PDA

View Full Version : Twitter?

Earnhardt321
03-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone does the Twitter thing? I am not sure what it is all about. How does it differ from MySpace or Facebook?

Ian
03-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Twitter is far more stripped down than Facebook or MySpace.

Think of a site where all you do is enter a 150 word or less "Facebook status message."

It's definitely gaining popularity. Being in advertising, I can tell you it's becoming a big component of the social media aspect of what we do.

Personally, I think it has limited value.

Disney_Guy
03-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I love twitter for that reason, Ian. It's so simple and not filled with all of those pirates vs. ninjas junk applications and stuff (I don't mind the Disney quizzes though). You can also talk to people in real time about things and find people who like the same items. Someone could "twitter" their experiences at a park and everyone could "follow" it in real time.

Thanks,
Disney_Guy

ryca1dreams
04-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Found this on a search, but I think this is a pretty interesting tool for people especially Intercotees who are always looking for the most up to date information. You can follow someone and they post info from a mobile phone and the followers see it instantly. The simplicity is what I like. Even my mom does this - she's in her 60s.

magicofdisney
04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi,

My name is Genna, I'm 36 years old and I don't Twitter, I don't Blog and I don't FaceBook. It has nothing to do with my age, I just like my privacy. :)

weswerx
04-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Yep, twitter...that's where I've been. I still don't get it, but I gotta have it. Gotta go...gotta twitter.
So, what are you doing? :D

JanetMegan
04-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I was just coming on to ask some of the same quiestions. I will agree that thhe status updates are my fave part of Facebook and I to can do without all the games and stuff so this does interest me. I do wish somehow it could be combined with myspace or facebook so I could find contacts I already have more easily. I'm not sure how to go about finding people...

SBETigg
04-15-2009, 02:46 PM
I twitter. I'm also on Facebook and Myspace. I probably wouldn't bother if it wasn't helpful in my line of work to reach out to new people and generate interest, but I'm glad I did because I have reconnected with a lot of old friends on Facebook.

Janet, there is a way you can connect your Facebook and Twitter for updates. There's a Search section in the toolbar of Twitter that allows you to type in names and see if they're on Twitter. I've also installed a module for Twitter updates on my Myspace page. Facebook is my favorite of the three. I ignore most of the apps, but it's fun to see what my friends are up to with them. Except for the egg hunt- I wish that one would end. Every other message update is someone finding another egg, and I don't care. :blush: But back to Twitter, it's nice to have the status updates without any extra fluff. If I follow someone who updates too often, though, I usually drop them unless they are actually close friends. And you don't have to feel obligated to follow everyone who follows you.

JanetMegan
04-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Well hopefully I will figure it out cause it seems sort of fun (like I need one more thing to waste my time on right?) (janetmojo on twitter)

WDWDale
04-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Twitter is nothing special. Signed up only to do a conference chat setting. Once that was over I've never even looked at it. Social networking sites just take up too much time and people are so anxious to check "status messages".

"I'm home."
"Went to the store to get milk."
"Back home again."
"Making dinner."

Ummm..should we care? :confused:

Nascfan
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't get the appeal. Although everytime I hear it I think of twitterpated from Bambi, so if it reminds me of something Disney I guess it has some value. :mickey:

Wayne
04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Twitter is nothing special. Signed up only to do a conference chat setting. Once that was over I've never even looked at it. Social networking sites just take up too much time and people are so anxious to check "status messages".

"I'm home."
"Went to the store to get milk."
"Back home again."
"Making dinner."

Ummm..should we care? :confused:

IMHO, NO :thedolls:

PirateLover
04-21-2009, 05:04 PM
I tweet.

citizensnoopy
04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a Twitter account, but I don't really understand the purpose. If I want to post a status update, I'll do so on Facebook. :D

Hull-onian
04-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Not to get off topic, I got an awful lot of Easter Eggs and one even hatched. It was cool!!:cool:

Earnhardt321
04-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Ok I just joined Twitter. Not sure if I will use it often but I will try it out. (Bonnieg88 is my user name)

ElenitaB
04-25-2009, 01:49 PM
I've been on Twitter for a long time now (well over a year). I don't follow people who post what they had for breakfast and get bored quickly with those who post their plans for the day. However, I do follow people who are leaders in my area of work, who post links to interesting articles. I follow a few people who are very funny and manage to inject quite a bit of wit into 140 characters (hey, Gary). I follow people I truly admire (like Lance Armstrong). I follow news sources (like the NY Times) who will post links to top stories. And last but not least, I follow friends and family.

Twitter is one aspect of social media. It may or may not be one's cup of tea. Me... I check maybe once or twice a day and enjoy the break from the pressures of my day.

DizHawk
04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
I also have limited patience for Twitter. I use it, but it's more of an advertising thing than anything else to try and get people to look at what I write.

However, I have found a great use for Twitter. One of our local TV stations set up a Twitter account for the weather. Anytime storms move into the area, they post updates on Twitter. To me, that kind of information is ideal for Twitter. Time-sensitve and important to know. I would love to see the NWS pick up on it and do the same thing.

Mendelson
04-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm in communications for an organization very focused on one particular profession and not only do I tweet about the work of our org - new reports we've written and what not - but I also post interesting news articles highlighting the work of that profession.

People who follow us - only up to 70 now but we're adding a few every day - are very interested in this profession, work in this area, etc. So I can hope that my tweets help them or at least is of interest.

Pres Obama spoke in our building today and I followed along and tweeted some highlights from his speech as he said them. The immediacy of twitter is one thing people like. If he had made a big announcement and I immediately posted it, the people following us would have been the first in the world (other than those watching on C Span) to know about it.

Most famously, the very first photos and news of the plane in the Hudson showed up on Twitter first. Took Google hours.

2Epcot
05-04-2009, 10:49 AM
One of my most recent status updates on Facebook was: "You will not find me on Twitter". I like Facebook, I've only been using it about 9 months. I've reconnected with many old friends, but don't see the need for "real-time" updates or to follow anything or anyone on Twitter. Hearing Ashton Kutcher and CNN competing for followers gave me more reason to stay away. There may be some good uses of Twitter, but right now it's the iPhone of social networks, and I didn't stand in line for one of those either.

diz_girl
05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi,

My name is Genna, I'm 36 years old and I don't Twitter, I don't Blog and I don't FaceBook. It has nothing to do with my age, I just like my privacy. :)

:ditto:

I just don't feel need to tweet every time that I change a diaper or feed the cats. Really, I don't have time for all of that stuff (except Intercot, the sole exception).

disneyboy98
05-28-2009, 01:02 AM
In all honesty, I was against Twitter until Earnhard321 (thanks Bonnie) showed it to me. I do like Facebook for the fact that I can see what my friends all over the world are up to. But I do like the fact that I can post just little thoughts here and there and see what others are thinking about as well.

I actually am starting to use twitter in my classroom to give real time updates about what we are up to in our studies. I know some of you are probably saying, "why are you on twitter when you should be teaching?" Well, we actually use it in class to post our little thoughts on things we are discussing in the classroom and we use it to share with my student's parents/guardians in real time. Parents can check in during the day to see what we are up to, homework that has been assigned, upcoming events, and websites or videos we are looking at. I also send out links to our classroom wikispace account for a more detailed description of our classroom events on progress.

The link on the bottom of my signature is for my own personal twitter account, but you can find me under "mrbyoung" if you want to see my classroom one. On my personal one I like to share what kind of new music I am listening to, how far I am running as I am training for my upcoming marathons, websites that I am interested in and want to be accessible to me anywhere. Plus, I frequently like to post some of my favorite Disney stuff that I find all over the internet (eg. links to Intercot) :).

Some may see Twitter as a big time waster and a "I already have facebook so I don't need it" type of site. I have tried it and have really enjoyed it.

My two cents!