PDA

View Full Version : Mama Melrose VS. Hollywood & Vine...

LandFan
03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
I am thinking of doing the Fantasmic Dinner package at one of these two places. I don't ordinarily eat in DHS for dinner (we usually go to BOMA or JIKO that night) but we thought we might try it this time (free dining and all...) because DH wants to hit Fantasmic for sure this trip (we've skipped it the last few times).

So, which is better and why...??? Better food, atmosphere, service, etc.

Also, what types of foods are on the buffet at H&V? I can get a specific menu for Mama's but for H&V I just get general lists... are they bland and boring or are they spiced up nicely and fresh?

We did eat at Mama's once a very long time ago and I hardly think it would be an accurate measuring stick.

Thanks!

EJS-Houston
03-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I've not actually been to Hollywood and Vine...but Mama Melrose's has become a favorite for us that we go back to everytime we've go to WDW. I know other posters have been ambivalent about it, but both times we've been to Mama Melrose's (November '05 and November '07) we were completely charmed by the atmosphere and decor and delighted with the food. I can definitely recommend Mama Melrose's.

Aurora's Mom
03-30-2009, 01:16 PM
We actually did 2 fantasmic dinners on our last visit--Brown Derby and Hollywood & Vine.

The Hollywood & Vine dinner was one of the better dinners we had at the World.

My husband had prime rib and thought it was wonderful (and he's a meat snob)--I had shrimp and a pasta or two.

Our kids (3 & 4) found plenty they liked. We plan on doing this one again this October--we really enjoyed it.

Tip: If you like Pina Coladas, ask them to make you the specialty Pina Colada without the raspberry--it was delish!

SBETigg
03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
We've never tried Mama Melrose but we did not like H & V. Typical buffet quality food-- things that can be made for a crowd and kept warm, mediocre at best. There wasn't anything bad, but there wasn't anything memorable or particularly good. I would definitely skip it in favor of almost anything else.

oliver&bianca
03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
We have been to both H&V and Mama's, and Mama's is definetly the better choice. We would not go back to H&V (mainly due to the quality of the food). We found both the food and atmosphere at Mama's very nice and would recommend it to others.

MMFreak
03-30-2009, 01:44 PM
I would choose H&V. We tried MM twice and disliked it very much both times. The first time we thought it was just a bad choice in meals so we thought we would give it another try and it was the same.

I suggest you look at the menu's and let that help you decide and if that still doesn't work flip a coin.

@ intercot you will more than likely have equal amounts of people on both sides.

Good luck!

twinboyz
03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
I can only let you know about MM, never been to H&V. We thought it was great and our waitress was wonderful. The food was yummy and even the kids (who were 5 at the time) loved the appetizers. Great family atmosphere and I would definitely eat there again. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your decision!

FenwayGirl
03-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Mama Melrose's Fantasmic package dinner is a must for our family. It is a tradition to go there on our first night. The kids...who are now adults have continued this tradition with their families and friends.
The food is good and I love the atmosphere.

Dulcee
03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I would go with MM. We never really like dinner buffets and the food at MM is always consistently yummy.

KatMark
03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
We try to give every Disney restaurant two tries. We are sorry that we didn't stop after one at the H&V. We will never go back. Bad service...starting from the hostess, to the server. Tables never cleaned--dirty plates not taken away, forever to get original drink order. Floor dirty. Food bland/mediocre at best and lukewarm. Ran out of food numerous times and took forever to replace. The best part of the place is the dessert.

We go to Mama Melrose every year (the last three) and we've always had good food and great service. We've seen Fantasmic numerous times over the last six visits and will probably skip this year because we want to go to Sci-Fi or 50's since we've not been in at least ten years.

Mackflava99
03-30-2009, 05:16 PM
H&V is way better

its a very interesting and surprisingly healthy buffet, but i has stuff for everyone. We were very surprised the first time and went again and enjoyed it again. - Mama melrse is not bad but its not too special.

DANAM
03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Hollywood and Vine!!!

Mama's was one of our fav's until a child was sick at the next table and no one cleaned it up. Besides that we felt like the food has been going down hill big time. Hollywood and Vine is so much better.

andreallybadeggs
03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
So as you can see we Intercotees feel strongly both ways ;)
We've had really good experiences with H and V; felt it was good value for the $ and everyone in 2 large groups, including a couple of incredibly picky eaters, could find something on the buffet that they really liked.

LandFan
03-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah - I guess I 'll just have to make a decision... We will probably try H&V since it is not our dime this time and since we have eaten at Mama's before (even if it was a while ago...)

Thanks for all of the responses!!

KylesMom
03-30-2009, 09:19 PM
We try to give every Disney restaurant two tries. We are sorry that we didn't stop after one at the H&V. We will never go back. Bad service...starting from the hostess, to the server. Tables never cleaned--dirty plates not taken away, forever to get original drink order. Floor dirty. Food bland/mediocre at best and lukewarm. Ran out of food numerous times and took forever to replace. The best part of the place is the dessert.

We go to Mama Melrose every year (the last three) and we've always had good food and great service.

We had the same experience at H&V in 2000 (except that the ice cream machine was broken), and have been going back to MM each year since '01 - multiple times on each trip. We've never been disappointed, and we had stellar service each time this past summer season in '08. :mickey:

DizneyRox
03-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Hmmm... Choice between H&V or Mama Melrose huh? Can I have a third choice? Like take my eyes out with a fireplace poker? That's the only way I'd eat at either of those places...

I'd rather go hungry with only those two choices.

Pirate Granny
03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Whatever restaurant you choose, make SURE you call for your ADR the first day you are eligible...there are very limited ADR's for the fantasmic packages...and since they are no longer every night it's a hard ADR to get. I called on my first available day...at 7am...after holding 45 minutes...I could only get H&V at 4:10pm...nothing available at either MM or BD...and since Fantasmic is at 8pm they told me no ADR's after 5:30 for that package. Now, on another note I did get CRT for 5:30 for the first night that we tried...go figure.
:pirate:

LandFan
03-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Hmmm... Choice between H&V or Mama Melrose huh? Can I have a third choice? Like take my eyes out with a fireplace poker? That's the only way I'd eat at either of those places...

I'd rather go hungry with only those two choices.

I get where you are coming from:D that's why we haven't ever eaten at H&V and haven't eaten at MM in so long... we've always found better fare elsewhere. I'm only doing it this time for the Fantasmic tix/seating because it will be the end of August and I don't think Dmom will want to stand in a line forever in the heat (oh, and I'm not paying for it). If I can't get the fantasmic pkg when I call for ressies, we will probably forego both places and eat somewhere else altogether!

brownie
03-31-2009, 08:41 AM
We've eaten at both places and liked them both. With some fussy eaters in the family, Hollywood & Vine works out better for us. I like the variety of offerings and they had a great sundae bar.

NJGIRL
03-31-2009, 04:11 PM
We did not like Mama Melrose when we ate there. I found the food to be just "OK" Italian food which we are not used to.

We like Hollywood and Vine because it has something for everyone in our family. I found the food to be hot and fresh. I also thought while the select was "simple" food it had alot of taste and flavor. I loved all the different types of "salads" and the desserts.

IMO all Disney buffets are overpriced and the Hollywood and Vine is no exception but for the lack of flavor in the food at Mama Melrose that was no bargain either.