PDA

View Full Version : Any all star movies fans?

jrkcr
03-31-2009, 12:09 AM
DD9 has requested a stay at All Star Movies. She and I think it looks adorable. But we have always stayed at moderates, and usually get 2 rooms at CSR. DH (and all of us) is use to the big pool and hot tub, the spread out, not crowded feel of CSR, and the sometimes empty buses. And he likes the food court at CSR too.
So... how can I convince him to try ASMovies? We'd still get 2 rooms, but he has seen the long lines for the value buses leaving the parks, and he would be more inclined to stay at a deluxe with the monorail, not a value. (I am the penny pincher).

Any advice on how to convince him?

brownie
03-31-2009, 08:48 AM
We've enjoyed our stays at All-Star Movies. There are two pools and a good-sized food court. We've never used the buses since we've always had a car when we've stayed there. How much time will you actually be spending at your resort? No sense in paying extra for amenities you won't be using.

FaithTrustPixieDust
03-31-2009, 09:55 AM
We've stayed there the last 2 visits, and really liked it. It feels so very "Disney" because of the big icons from their movies. It's not what you'd call plush, but we have had no problems or complaints at all.

We have found the bus service to be VERY efficient. Sometimes crowded, but we always had seats and never had to wait long at all. The bus stops at the other 2 All Stars before it gets to Movies. Only once was the bus too crowded to get on, and there was another one literally right behind it. I like being the last stop because you go STRAIGHT to the park once you are on the bus!

DANAM
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
We only stayed one night at the Movie's in Toy Story building and we were very unimpressed. It just looked dated and dirty compaired to the POP. We had just stayed a week at POP and we where shocked at the difference, this trip was in 2006. The following September 2007 we stayed at Music in a prefered room and I thought that one was nicer than POP. I did my research before hand and found out that most of the All Stars were getting a rehab and I made sure we got a newly done room. That's what I would suggest to you. Call the hotel and see what section has been redone or I'm sure someone here on intercot could tell you.

Hope you all have a wonderful trip!!!

Mousemates
03-31-2009, 11:03 AM
We stayed at the movies not very long ago and enjoyed it very much...a nine year old will certainly enjoy the theming and feel completely immersed in things disney while there (almost as thou she was dipped in a black cauldron of disney magic). As for the difference between a stay there and a stay in a mod...to me the difference is not all that noticable...unless you use the room for more than sleeping and an afternoon nap (the rooms are rather smallish) or unless you are used to the queen beds at CSR.

shev
03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
We stayed at in 2007. Loved it-the only drawback was all the crazy cheerleaders. Not that they were obnoxious or anything just a whole bunch of them.

c&d
03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
We stayed there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. DS and I walked around the resort at night taking pictures. The themeing was amazing, with everything being larger than life. We stayed in the Toy Story building and loved Andy's Room.

I didn't have any problems with the food court the choices were OK. Yes the buses were more crowded then you'll find at CSR but that didn't detract from our stay.

We've only ever stayed 2 nights in a value before moving to our DVC condo so I don't know how it would be for a week long stay with the smaller room.

Having stayed at Pop, Sports and Music, my favorite has been Music.

brewcrew26
03-31-2009, 03:31 PM
We (three adults) just got back from a quick 5-day stay at ASMo. It wasn't horrible by any means but it does lack some of the features that the moderates have that I'm used to. For three adults, it was tight, but very doable for a two adults and kids.

The food court was comparable to others around the world. We stayed in the Mighty Ducks section and found it closer to walk to ASMu's bus stop and main building for food. The Mighty Ducks "quiet pool" was also a lot less full than the Fantasia pool.

The beds were very firm. We had no problem with mousekeeping. They were great. The bathroom was really small and somewhat hypnotic with all the stars on the wall. The theming was great. They were repainting all the large icons when we were there three weeks ago.

If I were going for a short stay I would do a value resort such as ASMo again, but otherwise I think I'll stick with the mods. The inconvenience of sharing buses with the other AS resorts was enough for us not to want to go back unless we had a car. There are just so many groups at the values that cause congestion.

But, at the same time, if you're saving money by staying at an AS resort, you can pamper yourself with other Disney fun and you're not really going to be in the room all that much.

thejens
03-31-2009, 10:10 PM
We liked All Star Movies. It is fun in theming and perfect for kids. We like to stay in a value to save money and then move to a deluxe. I don't know how it compares to a moderate, but I honestly wouldn't mind staying at ASM for a week.

FenwayGirl
04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
We have stayed at ASMo quite a few times. The kids love all of the theming. Especially Toy Story. The food court is a good size and they have many offerings. The walk is not too bad from even the farthest point in the resort.

IamBelle
04-01-2009, 03:34 PM
I love All Star Movies! Even though the buses are sometimes crowded (you share w/ the other All Star hotels), I found that they send more buses for the All Stars than for others like POP Century. And, sometimes you don't share a bus w/ the other All Stars and they have separate buses for the three of them.
We loved it and plan to stay at an All Star again this year!!

prttynpnk
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
We've always done the Allstar resorts, we don't like to pay for extras we won't use, but I would be concerned about the rooms being a little smaller than your husband is used to.....

Gator
04-02-2009, 01:09 AM
My kids loved the theming. It made it easier to leave the parks if we told them we were going to see the giant Dalmatian. However, the bus service stinks compared to the Moderates. And anyone who says otherwise has never been to a Moderate. I always waited in long lines to and from parks. And there was always a crazy amount of moto-scooters getting on and crowding everybody.

The skinny: Theming Excellent - Bus Service Terrible.

Aurora
04-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I beg to differ, and I have stayed at All-Star Movies, All-Star Sports, and Port Orleans. We have found the bus service at the values and moderates to be comparable. Of course if you're used to "empty" buses that's another story.

But beyond that, there are reasons there's a price difference between values and moderates -- room size, landscaping and theming, food options. IMHO moderates aim more to please older ages in the family, especially the adults, and the All-Stars are geared toward the kids (or kids at heart).

My kids loved the ASM. We stayed in the Toy Story section which is just magical -- especially the giant door in Andy's room that makes your kids look tiny. Plus these rooms are on the far side of the resort, so it's a little quieter (I say "a little" because quiet is not a word I would normally use to describe the All-Stars).

The All-Stars definitely have a more chaotic feel because of all the kids and families. But if you know that going in, you'll be able to deal with it.

azcavalier
04-02-2009, 04:17 PM
We have stayed at all three All Stars, Port Orleans, and Boardwalk. There's stuff we like about all of them.

All Star Movies is our favorite of the All Star resorts. The themeing is the best, we think. And the kids absolutely love it. The rooms are a bit smaller than the moderate rooms, and the food court doesn't serve up the same kind of food. We preferred the food court at Port Orleans, to be honest. However, we found it more convenient at the All Star resorts.

I think that the bus service is the same. When we stayed at Port Orleans, the bus stops were closer to our room, but sometimes we had long waits for them. At Boardwalk we had multiple transportation options, but unless you decide to walk, you had to share transportation with the Swan and Dolphin, and also the Beach and Yacht Clubs (if you went with boats). The pools at the All Star resorts are HUGE. The kids loved that.

Request the Toy Story section when you go. It's really that neat.

TwinniesNMeLoveWDW
04-02-2009, 07:55 PM
I've stayed at ASMo and never had a problem. My daughters loved it there when they were younger! The first time there we were in one of the Mighty Ducks buildings, and my girls hated the giant duck hockey mask (I thought it kind of scary looking myself). Next time I requested one of the 101 Dalmatians buildings and they really loved it- they actually called it the dalamtian hotel. ("We love the dalmatian hotel, but we don't like the mighty ducks hotel") Last time we went we only spent one night at ASMo and were in the Toy Story area, and that was my favorite area of the resort. POFQ is my favorite resort so far between values and moderates, but I think the All Stars are great for families.

MegPeg85
04-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I stayed there in March and the rooms we had were not up to Disney standards at all. The rooms didn't look or smell clean - there was spilled coffee all over our nightstand, for example. The furniture is all beat up and old. I stayed in All-Star Music last year and I don't remember being shocked at the rooms (I think they must have been updated or something).

I stayed in Pop in January and it is much more convenient than Movies, BY FAR. There isn't enough shelf space and the entertainment stand/dresser is very small in Movies. I, too, think that they're in the process of renovating Movies because, out of curiosity, I looked for rooms later this year and there were none available. I'm glad they're updating Movies because I was very disappointed in the quality of the rooms.

barnaby
04-03-2009, 12:24 PM
We stayed there last trip. Only drawback is the small room size, but since we were only there basically to sleep, it wasn't a big deal. I would go back again.

jrkcr
04-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Thank you all for the opinions! I'll pass this along to DH to read.
We've never changed hotels during our 7-12 day trips, but maybe we will for our next trip. I think 4-5 days at ASMovies, to impress our DD9. And then 4-5 at a different resort (I would like to try Boardwalk, or Beach Club).

Thanks!

haley's mom
04-03-2009, 02:54 PM
We just booked All Star Movies for September. I did not pay extra for preferred room (as we spend very little time in our room).

Can someone please tell me the best room location to be close to food court (to refill mugs) and bus stop? I'd like to add this to our reservation request!

And how do you get a room with a king bed instead of 2 doubles?

Thanks in advance.

DisneyWFan
04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
The two closest non-preferred buildings at All Star Movies (when I went in 2001 double check with the resort) are 101 Dalmatians Building #1 or Toy Story building #10.

Building #4 In 101 Dalmatians or Building #9 in Toy Story Are not that bad either