PDA

View Full Version : AK -What do you recommend?

minnie-mouse
03-30-2009, 01:33 PM
What shows and attractions do you recommend for a 4 and 7 year old girl? Thanks for any help you can provide.

WVParkfan
03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
The Animal Kingdom is our family's favorite park! It has been since our first visit.

Our DD is almost 9 now, and will be trying Dinosaur this year for the first time!

But based on her 8+ years of visits to the AK, here's what I would suggest:

- Kilaminjaro Safari (different every time you ride it!).
- Festival of the Lion King (best show in Disney)
- Finding Nemo
- The Dig Site (really fun play area... the best play area in Disney and OK for older kids).
- Triceratops Spin
- Camp Mickey Minnie for autographs
- Paths around the tree of life. Lots of hidden areas with real animals and beautiful carvings.
- Jammin' Jungle Parade. Our favorite parade in Disney!
- Flights of Wonder. Surprisingly good show.
- Kali River Rapids (if you think your 4 year old would like it. Our daughter surprised us when she was 5 and insisted on riding Kali. She doesn't like thrill rides, but loved Kali).
- The Pangani Forest trail is great.

Now the bad:
- Our daughter loved the train ride, but hated Rafiki's Planet Watch. We've forced her to go back again, but now we just skip it. I don't know why, but I think it is boring to her.
- Everest is too big for our 8 year old. Plus, she isn't ready for roller coasters.
- It's Tough to be a Bug is AWESOME. But, it can be terrifying for a little one. Our daughter hates it. There's lots of interaction, and you get poked a few times. You may not want to do this.
- Maharaja Jungle Trek is fun, but there is a section with giant bats. You may want to think twice about taking the girls in there.

Good luck and have fun. The AK is absolutely magical for our family.

minnie-mouse
03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks so much, that was great advice and really helps.

minnie-mouse
03-30-2009, 01:47 PM
What time is the Jammin Jungle parade usually at? 3 pm?

WVParkfan
03-30-2009, 02:07 PM
I always thought it was 4pm. But checking Disney's official website for this week, it says that it begins at 3:45 pm. That's an odd time.

Of course, you can always check the guide when you pick up your map at the park.

FaithTrustPixieDust
03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Now the bad:
- Our daughter loved the train ride, but hated Rafiki's Planet Watch. We've forced her to go back again, but now we just skip it. I don't know why, but I think it is boring to her.
- Everest is too big for our 8 year old. Plus, she isn't ready for roller coasters.
- It's Tough to be a Bug is AWESOME. But, it can be terrifying for a little one. Our daughter hates it. There's lots of interaction, and you get poked a few times. You may not want to do this.
- Maharaja Jungle Trek is fun, but there is a section with giant bats. You may want to think twice about taking the girls in there.

I guess that just goes to show that every kid is different! My 5 and 7 year olds LOVE LOVE LOVE Expedition Everest. DS5 even talked us into buying him a small stuffed Yeti, which he sleeps with and talks to all the time. ("Shame on you for tearing up that roller coaster!")

Although I hear some people are disppointed with Rafiki's Planet Watch, my kids loved it. It's definitely more low key than other areas of the parks. They loved the "petting zoo" area, plus there are often some good characters there- that's the one and only time we've met Pocahontas- We had fun in the sound booths, and DH could have searched for Hidden Mickeys in that mural all day long. I was the only one in the family trying to nudge them along to the rest of the park. :blush:

There are also some fun bands that perform, and they involve the kids, which is always fun. And you MUST search out Devine . . kids and grown ups are sure to be fascinated with her.

joonyer
03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
There are lots of good "big" attraction at AK, but one smaller one that is often overlooked but is well worth seeing is the Flights of Wonder bird show. It's educational, entertaining and FUNNY. Don't miss it.

LandFan
03-30-2009, 03:08 PM
FLights of WOnder is one of our favorite shows! FOTLK is great too. DH likes the new NEMO show a lot even though he doesn't generally like shows so that is a ringing endorsement :D Actually, AK is a place that we like a lot! There are a ton of great things to see and do there.

DANAM
03-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Our kids are the same age but my 4 year old is a boy. They love this park.
Lion King show is the best. Be sure to sit towards the bottom of the row on either end. Your child could be picked at the end of the show to walk around and preform with the characters.
My DD7 loves pocahontas but the show fills up quick so go early. DS is shy so he will not sit with the other kids in the front.
They really liked all the exploration trails and the Safari.
Flights of wonder kept the attention but I don't think that would be on the top of there list. It's kind of one of those I've seen it twice why bother.
My kids really like Rafiki's plant watch. They like to stop at Habitat Habit, the kidcot style booths, in the beginning as your walking to conservation station. I have to say we have never done the petting zoo because that's not really my thing and both times we when it had stormed that day or day before and it was so sloppy. There's also a character greeting inside. Short waits for autographs. We've got meko, rafiki, pocahontas, ect. in there.
DD went on everest 3 years ago when it first openned and she will never go on it again the yeti really scared her. I haven't been on it so I can't say for sure what it's about. My son wasn't tall enough and now that he is I wouldn't put him on it because of her fear.
DD loves Kali we rode several times in a row one EMH night the cast member just let us stay on and go over and over again. My son did it once and got off he was just 3 at the time.
Nemo show they both love again go very early and don't be scared of the line. We were infront of dinorama on our last trip and got in and sat in the bottom section of the theater.
They both liked Dino but I hated it.
Other than Everest and possibly Dino everything is very kid friendly here.

mrsgaribaldi
03-31-2009, 01:17 AM
We love Flights of Wonder. Sometimes the cast is different and there are little changes so we always like to see it. Finding Nemo is also great (to us). Get there early and wait on line and get a good seat. One time we just joined the line as it was moving and we barely made it into the theater. The seats were far away and I had trouble seeing:mickey:

minnie-mouse
04-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Isn't the Kilamanjaro Safari ride kind of bumpy for litle children to be on? I haven't been on it in years, so I don't remember.

ASweetLov
04-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I have not done much in Animal Kingdom but I can recommend It's Tough To Be A Bug. It's cute and entertaining, just dont sit back on your seat because there is a part of the show where you will feel like you got stung by a bee and that comes from the back of the chair. Also when you see the stink bug on screen hold your breath for awhile!

rainbodragon
04-01-2009, 02:52 PM
i have to disagree about its tough to be a bug. its loud, parts are dark, and it generally freaks kids out. i mean it depends on the kid i guess.

and dont forget dinosaurs, that one is really intense and could easily scare little ones.:mickey:

Bass T-bone
04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Can't beat Cinderella's Golden Carrousel at the Magic Kingdom. :number1: