PDA

View Full Version : MS Excel help needed, please

Mr. Brass Bonanza
03-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm using Excel to keep track of my checking account. I have one column for deposits, withdrawals, and total. When I put a number in the deposits column, I want it to add that to the total column; and when I put a number in the withdrawals column, I want it to subtract that number from the total column. Is that possible. What's the formula I need to use? I've been tinkering around with it and just can't figure it out.

Thanks!

DizneyRox
03-27-2009, 01:38 PM
You want a seperate total for each transaction?

In my experiance wtih excel, it knows relative locations of cells, so it would make sense that you could take the previous total, add a deposit, subtract a withdrawl and there's your answer. When you copy that formula,, it should take care of the rest.
I've always used @sum(click+click-click) with + and - signs in the appropriate locations and the clicks would be the cells I want. Substitute a click and drag if you need more than one.

But I haven't used Excel is some 10 years in any sort of capacity that would qualify me to answer questions on it's use.

VWL Mom
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Based on a worksheet where
A is payee
B is deposit
c is withdraw
D is total

Row 1 is titles across top
Row 2 is starting balance in column D
Row 3 formula to place in d is =sum(d2+b3-c3)
you can then click on that formula and drag to fill

Mr. Brass Bonanza
03-27-2009, 01:58 PM
It works! Thank you both very much. :thumbsup:

thrillme
04-01-2009, 05:16 PM
FYI if you ever run into a REALLY complex formula...I've had great luck finding it on Mr Excel. You can google it to find the exact website. It's a nifty discussion board just like this one. They've solved some really difficult formulas for me.