PDA

View Full Version : DisneyorBust's March Getaway Day 3...off to the Medical Clinic!

DisneyorBust
03-27-2009, 07:32 AM
DD #2 helath was worsening overnight into Day 3. Fever and restlessness, just feeling miserable at this point. Upon awakening, we called the medical clinic number provided by WDW on the resort information sheet.
Things started out pretty well, the clinic opens at 8 am,DW spoke with the clinic staff who infromed us that they provide a free shuttle and will pick us up at El Centro at
The driver was on time and very pleasant. We made one other stop (at Pop Century) for another ill family, then we were off to the clinic. Just an FYI, there a a couple of the clinics near WDW and a dispatcher directs them to less busy one.
We arrived les than 15 min. later at the clinic, you check in at the desk, provide your insurance card and then you register on a computerized system. As I was attempting to register, (my computer had shut down and they had to get a staff member to get it functioning again) more folks kept coming in.
So the wait began, about two and half hrs till we were seen. The staff, from check in to RN's to the Physician were all professional and friendly.
Once the assessment began, treatment was rapid. DD's temp was 101 even with Motrin. With a diagnosis of Bilateral ear infections and strep throat, my DD was given antibiotics in the treatment room. I was given a prescription for an oral antibiotic. Connected to the clinic, but not affiliated with it, was a private pharmacy. I was able to get her prescription filled in short order. The only downside, the pharmacy does not accept insurance,only cash or credit etc.
With our DD now treated and ready to go, all I had to do was request the shuttle van by stopping at the front desk and requesting a return trip to our resort.
The van returned quickly, we shared the return with the same family, and we were back at CSR around 12:30.
Any questions regarding this clinic, pm me and I will help in any way that I can.

SBETigg
03-27-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm so sorry your DD was sick in the middle of vacation! No one wants to gain expertise on health clinics servicing WDW by actual experience. But your report is very helpful for people who might need those services. Thanks for the information. Also, glad you sought treatment instead of trying to soldier on through vacation with her feeling miserable.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm so sorry she was so sick! I'm glad to hear that the clinic experience was fairly easy, hopefully we'll never need it, but good to know that it is there.

yourmagicalguide
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience with the clinic. That's always been one of those worries in the back of my mind when I'm at WDW about what to do if someone gets too sick to go to the parks. Really helpful, thanks again :D

faline
03-27-2009, 01:16 PM
From someone who also needed to have a daughter treated for ear infections in the middle of a Disney trip, I can certainly empathize! Not a fun way to spend a vacation day!

tinktude
03-28-2009, 04:41 PM
We have used that same service while on vacation there too!! My DS had a severe sinus infection and my daughter had strep during a vacation one year. It has become the running joke with our family....who will need the urgent care center this time :blush:

PrettyMinnie
03-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for that. Hopefully we will never need it, but it is good to be informed! So sorry your DD was ill. :(

vizsla
03-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
03-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Sorry about DD#2.

sleepingbooty
04-02-2009, 06:03 PM
What a bummer for you guys. I'm glad to know that its that easy to get medical care, though.:mickey:

garthbarth1
04-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the clinic info! Last trip DH started to come down with strep. We had no idea where to go to get treated, what to do...we had no car bc we were staying on property with ME. Luckily DH brother in law is an Opthamologist (not the right doc, but can call in a script like any other) and we got meds sent to our room. Now we will know what to do!!

tinksmom02
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear that your daughter got sick, but I'm glad that you were able to get her seen and treated relatively easy.

Our daughter came down with a severe case of bronchitis on a trip. (Even though we'd had her checked out by her pediatrician AND her allergist right before we left!) We had a car, so didn't need the shuttle, but we, too, had a positive experience at the Urgent Care Center. Not an inexpensive experience, but what can you do, right?

Anyway, glad you were able to get meds for her quickly.