PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone from Boston?

pink
03-31-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm going to Boston for a few days over Spring Break and I was wondering if anyone from Boston could tell us some fun things to do.

We're already planning on going whale watching, the aquarium, Fenway Park, Harvard and Cheers.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?:mickey:

ginger19
03-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Faneul Hall is a great place to go, there are duck boat tours you can take and the Freedom trail gets high marks :) Sounds like you have busy time planned already.

crazypoohbear
03-31-2009, 08:09 PM
will you have a car? if so there are lots of possibilities.
Fanuiel hall
the Constitution
Bunker hill (actually breeds hill)
Newbury street - window shopping
The boston common IN THE DAY TIME
take the brown and orange trolley it's the best and you can get on and off all day long. the drivers are very good and full of trivia
The north end - mikes pastry shop on hanover street!!!
irish pubs - it's boston!
Copley place
trinity church
newbury comics on newbury street.
The prudential observation floor.
the aquarium
the Museum of science
Stewart gardner museum
the museum of fine arts.
the house of blues on lansdowne street -- just opened- food is only okay.
fenway park tour - GO RED SOX BEAT THE YANKEES!!!
Charles street - lots of cool stores - julia child use to shop there - check out the signs outside the stores - al wooden, nothing neon allowed.
Walk through beacon hill look for the purple window panes = hundreds of years old, made by mistake and can't be replicated!
the 21st amendment - kennedy's use to drink there

TheDuckRocks
04-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't live in the Boston area but this fall we were there on a shore excursion from a New England/Canadian cruise we took. The absolute highlight of our trip for me was the Duck ride on the Charles River...........They let me drive it!!!:joy::boat:

luvDaMouse
04-01-2009, 09:43 AM
My daughter went to College in Boston last year and while visiting we went on the Cemetary trolley tour Lots of fun! (they do it at night) learned alot. I agree with other posters Mike's pastry in the north end is a must. Any restaraunt in the north end is great. We also enjoyed the Duck tour and Fanuel Hall (great soup in a bread bowl) Also the "chipyard" has the best chocolate chip cookies (which is in Fanuel hall) Boston is a beautiful city and has lots to do! have fun:mickey:

c&d
04-01-2009, 09:55 AM
If you have a car, head north to Salem. It's a nice place to visit any time of year.

MNNHFLTX
04-01-2009, 11:04 AM
If you're into walking, the Freedom Trail really is full of wonderful history. Also, stroll around the North End (Italian) neighborhood and have lunch at one of the restaurants there. And yes, the duck tours are a hoot!

Stitchahula
04-01-2009, 11:21 AM
So far what everyone has said is a pretty good idea. You could check out the harbor tours too (not sure if they start this early in the season though). If you have a car and like history you could take a ride up to salem for the tours there. Lexington and concord battlefields, ect.. In Ipswich there is a place called Wolf's Hollow you can go and howl with the wolves they have there. I guess it all depends on what you are more interested in doing. The Duck Boats are alot of fun. Make sure you get the Duck Boat Tours not the one that has tried to style themselves after them unsuccessfully.

pink
04-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to write a trip report when I get back. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Take the Old Town Trolley tour (orange and green-not brown & green) you can go all over the city & get on and off all day long. And they give you a lot of the history of Boston.
Walking through the cemeteries are interesting. You can see where Sam Adams, Mother Goose and lots of other famous people are buried.

MissMaryPoppins
04-03-2009, 12:56 AM
I went to college in Boston and lived there for a while after graduation.

Beacon Hill is a beautiful area and the public garden and boston common are in that area.

Cheers is fun but in my opinion the best place to grab a burger is Joe's Bar and Grill on the corner of Newbury and Darthmouth.

Faniuel Hall is fun. There's alot of stores and restaurants there. Don't go to the Cheers there though, the original one on Beacon Street is better.

Boston Public Library on Boylston Street. The old part is beautiful.

The North End is my favorite part of the city. I lived there for three years. There's alot of cute restaurants and cafes. The best bakery is Bova's on the corner of Salem Street. Everything there is good, especially their calzones. Maria's makes great cookies too. Pizzaria Regina makes good pizza but the Pushcart cafe on Salem is way less crowded and way less touristy.

Harvard Yard is a short trip on the T. Take the red line to the Harvard stop. There's alot of stores and restaurants in the area and Harvard Yard is nice to walk through.

If you do the Freedom Trail it'll take you to Faniuel hall and the northend. You'll get to see alot.

Newbury is mostly shopping and it gets very crowded.

I hope that helps a little. Have fun in Boston.

Joy

MickeyandTink
04-03-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't live in Boston, but just returned from a trip there a few weeks ago. If you really enjoy good beer, take in the brewery tours at Sam Adams and Harpoon. There is no cost, although they do suggest a couple of dollar donation. You also get to taste some really good beer after the tour. :cheers:

pink
04-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks again.

Has anyone tried whale-watching there? I've heard mixed reviews.:mickey:

crazypoohbear
04-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I haven't gone out of boston but it is my understanding that the best one's are the one's from the cape. too far for you to travel.
also, che ck on line to see if the whales are going to be plentiful this time of the year.

Stitchahula
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I've gone out of Gloucester everytime I've gone. The last 3 times have been with Capt. Bill and we have had great luck everytime. They also sell dvd's at the end of the trip with video/pictures of the whales that we saw on that trip. That way if your camera doesn't have a powerful lense you still get alot of the shots you wouldn't have gotton. I've heard mixed reviews of the ones going out of the Cape and from the aquarium in Boston. It really is worth it we've had a great time everytime we've gone, with the exception of DH getting sea sick. It doesn't take much for him though. Have fun.

crazypoohbear
04-17-2009, 10:25 AM
How soon before you come out this way?
Right now the weather is great.