PDA

View Full Version : an auto train question?

LoriSan
04-02-2009, 01:58 PM
We are taking the auto train in July, and I'm very excited about it. I was wondering about the security of the items that you take to your seat. For instance, if we take a laptop or portable DVD player to our seats to keep my DS4 occupied, what happens to that stuff when we walk about the train? We will not have a sleeping compartment.

LoriSan
04-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I guess this is a question for any train, not just the auto train

donald-doc
04-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi there.

We took the auto-train a couple of times, but we reserved sleeping cabins. Of note, these cabins did not have locks.

We left our luggage in the cabins, and simply covered or put our stuff away. Since this train does not make any stops, and we were able to close the door- we felt more comfortable trusting our fellow passengers.

Since you will be in regular seats, I would be more cautious. However, there are luggage bays (overhead compartments) to store your stuff which most people would not be inclined to touch.... (but that only covers a luggage bag- computer bags and purses may be too tempting!)

If I were you, I would carry the laptop and your most valuable items with you.

Have fun.

iammrsnesbitt
04-12-2009, 11:01 PM
We have rode the auto train twice (both times using sleeping cabins). We always took valuables with us since there are no locks - I definitely would carry purses/laptops with you. Anything else, I would leave behind without worries.

Have fun! We LOVE the auto train!!

dmosher
04-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Maybe I am the eternal pessimist, or maybe because of my job I have my doubts, but in my opinion what will happen to your stuff if you leave it... maybe nothing. Or maybe it will disappear. Depends on how trusting you are I guess. You will never know until it happens, but I would not recommend leaving it, even with a laptop lock. I have had things stolen from my lap while I was asleep on a train, so... your call.
:pipes:
D

2lilboys
04-13-2009, 07:47 AM
We took the autotrain 2x (before having kids) and loved it! It was a fun way to travel and the trip really seemed to go quickly. We felt very safe on the train and would leave most personal belongings at our seat or in the overhead compartments with no problem. We left our seats for long periods (during dinner and then to watch the movie in the lounge car).

However, I would not leave any expensive items at the seats. I agree with the other people that suggest keeping any electronics or valuable items with you.

Have a great trip!

Ian
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
We've taken the Auto Train twice in the last year and a half and it is so much fun! The only thing is, I've never done it in a coach seat. Except when I was like 5, but that doesn't count. ;)

Personally, I would no more leave valuable personal items sitting in my seat than I would anywhere else out in public. My guess is they would be completely safe, because the average Auto Train guest is about 65 years old and would have no interest in a Nintendo DS. But still ... just for peace of mind I'd keep that stuff with me.

In our sleeping cars we just sort of hid valuables in the closet, though, and that's not really very secure either.

TheRustyScupper
04-13-2009, 09:59 AM
1) We have done the auto train and have friends who have done it.
2) Even in an unlocked cabin, I have no problem.
3) But, in a wide-open coach seat, I would not leave the unit.
4) I really believe it would be safe, but no sense in risking it.