PDA

View Full Version : Tusker House

PixieMagic
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
So apparently this is a TS restaurant, but it is not listed under info central as being on the DDP....is it?? Is it a 1 TS meal? Also does anyone have any reviews or a menu for it?? My family is thinking about staying in AK for a full day for the first time and looking at TS options...Any info would be appreciated, thank you!! :thumbsup:

wendy*darling
04-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Tusker House is on the DDP as a 1TS meal. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner- all buffet style.
The breakfast is a character meal - Donald's Safari Breakfast.

I have not dined there since the transformation from CS to TS- but reports I hear have been positive. Many people think it's a great (and more convenient) alternative to Boma!
Many of your "regular" buffet foods with some African inspired dishes to choose from as well.

It's on our list for December this year. :thumbsup:

dfamasb
04-02-2009, 08:06 PM
We ate at Tusker House in February and LOVED it!! We enjoyed it more than our trip to Boma in Dec '06. It will be a must-do for us from now on!

DisneyGlutton
04-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Many people think it's a great (and more convenient) alternative to Boma!
Many of your "regular" buffet foods with some African inspired dishes to choose from as well.

Many others think it's Boma's far less impressive knock-off. Plus while the restaurant is nicely enough themed, the food was not exceptional at all. In fact, it was forgettable. If you're already inside AK, it is more convenient than Boma...but if you already in the park, I would recommend Yak and Yeti.

Nini5055
04-03-2009, 02:06 PM
We went for breakfast and loved it!!! The food was great and plentiful. My dd7 loved the characters and our waiter was very nice and efficient.

I would definately eat there again without hesitation. :thumbsup:

thejens
04-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I loved it for lunch. It is a bit like Boma, but I plan to do both next trip! It has a great variety and is more relaxing than the old counter service Tusker House. It was one TS and worth it in my opinion.

DisneyFr33k
04-04-2009, 09:11 AM
We ate at TH before and after it converted to table service. We loved the food - but you have to be willing to try different things.

Breakast menu is like:
Assorted Cream Cheeses; Jams; Jellies, and Fruit Chutney; Yogurt Station
Fresh Fruit
Cereals
Milk
Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Scrambled Eggs
Oven-roasted Yukon Gold Potato Wedges
Bacon and Sausage Patties
Vegetable Frittata
Ham and Cheese Frittata
Spiced Corned Beef Hash
Cheese Blintzes
Beef Bobtie Quiche
Yam Casserole
Carved Rotisserie Honey-glazed Ham
Oatmeal
Mealie Pap (Porridge)
Warm Cinnamon Rolls
Warm Banana-Cinnamon Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
Blueberry, Banana Nut and Apple Muffins
Whole-grain breads
Turnovers
Cheese-filled Danish
Apple Danish
Chocolate and Plain Croissants

Dinner menu is like:
Mango Ajar, Blatjang Chuntney, and Mixed Dried Fruit Sambal
Endive, Apple and Walnut Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
Caesar Salad
Mixed Greens with Ranch, Balsamic Vinaigrette or Light Italian Dressing
Tomato and Cucumber Salad with fresh mint and Yogurt Dressing
Tunisian Couscous Salad
Green Bean and Onion Salad
Curried Basmati Rice
Fresh Fruit Salad
Hummus and Tabbouleh
Spiced Tandoori Tofu
Carved Beef Top Sirloin Roast and Rotisserie Pork Loin
Horseradish, hot and sweet mustard, Au Jus
Spiced Rubbed Rotisserie Chicken
Cape Malay Curry Chicken
Peri-Peri Marinated Salmon Filet
Seafood Stew with Tamarind BBQ sauce
Cold cuts platter: Turkey, ham, cheese
Saffron-infused vegetables and cabbage
Green bean, mushroom and carrot medley
Marrakesh Couscous with Roasted Vegetables
Vegetable Samosa
Oven-roasted Yukon Gold Potato Wedges
Mashed Potatoes
Orzo Pasta
Jollaf Rice
Pearl Couscous laced with Sweet Basil Essence
Basmati rice with Toasted almond slivers
Warm Banana-Cinnamon Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
Assorted Pastries and Cakes
Cookies and Brownies
Whole Fruit

Kids menu:
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches - choice of whole wheat or white bread
Corn dog nuggets
Corn medley
Chicken drumsticks
Green beans
Macaroni and cheese
Mashed potatoe

PixieMagic
04-04-2009, 12:48 PM
wow! That was amazing! Thank you so much!!

mudpuppysmom
04-04-2009, 02:37 PM
While I do miss the old Tusker House, we enjoy the new one too.

We tried it for lunch right after it opened as a table service and it was not crowded and the food was yummy. It was actually relaxing, not crazy busy! Oh, and we had no ADR either -- and waited minimial time.....less than 5 minutes (but don't expect that all the time).

We were at AK in December last year and DH suggested we eat there again (and that is saying something -- DH usually says he doesn't need to go back anywhere) -- and we walked up and we were seated in about 5 minutes.

The food is good and I don't think it's really THAT adverntureous (is that "spellt right?). Yes it has different flavors that what we Americans are used to, but that is the beauty of it -- trying new things! DS is not real adventurous (I'll try spellin' it again) and even HE eats there! They do have a kids station though with chicken and mac & cheese, so there is something for picky kids (and I've seen adults loading up there too).

I think it is an underrated place and a gem at AK if you ask me.

As someone else said -- if you are in the park try it out, but if you are not in the park you don't necessarily need to enter there unless you really want to -- go to Boma instead -- and also check out AKL while you are there!

Pirate Granny
04-04-2009, 03:23 PM
There doesn't seem to be much information on this...but if you have lunch reservations at Tusker House between 1pm and 1:30 they will issue you 'special reserved seats' to the Nemo Show for 3 or 3:15...a real deal not to have to stand in line for the show and a good lunch to boot.
:pirate:

dmosher
04-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I agree, the old Tusker house was better, but it is still OK. Have eaten there at different times and the food and service are always good. Nice atmosphere and good themeing. The Character breakfast can get a bit insane and full, but still worth the money.
:pipes:
D

GINNY69
04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
My family and I dined at the Tusker House this last June. We did the Donald Safari Breakfast and we thought the food was really good. The characters were very interactive with the children and the CM's were great too.. I hope to dine there again in our upcoming trip in August..

Hull-onian
04-05-2009, 12:17 PM
There doesn't seem to be much information on this...but if you have lunch reservations at Tusker House between 1pm and 1:30 they will issue you 'special reserved seats' to the Nemo Show for 3 or 3:15...a real deal not to have to stand in line for the show and a good lunch to boot.
:pirate:

That is good know, we are going the week of May 3rd. We love the Nemo show, it's great.:thumbsup: