PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy?

Figment78
04-07-2009, 02:18 PM
to like the regular resort rooms better than villas? DH and I go back and forth constantly about whether to buy into DVC. Especially after spending the last vacation stuffed to the gills in the WL room with our 1 year old and all his stuff! (pack & play, baby food, diapers, etc) We were okay, but in retrospect, Poly (or a villa) would have given us a little more extra breathing room.

Anyway - we did the DVC tour while there. I have been researching DVC for years and financially, it would probably make sense for us to join, especially if we plan to bring others with us (like my parents or his). BUT, while I love the Animal Kingdom Villa room decor and layouts, I just can't bring myself to commit to staying there every time - it's just "too far removed" from our favorite park areas. I love the monorail advantages or the walking advantages of the Epcot resorts. While we have favorite resorts, we'd like to try others - like the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, and Caribbean Beach. Yes, I know that BW and BC have villas, but I just don't like their room decor as much as the refurbished counterpart hotel rooms. We toured both the BWV and WLV also and I did not like the WLV decor at all and would really miss walking through the main lodge lobby or looking out over the courtyard pool. (please don't flame, it's just my opinion). BW and BCVs are nice, but the refurbed rooms are so gorgeous and the villas are not getting that total rehab. And the Contemporary is just not my vacation style at all.

So currently, we've decided not to buy in. I KNOW that room rates will go up. I know that the villas give you more space (not to mention the kitchenette I sorely needed on our last trip). But I just can't pull the trigger. I figure that if we really feel we need more room for a few years, I'll save up and pay cash for a villa or get two rooms at a moderate, or hope for connecting rooms with the grandparents.

Am I totally nuts? Does anyone else feel this way?

Cinderelley
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Not nuts. It's just not for you, like it isn't for us.

BMan62
04-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Stupid question: Did they give you anything to do the DVC tour? DW wanted me to sign up for a timeshare tour down in Williamsburg so that we could get two day Busch Gardens tickets. I was wondering if DVC did anything like that.

LovinWDW
04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
When we did the tour they gave us 4 fastpass cards. Each card had 2 fastpasses on them for a total of 8 fastpasses. They were good for any ride that had fastpass and you were able to go on the ride as soon as you got the fastpass. You did not have to wait for the current return time.

diz_girl
04-07-2009, 03:07 PM
No, you're not crazy. Although everytime I see someone with a thread title of 'Am I crazy?' I always want to reply yes, just for fun.

I have also considered buying into DVC. I know that you can use your points to stay at non-DVC resorts, but when you do that you aren't maximizing your points. I'm a big fan of the Poly and they don't have a DVC resort yet, but I'm still not sure if I would buy in if it had a DVC.

DVC isn't for everyone and you are finding out that right now it isn't for you. Don't beat yourself up about it.

tys_mommy
04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
When we did the tour they gave us 4 fastpass cards. Each card had 2 fastpasses on them for a total of 8 fastpasses. They were good for any ride that had fastpass and you were able to go on the ride as soon as you got the fastpass. You did not have to wait for the current return time.
We got something similar last April when we did the tour - 1 card per person and you could get 3 FP per card. Anyone know if we do the DVC tour again can we get this incentive again?

javamama
04-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I liked WLV for the convience of everything when we stayed there, mainly because my dd was 8 months old. I needed a dishwasher, and fridge, plus the washer/dryer was nice to use the one time I used the dryer. Other than that I'm a regular resort kinda girl. ITA w/you:thumbsup:

thejens
04-07-2009, 04:37 PM
No, I don't think you're crazy either. I personally like maid service every day. I LOVE coming home to my beds made etc. Also, like you, I like the flexibility. I even enjoy staying at the value resort for one night just for fun. Too bad they don't have a "frequent flyer" program for the loyal return customers/fans!

beksy
04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm the same way too, although right now I could buy even if I wanted to! I like the flexability of staying at different resorts and don't do laundry or cook on vacation.

emmatink
04-07-2009, 11:19 PM
I don't think you are crazy either. DVC isn't for us either. We like staying at all the different resorts and it just seems like it would take us forever to get the money out of DVC that we would spend up front.

kemps@wdw
04-08-2009, 11:05 PM
"Things Not To Do On Vacation"...

1. Cooking
2. Cleaning
3. Laundry
Don't I do enough of that @ home? DVC simply is not for us either. We did the "tour", and liked what we saw. And as much as we visit the World, we considered it, but ultimately didn't like the idea of investing all that $ and never actually owning anything, so we passed. We did, however, get a complimentary meal @ Japan for our time.

Note: A "Frequent Flyer" program for loyal return quests? What a GREAT idea!:thumbsup:

Seasonscraps
04-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I know that the DVC is not for everyone, but if buying into DVC gave my family and I the means to vacation regularly I wouldn't let the decor prevent me from doing so. There are villas in all areas of WDW now - including the monorail route.

I do miss the maid service but like having a kitchen/kitchenette/washer & dryer. We usually have breakfast in the room and maybe a snack or something in the evening. I'll run maybe 2 loads of laundry during the week which allows us to pare down what we need to bring which is great considering most of the airlines charge to check bags now. And this is sad to say but a dishwasher and laundry in my room is a perk since I don't have either at home.

My biggest drawback was that we didn't exchange for other vacations and I am now Disney'd out.

[I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, but I see both sides]

KayDee
04-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I would say your not nuts. Since you are willing to pay for the resort rooms for each trip then so be it. For us DVC was the only way we could stay at places like the OKW and so on, and I do hear what you are saying about DVC villas not being like the resort rooms.