I just returned from a full day at MK. We arrived at 7:30am and were allowed to go right in--we are staying off site this week so we were surprised. We headed straight to SM--DS7's new favorite ride!--but of course it was down and we had to get fast passes for 12-1. It was shoulder to shoulder and people were everywhere!!!! One other factor to add--lots of foreigners are also here this week which coupled with US spring breaks adds up to the insanity. But hey it is Disney and as my son said this afternoon--"Hey dad, it sure beats sitting in school!" Since I am a teacher I had to agree with him. Tomorrow we head to Epcot.

pixiesmimi
04-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Stream of consciousness responses to some of the things mentioned in this thread...

There *were* some blackout dates for the 4/3 offer, but I do not know whether this week was one of them.

Good Friday is this week (not next week), so it makes complete sense to me why so many would be taking this week off to visit WDW.

Though there were recently WDW CM layoffs, the WDW Resort has also been holding job fairs around the country; so, WDW might be in the midst of the process of "upgrading" some key CM talent before the summertime.

You know, I just thought about this. With all the talk of the amount of layoffs and business being bad, I forgot that they had a Disney job fair here recently, somewhere around Montgomery or Birmingham. I had forgotten about that. The question is, why would they be holding job fairs if they are laying off 1900 people unless it is upper level management that they are getting rid of, which they have done before so they can hire people at a lower salary. We have friends that the DH was upper level management and they offered them early retirement with a good pension several years ago. He refused it and then he got laid off without some of the benefits he deserved after all those years and that he would have gotten if he had taken the early retirement. At least I think he got laid off. He may have just retired but didn't get his benefits.

We went the week of Easter a few years ago and the crowds really weren't that bad and the parks were never closed for a day. That is why it surprised me when they said it was so crowded this week already. Our Spring Break here starts Friday and goes through next week, so there will probably be a crowd again next week since it is really too cold to go to the beach right now.

Maleficent's Dad
04-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Disney doens't get caught off guard like this. They can forcast like you wouldn't beleive. If attendence is truly in the toilet, we wouldn't be seeing all these deals, etc
Disney knew well that the crowds would be insane this week; they actually forecasted record breaking attendance this week. All the CM's knew it was coming, all the hotel staff was aware as well.

Case in point: The MK is open 7 AM - 1 AM daily, with EMH bringing it to 3 AM several days this week.

Attendance is not only up, it's through the stratosphere. DHS seems to handle these crowds worse than any other park. The MK has become the proverbial zoo this week.

Many, many schools in the NY metro area are on spring break right now. Apparently, so is everyone from NJ (as those are the people I meet, it seems!). Throw in the UK crowd, and the ever-present South American contingent, and you have some busy parks here...

Even the "quiet pools" at OKW are crowded!!!

Lots of people here, folks, lots of people! :mickey:

Crow
04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I arrive Sunday afternoon.
what days next week do you think the parks might be more manageable?

CaptainSad
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
wow...economy is turning around!!!

I hate to be a person that bursts someone's bubble. But Whoa... don't jump the gun yet. This by no means, means you should think the economy is turning around. Far from it. Lay-offs are still into the hundreds of thousands a month. I hope you don't think feeding these failing businesses with money is going to jump start the economy. I have noticed a lot of people including our elected officals have not taking Economics 101 or have forgotten what they taught us in school. Giving this money away is only going to make it worse. Inflation is going to sky rocket in the future.

The only reason it is busy, is the time of year/ the free nights that Disney is offering/the ones that planned before this mess started and the foreign visitors. That's it. You take away the 3 nights you would see a big difference in attendence. I am planning for December. But I know of three families that have cancelled for later this year because of either losing their job or the fear of losing their job. And more are going to do it as the year goes on.

GrumpyFan
04-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I arrive Sunday afternoon. what days next week do you think the parks might be more manageable?

Not good news. It will be very crowded until about Wednesday or Thursday. Then you'll start to notice a difference as the crowds decrease slightly.

trackbarroness
04-09-2009, 09:44 AM
If that's true then why are they buying food and what not? And walking accross the land every day since this past Sunday has been more like a dance then actually being able to walk accross. Then how come we're not as bad off as the last time the ecomony soured? People are still spending money in the parks. People are asking for Casmic Rays I haven't seen people bringing food into the parks like they have been known to do. This week and next we're on manatory 6 days.

DizneyRox
04-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Disney knew well that the crowds would be insane this week; they actually forecasted record breaking attendance this week. All the CM's knew it was coming, all the hotel staff was aware as well.

Attendance is not only up, it's through the stratosphere. DHS seems to handle these crowds worse than any other park. The MK has become the proverbial zoo this week.

Lots of people here, folks, lots of people! :mickey:

Thanks for answering my question... It's not that I didn't believe the crowds were there, but only going by a Phase 4 closure is misleading if you're talking about attendence. A understaffed park would reach Phase 4 much sooner than a fully staffed park.

I was wondering if the layoffs caused the closure because of lack of CMs or if it truly is running at full capacity.

MGM is probably the worst of the four in terms of crowd control. I hardly visit during off times and NEVER on a major holiday. MK is a zoo regardless, holidays just bring out the worst in people, I don't need a double whammy.

MOJoe
04-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Case in point: The MK is open 7 AM - 1 AM daily, with EMH bringing it to 3 AM several days this week.

These are not the hours that were posted 2 months ago. They have only recently been changed. So it looks like Disney wasn't expecting record attendance until the crowds were nearly at the gates.

I arrive Sunday afternoon.
what days next week do you think the parks might be more manageable?

The UG has crowds listed at a 10 till the 16th and then a 9 till the 20th.

The only reason it is busy, is the time of year/ the free nights that Disney is offering/the ones that planned before this mess started and the foreign visitors. That's it. You take away the 3 nights you would see a big difference in attendence.

I disagree.
There is something else going on. The resorts being fully booked does not mean that MK or DHS may close due to over capacity. I am beginning to think that the recent crowds are made up of many who are within driving distance, with the lower cost of gas providing an incentive to travel.
Also, we have been discussing the economic downturn for over a year now. Many of these visitors may have skipped a visit, and we are now seeing them return, albeit, at virtually the same time. So in my opinion, it is not so much the economy, but the price of gas that is the difference right now.

joelkfla
04-09-2009, 12:34 PM
They have been extending MK hours and adding Spectro's at the last minute for the past few weeks.

So much for current management's planning skills.:humph:

GrumpyFan
04-09-2009, 12:46 PM
There is something else going on. The resorts being fully booked does not mean that MK or DHS may close due to over capacity. I am beginning to think that the recent crowds are made up of many who are within driving distance, with the lower cost of gas providing an incentive to travel.
Also, we have been discussing the economic downturn for over a year now. Many of these visitors may have skipped a visit, and we are now seeing them return, albeit, at virtually the same time. So in my opinion, it is not so much the economy, but the price of gas that is the difference right now.

I think there are several factors involved.

4/3 special for rooms
Spring Break for many schools
Low gas prices
Easter week
Tax Refunds?
Weather

But still, this week has always been a busy week. I think the 4/3 special just pushed it over the edge.

Disney missed it too. Their original plans/forecasts were expecting lower crowds, which explains why they adjusted hours at the last minute.

BTW: Phased closings at MK again today. It was reported that as of 11:30am, MK is at phase 2 - Only resort guests, AP/PAP, Park Hoppers, guests re-entering the same park admitted, ONLY if using a taxi or resort transportation. (Auto Plaza is closed)

Anthony
04-09-2009, 02:01 PM
My parents tried going to Aquatica at Sea World today and ran into the same issue. I wonder what Magic Kingdom crowds are like today?

MOJoe
04-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Grumpyfan,
i agree with everything except the 4/3 deal being the proverbial straw.
Every WDW fan should know that the weeks around Easter are some of the busiest of the year. But Phase 4 closings are usually reserved for July 4th and the days between Christmas and New Year's Day.
Bringing in weather as a factor is probably spot on. There may be hundreds of thousands on vacation within driving distance of WDW thinking that it is too cool to go to the beach. At 72 degrees, a day at a theme park sounds pretty good.

WDWdriver
04-09-2009, 02:37 PM
... I wonder what Magic Kingdom crowds are like today?

Mk was at capacity earlier today, but as of 1:00 pm it has reopened. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are currently closed due to full capacity.

merlinmagic4
04-09-2009, 05:59 PM
At what times do the parks tend to reach capacity? I would think if you get there early enough (first couple of hours) you wouldn't have any problems.

GrumpyFan
04-09-2009, 06:04 PM
At what times do the parks tend to reach capacity? I would think if you get there early enough (first couple of hours) you wouldn't have any problems.

The parks tend to reach their max for the day around Noon or just slightly earlier. Most people like to try and get there before mid-day. But, the ones who are there at opening, tend to leave early (mid-afternoon) also.

Slight correction. According to Dealing with crowds at Wald Disney World (http://intercot.com/infocentral/crowds/dealingwithcrowds.asp)

The parks usually hit peak capacity between 11 AM and 3 PM.

DreamFinder2
04-09-2009, 09:50 PM
My DW and I always travel to WDW during mid to late March, so we're used to higher-than-normal crowds, but...

...this thread has me PETRIFIED about our recently-booked 12/19-12/25 trip! I don't want to be "locked out" of MK!!!

Maleficent's Dad
04-10-2009, 07:17 AM
...And to add on to this thread, both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach closed yesterday due to reaching capacity (Thursday, April 9). That in addition to the MK closing yesterday at 11:30 AM!!! (Not phase 4, however.)

And I thought Christmas week and President's week were crowded! :mickey:

twinboyz
04-10-2009, 08:56 AM
What would happen if you had dinner reservations in the park? We are going in August and we're hoping it's nothing like this, but what if? Would we just lose our reservation? We are planning a late reservation at R&C for illuminations so we probably wouldn't head to the park until later in the day.:confused:

trudisneygal
04-10-2009, 09:31 AM
We just got in last night (or I guess early morning) from being there yesterday. We were at MK, and had been there for everyday they reached full capacity and closed, and let me just say that, even though yes it was the absoulte BUSIEST I have EVER seen it, I think Disney did a GREAT job of handling these crowds!!! I was in awe of how SUPER FAST we actually got to the main entrance to MK every morning!! As soon as we were parked there were trams loading people and taking off, one right after the other! Then, yes, the Monorail WAS crowded, but the wait was not very long at all! They always had a Monorail ready to pick up more people just as soon as one took off from the TTC! Not to mention the Ferry Boats, which can hold a LARGE number of people at one time. In fact the very first night we got there, we went for the 3am EMH and we were told that the Ferry Boats were the ONLY WAY to get to MK that night, because the Monorail wasn't running! We thought "oh great! It'll take forever" BUT IT DIDN"T! We got right on and were there pretty quickly. And, as far as the crowds inside on all of these level 4 days: they are VERY manageable IMHO. As long as you get there early enough to get FPs for your "must do", or most popular rides, you can still do A LOT of other rides/shows as well. At least we did! Lines for our favs such as HM, PotC, SW, Laugh Floor, TTA, and LOTS of others move more quickly then it's posted most of the time. I can't tell you how many times we stood in line for something and said to each other," that didn't take as long as it said". Now granted there are lines for EVERYTHING, but it was not at all discouraging, for us at least. We usually go at off-times during the year, and have never, ever had to deal with this kind of crowd level, but we were truly pleasantly surprised. Not to mention that QS lines moved super fast too! We always got our snacks/lunch/dinner pretty quick, considering the crowds! I am giving Disney TWO THUMBS UP for they way they have handled this week!!! I could defiantly see that they in fact WERE expecting this to happen, and have dealt with it very well. BTW, the other parks were crowded as well, but once again IMO, very well managed. AND, if you are staying on Disney property, take advantage of the EHM at night!!! It's the BEST time to ride everything. I'll be posting more later!

Bohms4
04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
We just got in last night (or I guess early morning) from being there yesterday. We were at MK, and had been there for everyday they reached full capacity and closed, and let me just say that, even though yes it was the absoulte BUSIEST I have EVER seen it, I think Disney did a GREAT job of handling these crowds!!! I was in awe of how SUPER FAST we actually got to the main entrance to MK every morning!! As soon as we were parked there were trams loading people and taking off, one right after the other! Then, yes, the Monorail WAS crowded, but the wait was not very long at all! They always had a Monorail ready to pick up more people just as soon as one took off from the TTC! Not to mention the Ferry Boats, which can hold a LARGE number of people at one time. In fact the very first night we got there, we went for the 3am EMH and we were told that the Ferry Boats were the ONLY WAY to get to MK that night, because the Monorail wasn't running! We thought "oh great! It'll take forever" BUT IT DIDN"T! We got right on and were there pretty quickly. And, as far as the crowds inside on all of these level 4 days: they are VERY manageable IMHO. As long as you get there early enough to get FPs for your "must do", or most popular rides, you can still do A LOT of other rides/shows as well. At least we did! Lines for our favs such as HM, PotC, SW, Laugh Floor, TTA, and LOTS of others move more quickly then it's posted most of the time. I can't tell you how many times we stood in line for something and said to each other," that didn't take as long as it said". Now granted there are lines for EVERYTHING, but it was not at all discouraging, for us at least. We usually go at off-times during the year, and have never, ever had to deal with this kind of crowd level, but we were truly pleasantly surprised. Not to mention that QS lines moved super fast too! We always got our snacks/lunch/dinner pretty quick, considering the crowds! I am giving Disney TWO THUMBS UP for they way they have handled this week!!! I could defiantly see that they in fact WERE expecting this to happen, and have dealt with it very well. BTW, the other parks were crowded as well, but once again IMO, very well managed. AND, if you are staying on Disney property, take advantage of the EHM at night!!! It's the BEST time to ride everything. I'll be posting more later!

At least you're having luck in the MK. My BIL is there right now too and he said that he's really disappointed with Disney as far as operations go. He spent the last 2 days in Epcot and said that there is clearly not enough staff, the food "kiosks" kept running out of food and some of the rides kept breaking down (not sure which ones he was referring too, I'm sure TT was one of them). He thought the 1st day was just a fluke but then all of the same problems occurred again the 2nd day. He's at DHS today and he said it seems better than Epcot so far. FYI...he thought MK was running as smooth as it could with considering the crowds.

Meteora
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
What would happen if you had dinner reservations in the park? We are going in August and we're hoping it's nothing like this, but what if? Would we just lose our reservation? We are planning a late reservation at R&C for illuminations so we probably wouldn't head to the park until later in the day.

A dining reservation won't get you into a closed park so, unfortunately, yes, you would lose the reservation.

Crow
04-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I arrive Sunday (12th) in the afternoon, plan to hit Epcot after checkin.
Im guessing I should avoid MK the first 2 days or so............

Mousemates
04-10-2009, 02:22 PM
wow...this thread is making our annual new year's eve trip sound like an "off-season" breeze.

TheVBs
04-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Go trudisneygal! :D It sounds like you had a great time! :thumbsup:

doodleboy
04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
If you get a chance upon your return, please let us know how it went. We're going May 2 and I want to be mentally prepared for the crowds if necessary...

We are going to be there on May 7. I am confident in saying that we will have a very different experience from the Spring Break/Easte crowd that is there now. Even if it is busier than usual, it will be hard to match this caos. Spring break is over, with the exception of some NE schools the last week of April, and it is too close to summer break for many people to pull kids out of school. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. After all, you will be in WDW.:party:

Kenny1113
04-10-2009, 05:16 PM
ditto to what trudisneygal had We were @ MK on wens 4/8 and Ak 4/9 and beloved that the crowds were managed very well.and we also felt there were several rides that did not take as long as stated times. As long as you get the must do's done early or FP early your fine. Having only gone during off seasons I was not used to this and tried to get a FP for space Mtn around 1:45 and they were gone!belive it or not despite all the crowds we still had a Great time!

syndrome
04-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Trudisneygal--I must agree with your comments on how well the crowds were dealt with this week. I was VERY impressed with all of the CMs and their attitudes this week. It was more crowded than I have ever seen--I have not been Christmas/New Year's week--and yet we did everything that we wanted to do. Yesterday my son and I went to Epcot and at 8:30 they let everyone in and the rides were all up and running--30 minutes before the listed opening time! We rode TT twice w/out FPs and then headed over to get our Soarin' FPs. Funny nugget--the line to GET our FP took 20 minutes and then when we returned at 1:30 to ride it took a whopping 10 minutes to go thru the line!!! We also had a blast doing the Kim Possible experience. My DS is 7 and he thought it was the COOLEST! We had a great time all week and it was kind of wild to be a part of such a crazy week.

Kenny1113
04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
in regards to 4/3 deal. I could be wrong but I remember reading that it was not offered these weeks.

Tinkermom
04-10-2009, 06:22 PM
My DW and I always travel to WDW during mid to late March, so we're used to higher-than-normal crowds, but...

...this thread has me PETRIFIED about our recently-booked 12/19-12/25 trip! I don't want to be "locked out" of MK!!!

We were at WDW this past December from 12/18-12/23. 12/18 was pretty quiet. We went right to MK and got there around 1PM and there were hardly any people on Main Street! It was so pleasant! :thumbsup: Wait times were minimal. 12/19 was only slightly more crowded. Each day we saw an increase in crowds and by 12/23 it was pretty crowded but nothing like what is being reported this week. By 12/22 ride waits were running about 45 min to 1 hour(or more) for the more popular rides. I am sure it was pretty crowded by Christmas day but most of your trip should be pretty pleasant assuming no big changes from this past year.

DreamFinder2
04-10-2009, 08:34 PM
We were at WDW this past December from 12/18-12/23. 12/18 was pretty quiet. We went right to MK and got there around 1PM and there were hardly any people on Main Street! It was so pleasant! :thumbsup: Wait times were minimal. 12/19 was only slightly more crowded. Each day we saw an increase in crowds and by 12/23 it was pretty crowded but nothing like what is being reported this week. By 12/22 ride waits were running about 45 min to 1 hour(or more) for the more popular rides. I am sure it was pretty crowded by Christmas day but most of your trip should be pretty pleasant assuming no big changes from this past year.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now I can sleep again :)

dumboears
04-11-2009, 10:17 PM
:dumbo:

Was just there for the week 4/5 - 4/10 and the crowds were awful. It felt like we were packed in like sardines. All parks were packed by early morning to the point that you could not move. I spoke with a cast member at the MK on Wed. and she told me that the park had been at peak crowed Mon. Tues. and they were expecting 74,000 for Wed. and it felt like it.

I listened to some very bad advice and did not do the morning extra hours thinking crowds would be at the other parks with EMH - I was wrong.

Advice to those newb’s who are foolish enough to go during the peek season. Take advantage of morning extra magic hours. We did get to do the EMH for the MK and were able to ride/see most of the attractions before 9am and had FP to all the Mountains to ride a second time.

kemps@wdw
04-11-2009, 10:46 PM
We just had some friends return last night from the World, and said the same thing! They were even told that 2 of the parks had reached capacity and were supposedly closing the gates to further guests! WOW...! :eyes:

TheRustyScupper
04-12-2009, 08:07 AM

1) Yep.
2) During Christmas Week, MK does get full.
3) Especially Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
4) Frequently MK will Max-Out.
5) In fact, folks go to be on TV during the Christmas Parade.
6) Of course, this is impossible.

stephntampa
04-12-2009, 08:29 AM
:dumbo:

Was just there for the week 4/5 - 4/10 and the crowds were awful. It felt like we were packed in like sardines. All parks were packed by early morning to the point that you could not move. I spoke with a cast member at the MK on Wed. and she told me that the park had been at peak crowed Mon. Tues. and they were expecting 74,000 for Wed. and it felt like it.

I listened to some very bad advice and did not do the morning extra hours thinking crowds would be at the other parks with EMH - I was wrong.

Advice to those newb’s who are foolish enough to go during the peek season. Take advantage of morning extra magic hours. We did get to do the EMH for the MK and were able to ride/see most of the attractions before 9am and had FP to all the Mountains to ride a second time.

I think that most people on these boards would suggest that you DO take advantage of AM EMH, then when the park starts getting hot and crowded go back to your hotel/park hop/etc. My family likes to sleep in so it is nearly impossible to get them up that early.. even at Disney!

DizneyFreak2002
04-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Easter Week is always busy, isn't it??? I am sure this year was helped by the 4/3 promotion, especially in this tough economic time... But, I am still glad to hear the parks are packed..

LudwigVonDrake
04-12-2009, 01:09 PM
From all that I read the crowds this past week were nuts. I'm sure it's a combination of Easter week and the 4/3 special. Either way I'm glad I wasn't there this week :laughing:

dumbo ears
04-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Im glad I didn't go that day. I went that wed and it was crazy crowded and then on friday it wasn't bad at all

leighe
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
We were there from 4/4-4/11 and I didn't think the crowds were any worse than any other spring break trip I've ever taken to Disney. (But keep in mind that I'm a teacher so we always go at the busiest times - fall and spring breaks and in the summer). The days we did MK we did make sure to be there at 6:45 - which actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - and we thought the place seemed empty until 10am or so. Of course, we were also travelling with toddlers so we didn't do the Mountains or any of the thrill rides at the other parks. I was expecting to just be miserable all week and was actually pleasantly surprised.

leighe
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Im glad I didn't go that day. I went that wed and it was crazy crowded and then on friday it wasn't bad at all

We didn't think Friday was bad either. The waits for the Fantasyland attractions seemed to hover at 25-60 minutes most of the late afternoon.