PDA

View Full Version : Por General Store Question

Insanity Clause
03-30-2009, 09:24 AM
My family and I are on Basic Dining plan and we are trying to be as economical as possible when it comes to breakfast. We will 5 people and that can add up quickly when do out of pocket meals. We were thinking of bringing a box of cereal with us and then buying some milk at the general store at POR. My question is if we didn't have the room in our suitcase if the store has cereal that we could purchase ther or other items we could have for breakfast without having to go to restaurants for breakfast.

ILoveLegos
03-30-2009, 10:01 AM
You will pay a lot more for small "individual sized" cups of cereal at POR general store & in the counter service place. Bulk sized cereal boxes will feed you longer for cheaper. Take the cereal out of the box and just pack the bags if room is a problem in your suitcase. If it is a packed bag you might want to poke a few small holes in the bag, so that the air presure change does not "pop" the bag sending cereal throughout your luggage (I've never packed cereal but I have had this happen with lotion and shampoo in the past - so I pack those in zip lock bags just to be safe, anywho - I digressed from your question, sorry).

FYI -The milk containers for sale at POR convenience strore is small enough to fit in the in-room refrigerators. I wouldn't try to stuff a gallon jug in that frig, it won't fit.

One last suggestion, if you like them, you can get a large box of cereal bars, to take with you, they are individually wrapped, easy to pack & eat on the go, plus you don't need a bowl, milk, or a spoon to enjoy them. They came in many of the popular cereal varieties too!

-Hope this helps!

Insanity Clause
03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the idea of the cereal bars. We have never really had them but that is a wonderful idea. They would be a lot easier to travel with and we really just need something to tide us over till our counter service lunch around 11-12. Thank you again.

eam
03-30-2009, 11:31 AM
For a mini-adventure, you could always take the boat over to DD, walk across the street to the Hess station and pick up a few 'cheaper' grocery items there to take back to your room. We always go to one of the stations for one of these mini-adventures as they also have cheap pizzas. Good luck and have fun!

#1donaldfan
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
...we nornally take pop tarts and eat 'em on the way to the bus depot.....as for milk...you can buy 1/2 gallon sizes at the general store and the fridge will hold it just fine....actually, I do believe the fridge will hold a full gallon size in the bottom section...I really don't remember seeing full size boxes of cereal though.... I like the idea of taking the cereal inserts and poking a small hole in them, then placing them in the suitcase....saves room, plus the extra room on the way back can be delegated for the goodies you buy to take home.....:mickey:

disneyfan328
03-30-2009, 12:12 PM
We stayed at POR and we packed both of our two youngest in one suitcase that way we had one suitcase to pack with our breakfast stuff. we bought the variety pack of small boxes of cereal, pop tarts, indv. packets of lemonade for our water, granola bars and cereal bars. we bought milk at the general store (which you can use or at least could at the time as a snack credit) it worked out great and the suticase was empty to bring home our souviners. we plan on doing the same this year whooo hooo 4 weeks to go!!

Pirate Granny
03-30-2009, 01:26 PM
We use Garden Grocer...they deliver the food directly to the hotel and we have it waiting in the luggage room for us. The Resort will even put the stuff in their refrig if you purchase stuff that needs refrigeration. This is great if you have babies and need diapers and such...better than trying to bring that much bulk in suitcases (now that you have to paid for luggage on most airlines).
:pirate:

ILoveLegos
03-30-2009, 05:20 PM
We stayed at POR and we packed both of our two youngest in one suitcase that way we had one suitcase to pack with our breakfast stuff...we plan on doing the same this year whooo hooo 4 weeks to go!!

If your youngest grow too much, they may put the bag over the weight limit. :blush: Sorry I could resist, I know you meant their clothes!:)