PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's Gone!

ryca1dreams
03-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Not a big issue but food for thought (pun intended)...

A friend/co-worker just came back and during his week stay, all MacDonald's fries locations diappeared. He asked someone at a restaurant about this and they said they "lost the contract". Also, the McDonald's near the All Stars Resorts closed down.

Does anyone have any more information on this? Is this also part of the downsizing?

MickeyMousse
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
I received an email from a friend who is down there right now who said the McDonalds by the All Star is being torn down and that the fry kiosks in every park are now closed. :(

It was a decent snack for a decent price for my DF to share when we just wanted something to tie us over until a meal.

Oh well.

Andys5Toys
03-30-2009, 12:56 PM
My 4 year old will be very dissapointed. He liked calling it the "silly McDonalds."

baby minnie's mommy
03-30-2009, 01:02 PM
I received an email from a friend who is down there right now who said the McDonalds by the All Star is being torn down and that the fry kiosks in every park are now closed. :(

Oh no!!! I'm so disappointed! We've gone to that one many times even though we weren't staying at the All-Stars. DH is not gonna be happy either...:(

DizneyRox
03-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Hmm. the actual McDonalds near the All-start sortof surprises me, however the writing has been on the wall for a while on the in park locations.

First, Disney/McDonalds movie promotions stopped a while back (when the movies started bombing)... Miraculously Disney decided to start serving healthy foods, which McDonald's really isn't synonymous with. I think that was Disney's way of saying, "Oh yeah!". ME was probably the death knell to the on property out of the way location near AS.

I would be very surprised to see the one at DTD go however...

LandFan
03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Oh- I did like the one out by All-stars. I only ever used it when we rented a car though and ME has allowed us to not have to do that for the last 4 or 5 years now so I can see how it might have affected traffic too.

In the parks I always preferred non-everyday food anyway, but then, I didn't have a toddler or child to keep happy either so it was easier for us.

Bummer - It was a neat McDonald's - DH will miss it too.

spoonful of sugar
03-30-2009, 02:56 PM
does anyone know if the one at downtown disney is staying? i sure hope so. the fries were always a great snack especially at mk over by dumbo.

ILoveLegos
03-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Is the McDonalds @ All-Stars the same Mickey-D advertized out on a Route 4 Billboard near Celebration as the world's largest McDonalds?

I always wanted to stop there to check the biggest Mickey-Ds out. I guess I'll have to do that at the second largest Mickey-Ds if this is the one they shut down, hehehe! :)

baby minnie's mommy
03-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Is the McDonalds @ All-Stars the same Mickey-D advertized out on a Route 4 Billboard near Celebration as the world's largest McDonalds?

I always wanted to stop there to check the biggest Mickey-Ds out. I guess I'll have to do that at the second largest Mickey-Ds if this is the one they shut down, hehehe! :)

No, it's not the largest. :mickey: The World's Largest McDonalds is at Sand Lake Rd. and International Drive at I4. (Not on Disney property, but very close.) :whew: :D

TheVBs
03-30-2009, 09:58 PM
So I guess that means Restaurantosaurus is serving something different now? I have to say that I thought their "Happy Meals" with the punch out postcards were very cool. I was hoping to get another this trip.

Figment!
03-31-2009, 12:31 AM
A friend/co-worker just came back and during his week stay, all MacDonald's fries locations diappeared. Yes, the kiosks serving McDonald's branded products are being renovated and re-named.

This started with Pertrifries at the Animal Kingdom (re-opened as a Turkey Leg Kiosk named TriloBites) and then Frontierland Fries at the Magic Kingdom (re-opened as the Golden Oak Outpost).

The details of the remaining changes are covered in Tidbits March 2009 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=150917).

Also, the McDonald's near the All Stars Resorts closed down.
I received an email from a friend who is down there right now who said the McDonalds by the All Star is being torn down Unless something recently (and drastically) changed, the location has not closed and is only under-going significant exterior renovations. Concept art of the new exterior was displayed near the location at the start of the construction earlier this month.

So I guess that means Restaurantosaurus is serving something different now? Restaurantosaurus ceased serving McDonald's branded menu items in May 2008.

ILoveLegos
03-31-2009, 01:12 AM
No, it's not the largest. :mickey: The World's Largest McDonalds is at Sand Lake Rd. and International Drive at I4. (Not on Disney property, but very close.) :whew: :D

Great! Then I still have a chance to stop in to see the World's LArgest McDonalds. Thanks for the clarification.

mrsgaribaldi
03-31-2009, 01:20 AM
I rarely eat McDonalds but I did like to have some fries in the AK. Oh well.:mickey:

DizneyRox
03-31-2009, 06:49 AM

Really, that's the largest? I go by that all the time it seems llike nothing special when we go by. All I notice is the giant flashing billboard for $49 rooms.

TheVBs
03-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for that info Figment! :mickey: Does anyone know if you can still get the cool Happy Meal style dino-themed boxes at Restaurantosaurus?

lockedoutlogic
03-31-2009, 09:28 AM
I too would be completely shocked if either the McD's near Blizzard/All Stars or the Marketplace location were to close....

Unless McDonald's wanted to close them....it doesn't hurt Disney at all to let them operate. Downtown always has alot of foot traffic...so any third party locations are probably viewed as a good thing by management....and the one near the 6000 rooms at all stars provides a convenient extra food option to the limited arrangement that is featured at Values....

I don't think Disney has any reason to "force them out"

big blue and hairy
03-31-2009, 10:33 AM
The exterior of the McDonalds near the All-Stars is being refurbed, not closed. They're still open during the refurb.

The McDonalds at the Marketplace is also still open.

:sulley:

Mousemates
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
The exterior of the McDonalds near the All-Stars is being refurbed, not closed. They're still open during the refurb.

While I hate to reveal how low on the culinary ladder my tastebuds tend to take me...I too will join the chorus of folks who are glad that the all-star version of McDonalds is not closing...not so much for the fries (that's Mrs. Mousemates vice), but for those baseline 99cent cheeseburgers...when served piping hot they are wonderful.:cloud9:

big blue and hairy
03-31-2009, 12:22 PM
While I hate to reveal how low on the culinary ladder my tastebuds tend to take me...
:funny: Well, I absolutely love to go out with DW to Citrico's, or California Grill for a great meal, but there's also something irresistible about fresh hot McDonalds fries and a fresh hot Big Mac...:faint:

MomTo3Tiggers
04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
For us it's a good thing. McDonald's french fries (unless something has changed) are not safe for kids with dairy allergies. The McDonald's concession seriously cut back on my ability to get my kids french fries, which Disney does make.

TheRustyScupper
04-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I received an email from a friend who is down there right now who said the McDonalds by the All Star is being torn down and that the fry kiosks in every park are now closed.

Boy, when you cross Disney, you are Persona non Grata:
. . . your name is removed from all signs
. . . your identity is voided
. . . your buildings are torn down
. . . your memory is erased

big blue and hairy
04-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Boy, when you cross Disney, you are Persona non Grata:
. . . your name is removed from all signs
. . . your identity is voided
. . . your buildings are torn down
. . . your memory is erasedExcept that the email is wrong....the fry kiosk are being replaced, the McDonalds by the All Stars is not being torn down, it's not even closed. They are redoing the outside.

TheRustyScupper
04-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Except that the email is wrong....the fry kiosk are being replaced, the McDonalds by the All Stars is not being torn down, it's not even closed. They are redoing the outside.

1) That is good news.
2) At least it isn't Scorched Earth time.
3) Maybe.

andreallybadeggs
04-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Guess I'm really in the minority on this one when I say good riddance.
While I've eaten as many of those tasty golden taters as anyone I have never consumed any on Disney property. No not even one. Not really sure why but my family considers this kind of an abomination. During our WDW stays we want everything to be as magical as possible ie. totally different from the hum drum of normal life. And honey, ain't nothing spells hum drum to us like McDonalds.;)

TheVBs
04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I was just reading some articles on this and all of them said that it was Disney that opted not to renew the contract with McDonalds for the movie promotions. I think this was in 2006. The speculation on that, and removing the locations from the parks, seems to be that Disney is worried about being associated with the unhealthy food McDonalds serves.

grumpydude
04-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Not a big issue but food for thought (pun intended)...

A friend/co-worker just came back and during his week stay, all MacDonald's fries locations diappeared. He asked someone at a restaurant about this and they said they "lost the contract". Also, the McDonald's near the All Stars Resorts closed down.

Does anyone have any more information on this? Is this also part of the downsizing?
The last time we were there,McDonalds next to the ALL-Stars was being refurbished

DizneyRox
04-06-2009, 09:46 PM
I was just reading some articles on this and all of them said that it was Disney that opted not to renew the contract with McDonalds for the movie promotions.
I guess it depends on who's spin you want to believe. It is a pretty established fact that Disney animated movies lately, have been average at best. They were in an exclusive contract with Disney to promote Disney movies, not Dreamworks, etc. They used to be able to make some decent money on a tie in with incredibly performing movies, since that went away, and the exclusivity clause prevented them from contracting with other, better performing movies, it would seems to be a sticking point for contract negotiations.

I don't see the above being too far out of left field to be plausible.

I don't see the kids meals DIsney is currently offering to be all that healthy. Not something I would want my kids eating 24/7, even on vacation...

disneyboundagain
04-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Guess I'm really in the minority on this one when I say good riddance.
While I've eaten as many of those tasty golden taters as anyone I have never consumed any on Disney property. No not even one. Not really sure why but my family considers this kind of an abomination. During our WDW stays we want everything to be as magical as possible ie. totally different from the hum drum of normal life. And honey, ain't nothing spells hum drum to us like McDonalds.;)

I couldn't agree more! I eat more fast food than I care to admit when I am home, there is NO WAY I'm going to eat it on vacation, let alone at Disney World.

brownie
04-07-2009, 09:12 AM
We've eaten at the McDonald's by the All-Stars a couple times, but we have lots of opportunities to eat at McDonald's. I'd rather eat at places I can't eat at back home when I'm at Walt Disney World.

Goes4FastPass
04-07-2009, 04:49 PM
So Disney replaced a McD Fry stand with a Turkey Leg stand? That was a step in the, uh, uh, what direction was that??

big blue and hairy
04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
So Disney replaced a McD Fry stand with a Turkey Leg stand? That was a step in the, uh, uh, what direction was that??It's a lower carb direction.....

TheVBs
04-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I guess it depends on who's spin you want to believe. It is a pretty established fact that Disney animated movies lately, have been average at best. They were in an exclusive contract with Disney to promote Disney movies, not Dreamworks, etc. They used to be able to make some decent money on a tie in with incredibly performing movies, since that went away, and the exclusivity clause prevented them from contracting with other, better performing movies, it would seems to be a sticking point for contract negotiations.

I don't see the above being too far out of left field to be plausible.

I don't see the kids meals DIsney is currently offering to be all that healthy. Not something I would want my kids eating 24/7, even on vacation...

That's certainly possible. I read similar articles from a variety of news sources though. I would think if there were a different story at least one of them would have reported on it. Certainly McDonalds dumping Disney as opposed to vise versa would have made a more interesting story.

lockedoutlogic
04-08-2009, 09:45 PM
It's a lower carb direction.....

and a 5 fold increase in saturated fat.....and we're talking about McDonalds here....

spoonful of sugar
04-13-2009, 01:19 PM
so, are there any mcdonald's fry kiosks in any of the parks? someone who just came back please. the dh and i always liked an afternoon snack of fries over by the carousel in mk being we do not eat lunch. guess this upcoming trip we will have to deal with a pretzel. we're going to miss those fries.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Our family always felt that McD's in the "world" was a little out of place, it reminded us too much of the "real" world!

We never eat at McD's in Disney, why eat somewhere you can get at home?

julyjewel
04-14-2009, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't be disappointed if the fries disappeared. Disney needs to have fresh fries. For those you from the Burgh, I'm talking Potato Patch Fries! MMMMMMM!

Goes4FastPass
04-14-2009, 01:51 PM
...We never eat at McD's in Disney, why eat somewhere you can get at home?

I agree 1000%.

I eat at McD's more often than I should but I never find myself walking through a Disney Theme Park thinking, "What this place needs is some McDonald french fries!"

Stu29573
04-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Yep, I never ate there and I'm not sorry to see them go. It WAS too much "real world"...

DizneyRox
04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I eat at McD's more often than I should but I never find myself walking through a Disney Theme Park thinking, "What this place needs is some McDonald french fries!"
Because you're too busy adding up all the magic you're receiving! :thumbsup:

big blue and hairy
04-16-2009, 11:48 AM
and a 5 fold increase in saturated fat.....and we're talking about McDonalds here....
To borrow momentarily from Scup...

1. Actually I was talking about the turkey legs

2. I was making a joke.

big blue and hairy
04-16-2009, 11:52 AM
I eat at McD's more often than I should but I never find myself walking through a Disney Theme Park thinking, "What this place needs is some McDonald french fries!":offtopic: Yeah, but every time DW and I were in Europe, I craved the "fried pies". They still fry them in Europe...