PDA

View Full Version : England, Wales and Ireland for 2010

MNNHFLTX
04-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Based on a related thread about Dublin, I see some folks in this forum have been to Ireland. So I thought I would tap your brains for a trip tentatively planned for the summer of 2010. We plan to fly into London and spend some time there and in the English countryside. We've been there before so have a good idea of what we want to do. We also plan to drive out rental car over to Wales, spend a few days there and then take the ferry out of Fishguard over to Rosslare (Ireland) and drive around the Republic for a five or so days too. Right now our itinerary includes Galway, Connemara, Cong in County Mayo (husband is a big Quiet Man fan) and Dingle. What other recoomendations would people have for sights to see in the southern part of the Republic? How about the southern part of Wales?

Melanie
04-09-2009, 02:59 AM
Beth, you guys take the BEST trips! Hope you can get some good tips. :thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
04-09-2009, 10:09 AM
I have never been to Ireland, but I have spent a substantial amount of time in England. What a lovely holiday you have planned!

A few years ago, we went over and stayed in Gloucester (England) for a few days, and used it as our central "hub". From there we were able to go down to Bath, and see Stonehenge etc....but we were also able to go over to Wales! Wales is absolutely one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and the Tintern Abbey (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Tintern_Abbey-inside-2004.jpg)(an Abbey in Ruins) is possibly the most breathtaking thing I have ever seen. It is well worth a visit.

Euby
04-22-2009, 01:26 AM
My father and I went to Ireland for two weeks in Sept 2007. The highlight of the trip for me was going to the School of Falconry at Ashford Castle in Cong. (www.falconry.ie) I did the Extended version and it was fabulous.

Another thing to do is spend an overnight on the Aran Islands.

If you have any questions or want recommendations for places to stay, feel free to email me off-site. I planned our entire trip on my own.

Kristi

MNNHFLTX
04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
My father and I went to Ireland for two weeks in Sept 2007. The highlight of the trip for me was going to the School of Falconry at Ashford Castle in Cong. (www.falconry.ie) I did the Extended version and it was fabulous.

Another thing to do is spend an overnight on the Aran Islands.

If you have any questions or want recommendations for places to stay, feel free to email me off-site. I planned our entire trip on my own.

KristiSo glad that you mention having done the falconry school at Ashford Castle--I had read about that before and actually have it as part of our itinerary! In fact, I think we will probably stay at Ashford Castle one night as a splurge (staying in an authentic castle was on my "must-do" list for this trip).

I will look into the Aran Islands and also Tintern Abbey (thanks to you too, Jennifer!) And I may take you up on your offer for recommendations as we get closer to the trip, Kristi--thanks!

c&d
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
We spent our honeymoon in Wales 14 years ago. We rented one of the National Trust homes for the 2 weeks we were there. I think you can rent some of them for a couple of days instead of a week. Our cottage was lovely, set on an estate with a 30 acre garden. It's a great alternative to a hotel.

We visited all the Castles in the area. We also took some wonderful hikes when we were there.