PDA

View Full Version : may or august?

crltkcagle
04-05-2009, 02:21 PM
We have a trip booked may 27- june 3rd. We are thinking of changing it to an august trip to get the free dining. (we paid for dining with our may trip) question is when is it more crowded? I am not too concerned about the weather as we are from Louisiana and find it pleasant in Florida since they dont' have the humidity we have, so we can take the heat. But what would your choice be?

Pirate Granny
04-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Well....August is value season for the hotel rates. So you save $$ there besides the free dining...HOWEVER...there is TONS of humidity in Florida in August...it's the start of the storm season there, and expect rain for a short period at least once a day...at least at the end of August. We were there the beginning of September and the baby slide right out of my arms it was so humid...smile...and I'm from Michigan and while I'm not used to humid and very warm, I deal very well with extremely warm...but the humidity did surprize me, didn't bother me...but did bother everyone else. I would think the crowds could be heavier in August as the kiddies are still out of school, whereas May they are still in school.
:pirate:

MickeyMousse
04-05-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure you'll find much of a difference in crowds in May or August.

May will have the early released schools out and on vacation.....while by mid August school's reopen in the south but us here up north are still making our way down for our last weeks of summer vacation! (not me, I like the Fall!)

But, if I had to choose.....I think I'd go in May. Just because it's sooner!

Darbylew
04-05-2009, 03:48 PM
It I had the choice I would choose May. It gets
so hot in August and it is humid. We live in the
panhandle of Florida (Pensacola) and it sure
gets hot and humid here. I have been in May
and it wasn't bad. A lot of schools don't get out
until further into June so I don't think it would
be crowded. A lot of schools don't start until
after Labor day in some areas. I know you will
have a great time no matter when you go. :mickey:

AllDisney
04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
I'd pick May over August anytime. May weather is rather pleasant. Warm days & evenings. It can be unbearable, but not as unbearable as August is everyday.

If money is an issue then go for free dining and go in August.

Have a great time:mickey:

JRocker
04-05-2009, 08:39 PM
We've been in August, and we have been in May.
Leaving weather and money saved with the free dining plan out of the equation, May wins hands down.
Just basing this off of my own experience, the parks were packed when we went in August.

kid@heartforever
04-06-2009, 08:25 AM
May wins with me also! Being from Louisiana we went to Disney in July one year thinking the heat would not be an issue, boy were we wrong! It really becomes a factor in the vacation because the heat really becomes unbearable during midday. It really slows you down. I'm sure if you really need to save as much money as possible ( and who doesn't these days!!!!) you will still have a great time in August! But I'd stick with May if possible!:mickey:

cmsizzlin
04-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Well we are going in August this year. 1st time we went was Aug of 07 and yes it was hot/humid but definitely doable. We went for our 2nd trip Oct of 08 and it was just as hot and humid. Since we can't do winter vacations due to school and work schedules we will just tough it out in the Aug heat and humdity. It really doesn't matter to us as long as we are there. You can always leave during the hottest part of the day to swim, relax and come back to the parks and if it is less expensive in August I say GO FOR IT.

c&d
04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Odd man out, I enjoyed WDW when were down in August and would definitely go again at that time. Yeah it was wicked humid but we planned accordingly. We went to the parks in the evening or later in the day and found them to be basically empty. We never had to wait more than 10-15 mins for any ride.

We made full use of the pool, we stayed at CSR and the water parks.

Add the free dining to the mix of lower room rates and I wouldn't hesitate to go again in August.

WDW_Obsessed
04-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I've been several times in August, and in my opinion the heat and humidity really weren't that bad. It was definitley toasty, and my DH looked forward to getting inside the air conditioned attractions, but we stayed hydrated and were just fine. Granted, I don't have children, so I'm not sure how it would have affected them. Also, I thought the crowds were obviously heavier than off season, but manageable. I will say, however, that it may be much busier w/the free dining plan. We have utilized the free dining plan and we saved a TON of money. It was unreal to me how much food we got on the plan! However, I've never been in May, and have no idea about the crowd levels.

#1donaldfan
04-06-2009, 11:07 AM
...yes ..... May and August...do both....

....actually, we really liked August...yes it was hot, but what fun we had....the only set back I can think of is that it's hurricane season then.....just sayin.....:mickey:

crltkcagle
04-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for all of your replies, I think we are sticking with May. Only because we are in the New Orleans area and August is usually evacuation season for us. So I would rather be home packing up all my valuables instead of in WDW worrying I would lose everything. That is if we would have to evacuate. Rather be safe and cautious. Thanks for all of your replies!

mjaclyn
04-06-2009, 03:31 PM
I've never been in May before but DH and I did go in August one year and we will never do that again...

The heat (for us) was completely unbearable and the crowds were extremely high. Normally we travel to WDW in late September/October or January to avoid large crowds. We were both so hot that we had to leave the parks early every day and head back to the hotel to cool off. Personally, I would stick with May even with the free dining promotion because I think the heat and crowds will be better than in August.