PDA

View Full Version : Need help writing a letter to DD's teachers

the other micki
03-30-2009, 12:56 AM
We are going to WDW the last week in April. I homeschool my DS's, so this is no problem with them. However, my DD14 is in 8th grade at our local school. I will shortly be e-mailing her teachers about the trip and asking if she may get assignments early, etc. Please give me some pointers for writing the letter. I want to give enough info. without giving too much. I want to sound respectful without sounding like I'm asking permission. Please help!!!

TIA!

disneyfan328
03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
I just did one of these letters myself on Friday as we are going to first week of May. For us we have to send a written request to the principal and then it goes to the kids' teachers. Our district has a policy that we can request up to 5 days off and have them be classified as excused for the purpose of travel or family vacations. One of the conditions is that once we return all work missed must be made up within 5 days and that once their teachers notifiy the office that this has been done they will list them as excused. I am at work this morning and don't have access to what I sent as I did it from home but it just basically stated that the dates that we would be off and were we were going. We listed some of the things that we will be doing that are or have an educational aspect such as the countries in the world showcase, the living with the land ride for agriculture, spaceship earth with a history of communication and also visiting Rafiki's for my DD as she is currently (I am sure it will change numerous times as she is only in 3rd grade) aspiring to be a Veteraniarian. We also put that we want to have some fun and enjoy some much needed family time together. We asked that if it is possible to send any work home before we go that we would be happy to have it completed, or we will have the children complete any assignments and tests when they get back. Also if in their abscense the teachers would like them to work on something like a journal or presentation to the class to let us know.

We did this when we went in 2007 and it worked out very well. My son who was in Kindergarden was sent home a large packet upon return to school to complete - My daughter who was in 2nd grade however did very well the week that she came back and was able to only have to make up a few tests. Her teacher said that she wasn't going to require anything else since she was doing well. I guess it is up to the teacher as my son also did very well.

good luck - not sure when you are sending it but I can email you the version that I sent tonight when I get home if you want to PM me.:thumbsup:

scootch713
03-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I usually write a nice letter saying I am taking her out for a family vacation and the dates she will miss. I put in, "i am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. I can assure you that we will do everything to get her work made up in a timely manner." Our school has a policy that no work will be given out before hand, but the teachers have always given us at least a bit of it. Don't fret too much over it, they either like it or they don't and so far we have not hit any teacher that hasn't been fairly cooperative. I do make sure that when it is turned in, the work is neat and that it is organized nicely too.

GoofyMom09
03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Hello:mickey:

I am a teacher and I don't think you should worry too much. We understand that family time is as important as school time. But make sure that you do inform the teacher personally and not just go through the principal. We like to be kept in the loop and it is not fun when the boss knows something like this and we haven't been notified. Have a great trip!

elmjimmlm
03-30-2009, 01:30 PM
At my kids school you can request a educational type "leave" that will excuse them for the time needed and they have to report on what they learned...

IloveJack
03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
As a middle/high school teacher, I would say there doesn't need to be a ton of info. My students are often absent for "family reasons" and I don't need to know exactly why. Plus, I'm of the opinion that you can learn anywhere, so I don't need a description as to what exactly will be learned on a family vacation.
As long as you make it obvious that your daughter intends to make up all work in a timely manner, and then follow-up to make sure she really does it, you should be fine. Just don't be the parent that promises all work will be completed by X date, and then keep asking for extensions. That's a quick way to burn a teacher. :secret:
Personally, I usually lessen the work that a student needs to make up, as long as I know that they understand the concepts. Oh, and since I'm jealous, I have them tell me all about their trip later! :thedolls:

pugslave
03-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I got this letter off a website years ago, and use it, and have never had any problems!

School Excuse Sample Letter

DATE:

TO: [school official]

RE: [students name and vacation dates]

Please be advised that [student] will be out of school during the week of [date]. We ask that his absences be excused.

The reason for [student]'s absence is that our family will be out of the state during this week. While we are gone, we will be visiting Walt Disney World. We believe that [student] will be learning many things during this trip and that his education will continue in his absence from school.

Some things [student] will learn about:

* Different cultures of the world, including architecture, language, diet, and dress, by visiting the different countries in the Epcot World Showcase (Japan, China, Germany, Mexico, Norway, Canada, France, etc.) [student] will have the chance to explore the exhibits for each country and speak with natives from each country who work as cast members.

* American history by viewing the Hall of Presidents presentation in the Magic Kingdom and the American Adventure show in Epcot.

* Nature and conservation at Animal Kingdom.

* Science by exploring the Mission:Space ride in Epcot where he will have a chance to see and feel what it would be like to travel by rocket to Mars and by experiencing the Universe of Energy exhibit which teaches about fossil fuels, energy, and conservation.

* Economics by managing his own spending money and making budget decisions on how to spend his money.

[student] will also be learning about map reading by navigating in and to the different theme parks, as well as the resorts and water parks via the Disney bus system, sociological aspects of crowds including patterns and behavior, physics of the different rides, breakthroughs in technology at the Innoventions computer lab in Epcot, art and animation and the history of film, and mathematics.

We believe this will be a wonderful and educational experience for [student] and hope you agree not to charge him with unexcused absences as a result. If it is possible for [student] to take any assignments with him to be turned in when we return or to turn in before we leave any work that will be due while he is gone, please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you for your attention to this. If you have any questions or need any further information, please feel free to contact me.

[Parent's Signture]

the other micki
03-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks, everyone! Some of your school districts sound a little more "laid back" than mine about absences, but I'm hoping since it's late in the year (after standardized testing), they might be a little understanding.

Thanks again!

buzznwoodysmom
03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
My kids and my brother's kids go to different schools, but here is one thing I noticed when both of our kids were taken out of school.

I informed them that my children would be out. I didn't ask permission, I let them know that they would be missing school. Now whatever the consequences were I was willing to accept/make my kids accept. They were very willing to work with us, but I made sure that I let them know that we fully expected that any homwork/tests would be make up however the teacher wanted it made up. What ever was the easiest for the teacher was going to be just fine with us.

My brother asked permission for his kids to miss school and he felt like that opened the door for them to be harder on them. At first they told him No, that he couldn't pull his kids out of school. So the whole thing started out on the wrong foot to begin with. When he let them know that he would pull them out anyway they did not let their kids make up any homework, tests, or assignments. He ended up very upset with the school and it was not the best experience.

I told my brother that he shouldn't have asked permission if he knew he'd take them out even if they said no. Why ask if your going to do it anyway, right? But I also told him that if my school had told me my kids couldn't make up tests and whatnot I would have respected their decission. Its my right to take my kids, but its also the schools right to not let them make up the missed work. It has to be something you are willing to accept when you decide to take kids out of school. So my best advice is to firmly, but nicely tell them your plans without asking permission and be willing to accept whatever policy they have reguarding that. I hope your school is as wonderful about family time as my kids school is. We've taken them out several times and have never had a hard time catching up and my kids have never suffered for it. Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

madandmaksmom
03-30-2009, 08:44 PM
I teach elementary school, and this really is not a problem in my classroom, as long as the parent is honest about the reason and are willing to help their child at home. I assign only work that is critical for the child to master the concepts that will be missed. Most teachers will be happy to accomodate. Of course, in my room, going to Disney is a totally excusable absence:teach:

Just be flexible and keep in mind that some schools prepare/plan together as a team. Your child's teacher may not be able to give you things very far in advance. You may have to complete the work when you get back.

Marilyn Michetti
03-30-2009, 09:33 PM
It used to be easier. Our first trip was in 1984 and we just told the school that we were going to be out of town for a few days. :yes:

I'm SO glad those days are over. :)

TheVBs
03-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Wow. I can't imagine asking permission from the school regarding a family event. We just give plenty of notice and make up the work. With all that's involved in planning a vacation and figuring out when we can afford it/have DH take time off work, it would just be impossible to throw another opinion in the mix. I'm so thankful we have such an awesome school district!

DreamFinder2
03-30-2009, 10:41 PM
But I also told him that if my school had told me my kids couldn't make up tests and whatnot I would have respected their decission. Its my right to take my kids, but its also the schools right to not let them make up the missed work. It has to be something you are willing to accept when you decide to take kids out of school.

Wow...I wish all of my students' parents were as practical and understanding as you! As a high school teacher, I truly appreciate your attitude about these situations. :thumbsup:

Otherwise, I'm with the other teachers who have posted here...as long as you keep "us" in the loop, it's not a big deal. Enjoy your vacation :mickey:

andreallybadeggs
03-30-2009, 11:47 PM
An 8th grade teacher chiming in here. Agree with previous poster (middle school teacher) and personally prefer a short, to the point note re. dates student will miss and a brief statement of willingness to support me with whatever I deem necessary to help him/her catch up. You don't have to sell me on the importance of family time so go, and have a wonderful trip. But please don't try to snow me with how educational this experience is going to be. If I can give assignments ahead of time I will. If not, upon return I'll send home the minimum amount of work I can to ensure that your child has a grasp of the concepts missed during the absence.