PDA

View Full Version : Strategies for Large Groups

merlinmagic4
03-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi :mickey:

I was reading the other thread about group leaders feeling responsible for the entire party and was wondering if anyone would have any strategies for going with a large group.

We have 13-18 people who will be moving through the parks together: 2 moms (both the planners), 2 dads, 3 grandmothers, 2 older teens, and 7 younger children (3-13) - oh, and younger married couple, too.

Any thoughts? :D :cool:

Seasonscraps
03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
I helped someone plan a grand gathering. There was a leader in the planning - they were responsible for making the hotel & dining reservations, gathering and distributing information.

They arranged for a couple of group events - a picnic, breakfast at the Crystal Palace one morning (this also provided the opportunity to get a group shot with the photopass photographers) and a fireworks cruise available only to grand gathering groups.

The group split up during the day at the parks but would meet up from dinner at a resaurant chosen basically by majority. Some of the smaller family units didn't want to get together for every single meal.

The grand gathering people were really helpful with the planning and making of reservations. The only thing you will need prior to calling them is everyone's name, address, phone number, ages of children, travel dates and if possible room reservation.

kakn7294
03-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Get together with your group in advance and discuss everyone's expectations and requirements - everything from what time you get up and going in the mornings to whether you will take afternoon breaks to what time you expect to leave the parks at night. Find out when people will expect to eat and what kinds of food, what they expect to do in the way of attractions, what kind of strategy do they expect to have to navigate the parks, if they expect to stay together ALL the time or if they are willing to split up, and who is going to want to take time to shop, see shows, or sit on the benches and people-watch. Make sure they understand the ins and outs of a Disney trip - the FastPass system, the EMH's, etc. It's much easier on everyone involved when you know what the expectations are in advance. I found that the larger the group, the slower moving the group. It's much more difficult to get things done but with a little open communication, advanced planning, and a lot of patience when you are actually there, it can be an enjoyable experience. Good luck!

spoiledraf
03-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Agree to disagree. Allow plenty of time for individual activities. I also would not want all dining together. Not everybody likes the same menus and I'm sure some may like to be at Park A when you are dining in Park B. And being in the same park does not mean 18 people standing in the same line all day. You will run into each other often enough to regroup and maybe all do the same thing. Or not....

Good luck. My group is only nine, 6 adults, three little ones under 5. But it's the little ones first trip so they will get to do most anything they want. Adults, you had your turn!

crazypoohbear
03-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Have everyone give input into the ADR's,
Then I type up a piece of paper about 3in high and the 8 inches long and bold the date then put the park hours for each park then the ADR, the time and the confirmation #.
I also put in the times of the parades and fireworks or fantasmic/illuminations.
I laminate it, and give one to everyone, even the kids. That way you can split up, go where you want and know where and when to meet up.
example
9/25
MK 8-11PM*
AK 9-5PM
Epcot 9-7Pm
DHS 8-8PM
Cry.Pal. 5:50pm
The asterik is to denote which park has EMH. If the asterik is before the opening time, it has early, if it's after the closing time it denotes late hours.
Everyone finds this easy to follow, they can go where they want and know when to meet up.

Dopey's Girl
03-29-2009, 10:15 AM
I planned a trip for 10, and my best advice is to not plan to try to spend every second together. With a group like yours it's going to be just about impossible to try to spend all day every day together without having at least a few people unhappy about the plan. You can't have a group as large, with the age range you have and expect them all to want to do the same things for an entire vacation.

We tried spending the first few days in the parks together, but by the end of the second day, we just decided to do our own things, meet up for a meal (which we had arranged before we got there), then we would gather byt the pool at the end of the night to talk about everything we did. We all ended up having a great time, and I didn't end up stressed out because someone wasn't having fun.

Get everyone's input on ADR's, maybe set up some times to meet for pictures or other fun activities, but don't spend all your time trying to keep everyone happy. That won't be much fun for you!

Good Luck!

Insanity Clause
03-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Since you have a fair amount of adults with you you have the freedom of breaking off into smaller groups and then meeting back up for rezzie and such. Don't feel like you have to make everyone happy because it just will not happen.

merlinmagic4
03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks :) I really like the card idea. Now I'm thinking maybe a general plan for different areas of the parks and then we can all meet every so often. Like:

MK Adventureland 12-1:30
Frontierland 1:30-3
Tomorrowland 3-4:30
Monorail to Contemporary 4:45
Dinner at Chef Mickey's 5:15

This way we can all do whatever we want within one area. I like it..................

I've never had such a schedule but I don't want to be the group standing in the middle of Main Street going, "okay where are we going now..." and getting 18 different responses :D

I think my co-planner (5fromabove) will like it too. It will give us some structure but some freedom as well.

We leave in three weeks so keep the ideas coming!

KayDee
03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Places good for large groups to have fun together are the water parks also mini golf works to.
When making ADR make sure that all your ADR are coming with there own resy number.I mean if you cant book as a group at a restraunt then decide to book 2 or 3 tables instead get a resy number for each table or you will be counted as 1 whole group.This well allow you to be seated faster and you might avoid some 18% tip.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-29-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree with others, don't try to spend every minute together. And don't be resentful if someone wants to split off and doing something else. It makes life better if you go with that expectation. Otherwise you have people standing around waiting for you to do rides that they have no desire to go on. Most of all don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy yourself.