PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new car

The Flying Dutchman
03-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi all,

As some of you may remember, DW and I moved from Indiana to the Boston area this past summer. After surviving the past winter here in MA (snow storm after ice storm after snow storm after....well, you get the picture), it has been decided that we must get a vehicle with 4WD or AWD. We really like the 09 Subaru Forester and the Toyota RAV4, but would like to hear from some others that actually have these vehicles.

What do you think? Any other small SUVs that we should look at? Love or hate your Forester or RAV4? Any thoughts, as always, are greatly appreciated!

Altair
03-29-2009, 12:30 PM
I love my Rav4. The 4WD model only uses 4WD when needed. Go with the four cylinder over the six. I get about 25MPG. Never had a problem. :thumbsup:

RockinRobin
03-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Think American. The Jeep is a very good 4 wheel drive car

Altair
03-29-2009, 01:40 PM

It's because of Jeep that I drive Toyota's now. My son worked as a mechanic at a Chrysler/Jeep dealership, he can tell you some stories.
:ack:

RockinRobin
03-29-2009, 01:51 PM
I worked at a Toyota dealership and the stories I could tell you. There are stories at all dealerships I have worked for 4 different kinds of car dealerships and there are always stories. what I am saying we need to think American and support our own country and I am sure by checking out all the different brands you should be able to find a good American car.

DizneyRox
03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
After dealing with not being able to get my car up my driveway for a couple weeks last year, we went looking. There aren't a lot of choices honestly if you're going AWD.

We immediately eliminated American cars, we looked at the Subaru line, Mazda's SUVs and on a whim went to a Land Rover dealership. The Land Rover won hands down. We opted for the LR2 which is a compact SUV. I didn't like the room in the Subaru's. The Mazdas CX7 and CX9 were nice. The 9 was much better, but something didn't click. Our mileage with the LR2 is around 21 (6 cylinder 230HP), not bad for what it is, I've never seen anything more capable in all conditions...

We've been very hapy with the LR2. In looking at the latest CR (which I never see as a reliable source) it got excellent marks, but a worse than average rating. Same with the Toyota FJ. I don't get it...

I would put another in the garage in a second, actually, I plan to this year.

If it means anything, the Nissans seemed to score well this year, but I'll be replacing my current Nissan with another LR.

kakn7294
03-29-2009, 03:58 PM

It's because of Jeep that I drive Toyota's now. My son worked as a mechanic at a Chrysler/Jeep dealership, he can tell you some stories.
:ack:We love our Jeeps. I have a Liberty but it's awful in the snow. DH has a Grand Cherokee which is great in the snow. A friend has a Ford Escape hybrid and loves it.

bouncer
03-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Thinking American... Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep have plants outside the US as well as inside. For a long time the Eagle had Mitsubishi motors in them. Vice Versa Toyota has plants in the US as well (GA & KY). Is anything truly AMERICAN MADE anymore? My guess is most likely not. As an employee of a car dealership I say, "THANK YOU FOR YOUR PURCHASE!" Keep buying cars, it will keep America working. Also, as an employee in a car dealership I'd like to mention that we've seen an increase in the sale of Chrysler products these last few months. Good warranty, good rebates plus 0% financing. I personally drive a Dodge Durango because I too need something that can handle weather. I've ridden in the new RAV4 and to me the ride seems really stiff. Make sure whatever you choose that it has a good tread on the tire to grip the road (DH is a fan of BF Goodrich All Terrains). I need to replace my tires soon and will be purchasing BF Goodrich's for my car as well. Though I dislike my fuel rating which your RAV4 will beat, I do love the size (can easily fit 2 lg dog crates & booster seat in 2nd row) and handling of my vehicle. What I'm trying to say is purchase a vehicle that fits you but be sure it has a great tire on it to help you in that kind of weather.:truck: Good luck w/ your decision and let us know what you choose.

RedSoxFan
03-29-2009, 09:18 PM
DS21 is a junior at Syracuse University --- lots of snow and hills. He has a '07 Nissan Xterra and says it has worked wonderful in the snow. He's never had any problems getting up those hills at SU.

barnaby
03-30-2009, 08:26 AM
We have a '97 Nissan Pathfinder with 160K. It handles great in the snow, rides well in normal conditions, and (knock on wood) hasn't had any major maintenance issues.
The one issue with Nissan SUVs is gas mileage. We only get 16-17 MPG for highway. The 2009 are rated at 14/20.

Ian
03-30-2009, 08:46 AM
If you're looking for something good in the bad weather, don't necessarily restrict yourself to an SUV.

There are plenty of cars these days with all wheel drive and traction control that perform amazingly in the snow.

I've owned four Jeeps .... three Wranglers and a Grand Cherokee (loved them all), but the best performing car in bad weather that I've owned was my BMW 325xi. That thing was a beast in the snow. It just went.

I've driven Wranglers, Pathfinders, Cherokees, Tahoes, Trailblazers, and half a dozen other U.S. and foreign made SUV's in the snow and I'm telling you ... that BMW beat all of them.

Tinkerfreak
03-30-2009, 08:47 AM
I have a GMC Acadia with AWD and 8 passenger seating. It might be bigger than what you are looking for but I love it. I live out in the boondox in Maine and it has been great in the snow and ice. In fact it goes better than my DH's 4x4 heavy duty pickup truck.

diz_girl
03-30-2009, 02:04 PM
but the best performing car in bad weather that I've owned was my BMW 325xi. That thing was a beast in the snow. It just went.

I've driven Wranglers, Pathfinders, Cherokees, Tahoes, Trailblazers, and half a dozen other U.S. and foreign made SUV's in the snow and I'm telling you ... that BMW beat all of them.

I was thinking of getting the 325 xi wagon in a couple of years. Thanks for the info.

Ian
03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
I was thinking of getting the 325 xi wagon in a couple of years. Thanks for the info.As long as you get the xi edition with the traction control, you can't go wrong.

Although in the interest of full disclosure, I had the sedan and not the wagon so I can't say for absolute certain it drives the same.

ChipDale2708
03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
I have a Ford Escape and absolutely love it! This is my second one - it's a 2008, my other one was a 2002. I never would have traded it in for this one except Ford made the interior look and feel like a car instead of a truck. I'm in CT and also deal w/ a great deal of snow. Haven't had a single problem and feel very comfortable in it. I highly recommend the Escape!

titleistboy
04-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Gotta second that...just got my wife an Escape (her mom's on her third now) and it's a pretty nice little vehicle (and the mileage is nothing to sneeze at!)

Plus, as someone coming from a family that's driven nothing but Toyota cars for almost twenty years now...I gotta say that the Ford was a MUCH better car for the price, and the reliability for the last 3-4 years has been a push...not sure about where you are, but the deals are great!

tjstrike
04-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Saturn Vue and Outlook, Ford Escape and Explorer, Chevy Trailblazer, Dodge Durango. We live down south but deal with lots of black ice and my wife's Ford Fusion and my F150 4x4 both handle it well. Most front wheel drive cars will handle the majority of snow and ice you throw at them just because the motor sits on top of the wheels so there's plenty of weight to keep the tires from spinning. Consumer reports is a good place to look before you buy.

Stitchahula
04-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I've lived in Ma. my whole life and have never owned a 4 wheel drive. You just need to learn how to drive correctly in the weather we get. I've seen too many drivers thinking that because they have 4WD they can drive as fast as they want, this is not the case. Front wheel drive handles better in the snow and stuff IMO. As far as Durango's go not all are 4WD in case you are looking at them.

crazypoohbear
04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
You just need good tires. Some weight in the back of the car and nerves of steel. :D
Don't go too slow especially going uphill. Drives me crazy, I could get out and slap people!!!!:mad:
If you go too slow you will get stuck and skid
Don't ride your brakes going down hill, shift into a low gear, even in an automatic.
The biggest thing to driving in the Boston area. DON'T SHOW FEAR!!! :D

Stitchahula
04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
a nice steady speed in the snow when going up the hills is definately key. Also as she crazypoohbear said use your gear shifts. If you really aren't used to driving in snow and ice you could do what my parents did when teaching me how to drive. Go to an empty parking lot and practice steering yourself out of skids. When the snow is really really bad use your flashers so people can see you better. The most important thing really is, is knowing how to drive safely in the icky weather snow, ice, or rain.

c&d
04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I would go with an AWD car/SUV. We have one and it gets us up and down our street and driveway. We are lucky enough to live on a hill and our driveway goes up a hill also. Getting it up the hill and into driveway has never been a problem.

That said, there hasn't been a time when I haven't been able get my 92 240 volvo rear wheel drive car up the street and into my driveway. Sometimes it's more exciting than others and it's always good entertainment for the neighbors especially when I slide down the hill backwards . :D