PDA

View Full Version : Does it drive you crazy when you hear someone call an attraction by the wrong name?

BriarRose
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Since HM is my favorite attraction, it drives me crazy when someone calls it the "Haunted House". I have never said anything to those people, but a part of me is screaming inside "IT'S THE HAUNTED MANSION!!!":fit: . It's one thing to abbreviate the name (Big Thunder, Small World, Tiki Room), but to out and out call it the wrong thing makes me crazy!!! :bang:

What attractions have you overheard others saying wrong?

GrumpyFan
03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Not so much. But it does drive me nuts when someone refers to WDW as Disneyland, or when they refer to MK as Disneyland. Of course, correcting them only furthers to identify myself as a Disney geek. :mickey: :geek2:

SBETigg
03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I can't think of any that really bother me as far as attractions go. I was told, years ago, that it's not Cinderella's Castle, but Cinderella Castle. So I smile when I see it listed wrong, but it doesn't bother me. I think that one falls into Disney Geek territory, too. It's nothing like calling the Haunted Mansion the Haunted House. That's just silly. :)

My peeve is with getting dining establishment names wrong. Isn't it odd that one doesn't bother me, but the other does? I get a little crazy when I see O'hana instead of 'Ohana (like it's an Irish pub? haha). Or when people say Narcoosse or Narcoosee instead of Narcoossee's. Or similarly, when people add a possessive when there shouldn't be one (Boma's instead of Boma, etc). But I'm understanding, too. Why should everyone know the exact name and spelling for everything? I make mistakes, too. So I just let it go and hope someone cuts me the same slack when I mess up.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
My Disney pet peeve is when people refer to the MK as "Disney", the other parks aren't "Disney" to them :confused:

big blue and hairy
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Nope, although it does make me laugh sometimes.

:sulley:

barbiegirl314
03-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm guilty of doing this myself. We call the TTA the "people mover" My DS who is now 12, started calling it that when he was 3 and the name just stuck for us.

Stich8818
03-27-2009, 12:25 PM
That does drive me nuts...or if someone could less to be at Disney and lets everyone aournd them know it with comments..

My first time on Kilamanjo safari..when we passing the Elephant yards and at the exact moment...One of the elephants come out at the same time our truck passes by..I hear.."well is that not a surprise..who would have thought that would have happend"..in a sarcastic tone..:mad:..

Or better yet.....Someone asks you..." Were is the Shrek ride at?"

Goofeygal
03-27-2009, 12:33 PM
When people talk about DHS and think it is at Universals. Yes I have heard this. But is was before they changed the name, it was still called MGM studios then.

MistressGracey999
03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
LOL...it doesn't make me mad at all to hear people mess up attraction names. But I can tell by the caliber of their mistake whether or not I'm dealing with a "true" Disney fan, or someone who just went there once and liked it.

I am guilty of the "O'hana" blunder mentioned by a PP. :blush: I know the right way to spell it, but my brain wants it to be Irish, I suppose.

Couldn't tell you how many times a friend or family member has asked, "Ya'll driving back down ta that Disneyland this year?" -(We're in the South)...to which I want to reply, "Nooooo, Disneyland is 3,000 miles away from here, HOWEVER, we are indeed driving to Disney World"...but I just let it go.

Here are some of the blunders I have heard over the years:

"Haunted House" for the Haunted Mansion
"Terrible Tower" for Tower of Terror
"Jumbo" for Dumbo
"Carousel of Electricity" LOL..this was my aunt's name for CoP

and MY ALL TIME FAVORITE overheard as we waited for the afternoon parade in Frontierland..."Let's go over to that Crunchy Bears Jamboree after this!"...LOL

chick20679
03-27-2009, 01:04 PM
My Disney pet peeve is when people refer to the MK as "Disney", the other parks aren't "Disney" to them :confused:

lol! Me too!!

When I tell someone I am going to Disney World and they ask if I am going to do just 'Disney World', or if I am going to do the 'one with all the countries' too. Then, having to explain, that Disney WORLD is all four parks, etc., not just Magic Kingdom.

I guess it takes a Disney-geek to know a Disney-geek, huh? :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
03-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I get a little crazy when I see O'hana instead of 'Ohana (like it's an Irish pub? haha).

Me too! I remember seeing a post where someone pointed that out before and since then I always notice when it's wrong. Before that I was oblivious and probably spelled it wrong myself a couple of times.

joonyer
03-27-2009, 01:16 PM
. . . My peeve is with getting dining establishment names wrong. Isn't it odd that one doesn't bother me, but the other does? I get a little crazy when I see O'hana instead of 'Ohana (like it's an Irish pub? haha).

Although I don't lose any sleep over it, people misnaming 'Ohana bugs me too. I bet if you did a search right here on the Intercot boards, you'd find the vast majority of people (many of them experienced WDW guests) refer to the dining establishment at the Polynesian Resort as O'hana's. You know, the Irish pub in the South Pacific. :confused:

Scott C
03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Epcot Kingdom.................

IloveJack
03-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Hehe, my DH calls it "Terror Tower" all the time. I know he's not purposefully doing it, and I've corrected him multiple times, but it's stuck now. Oh well, I just chuckle and move on. :secret:

FantasmicJ
03-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I had a coworker who called the MK "Disney World" all the time...as in, did you go to Disney World or just to EPCOT? AAAHHHHH!!!! My wife and I were annual passholders at the time so we went frequently and though I corrected her a few times she just never understood.

My wife's grandma once said that they went to MGM and went to "that show Fantastic!" of course meaning Fantasmic. That one cracked me up. :mickey:

yourmagicalguide
03-27-2009, 02:08 PM
[...]it does drive me nuts when someone refers to WDW as Disneyland [...]

This is my ultimate pet peeve! A good majority of people around Northern Indiana think Disneyland is the ONLY Disney theme park, and that it's located in Florida :mad:

I make it a point to kindly correct them :mickey:

Other than that, I may slightly wince when I hear a ride/show/restaurant/ect. incorrectly named, but it's nothing to get upset over.

sassafras
03-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I admit, it gets on my nerves when people call the rides or the parks by the wrong name. Kind of bring back the time I was talking to a former cast member at Epcot, while waiting in line, and she said it always got her when people would ask her "what time is the 3 o'clock parade?":D:funny:

Daisy'sMom
03-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm guilty of doing this myself. We call the TTA the "people mover" My DS who is now 12, started calling it that when he was 3 and the name just stuck for us.

We have always called it the people mover, guess it's because it used to be called Wedway People Mover!:mickey:

kakn7294
03-27-2009, 03:20 PM
My mom drove me nuts a couple of weeks ago calling Test Track "Fast Track" all week. I corrected her a time or two then gave up. I think when she figured out it drove me nuts, she did it on purpose. I'm sure I cringed whenever she did it!

Goes4FastPass
03-27-2009, 03:31 PM
The other side of this are Disney fans who are fan-natical about using the exactly correct names, 'Ohana or oHana or o'hana or ohana's or o Hana or oh for Pete's sake.

And the fans who are such frequent flyers that they have slang names for things like "Oh sure, we always have breakfast at Cindy's when we're at the Poly"

Then add the abbreviations: My DFIL wants to know how long it takes to get from CBR to MK for EMH when you have an ADR at CP and will WtP be there?

No, the only time newbies names make me crazy is when I can't figure out what they're saying. When a newbie says "train" I ask "Do you mean the one that's like a roller coaster or the one that goes around the park?

Did I mention my DW? She says her favorite ride at WDW is Spiderman.

dumbo ears
03-27-2009, 03:40 PM
earlier this week in school I heard a girl call frontierland pioneer land, and said a lot of things wrong which really annoyed me lol

dumbo_buddy
03-27-2009, 03:56 PM
My mom drove me nuts a couple of weeks ago calling Test Track "Fast Track" all week. I corrected her a time or two then gave up. I think when she figured out it drove me nuts, she did it on purpose. I'm sure I cringed whenever she did it!

LOL! DH and i were having dinner at San Angel and the couple next to us celebrating their honeymoon kept saying how they still needed to go on Fast Track. Drove me NUTS the whole dinner!

i still call DHS MGM though. i probably always will.

SBETigg
03-27-2009, 04:10 PM
The other side of this are Disney fans who are fan-natical about using the exactly correct names, 'Ohana or oHana or o'hana or ohana's or o Hana or oh for Pete's sake.

It's not the other side. It's the same side, the wrong names driving one crazy. I'm not fanatical, really. :blush: I just like to see things written correctly. It's more that I'm oversensitive to it. 'Ohana, O'hana indeed. So what, right? It bothers me most when it's my own mistake and I notice it when it's too late to edit, or I don't notice at all. I didn't mean to pick on anyone. I was just sharing one of my own peeves. I'll go get lost in the Haunted House, er, Mansion now... I hear they're looking for one more. :D

Stu29573
03-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Of course up until very late in it's development the Haunted Mansion was called the "Ghost House, " "Haunted House," or (as Walt put it on the Disneyland TV show,) "The Haunted Mansion and House of the Supernatural!"
:mickey:

Imagineer1981
03-27-2009, 04:49 PM

My parents do too. It used to be the People Mover so I think thats ok. Its like saying Countdown to Extinction instead of Dinosaur, same thing, different name

I had a coworker who called the MK "Disney World" all the time...as in, did you go to Disney World or just to EPCOT? AAAHHHHH!!!!

I know so many people who call the Magic Kingdom Disney or Disney World and then the other parks by themselves. I think its because of Disneyland. They think since one is Disneyland the one in Orlando must be Disney World

dmosher
03-27-2009, 05:29 PM
This drives DW and I crazy! We tell people we are going to WDw and they say how was DL, or why do you like DL so much! IT"S WDW People.... WDW!
People Mover works my nerves, and DW almost cracked when she had to hear let's go to the Haunted Castle over and over.. grrrr..
(me, no I'm not high strung, why do you ask?)
:pipes:
D

Stu29573
03-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Oops! I messed up the quote. Walt actually called the Haunted Mansion the "House of Illusions or the Haunted Mansion and the Supernatural." I knew I'd blow it if I went just from memory!

beksy
03-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Some things irritate me, especially called WDW Disneyland or vice versa. I'm guilty of calling the attractions by their old names (or the parks for that matter). I'll be correcting myself on DHS for some time and am still not right half the time on TTA! Mostly I just drive my sister crazy (ok, a lot of times its on purpose) and will use an abbreviation or two. :thedolls:

SandyToes
03-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Just to irritate me, my DH insists on asking if we can ride "the Mono".

JRocker
03-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Can't say that I've ever been bothered by anybody mis-naming anything at WDW. I do find it entertaining though.

One of my personal favorites.

Me: I'm taking the family to Disney World this summer.

Them: The one in Florida?

CaptSmee
03-27-2009, 09:42 PM
It doesn't bother me. We actually do it all the time ourselves referring to Spacehip Earth as Mission Spaceship Mountain or TTA as Peoplemover.

We like to do it to be silly! :party:

CaptSmee
03-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Oops! I messed up the quote. Walt actually called the Haunted Mansion the "House of Illusions or the Haunted Mansion and the Supernatural." I knew I'd blow it if I went just from memory!

It was pretty much always referred to as Haunted Mansion, but was at one point going to have The Hall of Illusions and Museum of the Weird incorporated into it before it became an omnimover based attraction.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
03-27-2009, 09:55 PM
I guess you all pass the log flume by when you visit the Magic Kingdom?
:D

DreamFinder2
03-27-2009, 10:45 PM
I had a coworker who called the MK "Disney World" all the time...as in, did you go to Disney World or just to EPCOT? AAAHHHHH!!!! My wife and I were annual passholders at the time so we went frequently and though I corrected her a few times she just never understood.

Agreed. Some friends of ours just returned and said they took the "train" (monorail) from the "modern resort" (Contemporary) to "Disney World" (MK).

Yikes...I had to do some serious tongue-biting. :secret:

teamblackwell
03-28-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm in the camp that's annoyed when people "over name" an attraction. The last time we were at WDW I was walking with my sister and she stoped a cast member and asked , where is the Tiki room. His response was, Magic Kingdom's The Enchanted Tiki Room – Under New Management?
Uhhhhhhh, that's the one.

mrsgaribaldi
03-28-2009, 04:50 AM
No, it doesn't bother me. I can barely remember what DH says, let alone what I might overhear around us:blush:

ryca1dreams
03-28-2009, 10:52 AM
When I'm there with my brother in law, we sometimes make up goofy names to see if anyone in line gets annoyed. It's fun.

However, I still call TTA the people mover and write Epcot as EPCOT.

To WDW and beyond
03-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I once overheard a woman on a resort bus who kept calling Splash Mountain Thunder Falls. Her family kept correcting her but she carried on getting it wrong.
:mad:
Now it's our family joke to call SM Tunder Falls instead!

To WDW and beyond
03-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Sorry I meant we call it Thunder Falls!

brownie
03-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
03-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I am a major Disney Geek and a major offender. We call Magic Kingdom "Mickey Park":mickey:, Epcot, "The Park with the Big golf ball" TTA IS the People Mover, THe Haunted Mansion is "The ride with the silly ghosts" Ellen's Universe of Energy is "The ride with the moving church pews" Journey Into Imagination :figment::figment:is "The Figment Ride." Maelstrom is "The troll boat" Mission SPace is "The Pukinator"... :ack:

Sue me... I am still a lover of all things Disney...

DawsonAR
03-28-2009, 02:25 PM
My DH calls MK Disney World just because he knows it bugs me.

grumpydude
03-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Not so much. But it does drive me nuts when someone refers to WDW as Disneyland, or when they refer to MK as Disneyland. Of course, correcting them only furthers to identify myself as a Disney geek. :mickey: :geek2:

Me too. Disneyland is just not the same and not near as cool:number1::noway:

LovinWDW
03-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Not at all. The first time we took out oldest daughter to WDW shw was a bit over 2 years old. She made up a lot of names for the different attractions, for example, Mickeysphilharmagic was called the Duck Show. I guess she called it this due to Donald being the true star of the show. She is now almost 7 and has been to WDW over 10 times and we still call it the Duck Show. We know the correct name but our adopted name means a little more to us.

tinksmom02
03-29-2009, 10:18 AM
When people talk about DHS and think it is at Universals. Yes I have heard this. But is was before they changed the name, it was still called MGM studios then.

My S-in-law is guilty of this. She was planning their trip and was shocked to discover that MGM is part of Disney, but Universal isn't. Sometimes I think she doesn't believe me.

Although, my DH was not aware that Universal was not part of Disney. He's not really "into" planning, though.

TennesseeTink
03-29-2009, 11:21 AM
This one didn't really drive us crazy. It was probably an honest mistake and has become a running joke for me and DD11. We were taking the MK Railroad from Main Street to Frontierland and as we passed through the Splash Mountain scene with the riverboat and all the characters celebrating, an elderly lady in front of us told her family "Look, it's Pirates of the Caribbean." Cracked us up!! Now everytime we ride Splash Mountain and get to that scene we have to do it "Look it's Pirates of the Caribbean". LOL

stephntampa
03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
My MIL refers to POC as "Pirates of Penzance".. I have to chuckle..:secret:

TheRustyScupper
03-29-2009, 02:42 PM
A rose by any other name . . .

Bethis26fan
03-29-2009, 02:47 PM

the second to last day of our trip last year we let my nephew pick where he wanted to go for that day and he told me disney. It took me a min to figure out what he meant, but hey he was 4 so you know. :) lol that just made me think of that.

IamBelle
03-29-2009, 03:45 PM
LOL my dad calls MK Disney World all the time. We were at our hotel last year and he was like, "Kids, ready to go to Disney World?" I said, "Dad, we have been in Disney World for two days now"

SusieQ
03-29-2009, 04:04 PM
A friend of ours insists on calling MK the Magical Kingdom. After 10 years I've given up trying to correct her!:mickey:

TheVBs
03-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I am a major Disney Geek and a major offender. We call Magic Kingdom "Mickey Park":mickey:, Epcot, "The Park with the Big golf ball" TTA IS the People Mover, THe Haunted Mansion is "The ride with the silly ghosts" Ellen's Universe of Energy is "The ride with the moving church pews" Journey Into Imagination :figment::figment:is "The Figment Ride." Maelstrom is "The troll boat" Mission SPace is "The Pukinator"... :ack:

Sue me... I am still a lover of all things Disney...

Sounds like us! We call Journey into Imagination "the Fig ride". When my oldest was little she called Figment Fig - still does! And now, POTC is the "Capt. Jack ride." ;)

Olivia's Daddy
03-30-2009, 10:14 AM
A while back one woman asked us where to go to see Alumni-Nations. My Mom has this thing where she calls Epcot EBCOT, and my daughter used to call POTC Carrots of the Bean. She's grown out of that now. I actually miss it.

IloveJack
03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
And the fans who are such frequent flyers that they have slang names for things like "Oh sure, we always have breakfast at Cindy's when we're at the Poly"

Then add the abbreviations: My DFIL wants to know how long it takes to get from CBR to MK for EMH when you have an ADR at CP and will WtP be there?

It's boards like I'cot that brings this out in people. :thedolls:

Luv Eeyore
03-30-2009, 11:44 AM
I usually just chuckle a little to myself when I hear wrong names, however, DD gets very iritated by her brother (who has a slight speech impediment) calling EE the "Etti ride". He rarely remembers the actual name of the ride, but loves the Yetti, so that's what he calls it, unfortunately he drops the "Y" sound and drives his sister nuts.

Daddy Mouse
03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Small pataatas!

dtootsie42
03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
The funniest thing I ever heard, we were on the monrail going into Epcot....we were standing and a woman was sitting behind us and as we came around she said to her son, look, look there is Space Mountain...all the while pointing to Spaceship Earth...she told her son it was a roller coaster that was in the dark and went pretty fast....somebody next to her tried to correct her and she said what do you mean of course that is Space Mountain. Gave me a chuckle not only the wrong attraction but the wrong park.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

RockChalkKimball
03-30-2009, 09:06 PM
I was just reading this post to my family and we were cracking up. We were there two weeks ago and my DH kept getting Test Track and Fast Passes messed up. He kept telling me to go get "fast tracks" and then when we got back he was telling everyone his favorite ride was Fast Track. But he is always calling people by the wrong name, so we are used to it.

irish1967
03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Between the two of us, my walking partner and I have been to WDW well over 50 times (we are both in our 40's and started going with our families almost yearly as small children)

Anyway, we were checking in to the resort for our marathon trip a couple of years ago and a woman in line behind us assumed we were first timers. She was REALLY nice and it was obvious that her intentions were good (and, really, isn't that what it is all about?)

But, one thing she told us that we couldn't miss "Soaring" and proceeded to spell it "S" - "O" - "A" - "R" - "I" - "N" - "G"

To this day, we don't refer to the ride as "Soarin' " we call it "Soarin-gah"

Even my children and DH who weren't along on that trip do refer to the ride that way.

I guess I don't see it as irritating when someone does it - I assume they either don't know or, it is an inside reference that to a good memory of some sort.

ojeilatan
03-31-2009, 02:41 PM
My absolute favorite:
I live much closer to California and have been to DL quite a bit. Last trip, my boyfriend and I were heading into line for Indy, as the wait was only 10 min (!). A family, who later told us they were from Florida, was standing looking at the sign, and excited 'because the show starts in 10 minutes!' They got in line behind us, and about half way down into the queue area, the mom said 'Wow, the waiting area here is ten times neater than the one back home at MGM.' I started to giggle, but decided not to say anything - how surprised they where going to be! When we got close enough to hear the jeeps, the son was telling his mom he hoped the show hadn't started without us because he could hear the jeeps. When we got to the loading dock, the family was just dead silent. I turned and laughed, and offered them the space ahead of us so they could ride in the front seat for their first ride. They got off afterwards telling us they'd just seen 'Indiana Jones' on the map, and assumed it was like WDW 'back at home'. They absolutely adored the ride, and we all got back in line together.

It didn't drive me crazy or anything, but the shock on their faces at the loading dock was priceless.:mickey:

Diz-Knee
03-31-2009, 09:01 PM
My DS is 3 and has been going to WDW since he was a baby. We have adopted several of his ride abbreviations and I will let you decipher:

The Spitting Camel Ride
Carnotaur Ride
The Yeti Ride
Figment Ride
Donald Duck Ride
Epcot Ball Ride
Crunchy Bears

The rest of the rides he does a pretty good job with! AND he knows the difference between all 4 parks...we're such proud parents. :mickey:

He also eats with "pork-chops" aka chop-sticks at Japan.

Daddy Mouse
03-31-2009, 09:57 PM
We all have pet peeves! some of mine are:

People that are too lazy to put shopping carts in a cart coral.

People that angle park taking up 2 spaces for their car doesn't get scratched.

Flash Photogaphy where there is to be none.

Stroller mowers, people that feel it is there duty to run over as many guests as possible. (I think it is a sport and they really keep score)

People with no sense of humor

Venus0880
04-01-2009, 09:14 AM
I too visited dozens of times as a child among a family of four kids. We had our own names for several of the rides including the "big ball" which I still use to this day. We also refer to all the rides in World Showcase as whatever country in which they are located. I still call the TTA "the people movers."

rubato
04-01-2009, 01:22 PM
My husband cannot stop getting Disneyland and Disneyworld mixed up. We've never been to Disneyland and he swears that DW, which we've been to 3 times, is his favorite place in the world. If it's his favorite place, you'd think he'd remember the name! :confused:

Mousemates
04-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Does it drive you crazy when you hear someone call an attraction by the wrong name?

short answer...nope, it doesn't bother me or drive me crazy at all... Whether another guest at the Majikal Kingdom, EbCot or Disneyland Studios gets the jargon right is of little consequence to me...I don't take such mistatements personally and honestly don't pay that much attention to the mispoken statements of those who are not fully indoctrinated into the WDW subculture ( which I obviously am happy to be a part of).

In time, If they learn to love Disney, I figure they will either eventually get it right or at least know they are saying it wrong and thus just trying to tweak folks who's buttons they have learned how to push. I've actually been known to get on my very DD's last nerve by intentionally calling things at WDW by "non-standard" labels.

tiggerbuddy
04-20-2009, 08:34 PM
I couldnt agree more with this one !!!

My Disney pet peeve is when people refer to the MK as "Disney", the other parks aren't "Disney" to them

I have heard countless parents say.. "Tomorrow are we going to Disney or Epcot ???? HUH ?????:confused:

Mickey91
04-22-2009, 12:08 AM
No, but I hate for people to call Disney World, Disneyland!! "Are you all going back down to Disneyland":mad: Not that I wouldn't love to go to Disneyland, but they are not the same place!!

Babyvett
04-24-2009, 08:03 AM
I admit we call ToT the "Scary Elevator" because that's what my daughter called it the first time she rode it at 4 years old. She's ten now, and its still "the Scary Elevator".. LOL

And I still call TTA the people mover. Oh well.. I promise when I take my DH in Sept, I will teach him properly, except for ToT, which will always be the scary elevator in this family.. LOL

morebroccoli
04-24-2009, 08:08 AM
We all have pet peeves! some of mine are:

People that are too lazy to put shopping carts in a cart coral.

Flash Photogaphy where there is to be none.

i couldnt agree with you more!!!

DVC2004
04-24-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm chuckling- I remember one trip we were walking to the entrance of Epcot, just having gotten off the bus or some transportation listening to a self proclaimed Disney Expert tell the person next to her everything and anything about WDW, some of it wrong but hey, she wasn't talking to me so I'm not saying anything. Then she proclaime:d: "Oh it's the Golf Ball! I love the Golf Ball! It's my favorite ride!"

Another one I hear alot is SSR being called Sarasota.

MNNHFLTX
04-24-2009, 08:52 AM
No, it doesn't bother me--you can put me in the "entertained" category with some other people that have posted here. :D

Sweetpea29488
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
lol! Me too!!

When I tell someone I am going to Disney World and they ask if I am going to do just 'Disney World', or if I am going to do the 'one with all the countries' too. Then, having to explain, that Disney WORLD is all four parks, etc., not just Magic Kingdom.

I guess it takes a Disney-geek to know a Disney-geek, huh? :thumbsup:

Yep! My biggest pet peeve!!! I'm like: MK is part of Disneyworld along with the other parks.

mermaidmarian
04-25-2009, 10:05 PM

Isn't that what the TTA is, though? The Wedway People Mover?

mermaidmarian
04-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I too visited dozens of times as a child among a family of four kids. We had our own names for several of the rides including the "big ball" which I still use to this day. We also refer to all the rides in World Showcase as whatever country in which they are located. I still call the TTA "the people movers."

Regarding the OP's question, and being annoyed by people calling things by their wrong names. This probably doesn't explain the gaffe of calling the Haunted Mansion the Haunted House, but as the poster above describes, our family has developed many of our own names for beloved attractions, adopting the way our children referred to them when young. For example, we stay at POR all the time, but in our family, we say we are staying "at the wheel", because my nephew used to talk about the wheel year 'round. For the same reason, Epcot is known as "Mickey's Ball" (do I need to pass smelling salts?) and when planning a day at DS, we say we are going to "the Hat" (okay...now I know I have to pass the smelling salts).

Of COURSE, we know the real names for all of these places. If we didn't know and love them, we wouldn't have even bothered with giving them nicknames. So, in some instances, what may seem like annoying ignorance to you, might actually be someone's term of endearment.

RAIDER
04-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Not at all .. Its easily done especially if its your first time in the park
The only thing that annoys in are queue jumpers

poeticeclipse
04-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Most of my pet peeves have already been mentioned but they bear repeating.

The whole "Fast Track" thing drives me nuts. My mom says that and I constantly have to correct her. Since she loves the attraction so much I get to hear "Fast Track" all the time. haha!

Also, when people say they are going to "Disney World" on Monday and Epcot on Tuesday. Grrr.... I feel like this is just poor education.

One that I didn't see anyone mention is when people say "So, you're going to all of the Disney parks then? Even Universal Studios?" I just wanna scream. haha. I'm not a Universal fan to begin with so when people try to associate it with Disney I feel like jumping out of my skin.

hokies4life
04-27-2009, 12:26 PM
My DH calls MK Disney World just because he knows it bugs me.

My Fiance does this ALL the time. Even in normal everyday things. :shake: The one I remember off the top of my head from the beginning of the month was when we were at Epcot and he said he wanted to go ride "Mission Spaceship Earth". And he would say that for both rides. So I told him I wouldn't go on either until he said the name right. :secret: That helped a little.

:chipdale:

Jenemmy
04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
I was in Epcot just last week, and listened to a woman who, while pointing at Donald Duck, kept telling her daughter to "Go hug Daffy" LOL! The poor kid probably had no idea who she was suppose to go hug!

My hubby also told me that his Mom always referred to Gepetto from Pinocchio as "Gestapo" and she never realized she was saying it wrong......

JRocker
04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
My daughter challenged me to some stupid IQ test on facebook, so i finally broke down and did it.

Question #6:
What Florida city is Disneyland located in?

Hmm, says more about the IQ of the test builder than the taker if you ask me.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
04-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Not really on the rides, but I do dislike it when people think they know everything about disney when clearly they don't..
If they did know for certain, I would not mind but to say that Star Tours came before the original Star Wars movies ( I have actually heard a man tell this to his companions...cringeworthy :D )

FriendsofMickey
04-28-2009, 02:30 PM
No, doesn't bother me at all. I would get more entertainment from it then anything else. As for mispelling names, well since I have never been to 'ohanas I am not guilty (as of yet); however, it would not bother me half as much as when my coworker says "you was ..."

My DS is 3 and has been going to WDW since he was a baby. We have adopted several of his ride abbreviations and I will let you decipher:

The Spitting Camel Ride
Carnotaur Ride
The Yeti Ride
Figment Ride
Donald Duck Ride
Epcot Ball Ride
Crunchy Bears

The rest of the rides he does a pretty good job with! AND he knows the difference between all 4 parks...we're such proud parents. :mickey:

He also eats with "pork-chops" aka chop-sticks at Japan.

These are great! If you scrap book, you should have these are your captions!

I cannot think of anything right now, but I am going to pay attention our next trip to see if we call anything by the wrong name... though I cannot think of any that we do.

MaxPower
04-29-2009, 07:10 PM
The Golf Ball at EPCOT

tiggerbuddy
06-01-2009, 10:49 PM
however, it would not bother me half as much as when my coworker says "you was ..."

Ooooh... I like this one!!!
My Co-worker always says
I "SEEN" that movie......Grrrrrr:mad:

estein80
06-02-2009, 02:58 PM

I spent 20 minutes trying to explain this to my sister in law only to be left completely frustrated.

SharkBait
06-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Our family likes to ride “The Runaway Train”

Lakin
06-02-2009, 03:43 PM
My dad always talks about the 'Wild Kingdom'.

Grrr.... makes me bite my tongue every time.

Becky2005
06-07-2009, 12:25 AM
I don't get that bothered but I'm not that die hard of a fan either. My DH would say differently. Of course, it took me forever to get Disneyland & Disney World correct in my head.

My kids are forever mixing names up or coming up with some totally different version of it. Sometimes they just stick and that ends up being the name the attraction, etc... is called. My DH kept calling the Contemporary "the garage" last time. So, now basically we call it the garage.

LudwigVonDrake
06-07-2009, 11:09 AM
No, because I will ALWAYS refer to DHS as MGM :D

delphinidae308
06-08-2009, 01:15 AM
I cringe when I hear/read the Mt. Everest ride. Then there is The Railroad. Which railroad? Also, we were in line to get a photo taken by a photopass photographer and once someone asked us if we were in line for fastpass. :confused: I didn't know how to answer at first.

TikiGoddess
06-08-2009, 08:11 AM

I started going to WDW in the 1970's. TTA will ALWAYS be the People Mover to us, for nostalgic reasons. And the whole "Disney = MK" thing? That comes from people who visited pre-Epcot. My family called the MK "Disney" for years because that's all there was at Disney World.

We too make up names for the rides based on our kids. The only ones I can think of are "Goofy's Plane"... the "Donald and the Hat movie"... nerd that I am, I'm trying to teach my kids the correct names of the rides. We'll see how well that goes in 59 days... :mickey:

Kathy

Disney Crazy
06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I didn't think this bothered me either. Until last Saturday when I watched a repeat of the What you get for the money Walt Disney World episode on FLN. One of the host families had 3 boys and when asked what they wanted to ride, the middle son said he "couldn't wait to ride Mount Everest". I immediately corrected him... like he could hear me talking to the television! ;) That's when I realized maybe it does bother me a little bit! :blush:

coneygoil
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM

Well, that's close. It use to be called the Wedway People Mover.

coneygoil
07-30-2009, 04:40 PM
No, because I will ALWAYS refer to DHS as MGM :D

Same here! It ***** they keep changing it. Just like Riverside will always be Dixie Landings.

Fantasmic
07-30-2009, 04:42 PM
It annoys me greatly. It's ignorant

jnfr2424
07-30-2009, 05:00 PM
It makes me :mad: when people call Disney World - Disneyland!!!

Hair_Razor
07-30-2009, 06:05 PM
My dad always talks about the 'Wild Kingdom'

HaHa Wild Kingdom, :rotfl: That has been my favourite!!

So to OP,.. I am not one to really get angry about it, but I am "that" person who finds it to be my life's personal mission to tell people what it really is and correct them. Yeah I know.... :blush:

Septbride2002
07-30-2009, 06:10 PM
My mother while on a Disney vacation called me after dinner at Le Celliers to let me know how much she loved the meal at "Le Cellars!" I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. Now we always call Le Cellier "The Basement" at our house after that.

NJGIRL
07-31-2009, 12:19 PM
I've heard attractions called by the wrong name but it doesn't bother me in the least.

If fact I always say "Small World" and "the boat ride in Norway";)

CaptSmee
08-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I do it on purpose, so don't get too angry with me! Look! There's Spaceship Mountain! or let's go on Mission Space Mountain! or Let's Buzz Woody & his friend's! just part of the fun of being at WDW!

Daisy'sMom
08-01-2009, 09:28 PM

We also call it the people mover or sometimes wedway. :mickey:

LilRonGal
08-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Not really. I like people to be accurate, but what can you do?

Belster
08-01-2009, 10:58 PM
lol...Barbiegirl we also call TTA the "People Mover" hahaha...

LoriMistress
08-02-2009, 08:21 PM
That annoys me too. I get annoyed when people refer to SSE as the "big golf ball."

CaptSmee
08-02-2009, 08:37 PM
lol...Barbiegirl we also call TTA the "People Mover" hahaha...

wait, what? it's not the poeplemover???

5togetherWDW
08-03-2009, 08:39 AM
While it does sometimes frustrate me when people ask if we are going back to Disneyland again -- when they keep getting WDW postcards -- that is really more about wanting them to pay attention. If it isn't someone I've known and spoken with for years -- it doesn't bother me. I enjoy hearing other peoples names for attractions and find many very funny.

I tend to err on the names that have changed over the years and have accidentally passed some of that on to my family. While one of my children corrects me on the majority of it :blush: -- the other recently decided to take it to the other extreme and use every "old" name he could. A couple of the cast members in Innoventions quickly began recognizing us as the Commuincore family . . . . .

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Actually, this one ISN'T incorrect. Before the Tomorrowland overhaul in the early 90s, this attraction was called the WEDWay People Mover.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
That annoys me too. I get annoyed when people refer to SSE as the "big golf ball."

DD and I laughed a long time when we were riding Living with the Land and as we were going through the little greenhouse area outside two ladies were declaring that we were riding at the "top of that big Epcot ball that you see when you first come in".....We didn't tell them. It was too funny just to leave it alone and giggle.;)

Giggy
08-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Guilty of using the "giant golfball" name from time to time. We knew it was really Spaceship Earth all along but I think it was my Dad who when we first went there exclaimed "look at that giant golfball!" It sort of stuck after that. That said the first time we went (I was 8) I thought Spaceship Earth was a real spaceship and you coule only go on the ride when it was back between missions. :blush:

Epcot is occasionally referred to as Ecpot. No idea how that started as it only came about on our last visit when the youngest person in the group was my 11 year old sister. Everyone knew the real name so not sure how that started. In a similar way the Enchanted Tiki Room has from time been "The Tiki Tiki Birds".

We're not too precise about names, particularly when referring to something quickly but then I guess it's pretty normal to shorten the name. For example Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is often just Thunder Mountain, Walt Disney World Railroad often just becomes The Train. The Safari Ride is a lot easier to say (or spell for definite) than Kilamanjaro Safari.

jonasbrotherslvr15
08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
i heard one lady call splash mountain the log floom. she was like " do you guys want to go on the log floom?" i wanted to correct her so much, but i felt stupid correcting her!!:blush:

KAJUNKING
08-03-2009, 02:18 PM
No, it doesn't bother me--you can put me in the "entertained" category with some other people that have posted here. :D

i feel the same way more amused than angry :mickey:

drummerboy
08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I probably know the 'correct' names for just about all the attractions, but we often use our own shortened versions. We just about always refer to the people mover, for instance, since that's what it was when we first started going. Heck, I'm on vacation--if everybody else in my group knows what I'm talking about, who cares?

I get more irked by what someone else pointed out earlier--people who very loudly want to proclaim all they know about WDW (but don't, really). Sometimes I can see from the looks on their faces that the recipients of the erroneous information are a bit dubious themselves.

tinklover
08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
That does drive me nuts...or if someone could less to be at Disney and lets everyone aournd them know it with comments..

My first time on Kilamanjo safari..when we passing the Elephant yards and at the exact moment...One of the elephants come out at the same time our truck passes by..I hear.."well is that not a surprise..who would have thought that would have happend"..in a sarcastic tone..:mad:..

Or better yet.....Someone asks you..." Were is the Shrek ride at?"
LOL this actually happened to Us in June of 07.
a family was next to us as we were leaving the playhouse disney show. The father turns and asks me excuse me, do you know how i can get to the shrek ride or to the Dr. Suess area? I, being a Disney Geek, said oh sir I am sorry you should have checked all that before you got here. It is all closed for refurbs. Meanwhile my 2 DDs and my DBF are laughing hysterically. the man gets really angry and says that's it we are leaving and going to universal. I can;t believe Disney would have all that closed with this many people here. I then turned to him as I could not take it anymore and said "Sir, you will find those places you were looking for at Universal. This is Disney and it is all Disney related. Have a great day." we just walked away and continued laughing.

clou1028
08-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Funny thread!

I was a travel agent about 8-9 years ago, and I have to tell you, there are many, many people who think the following:

Universal Studios is part of Disney World
MK is Disney World
DHS is Universal Studios

And slightly off topic, but just as funny, I can tell you from my years at working at The Disney Store... a frighteningly large amount of people think Tweety Bird and Daffy Duck are Disney Characters. ;)

sdewan
08-03-2009, 05:46 PM
It really bugs me when someone refers to Spaceship Earth as "the big golf ball". I mean, the attraction is 28 years old. It is a marval of engineering. It is iconic not just of EPCOT, but of WDW. It has always been called Spaceship Earth.

So why can't people learn the name? :unsure:

(I actually made my wife learn the term "geodesic sphere" 20 years ago as a condition for us getting married.)

drummerboy
08-03-2009, 10:45 PM
a family was next to us as we were leaving the playhouse disney show. The father turns and asks me excuse me, do you know how i can get to the shrek ride or to the Dr. Suess area? I, being a Disney Geek, said oh sir I am sorry you should have checked all that before you got here. It is all closed for refurbs. Meanwhile my 2 DDs and my DBF are laughing hysterically. the man gets really angry and says that's it we are leaving and going to universal. I can;t believe Disney would have all that closed with this many people here. I then turned to him as I could not take it anymore and said "Sir, you will find those places you were looking for at Universal. This is Disney and it is all Disney related. Have a great day." we just walked away and continued laughing.
What an opportunity that would have been to show some empathy and understanding to someone who was unfamiliar with his surroundings and asking for assistance.

Christine
08-03-2009, 11:38 PM

Ouch. :( :confused:

I consider myself to be a huge Disney geek (just recently moved across the country to be closer to my happy place!), but I hope I never become so self-righteous or judgemental that I am cruel to another person who maybe isn't as blessed as I foolishly think that I am in regards to Disney knowledge.

People can call Whispering Canyon "Cracker Barrel" for all I care. It's no skin off my nose.

JabberJaws
08-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Yes....yes it does.

The one I hear the most is people saying "Fast Track" when referring to Test Track. That one makes my skin crawl!

Phantod
08-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Ouch. :( :confused:

I consider myself to be a huge Disney geek (just recently moved across the country to be closer to my happy place!), but I hope I never become so self-righteous or judgemental that I am cruel to another person who maybe isn't as blessed as I foolishly think that I am in regards to Disney knowledge.

Oh please. Tinklover....I loved it. People who don't know where they are and don't know what's available need to get their act together. I just wish I'd been there and clever enough to come up with that.

prprincess
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
OMG, yes. Just today I was listening to Gayle King on XM Radio and she referred to WDW as Disneyland. Thankfully, she was speaking to Tyler Perry and he corrected her.:thumbsup:

drummerboy
08-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Oh please. Tinklover....I loved it. People who don't know where they are and don't know what's available need to get their act together. I just wish I'd been there and clever enough to come up with that.

Sorry, but it's one thing to be quietly amused by others' ignorance, and quite another to purposely try to humiliate a man in front of his family. I didn't see that as very Disney-like at all.

Mickey'sGirl
08-04-2009, 12:03 PM
...Actually, I would have been more horrified if my children laughed at another person in that fashion. I can handle the usual park mix-ups, but I could not stand such disrespect. Just my opinion. I agree that this would have been a good opportunity to explain the differences between Universal and Disney, and see if I could be of real help to this guy.

offwego
08-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Its funny in December of 07 I had an elderly couple stop me on the path towards tommorowland by the noodle land terrace. They asked me if there was anything to do "here" turned out the meant all of MK as they hadn't done any research. They had grabbed a map so I took a couple of minurltes talked about the lands, where shows were etc. (Maybe five) I've always hoped they enjoyed their day because I took that time. That to me seems like a great way to share the feeling we all get walking in our favorite place.
I don't think everyone will do the research we might here. That ok I know when I was little my parents didn't research it we just went.

Aggie97
08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
No, it doesn't. Sure, I might cringe a little inside when I hear -- or read -- something really egregious, but it does not actually bother me.

I understand that not everyone views WDW as a hobby or as a topic that requires expert knowledge and precision accuracy. And in my opinion,that's okay! While it certainly is beneficial (and actually, pretty necessary) for guests to have an overall accurate understanding of how WDW works, not knowing the exact names of attractions and the like doesn't really hamper their ability to have a fun vacation.

I know that there are other topics out there about which I am not fully knowledgeable or that I may find confusing. I can only hope that others who do know more than me would be gracious and understanding --- and maybe even helpful -- in those situations. :thumbsup:

Phantod
08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree whole heartedly with offwego. I do not expect anyone in the parks to be an expert and I'm more than willing to help anyone in anyway I can around the parks (especially DL)

However, I don't go to LA expecting to see the Golden Gate Bridge. And I don't go to Las Vegas expecting to go to the Smithsonian.

And I certainly don't spend whatever a Disney daily ticket for every member of my family costs while thinking I am really going somewhere else and will see certain other rides.

It begs the question, how did this person even know about these attractions and not know where they were? Did someone mention them but failed to tell him which park they were at? Did he just not pay attention?

I'm sorry. I have little "patience" for someone like that.

But as I mentioned, I'm not as clever as Tinklover and would probably have just set him straight. But me and the kids would probably have cracked up later, out of sight.

Some people are just clueless.:D

Jodi
08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
It does bug me too, although, I have to admit, I still refer to TTA as the "people mover" too...sorry...

joonyer
08-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, I know it's not an "attraction" per se, but don't you just love going to that Irish pub/restaurant in the Polynesian Resort, you know, O'hana's.

:D

I guess 'Ohana is just too easy to misspell and mispronounce.