PDA

View Full Version : hellp, empty nesters thinking of relocating to Arizona

Tiggerlovr9000
04-03-2009, 12:07 AM
In two years our youngest will be graduating from highschool and my dh would like to move somewhere warm. I have no idea how to start the research on jobs, housing etc. I am in the service industry and my dh is in production and used to be a machinist. I think because of his age 52, now that it might be a problem trying to find a job. We want to live in a town with approximately 10,000 people. Any suggestions?? I am really excited about the idea but also scared..

NotaGeek
04-03-2009, 12:24 AM
The economy in Arizona is HORRIBLE and jobs are scarce. I moved from Phoenix to Spokane last year ... just remember, Arizona is HOT (120 degrees in the summer ... and summers last 7 months!).

For a nice smaller town check out Wickenburg ... it's small, cute and still very Southwestern, but not too far to commute to the Greater Phoenix area to increase the job possibilities. Another option would be Kingman -- for towns in higher altitudes consider Payson or Prescott.

For a town near Tucson consider Tubac ... it's great the Tucson area is a bit cooler than Phoenix.

vicster
04-03-2009, 09:08 AM
In two years our youngest will be graduating from highschool and my dh would like to move somewhere warm.

That's an interesting question as we've been thinking the same thing. Arizona is out as it is too hot in the summer, Florida is too humid. Maybe we're just destined to stay in the Chicago area...

AZ Disney
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
We moved to AZ about 4 years ago from the SF Bay Area and I have mixed reviews on the decision. We came from such a beautiful place.

-the heat - its' unbelievable horrible! but you do adjust to it after a few years.
-On the flip side when you're enjoying beautiful days in Jan/Feb you think this is why I live here.
-Jobs are scarce and pay is really LOW!
-Traffic is really heavy, but this was nothing new to me. I can't really imagine commuting from Wickenburg into PHX, but I guess it is possible.
-Dry Skin - lotion and more lotion!
-Dust and more Dust! and then there will be a dust storm.
-broken windshields from all the debris on the roads.

I know that was sort of a negative review of AZ. It's not all bad, but the items above really stand out to me.

Cinderelley
04-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Hmmm, it's really funny how everyone assumes you're moving to the hottest area in Arizona. Yes, Phoenix can get really hot - that's why I love it here , but snow is just a couple of hours away.

I would decide where you would like to live temperature wise, and then start looking into job markets, housing, etc.

Phoenix is hot. Tucson is a bit cooler. They are both a lot bigger than your estimated 10,000 people.

Wickenburg is probably about the right size. Weather runs highs of 60s to 100s.

Sedona's population is about right too. The cost of living there is probably higher than average. Highs 50s to 90s.

Pine/Strawberry is smaller - about 3,000 people. Highs 50s to about 90.

Payson population is about 15,000. Highs 50s to 90s.

There is a lot of diversity in Arizona. Look around and you'll probably find something you're looking for.

NotaGeek
04-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Hmmm, it's really funny how everyone assumes you're moving to the hottest area in Arizona. Yes, Phoenix can get really hot - that's why I love it here , but snow is just a couple of hours away.

I would decide where you would like to live temperature wise, and then start looking into job markets, housing, etc.

Phoenix is hot. Tucson is a bit cooler. They are both a lot bigger than your estimated 10,000 people.

Wickenburg is probably about the right size. Weather runs highs of 60s to 100s.

Sedona's population is about right too. The cost of living there is probably higher than average. Highs 50s to 90s.

Pine/Strawberry is smaller - about 3,000 people. Highs 50s to about 90.

Payson population is about 15,000. Highs 50s to 90s.

There is a lot of diversity in Arizona. Look around and you'll probably find something you're looking for.

Look around -- find a town that appeals to you and then visit in the middle of July-end of August before you make up your mind to move to town ... :thumbsup: