PDA

View Full Version : First time at Pop

AvonleaCF
04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi!

We're staying at Pop for our first time. Any advice about this resort? Previously we've stayed at POR and Wilderness Lodge.

We're excited about one bus stop, and the food court looks good. I think we're going to rent a fridge while there.

Anything else we should know?

Thanks! :mickey:

tink179
04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
You'll love staying at Pop! My recommendation would be to request either the 60's or 70's bldg. They're close to the main pool, the food court, and the buses. Have a great time there!!!

dizneefan67
04-07-2009, 01:03 AM
I have never stayed there personally, but throughout my 10 years of planning a trip that has not yet happened I looked at everything for POP, since we were gravitating towards it!
#1. If its just you and partner and don't want to be bothered with noise, kids and families, then I would suggest staying at 1950's or 1980's-1990's building since these are away from the preferred rooms with the kiddie pool.
#2. The food court looks like it would be awesome too, and if you can swing it try to get the Quick Service Dining plan added which gives you 2 QSR's , 2 Snacks, and a refillable mug for resort beverages only! Its a great deal when you disect the costs of food, drinks and snacks!
#3. POP is NON SMOKING and there are designated smoking areas on the path by the lake and also by the pool areas. They will charge you $50+ if they have to air out your room.
#4. Generation Gap Bridge goes thru the middle of the lake and puts you into Phase 2 of POP, which was torn down after the attacks on September 11th. The only buildings that have survived are the main building and a few room buildings. If :mickey:you can look at these rooms without getting caught, its really interesting to see the BARE NECESSITIES of the motel rooms before al the icons, paint and Icons are added. Its kind of eerie to see this abandoned motel...looks like a good place to film a horror movie! LOL
Have a Great trip!

Will

TiggerD
04-07-2009, 06:50 AM
We have stayed at Pop 3 times and are heading back in September. We loved it. The theme, the pools, the food court was great. :mickey:

Tinksalot
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
We prefer staying at POP out of all the value resorts offered. The buses go from the hotel right to the parks without making any other stops along the way. We really appreciate that after a long day at the parks! :mickey:

Nini5055
04-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I am also a repeat POPer! :thumbsup:

It is a great resort with tons of icons around to take pics with. I never had an issue with noisy pools or hearing toilets flush in the night.:confused:

Just make sure to plan enough time to get to your ADR's and you will be fine. Also, the food court at POP is awesome!!! I always get the parmesean chicken meal...yummmmm!!!

We found POP to be clean and Mousekeeping visited daily...we also had lots of towel animals and my dd's toys were set up to look like they were holding the tv remote and watching tv. :D

The front desk was helpful and courteous and housekeeing was prompt when called for xtra towels...if you go swimming and don't bring your own beach towels, request extras ahead of time so you have dry towels in your room.

You will have a fabulous time!!!!:mickey:

IATwinsMom
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
We LOVE POP!!! The resort is great and we have been to deluxe on down to value. The food court is great. The pools are fun for kids. The bus wait times are better than most moderate resorts we have stayed at. I am sure you will love it there:mickey:!

PopeCharming
04-08-2009, 12:04 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by Pop! (Although walking around the 80s pool reinforces that if the road to hell is paved with good intentions, the soundtrack to hell is provided by Hall and Oates.)

FenwayGirl
04-08-2009, 10:24 AM
How is the layout in comparison to ASmo or ASmu. We are staying at POP for the first time and I really don't want to end up at the back of the resort (kinda like being stuck at Mighty ducks or Rock n roll)

Charlee
04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
This year is my third time at Pop and we really enjoy staying there.
The rooms are clean, they are a decent size, the mousekeeping have always been fantastic and we always got left cute towel animals!
The resort is quite large and sprawling, it can sometimes be a 5 minute walk from the 90s/80s block to get to the buses/food court, we never minded this as it was away from the main areas of activity and was quieter for adults but if you want to be nearer it is probably best to request the 50s/60s blocks.
The theming is fun and cute, I always love wandering around and looking at the massive icons! The pools are fun and the computer pool and the bowling pin pool are generally not too crowded if the main hippy Dippy pool is busy.
The food court is very good especially if you are not doing dining plan. Usually we tend to eat at least one meal at the food court each day, sometimes all of them, we do some ADR's but generally prefer to pick up a CS meal at the food court. They have some very good choices, flatbreads, turkey ciabattas, and a yummy beef and noodle dish. There are different options to the usual counter service offerings but there is still burger and fries! And we love the frozen coke machines that you use your refillable mugs for!
I just can't wait to get back there... :cloud9:

PrettyMinnie
04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
We have only stayed at POP once, but we loved it! Check out the gift shop and the arcade! They are great and the theming is great! You will have a great time.

Pop Centurion
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Besides what others have said, try to make time to walk around the entire resort to see all the icons. I especially like to do this at night when there's hardly anyone out so I can take some great night pictures. Also be sure to walk along the lake and read all the signs with bits of pop info throughout the years.

I am also a repeat POPer! I like that. :thumbsup:

johnO
04-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Pop is good, Movies is better.....:thumbsup:

AdventurerKim
04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Love POP! We stay in the 50's. The atmosphere is great as is hearing all the fun music! Love the one bus stop!

hauntedmansiongirl
04-09-2009, 02:51 PM
We really enjoyed POP all 3X we stayed. Only complaint was when we were in the 50s bldgs, we heard the big jukebox come on at 8am. Also, you can hear a lot of kids running around early in the morning. Other than that, POP is great. The food court is awsome (nightly "TV dinners" are always amazing), and the lobby memorabilia is really fun to check out. There are lots of old toys etc. up on the wall from each decade. So much fun!!

AvonleaCF
04-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks all! We're really looking forward to staying here. :)

ransam
04-12-2009, 04:28 AM
take some time to explore, the generation bridge is kind of cool..I did that the last day, and looking forward to doing it again.

dancin Disney style
04-12-2009, 10:39 AM
How is the layout in comparison to ASmo or ASmu. We are staying at POP for the first time and I really don't want to end up at the back of the resort (kinda like being stuck at Mighty ducks or Rock n roll)

POP is little more spread out. Similar to ASMo but not in a row like ASMu. The 80's and 90's would be like staying in the Mighty Ducks.

The 50s, 60s and 70s have the prefered rooms but only half of these buildings are prefered. If I were to stay there again I would request a 60s non poolside room. That would be the closest to the food court. The 70s are the closest to the buses. The 80s and 90s are also close to the buses if you cut through the parking lot. You can get a fireworks view from the 4th floor on the back of the 50s.