PDA

View Full Version : TV's 'Guiding Light' switching off after 72 years

Hammer
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
TV's 'Guiding Light' switching off after 72 years
By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer David Bauder, Ap Television Writer Wed Apr 1, 5:59 pm ET
NEW YORK – CBS is pulling the plug on the soap opera "Guiding Light" after a 72-year run that predates television, the show a victim of the economy and changed viewing habits. The drama's final episode will air on Sept. 18. The Guinness Book of World Records has cited it as the longest-running television drama. It began as a 15-minute serial on NBC Radio on Jan. 25, 1937, and debuted on CBS TV in 1952, focusing on the fictional town of Springfield and the Spaulding, Lewis and Cooper families.

"For many of us, it was the first show we ever watched," said Lynn Leahey, editorial director of Soap Opera Digest. Unlike prime-time shows that came and went, it was a constant in people's lives. "It really is heartbreaking to see something like this go away."

Procter & Gamble Productions, which makes the show, informed cast and crew Wednesday at separate sets in New York and New Jersey. The company isn't giving up on the story, and will explore different ways to keep it going after September, a spokeswoman said.

Soap operas have been in a long, slow decline in popularity, primarily because many of the women who made up their loyal audiences are no longer at home at that hour. They're working, and can find the communal experience that their favorite soaps once gave them elsewhere.

"Guiding Light" had the lowest ratings of the eight daytime dramas on the air. When it leaves, CBS and ABC will have three weekday soap operas, with NBC having one.

"The numbers are really tough for all of these old dramas," said Ron Raines, the actor who portrayed the villain Alan Spaulding in "Guiding Light."

"I don't think any of the other shows want any of us to go off. We're all in this together," he said.

Many successful actors got their start on "Guiding Light," including James Earl Jones, Calista Flockhart, Hayden Panettiere, Kevin Bacon and Taye Diggs.

Faced with extinction a year ago, "Guiding Light" significantly revamped its operations. It ditched its fixed, three-camera set in favor of portable cameras that enabled producers to shoot in different locations. The move saved money and changed the show's look to make it seem more like the reality shows younger viewers are accustomed to.

It didn't work, at least enough for CBS. The network hasn't said what will replace "Guiding Light" on the schedule, but it will almost certainly be a talk or game show, which are much cheaper to make than dramas with a large cast.

The changes also made many of the fans and cast members unhappy, said Carolyn Hinsey, Soap Opera Digest columnist. Two of its biggest stars, Beth Ehlers and Ricky Paull Goldin, quit and now work on ABC's "All My Children."

For fans of the genre, Wednesday's move could be a peek into the future.

Ten years from now, "I absolutely think (daytime dramas) will still be around," Leahey said. "I don't know if you'll be able to watch them from noon to three o'clock on network television."

In fact, the cancellation could be an opportunity for "Guiding Light," she said. Perhaps there's a way to keep the show alive on cable or online; Procter & Gamble says it will have to evaluate whether there's a cost-effective way to do that.

For now, its cast and crew are in mourning.

"What is it? 72 years continuous?" Raines said. "That will never be touched. It's a very sad thing, but these are the times we live in. It's very tough out there."

___

AP Drama Writer Michael Kuchwara contributed to this report

LauraleeH
04-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Sad...I've watched that since I was born. It's been pretty lame the past 2 years and I only watch Young and the Restless now...but Guiding Light used to be my favorite.

Sunshine1010
04-02-2009, 12:05 AM
I was at the Royal Pacific Resort on Universal property from March 17-25, and they were constantly taping some episodes there. I got pics of them taping. We walked outside to go to the pool and 'set up camp' and realized that 50 feet away, across the pool...they were taping and using all of us as 'extras'. It was kind of cool. Then, we were eating at the poolside cafe and had some people come over and beg for autographs at the table next to us. Turns out, we were sitting next to them and I never knew it (I don't watch the show).

Sad that so many jobs will be lost.....again.

SBETigg
04-02-2009, 07:13 AM
I used to watch it when I was in college. I haven't followed it in years, but the news makes me sad, too. I wonder what it means for the remaining daytime dramas.

A friend of mine was contracted by the producers to write a GL novel that came out last year and did pretty well. I wonder if that's the future of soaps, to be turned into series books or perhaps to run on the web?

murphy1
04-02-2009, 07:47 AM
I watched the show in HS! I also watched GH in HS and college. Don't watch any of them now.

Mousemates
04-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Kind of sad to see it go....thou I was never a personal watcher, I do have some very early childhood memories of that particular soap being on the air....(my mom and grandmother were CBS soap watchers back in the late 60s and early seventies...i.e. the guiding light, as well as Search for Tomorrow and The Edge of Night).

Tinkerfreak
04-02-2009, 09:44 AM
I used to watch this when I was younger but when they changed the time slot to 9 am I just couldn't watch it anymore. It is sad to see it go though.
I also used to watch Young and the Restless, As The Word Turns and Bold and the Beautiful. Now I only watch Y & R. that is on the soap net so I can catch it later in the evening, early in the morning or on the weekend. It is much easier for me to watch. I did watch General Hospital for a while and still do sometimes but Y& R is my must see soap and the rest I will watch if they are on when I am home but don't make a point to watch them.
Bold & Beautiful better change things up soon or I am done with it. I am so sick of the same 2 families all switching husbands. Enough allready, please bring on some other people who are not Forresters, Logans or Malloneys.

TheDuckRocks
04-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Interesting that some of us have gone from watching a number of soaps to only watching Y&R. At one time Guiding Light was my favorite but I haven't been watching it for about 5 years now.

LauraleeH
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Interesting that some of us have gone from watching a number of soaps to only watching Y&R. At one time Guiding Light was my favorite but I haven't been watching it for about 5 years now.
It's because Y&R is the best! :thumbsup:

They're talking about keeping GL online, but I just don't see that doing well. I think that would be a waste of their time and money to try to keep it going in other ways.

kakn7294
04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
I haven't watched it in years - just not my thing anymore - but it truly saddens me to think it's no longer going to be there. I grew up watching the CBS soaps and my mom does still watch them. I never liked Y&R though. My favorite was the 30 min show that preceded B&B - can't remember the name for the life of me!

murphy1
04-02-2009, 05:26 PM
My mom liked Y & R, is Victor still on there??? Kathy are you thinking of Santa Barbara??

kakn7294
04-03-2009, 12:08 AM
My mom liked Y & R, is Victor still on there??? Kathy are you thinking of Santa Barbara??Victor is still there - currently back with Ashley who is pregnant with his child. I just saw that episode at my mom's a few weeks ago.

The show I'm thinking of is Capitol - it was only on for 5 yrs in the '80's but I loved it! I had to do an internet search to find it but it was driving me crazy not remembering!

SBETigg
04-03-2009, 08:09 AM
The show I'm thinking of is Capitol - it was only on for 5 yrs in the '80's but I loved it! I had to do an internet search to find it but it was driving me crazy not remembering!

What did we do before internet searches? I'm always looking up things like that. Glad you found it. :thumbsup: And I agree, Lauralee, that it doesn't seem cost effective to keep it going on the internet. But in print, without actors, maybe possible. I always thought it would be such a fun job to write for soaps.

TheDuckRocks
04-03-2009, 11:15 AM
But in print, without actors, maybe possible. I always thought it would be such a fun job to write for soaps.

I have always felt that someone could make a fortune if they would go back to the start of a soap and do a set of four seasonal books per year that told the what we've already seen or missed because we hadn't been watching at the time. 4 books per year with some of them going back 30+ years with a release of one every month, a fortune even in paperback. I know I'd buy all of them from Y&R.

d_m_n_n
04-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Victor is still there - currently back with Ashley who is pregnant with his child. I just saw that episode at my mom's a few weeks ago.

Capitol was awesome and if I remember correctly, a few of the characters were originals on the B & B when it started... And I agree about the B&B...are there NO men in LA besides those in the Forrester family?!?! We need some new men! :blush:

I am sad to see GL go. Although I don't watch it now, I remember my mom sitting on the couch folding clothes to it.