PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Shades of Green

Mrs Bus Driver
03-27-2009, 09:54 PM
This will be the first time that DH will be going with us to the world. He is retired army (E5) can anyone tell me what kinds of discounts we can get? What would it cost to stay at SOG? Have you ever stayed there and did you like it?

mudpuppysmom
03-27-2009, 10:52 PM
You are going to enjoy yourself there. The rooms are some of the largest on Disney property with two queen beds, a sleeper sofa, table w/ 4 chairs, patio or balcony, "old style" TV (no fancy flat screens [yet]), fridge, and safe.

It's right across the street from the POLY, so you can walk over (about 10 minutes) and catch the monorail to MK or TTC then onto anywhere from there!

Rates are dependent on rank, and from what you list I think right now the rate is $91 per night and will go up in October (they do each year).

There is a place to purchase discounted disney, universal and seaworld tickets.

There are a couple restaurants there (buffet, sit down Italian and a quick serve place by the bussis a trade off es [the sports bar recently closed from what I understand]). The Italian place is good, the buffet is OK and the quick place I don't like (but that is my opinion).

There are busses to take you to the TTC and I do believe they go to the parks too, but we've tried to take the bus and it just never works out for us, so we drive. There is also a parking garage (extra $5 per day), and even if you do not park in there they still charge you (so it's a resort fee if you ask me!).

It's not Disney 24/7 but that is a trade off for the price of staying there.

Really, it is a nice place -- alot of people (me included) think military digs=spartan accommodations.....not true here! Granted it's not the Ritz, but it's not Motel 6 either (nothing bad intended there either).

You can go to their website to check out more specifics: http://www.shadesofgreen.org/

Pirate Granny
03-27-2009, 11:23 PM
We stayed there last May...I enjoyed it very much...we always took the bus to the Parks (we didn't have a car...and they didn't charge us the $5 fee either)...we also took the bus home or took it to the MK and then walked to the SOG bus (over by the charter bus area)...they come every 15 minutes to that area...we did walk a few time to the GF, not the Poly...and if the golf cart transportation is there they will drive you to the end of the driveway. Our adult children felt it wasn't Disney enough for them...but for the price, quiet it was great. I didn't like the buffet either, but did enjoy both pools and did partake in the hot tub one night.
:pirate:

wdwfansince75
03-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Don't forget that this year, there are free 5 day tickets for the active or retired service member, and $99 five day tickets for up to 5 guests....Service member's ticket is a park hopper plus...guest tickets can be upgraded to park hopper for $25.

Rooms are larger than other deluxe hotels at WDW. Resort was once the Disney Golf Resort....renamed Disney Inn....than transfered to present role and name.

Since our clan rooms are usually filled with Disney bags, and kids and grandkids in Disney shirts, we never notice that it is not a Disney resort...It's at WDW, and so are we, and that's what counts!

Mrs Bus Driver
03-29-2009, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info. We will most likely keep our reservation at a value resort (we have free dining in Oct and this is just more cost effective) but I always like to know my options. Should we decide to upgrade to say a moderate, I would like to know the costs so I can compare. It looks like 5 nights for $95 a night.
Is SOG more like a moderate or a deluxe?
wdwfansince75 do you know if we can pickup park tickets at someplace like Luke Air Force Base? Or is it only SOG that has the free and discounted tickets?

Mrs Bus Driver
03-29-2009, 10:00 AM
If you stay at SOG can you use ME or do you need to have your own transportation from the airport? :mickey:

wdwfansince75
03-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes you can get the tickets at Military bases....Suggest you call first to the MWR office on base. Beleive that the military sponsor must be present to buy the tickets.

As for ME, they do not serve SoG.

SoG was originally build as a deluxe...it has the largest rooms at WDW.....They are somewhat larger than Contemporary rooms....They have two queens, and a table and chairs.....The bathroom facility is the best layout I have found at WDW....far superior to the value or moderates....and while the buses need replacing, there is a bus to and from the TTC every 20 minutes....The buses to AK and DHS run only once an hour, but several times, I got around that by using the bus to the TTC, and using the Disney buses between TTC and AK and DHS. The short walk to/from the Poly is no real problem.....especially now that Capt Cook sells Dole Whips....makes the walk even more pleasant!

DisneyMiMi
03-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I have stayed at the SoG twice and both times were great. After a full day at the parks, it was nice to come back and relax in a very quiet hotel. I feel you get enough of the Disney atmosphere everywhere else. The staff is very accomodating and pleasant. The buffet always offered enough of a variety for everyone ~ especially the breakfast bar. My granddaughter enjoyed the heated pools and everything was clean and in order. The rooms are spacious ~ you don't feel like you're having to step over suitcases or such. The price is determined by your rank so you will have to check their website for that info. I think you will enjoy your stay there.