PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans

titleistboy
04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey, y'all...

My wife and I are looking at taking a trip to WDW this fall, and are thinking about the Port Orleans, French Quarter...

Anyone have any thoughts, tips, or suggestions?

Thanks!

Dulcee
04-05-2009, 09:49 PM
POFQ is lovely. I stayed there about three years ago. I love the theming, walking around the pathways at night with all the lamps is just fantastic. Food court is yummy and the resort is nice and compact.

You get to use all the ammenities at POR and theres a boat to take you down to DTD.

I personally don't think you can go wrong with POFQ or POR.

morebroccoli
04-05-2009, 09:54 PM
hmm, i am more partial to the Coronado. we stayed at POFQ this past Nov and it felt sorta run down, outdated, and just sorta blah. maybe it just reminded me of the early 90's with all the giant creepy outdated semi life-like "party" people painted on murals everywhere... or the food court with the cheap hanging giant dusty and old instruments and neon. it just felt cheap to me. i know others love it and i remember loving it in the early 90's when i stayed there before, but this time it just didnt do it for me. the food court also offered very little variety since it is so small.

it could also be that we went during the coldest November on record and were literally painfully freezing to death everyday we were there. (no exaggeration here!)

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
We are fans of POFQ. We've been twice, and are headed back in May.

We love that it is small resort, nothing is too far away. The boat to DTD is a great change from the busses.

My DD loves the pool and the slide. DH enjoys the theming (and the poolside bar!)

The food court is small, but we never had any trouble finding something good to eat, everything was fresh and made-to-order (especially the beignets!)

titleistboy
04-05-2009, 10:01 PM
That was fast guys, thanks!

LudwigVonDrake
04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I stayed at POFQ last summer and I'm going back this year. It's not spread out so you don't have far to walk. The food court was fine. I can't tell you about the pool because I never got into it because it rained every day (most of the day) :rain: Maybe this year :mickey:

rkwctw
04-06-2009, 07:55 PM
We love POR and will be there again in June. It has a good food court and is centrally located to everything. The pools are nice and located close to most rooms. We have never had any type of problem at POR.

tinksmom02
04-06-2009, 08:43 PM
We love POFQ. I love how compact it is, but you never feel crowded. The food court may be on the small size, but the food is good. Beignets, definitely! The pool is adorable. We love the boat ride to POR and DTD.

Elliot Dyson performs at the Scat Cat lounge--he's a great musician, but Bob Jackson at POR is not to be missed!

Enjoy! I think you and your wife would like POFQ!

KevMcNJ
04-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Loved POFQ.

I purposely got up every morning @ 5:30am so I could take a quiet walk around the property to start my day when we were there in Feb.

Small and quiet.

Easy ride to Epcot too.

Id go back there but we like to try different resorts each visit

Crow
04-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Ill be there Sunday for the week. Stayed there few yrs ago for a day or 2 & liked it. I also like CS.
Ill report on my stay when i get back.

garymacd
04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Love it. We love the size and the theming. I personally think the dusty instruments and neon lights add part of the attraction. It's like an old warehouse for the Mardi Gras parade floats.

Our main reason for liking it so much is the size of the resort. It is an easy walk to anywhere in the resort.

The fact that we can get beignets is an added plus.

dancin Disney style
04-12-2009, 11:33 AM
POFQ was always my dream resort to stay at. We finally tried it in 2007. I totally loved it. Our room was perfect, we were in building 5 right beside the food court. Very close to the bus stop and the pool. Although, with it being so small everything is close to everything. The boat to DTD is really nice and we used it a lot. The atmosphere is very cozy and laid back. The decor made me feel like it was more of a deluxe resort. We could even see some of the Epcot fireworks from outside our 3rd floor room.

I really want to try a few other resorts before repeating any but it's really hard to not book POFQ again for this year.

PiratesCove
04-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I enjoyed POFQ. I would ask for building 4 which is right next to the bus stop! I also liked the the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory Food Court. It serves burgers, pizza, taco salads, baked goods, ice cream, muffaletta sandwiches, gumbo and jambalaya.
And lets not forget...Beignets! The bar has live music and it has a laid back feel. I plan on staying there again!

I hope you and your wife have a grand trip!

cindchan
04-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Be sure to take to boat to or from DTD. It's a nice relaxing ride. And you get to see Old Key West along the way. ^_^ :sail:

tdk316
04-13-2009, 02:31 PM
POFQ all the way! My DH and I have stayed there many times, and while it may not have the neatest (from a kid's pov) pool and such, the location, size and availability of buses made it a winner for us! The only reason we're not staying there this time is because we're bringing two little ones and want to be able to walk to MK.

tinkerted
04-13-2009, 05:40 PM
you need to see elliot dyson he's the best thing there he is the musician at port orleans he is great he's there wed-sun from 8-12

GoldenDreams
04-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Excellent choice. It is romantic and relaxing. I too like Building 4. It is a nice simple walk to the food court, the store, and the bus stop. But you really can't go wrong anywhere there.

My only other tip is to try dinner at the food court sometime when you get back from the parks. You get a pretty nice meal (I like the spaghetti dinner) and it is nice and quiet in the food court in the evening. I just love to be back at the hotel at night. I often take a book and just hang out in the food court and then the shop while my son and husband play in the arcade. I must have stayed there too many times because it is starting to feel like home. :mickey: