PDA

View Full Version : Has the 4/3 deal affected crowd levels?

DisneyGlutton
04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
For those who have recently returned from WDW (and have been there before during the same time period), have you noticed any change in crowd levels?

After reading another thread about how its projected the crowd levels in May are gonna spike, I am really starting to freak out (as in I'm getting nauseous and depressed). We loathe waiting in line, even at Disney, which is why we usually go in early May.

Thanks!

Strmchsr
04-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't know if it's the 4/3 deal or what, but something has impacted the crowds. Crowds are being WAAAY higher than anticipated. Disney is extending hours and adding parades almost every day right now, which says even they were caught off guard by the surge. It looks like May (we are going then, as well, due to previous reports of manageable crowds---oh, well) will be more of the same.

wire0monkey
04-01-2009, 05:10 PM
For those who have recently returned from WDW (and have been there before during the same time period), have you noticed any change in crowd levels?

After reading another thread about how its projected the crowd levels in May are gonna spike, I am really starting to freak out (as in I'm getting nauseous and depressed). We loathe waiting in line, even at Disney, which is why we usually go in early May.

Thanks!

Define "spike." The Unofficial Guide crowd calendar now places crowds for the month of May at about the same level as crowds for the month of June. It's high, but not Christmas high. Basically, summer is starting early this year.

Nevertheless, we just changed our plans from May to the week before Labor Day. With the free food deal, it was actually slightly cheaper for us - so we booked an extra night at the Pop.

ThanxForNoticin
04-01-2009, 07:21 PM
We've been to the parks a few times this winter and early spring, and we were very surprised by the size of the crowds. Things were certainly not unmanageable, but things were definitely busier than we expected. I think the 4/3 deal probably has something to do with that.

MOJoe
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
This is the 64 Million Dollar question.

As Strmchsr has pointed out, Disney has been surprised by the larger than normal attendence. Other people in the travel business, as well as the publishers of the UG, who have studied Disney park attendence like scientists, have also missed the mark. So what really is going on?
If the 4/3 deal is the culprit, wouldn't Disney know, since all those guests have reservations? Maybe my bent to planning has me blinded, but surely people don't just drive to WDW and expect to check in without a reservation. Do they?

So my guess is that something else is going on. A couple of thoughts -
Maybe the lower cost for gas has brought in those who are within a days drive.

Maybe people are thinking, "Hey, let's go to Disney World, the economy stinks, so it won't be crowded!"

Maybe "free admission on your birthday" has lured in a few extra thousand a day.

In any case, it is quite noteworthy for a company that is in the business of scheduling, to look as confused as Disney does right now. There is no doubt that something is awry.

DisneyGlutton
04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the info! Whatever is going on, I hope it ebbs before May, or I will be very sad.

Strmchsr
04-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the info! Whatever is going on, I hope it ebbs before May, or I will be very sad.

No need to be sad. Crowds happen. The days of having Disney to yourself seem to be gone, but that's okay. Just have a plan, use fastpass and enjoy your vacation! We'd like it uncrowded, too, but I'm not going to let large crowds ruin my time there.

thejens
04-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Is it really more crowded or are cuts in staffing making things less efficient and making lines longer? Just wondering.

Strmchsr
04-04-2009, 07:49 AM
It's really more crowded.

hauntedmansiongirl
04-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Just remember- a busy day at Disney is still better than a busy day at work:mickey:

DisneyGlutton
04-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Just remember- a busy day at Disney is still better than a busy day at work:mickey:

I suppose so, but at work, you don't have to stand in one line, in the heat and humidity, for hours all crammed in and annoyed.;)

DawsonAR
04-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I had hoped the crowds would be on the low side for our trip and I'm a little bummed. However, I would much rather be at Diseny even with a crowd that be at work! We will make the best of it.