PDA

View Full Version : Cooking ideas

rubato
04-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm planning out our next trip in Feb. (which I haven't even talked my husband into yet), and I'm thinking about doing a lot more cooking in our camper this time. In fact, for a 7 day trip, I'm only going to be making about 5 ADRs and don't have any interest in CS.

Do a lot of you cook at camp? If so, do you have any good crock pot ideas or cook ahead ideas? I probably don't want to come back from the parks and spend a ton of time cooking. I know there's a grill at the site, but this will be the first time I've been camping with a full kitchen (bought an RV, sold the pop up. Yah!!!).
Thanks.

cmsizzlin
04-01-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't camp anymore but there is so much you can cook while camping especially if you have a full kitchen. Your in Florida so warm weather foods are the best.
The Big Julienne Salad, cut up lunch meats w/cheeses and your favorite salad makings. Its easy and filling - serve w/artisan bread and viola you have a meal.

There are so many crock-pot recipes on the Kraft as well as Campbell Soup Website - plus go to the food network site and they have tons of easy recipes. I am sure there is even a website for meals for camping.

tys_mommy
04-01-2009, 09:25 AM
I like to make meals ahead of time, freeze them then reheat while camping - spaghetti & lasagna are 2 that come to my mind first. Also you can grill chicken breasts, steaks, burgers, hotdogs. Maybe even just to cold sandwiches one night.

joonyer
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
WE crockpot breakfast meals when we camp.
That way we waste a minimal amount of time in the mornings preparing breakfast when we are in a hurry to get to the parks early (we are park commandos), while still having a hot breakfast. We have a pop-up camper and put the crockpot on the picnic table (under our canopy) so the yummy smell doesn't overwhelm us in the camper at night while it's cooking.
When we are in a hurry to leave camp, we just fill the dirty crock with water (after stashing any leftovers) and wash it when we get back to camp.

hauntedmansiongirl
04-04-2009, 09:57 AM
My favourite camping meals are done in the crockpot. Roast beef is great. Buy a cheap cut, add onions, carrots and potatoes (put the veggies in first), and pour over a packet of gravy mixed with 1/2 cup of water. You really can't overcook this on low. Also, try spaghetti sauce and meatballs. No browning needed, just toss them in raw. Then you just have to cook up the pasta or put it on buns. The julienne salad idea is great too! And don't forget Trails End Buffet. It's not huge, but has a good selection!

TheMartellFamily
04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
The croc pot is one thing that we do and use quite alot. We will do everything from roasts, to chicken, to hamburger for taco meat. We also will use the grill at the site too. Steaks, hot dogs, chicken breasts are all favorites that we do. At Trails End ( Crockets Tavern) you can get a pizza made and take back to your site. There are alot of options for you I hope this helps out.

rubato
04-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone. I think that the crockpot is definitely going to be the way to go! I might also freeze things and just thaw as needed. I love to cook, but I tend to go way overboard and it can take hours to cook dinner sometimes! Who wants to waste all that time while at DW?

tjstrike
04-06-2009, 12:58 AM
We were going to do some cooking while there in March but decide to go with the CS instead. We would get up in the morning and have toast or cereal and used our to CS's for the day on lunch and dinner. I think it worked out really well that way, even if we came back from the parks early we could shoot over to roarin forks and catch a quick meal (did that twice before the sing-a-long). You don't wanna have to cook and clean on your vacation. Especially after a day at the parks.

gmgdisneymom
04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
It is so funny - I never even thought about my crockpot. We will be camping next week - our second camping trip to disney. We stay 7 days and will eat out 2-3 times. The other nights we will cook "in". We go with another family and one night will be the usual hamburgers and hot dogs and the other nights we will grill steaks, pork loins etc. Unlike other campgrounds WDW does not allow fires or we woulkd be making desserts etc. Steaks are the easiest because you can marinade them all day and then grill - no mess!

I hope you are able to talk your DH into the trip - congrats on the RV - we love ours:mickey:

Not2Loud
06-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I like to do BBQ in the crock pot while there. Pour in a bottle of your favorite sauce, and put in the meat ( I like to use pork shoulder) and let it go on low all day long. Smells great and tastes great. Can use the left overs for sandwiches too! :beer:

casey@bat
06-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Here are my frozen food ideas:

BBQ (roast beef cooked, shredded then add sauce and freeze) - serve on buns with chips, slaw, etc.

Taco meat(cook beef as directed on pkg and freeze)- just bring cheese, lettuce, salsa, chips, etc.

Chili is good after freezing and home made soup.

Spaghetti sauce as mentioned above is good, even taste better after it's been frozen.

DeniseMB
06-07-2009, 03:02 PM
definetly bring a crock pot.

make lasagna, meatballs, meatloaf ahead of time & freeze. meatloaf sandwiches & meatballs subs later. :mickey: