PDA

View Full Version : tent camping in july?

busterthebronco
04-06-2009, 07:20 AM
the economy has hit hard at our house (i am in construction) but we cant make it through the summer.
is tent camping on july 4th weekend crazy?
we are not planning on visiting a park (its ok, weve done it before) since there is so much to do at FW.
have we lost our minds?

medic9016
04-06-2009, 08:46 AM
We tent camped mid Sept at FW and it was hot in the tent during the day. We used two box fans at night while sleeping. It will be extremely hot in the tent during the day in July. I have seen people put window unit air conditioners in a side door or window of the tent. You can hang a tarp above the tent to keep off some of the direct sun. Setup some kind of canopy to sit under during the day to keep the sun off you. It can be done just use a little caution with the heat during the day.

Goofeygal
04-06-2009, 09:02 AM
We have camped in a pop-up in july we have air in ours. It is extremely hot and humid. If you do this you will propably be very uncomfortable during the day. Even the evenings can be very humid.

ibrowse17
04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
You can do it, but just be ready for how hot it will be. The only thing worse than a long hot day in the parks, is a long hot night in your tent. Fans will help, more than you think. You can also grab a lawn chair and head for the comfort station for some instant AC:thumbsup:

ayeckley
04-10-2009, 12:47 PM
We tent camped there in August last year, and we did fine. Just plan on spending lots of time at or near the pools and it'll be a great time. Not sure about July, but in August it tends to rain for a few minutes each morning which goes a long way to cooling things down.

My opinion: You are not crazy.

I'm just hoping that you already have a reservation. Things will most likely have been totally booked on July 4th for a long time. Good luck!

Daddy Mouse
04-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I remember some people had tents and checked in the same day we did. Later the next night they had a rented camper at their site. I don't know if it was planned or not. It was hot and humid during the day and still 90% humidity and low 70's during the night. I would be miserable.

Tyson The Lab
07-19-2009, 11:36 AM
4th of July '07 we were there and tent-camped. It wasn't really that bad. We had a couple fans going at night. Showering was funny though because you could towel off and get completely dry and put on your shirt and by the time you got back to your site, it looked like you hadn't used a towel on your back. Keeping hydrated is the most important thing, but being in construction, we both know that...

tjstrike
07-20-2009, 01:02 AM
You're braver than I am, I was in construction for 15 years and I know I don't want to spend my vacation in a tent in FL, especially the 4th of July !! :ack: