PDA

View Full Version : Which Moderate?

PrincessKaitsMom
03-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Just wondering everyone's opinion on which moderate is the best. Of the moderates, we have only stayed at the CBR. We really liked it, so much so that my husband really wants to stay there again. I, however, would like to try another moderate that we can hopefully enjoy as much or more. Bus service, walking distance to food court/bus stop, and, of course, overall room and resort quality are all high on our list. Any suggestions?

CanadianWDWFan
03-27-2009, 07:52 AM
You are going to get a real difference of opinions here. For us it is POFQ hands down. We have tried all the moderates but just feel that POFQ is our "home".

What we like about it the most is the size of the resort. It is nice and small compared to the other mods. You can walk to anywhere on property in under 5 minutes. The boat to DTD is a nice touch as well. Being a sister resort you can use any of the amenities at POR as well. While the lack of an on site TS restaurant is a minus for some, or us it really didn't impact us that much since we tend to eat away from the resort. The resort theming is to our liking as well.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with any of the mods. You really can't go wrong at any of them, just for us it is POFQ.

Oh and of course the Beignets are a BIG added plus!

sassafras
03-27-2009, 08:07 AM
We love POR! It has a very laid back atmosphere, several pools (quiet pools and 1 large one), a fairly large food court, Boatrights for a table service restaurant, a lounge with entertainment (piano player), very nice gift shop. Add to that, carriage rides around the resort can be arranged, and boat transportation to Downtown Disney. There are two different type of accomodations. Alligator Bayou which is more backwoodsy and Magnolia Bend with antebellum mansion style buildings. DH and I prefer the Bayou, but both are very nice. All in all, when we stay in a moderate, it's POR!

Hull-onian
03-27-2009, 08:08 AM
POFQ is the best moderate. For a bunch of reasons. All of which is listed in the previous post. Good luck on your decision.

buzz2001
03-27-2009, 09:05 AM
CSR is my family favorite! I don’t know if it will work for you but pick which resort theme you like best and which resort amenities meet your family's needs. Also, check out my CSR website below for updated info and pics.

Here is just some quick info on CSR.

CSR has newly renovated rooms (about half done as of 3/2009) and queen beds (only mod to offer them).

A terrific main pool area that includes a 123 ft slide (2nd largest at WDW), kiddie pool, arcade, playground, sand volleyball court, hot tub (largest on WDW property), a bar, and snack bar (very good food for CS).

Reliable transportation that is not shared with other resorts, 4 resort stops and quick rides to all the parks. CSR has the closest bus stops to the park entrances too (first stop at DHS and MK)!

Other amenities you may be looking for in a resort.
Only moderate to offer suites.

A spa, salon, tanning beds, a lap pool and fitness center (free to its guests).

Full menu room service, expensive though.

Central air, flat panel TV’s and WiFi available.

Rix Lounge – a dance club voted most trendy bar in Orlando.

A business center with computer access.

KatMark
03-27-2009, 09:58 AM
CSR is the only one we will stay at (well, maybe POFQ one day down the road).

We've stayed 7 times and number 8 is booked (it was always our kids favorite resort). We refuse to stay at values and the only deluxe we have an interest in is the AKL--and that won't happen for a few years at least. I even passed on the Polynesian this past September for our 25th wedding anniversary because the CSR is just "home" to us and we are very happy, content there.

Yes, the CSR is very large but it is also very peaceful and serene. There are queen beds, the three quiet pools besides the main pool with the great slide, the kiddie pool, the sand volleyball court, playground and arcade...all by the main pool. They have the Rix Cafe--a new take and go food place which is very good. We like that there is a fitness center/spa and the largest hot tub on property.

4ubie1
03-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I have to throw in another vote for POFQ. Granted, I have yet to stay here but I have visited and stayed at it's sister resort. It is my choice for the next resort to stay at next visit...even over the Deluxe resorts. You will be the first to be picked up on the bus (the sister resorts share a bus line), the resort covers less ground so everything is within a short walking distance, and have heard that it is a peaceful place and seen this to be true in person. I know that it lacks an actual sit down restaurant but previously stated..my fam and I tend to eat in the parks so this is not an issue for myself. The only things I can not tell ya about is room quality/service. But most have said it to be excellent. :thumbsup:

Tez
03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Hands down Port Orleans Resorts. I have not stay at the French Quarter yet but will this December. We have stayed at the CB. It was ok but we feel that PO-Riverside was much better. The food court is great and the best is the boat ride that will take you to DTD so you get a break from riding the bus all the time.

mom2morgan
03-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I've only ever stayed at POR and loved it, but I've been considering trying CBR. My husband likes POR so much he's afraid to try it...sound familiar? LOL

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-27-2009, 10:57 PM
We have stayed at all the Mods except for POFQ (our daughter thinks the color scheme of the buildings is hideous) and by far prefer either POR or CSR.

Love the grounds at POR and the food court is very good.

We really enjoyed the SouthWest theming at CSR and the water slide there is the only one my daughter has ever been able to get me on. :D

CBR...did it once, will never willingly stay there again.:ack:

kathiep
03-28-2009, 09:41 AM
We have stayed at all the moderates and quite honestly, it really depends on what kind of atmosphere you prefer. We did enjoy the laid back beach feel of CBR. We also enjoyed POR. It was lazy and relaxed, although we weren't big fans of the decor of a mansion room. POFQ, although small and quaint, just wasn't our style. But I think we found our favorite in CSR. The grounds were beautiful, the pool fantastic and we think the food court is better than that of the other mods. That being said, take a look at pictures of all of them, and choosed which feels right for you. You honestly can't go wrong with any of them.

Guya103
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
We agree with your husband. As far as the moderates go, CBR can't be beat. We stayed there last year on part of our trip and are staying there for 11 days again this August. We have stayed at all the other mods ( & deluxes) before (POR 5 times) and feel that they lack the lively atmosphere that CBR has. Don't get me wrong, they are all lovely resorts with individual atmospheres, but CBR is our favorite.:mickey:

Seasonscraps
03-30-2009, 09:17 PM
My ranking for the mods are:
POR
POFQ
CS
CBR

I like the extra services that POR offers over POFQ but it's a very close second. I actually haven't stayed at CS yet (although I really want to after reading Buzz2001's post), but I just really disliked CBR.

brownie
03-30-2009, 09:39 PM
We've stayed at both Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside. I like them both and they have some great landscaping.

We've eaten at Caribbean Beach Resort once and have never been to Coronado Springs.

castlelady36
03-31-2009, 10:03 AM
It really depends on what you like but we find POFQ to be the best. Though we have not stayed at POR or CB we have gone there to check it out and CBR is quite large as well as CS. CS is VERY spread out but has a great pool!! I think they are all have great things about them and you just have to decide which one fits you best :mickey:

NanaMouse
03-31-2009, 12:35 PM
We have more mods that we like than dislike. :)

For size and boat to DTD we enjoy FQ
(not crazy about the Joker theme in the food court, but otherwise the resort is pretty, quaint and almost not a bad room location to be had)

For beauty and theme: CSR

When we wanted pure tropical: CBR
(do not care for the new Nemo theme, so will not be staying at CBR any time soon - makes no sense to us. CBR is Caribbean and Nemo is an Aussie.:confused: ).

POR would be our last choice - much too spread out, do not like Boatwrights. Funny, b/c we found POR to be far more spread out than CSR or CBR!

:mickey:

#1donaldfan
03-31-2009, 12:42 PM
IMHO POR AB has to be the best !!! We truly love the feel of the AB section ...it's so laid back, shaded, centrally located, easy access to DtD VIA boat or bus....it boasts 5 quiet pools, and one large signature pool with a hot tub....the food court is great, Boatwrights restraunt is wonderful....you can rent water craft, go fishing, rent bikes, walk trails, take a carriage ride...there's so much to see and do, and that's just the resort....:mickey:

Disney Doll
03-31-2009, 01:43 PM
I really don't think you can make a bad choice, but my vote goes for CSR. We have stayed at all the moderates except POFQ (I can't get over the pictures I have seen of the Joker food court :sick:). I likes CSR the best. We stayed in the casitas section and I loved the decor there. The grounds are just gorgeous with lots of fountains and tropical plants. We enjoy the queen beds and the pool at CSR is really nice. I haven't been to CBR since their pool rehab so that's hard to compare. I don't mind being at a larger resort when the grounds are so nice to walk through. We often walked the long way around the CSR loop just to look at more of the resort. We really liked the selection in the grab and go market at CSR. We frequently got our meals to go and ate outside on the patio by the lake. It was just a very serene and relaxing atmosphere.

Insanity Clause
03-31-2009, 04:35 PM
POR I think is the better of the moderates. It offered all the things we needed and one of the few moderates where you can sleep 5 without upgrading in price to a suite. So with us it is a determining factor. Plus the grounds are beautiful!