PDA

View Full Version : All Veterans, No Rookies- Day 1

pink
04-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Cast-

Me, 19- All around Disney lover and aficionado.-13th trip

DB (brother), 12- Disney enthusiast, could and would sing you any Disney song.-7th trip

DM (mom), 46- Child at heart, loves everything about Disney World.- 12th trip

DD (dad), 46- Not such a fan but is willing to be a trooper and join us.- 11th trip

Hotel-
Pop Century

Days-
March 12th- 17th

Day 1- Traveling and Epcot

We were all packed and ready to go and left our house at 8 am. We use a car service every time and got to JFK airport within 40 minutes, there wasn't much traffic on the road. We flew JetBlue and they just opened their new terminal which is much bigger, much nicer and is shaped like a martini glass. My DD always makes us get to the airport way too early so we had an hour to kill before the plane started boarding. So that means me and my DM got to go shopping in the new stores. We went to a I love NY cheesy tourist store and got some toys to amuse my brother on the plane. I also found the best annivesary card for my DBF. We went and got my DD something to eat on the plane and by the time we got back it was time to board.

Originally we were in the back of the plane but with my discounts I was credited back from my September flight we were able to upgrade to the front of the plane- free of charge. The second row was much roomier and I wish we could sit there every time! I took my motion sickness medication and was out for the whole flight, it honestly felt like it was 15 minutes long. It was actually 2 hours and 10 minutes. We left a half hour late from the airport but somehow we always get there on time.

We were excited to get off the plane first instead of waiting for others to get off and doing that awkward off the plane shuffle. We realize quite quickly though that just because you get off the plane fast that doesn't mean you get your luggage fast. They were redoing the baggage claims and they shoved three flights into one claim. It was very crowded. We got our baggage after a few minutes and then headed over to our Hertz shuttle which took us to their location. It was about seven minutes from the airport. We got our car. A grey, Ford Fushion and off... we sat. For a long time. My DD was lost and insisted on using the prehistoric GPS in our rental car even though we brought our own with us. We sat for a good 45 minutes fiddeling with that thing. Adventually my DD decided to use both the rental cards GPS and ours at the same time. So not to get confused, we had two different devices yelling out direction at us.

Eventually we found our way onto the right highway and off we went to the Pop Century. We got there at 3pm and there was no line to check-in and a very nice CM named Amanda who informed us that her favorite park was Epcot. We didn't get our first request for rooms but we did get a nice room in the 70's section which was close to the food court. We stayed in rooms 406 and 407 which had a great view of the Mickey phone, the fooseball players and the giant big wheeler.

We changed into more Florida appropriate attire and headed to the food court. The food court was busy, I wasn't expecting it not to be. However, I did have a very strange cashier. He refused to talk, instead of telling me my total he pointed to the register, he didn't answer my question and instead of saying hi he waved. I don't know what that was about but anyhow right after we were off to Epcot!

We had a 10 minute wait for the bus. When we got in the gates DB was already a little panicky and tired from the long day but he wanted to keep on going. My DM and I stopped at guest relations to get my DB's GAP pass. Our Disney trips would be nonexistenet without it. (My brother is austistic and our old trips used to consist of going on two rides per day and then he would have a meltdown and that was it. By the way, I had read about how they give you a hard time to get a fastpass these days, they didn't even ask to see paperwork.)

We went straight to Soarin and had a 15 minute wait. We were in the 2nd row in section A. It was just as magical as it always is. Next we went to the Living Seas which we haven't done in awhile. We went to the new Finding Nemo ride. I like the que and the "mine" birds outside, I thought it was creative. However, we all agreed the ride left much to be desired. DM and I wanted to check out the aquarium section at the end of the ride but DB was getting antsy to ride Test Track so we had to leave. We got on Test Track within 10 minutes and DB loved it. DB wanted to try a new ride so he and my DM went on Mission Space. I get extremely motion sick so my DD and I sat this one out. DM said it was tamer than Star Tours but I still remained unconvinced. DB got a pin for his pin trading collection of Mission Space. We decided to go back to the room for the night.

Epcot really isn't our favorite park and you could tell DB was getting to his breaking point for the day.

The bus was waiting for us at the bus stops in Epcot. When we got back to the resort DM and I walked around the gift shop to get some wonderful presents for the people and animals we had left back at home. My mom got a Mickey mouse, black and white dishtowel and some Mickey shortbread cookies for my grandma. I got a Mickey mouse todempole backscratcher for my DBF, a bowl for my dogs and some postcards to send while we were there. They were kind of outdated looking by the way.

We once again, ate at the food court for dinner that night, but this time the food court was even more packed than during the afternoon so we just got our food at brought it back to the room to eat. We all unpacked and then rested for our next full day in Disney World!:mickey:

Next up: MK

SBETigg
04-04-2009, 01:39 PM
What a great day! I'm glad you got there and managed to get the pass for your brother and everything worked out well. I love Soarin!

faline
04-04-2009, 03:22 PM
You're off to a good start!

pdrlkr
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

vizsla
04-05-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the report.

castlelady36
04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a great start!!

PrettyMinnie
04-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the report! Sounds like a good first day! :minnie:

the other micki
04-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Sounds like a nice day with a sweet family. Wonder what was up with that cashier?