PDA

View Full Version : Funny story about the Pirates ride

ransam
04-06-2009, 01:53 PM
This is a true story!
My sister and i were on the Pirates ride this past December. In front of us were a couple college age guys and what i'm assuming were there dates. the guys were talking about disney and how much they loved it.. one of them mentioned that one of the main reasons Walt made Disneyland was so he could keep his movies alive through rides....like the Peter Pan ride, the Snow White Ride, etc......they went on talking and then one of the girls asked how long the pirate's ride had been at Disneyworld...and one of the guys said, and he was seroius "well it can't be too old, the first pirate movie only came out a few years ago...."
maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" moments, but it was funny at the time.

KAJUNKING
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
thats pretty funny, im sure he was trying to impress

drummerboy
04-06-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't think most of us realize how well schooled we are in all things Disney until we hear statements like that. I think I'll get a bumper sticker for my car that says "Proud to be a Dis-Nerd." :D

DZNYGUY
04-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Make one, I will buy it!

marylynne95
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
This is a true story!
My sister and i were on the Pirates ride this past December. In front of us were a couple college age guys and what i'm assuming were there dates. the guys were talking about disney and how much they loved it.. one of them mentioned that one of the main reasons Walt made Disneyland was so he could keep his movies alive through rides....like the Peter Pan ride, the Snow White Ride, etc......they went on talking and then one of the girls asked how long the pirate's ride had been at Disneyworld...and one of the guys said, and he was seroius "well it can't be too old, the first pirate movie only came out a few years ago...."
maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" moments, but it was funny at the time.

That is very funny!! :funny:

I don't think most of us realize how well schooled we are in all things Disney until we hear statements like that. I think I'll get a bumper sticker for my car that says "Proud to be a Dis-Nerd." :D

Very true!! :thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
04-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Very funny.:D

castlelady36
04-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Cute!! And just goes to show ya what a guy will do to impress a lady!! :mickey:

cmshelton1979
04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Haunted Mansion must only be a few years old too since the movie just came out not too long ago hah

PixieMagic
04-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Haunted Mansion must only be a few years old too since the movie just came out not too long ago hah

LMAO - I was just thinking that as I read her story!

Pop Centurion
04-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I've heard plenty of people in WDW talking to others like they know everything while giving inaccurate info but this is probably the funniest. Great story & thanks for sharing.

gerald72
04-06-2009, 05:32 PM
He was trying to impress his girl. I bet he had a better night than I did.

Mousemates
04-07-2009, 01:15 AM
:):thumbsup:

ransam
04-07-2009, 04:52 PM
He was trying to impress his girl. I bet he had a better night than I did.

very good point...I was there w/ my sister.. .he was there w/ his girlfriend....who is the bigger fool. ha.

beksy
04-07-2009, 05:48 PM
:funny: That is so funny! As for being there with your sister, at least you were able to relax and enjoy the ride without trying to impress someone (says the recently-broken up 26 year old who always goes with her sister!).

IloveDisney71
04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
LOL!!!:mickey:

brownie
04-08-2009, 12:11 PM
:funny: Great story, thanks for sharing!

Imagineer1981
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
thats great! I would have been mad if those guys were talking the whole ride if it wasn't so funny...great story

CaptSmee
04-08-2009, 02:55 PM
well...he's not entirely wrong, it did get updated after the movies came out. He was only off by what 30 years?!? lol! :blush:

Disneypixie513
04-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Haha, that's so funny. I would have been so tempted to say something.
I've had a similiar expirience, though not at Disney. I was chatting with my then BF, about the rides at Disney. (He has never been.) I mentioned POTC, and he asked what kind of ride that was and if that was the ride based off the movie. I laughed and told him that the ride was way before the movie, and that it was one of the oldest rides. He was very skeptical, and asked if I was sure. Then after a bit, he finally looked it up and admitted that I was right.

ojeilatan
04-08-2009, 03:50 PM
On our last trip, we had a lady say something along the lines of, 'You've got to be really good looking to get a ride pretty much built around you' implying that Pirates opened after the movies and was centered on Johnny Depp. :D

gerald72
04-08-2009, 06:15 PM
It also says a lot about the quality of the ride that people can't tell it's been there since 1973.

crltkcagle
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
A cm told my grandmother the same thing on her trip. She was told that the movie was the inspiration for the ride. I tried explaining to my grandma that POC ride has been around alot longer than the movie but she wouldn't believe me. I finally had to break out the pictures from our trip in the 80's to prove it to her.

Arielfan98
04-09-2009, 12:03 PM
That's ha ha hilarious! Now obviously for us we're probably saying to ourselves "what?!?" but to the Disney "average" they probably don't even realize their making fools out of themselves.

[QUOTE]I don't think most of us realize how well schooled we are in all things Disney until we hear statements like that. I think I'll get a bumper sticker for my car that says "Proud to be a Dis-Nerd." [QUOTE]

Yes I'll gladly buy one if you make it.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-09-2009, 09:42 PM
He obviously doesn't hang out here or he'd know when it was opened.

I would have started laughing out loud!

Ryan Towle
04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
And this is exactly why I hated/hate the refurb.:ack::down::bang:

handmaidenofprincesses
04-11-2009, 02:18 PM
See, this is exactly the sort of thing where I would get myself into trouble... because I would have done the wrong thing and would've just HAD to open my big mouth and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but...." and then proceeded to correct him. After all, isn't it better to educate people than let them live on in their Disney ignorance??? :blush:

trudisneygal
04-11-2009, 03:16 PM
And this is exactly why I hated/hate the refurb.:ack::down::bang:

Yeah, I was afraid this kind of thing would happen more. Oh well! That is a cute story, and I too would have totally corrected him in a skinny minute! :mickey: