PDA

View Full Version : Disney Announces Major Expansion to the Monorail System

Maleficent's Dad
04-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Great news from today's Orlando Sentinel!

Disney Announces Major Expansion to Their Monorail Transportation System
April 1, 2009

F. Neiman, Associated Press
Joe K. Stere, Orlando Sentinel

In a surprising statement this morning, the Walt Disney Company announced a major transportation expansion which has most people smiling with delight.

“We’re proud to unveil a four year expansion plan for our Florida Property,” stated Margaret Tischner, head of Walt Disney World’s Transportation. “For years our guests have been asking when we would expand the monorail. Well I’m happy to tell you, we have heard you, we have listened, and now we are taking action!

“For the first time in our history,” she continued, “guests staying at a moderate resort will have the same access to the monorail that was previously only available to guests in some of our deluxe resorts. Those staying at Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter, Old Key West and Saratoga Springs will have monorail stops at their resorts. The new monorail will begin service in 2012. The first stage of our plan is to provide service to Downtown Disney. By 2014 we hope to expand this monorail line to include the Animal Kingdom.”

The current monorail in Walt Disney World has a circular loop that serves the Magic Kingdom and three resorts. There is also a track which services Epcot, although no resorts have stops along the Epcot route. These monorail resorts have long since demanded top dollar for stays there. Disney uses the “on the monorail” location to fetch higher room prices.

For years, the monorail has been a Disney staple. Originally operating in California at Disneyland, the larger, two track system in Florida, has come to define swift, modern transportation.

As Tischner alluded, guests have always wanted more monorail.

“I’m so excited!” said Maria Vasquez, a guest currently staying at Port Orleans Riverside. “We’ve always wanted to stay at a monorail resort, but we never wanted to spend all the money to do so. Now, maybe we’ll be able to do it!”

The same sentiments rang true with owners of Disney’s timeshare.

“Old Key West is getting the monorail?” asked John Keegan, a Vacation Club member in disbelief. “Wow, never saw that coming. Guess my timeshare just became more valuable,” he added with a grin.

The new monorail system will connect two moderate resorts, two Disney Vacation Club resorts and Downtown Disney with the Animal Kingdom theme Park.

Disney refused to divulge specifics about their plans. They only stated that the new monorail line would use the Mark VII, which is the same monorail system in place in Disneyland Park in Anaheim.

Miss Tischner also had no word about monorail service to Disney’s Hollywood Studios or additional resorts.

brownie
04-01-2009, 07:27 AM
:look: Looks like the Sentinel's hired a new reporter:)

murphy1
04-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Haha good one, very funny

Stu29573
04-01-2009, 07:41 AM
That will go so cool with the expanded 20,000 Leagues Ride in Bay Lake!

TysMomTink
04-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Happy April Fool's everyone. :)

drummerboy
04-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Well durn, I thought sure they'd run it through Fort Wilderness first. :D

BedknobsandBroomsticks
04-01-2009, 08:10 AM
I have not had any coffee yet and forgot what day it was! Had me going for a minute!

DZNYGUY
04-01-2009, 08:10 AM
That is not cool! I got way excited! I have always wanted the monorail to be expanded to DAKL.

Good one...

Dulcee
04-01-2009, 08:17 AM
That wasn't nice to do to a college student who was up til 3 studying last night and hasn't had any coffee yet... :scratch:

BMan62
04-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Realized it was April Fool's right away, but it took me a minute or so to get the reporters name - Joe K Stere = Jokester - duh!!! I must still be asleep!!!!

The Abiding Dude
04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
All top management at the Disney parks worldwide are also now required to do 1 month of "front-line cast-member" duties. This new program is designed so they can get a "feel" for what it is like to be a Disney Cast Member. I heard Meg Crofton is working at The Haunted Mansion this week. :D

c&d
04-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm bummed it's not going to WL, I would have thought it would have gone there. :D

Venus0880
04-01-2009, 10:03 AM
I have to say that was very well done.:mickey:

Daddy Mouse
04-01-2009, 11:45 AM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: DD saw this and got excited. She loves the monorail. It took a while for it to sink in. I love her but the young lady is gullible.

betteratmk
04-01-2009, 12:20 PM
:thumbsup::rocks::D

GothMickey
04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
All top management at the Disney parks worldwide are also now required to do 1 month of "front-line cast-member" duties. This new program is designed so they can get a "feel" for what it is like to be a Disney Cast Member. I heard Meg Crofton is working at The Haunted Mansion this week. :D

She would totally fit in.

GrumpyFan
04-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Very nicely done!

I have to ask though, how many years has the monorail expansion story been used for an April fools joke? I know I've seen it at least once before.

Ian
04-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I have to ask though, how many years has the monorail expansion story been used for an April fools joke? I know I've seen it at least once before.I think this is at least three years running. ;)

Goofster
04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
I think this is at least three years running. ;)

Or more! That was the first story I figured I'd see today on this board! :D

DANAM
04-01-2009, 04:08 PM
How exciting!!! I can't wait to see what this may bring.

IamBelle
04-01-2009, 04:13 PM
wow, i really thought that was true, until i saw the name of the reporter!! LOL, I wish it was true, that would be really nice.

TiggerD
04-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Was that just a part one story??? I mean, I read the Orlando Sentinel everyday and I was wondering if the next installment was going to tell us that the Monorail will run through the Tree of Life.:tigger:

Lynn J Mc
04-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Gotta love April Fools!!!! I hope they run it all the way to the GA/FLA line.

DizneyFreak2002
04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
LOL... Did the report also mention that the monorail will be running all over Orlando??? :)

GrumpyFan
04-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I think this is at least three years running. ;)

Maybe one day in the distant future they'll actually extend the monorail or do something to expand their on-property transit. Of course, if they do ever announce something such as a monorail expansion, nobody here would believe it. :rotfl:

JPL
04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
So does that mean the travel agent that just booked me in the concierge exclusive Monorail access room at Pop Century for $3000 a night ripped me off :confused:

TheRustyScupper
04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
So does that mean the travel agent that just booked me in the concierge exclusive Monorail access room at Pop Century for $3000 a night ripped me off :confused:

1) No.
2) The $3,000 per night includes tax.

ayeckley
04-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I think the April 1st monorail expansion news is becoming a tradition on Intercot, isn't it? I seem to recall it happening for at least two years in a row now...

MinnieMommie
04-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Great news from today's Orlando Sentinel!

You really had me sooo excited!!! I was hoping this to be true until I saw the date on the article. Good one for you!!:mickey:

TiggeRia
04-02-2009, 09:33 PM
You would think that I would remember falling for this last year, but alas, I once again got excited reading it. Then I remembered reading the same thing last year. I'll probably fall for it again next year.....:secret:

gueli
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Maybe one day in the distant future they'll actually extend the monorail or do something to expand their on-property transit. Of course, if they do ever announce something such as a monorail expansion, nobody here would believe it. :rotfl:

Now if they do such a thing- they had better not do it on april 1st...:mickey:
:beer:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-02-2009, 10:51 PM
I thought it was going to run through the Dolphin like it does through the Contemporary? Isn't that what the darker squares are for?

badkitty
04-02-2009, 10:57 PM
So seeing this the day after April 1 and not being on board to be last year's fool, you had me almost to the end. It was the route that had me scratching my head and then I realized...

Very nicely done!

dudeman1975
04-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Great April Fools joke, though I thought the monorail was going to the Orlando Airport.
:party:

javamama
04-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice, I read the darn thing twice and I'm, thinking to myself on 4/5 this doesn't seem right---doh!