PDA

View Full Version : How much hassles is it when you split your stay between 2 resorts?

Gregandmel
04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
We are having a hard time deciding whether to splurge (again) at WL or go with POFQ as a more affordable alternative. One suggestion was to start off at WL and stay there 2 or 3 nights, THEN switch over to POFQ for the remainder of our stay. For those of you that have done this, how much hassle was it? Was it worth it to split it up? What all is involved? Thanks for any insight!!!

caryrae
04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
This may help answer some of your questions.
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=152498&highlight=split+stay

Tinkerfreak
04-01-2009, 02:43 PM
If you are doing a package it will cost you more money. Each stay is treated like a seperate reservation so if you are doing the dining plan you have to use up the credits from the first part of your stay before checking into next resort or you lose them. Also it can end up costing more for your tickets. If you are not doing a package it is easy. They even move your luggage for you.

Tygger7
04-01-2009, 02:56 PM
One tip: if you decide to split your stay, go with the cheaper resort first, then upgrade. It gives you a little something extra to look forward to. :)

ThanxForNoticin
04-02-2009, 12:29 PM
One tip: if you decide to split your stay, go with the cheaper resort first, then upgrade. It gives you a little something extra to look forward to. :)

I agree 100%. We've done multiple resorts a few times, and it's always better upgrading resorts during the stay.

How much hassle is it to move? With a little bit of planning, we've never had too much trouble. I will tell you, though, it's a lot easier since we get a rental car for our stays, so we just check out, take the luggage with, enjoy the day, and then check into the 'other' resort later. It can certainly be done without a car, but then you'll need to make arrangements to have your luggage transferred.

Checkers
04-02-2009, 07:10 PM
:mickey:Last Oct. we started out at OKW and ended our vacation a the YC. Luggage transfer was a breeze. We just checked it with the bellman at OKW to be transferred to the YC and went on our way. When we checked into the YC later in the day it was there.

Seasonscraps
04-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I agree with ending on a high note. It's not much trouble to switch - bell services will move your bags for you.

twinboyz
04-03-2009, 08:44 AM
We stayed at POR then transferred to AKL. I would love to do it again. The 'hassle' factor was non-existant. They transferred our bags for us so the transition was very simple. It was very nice to end the trip on such a high note. It was wonderful to split our ten days, because it kind of felt like two vacations in one.

Happy wishes in whatever you decide!:mickey:

Yvette
04-03-2009, 09:03 AM
It's not a hassle at all. We have used bell services as well as schlepping our bags in our rental car. Trust me, bell services was easier. :thumbsup:

I also agree that you want to finish with the Deluxe...

wildernesslady
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Bell services took care of everything for us. They were excellent. We did not arrive to our new resort until after midnight and our luggage was in our room. I just didn't care for packing and unpacking. I would probably prefer to stay at one resort

cmshelton1979
04-04-2009, 10:03 AM
The only negative is if you are doing the package, it will not carry over to the 2nd resort. My wife and I stayed at the WL last Aug for our honeymoon but we ended up switching to CSR for our last night. I was surprised to find out that the package wasn't good because we were starting a new reservation. I thought, "I am on Disney property it should be all included" OH well, we were able to make the best out of it and it turned out great.

PetefromRI
04-04-2009, 02:03 PM
We split once,may do it again.There wasn't really to much hassle.We like unpacking and staying at our new "home" for the entire stay though.

Donald's Girl
04-04-2009, 05:44 PM
We have done this many times. If you are planning on doing the DDP the whole trip, it can get more expensive but we don't always do the plan.
Without the DDP, book your original package but don't book your park passes just for those days. What we have done is, for example, booked 4 nights at Contemporary with an 8 day Park Hopper. Then, when we moved to Beach Club, did what the Cast Member referred to as the Basic Plan with no tickets.
When we chose to participate with the DDP, we only attached it to first resort. So, we had meals for 4 days included. After calculating, found it really wasn't cost effective to book the second package with the 1 day park pass in order to continue to DDP and paid the rest of our meals out of pocket.
You really need to look at all the costs associated with your wants/needs and then decide.
But, also, as others mentioned we always rent a car. Not sure if I would be willing to spend the time transferring resorts if I needed to rely on Disney Tranportation and Bell Services moving our luggage.
Hope that helps! It's something we Highly Recommend!

dmosher
04-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Though I have heard stories of this being a hassle, last trip we stayed half in WLV then moved to BCV and the transition was very easy. Unfortunately, we actually did not enjoy the BCV as much as we thought we would and wished we could have stayed at WLV, but that's another story. The actual move was very easy, even luggage wasn't a problem.
:pipes:
D

Mousemates
04-07-2009, 11:55 AM

We almost always do split stays...and agree 100% with the upgrade on the second resort...for a couple of reasons...first of all the second resort is the one you remember and secondly its much nicer to move up and have more space than it is to move down to something a bit smaller.

PlutoPlanet
04-07-2009, 12:10 PM
We did a split stay last year and are doing it again this year. The resort is part of the experience.

LovinWDW
04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
We split our stay for all of our summer trips. We usually do a 14 night trip so we spend a week at each resort. Each resort is like a new vacation. The only downfall I have with splitting stays is you have to repack to move to the new resort but I just deal with it every year. I vote for splitting it up. :thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
04-08-2009, 11:09 PM
:scratch: I've heard of "split stays". Some good and some bad. Personally, I'm not a big fan. Once I unpack my stuff, I'm done til it's time to go!