PDA

View Full Version : Economy's affect on travel plans

slpngbty56
03-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Since I haven't won the Florida Lottery yet I've had to re-think our travel plans for September. If we want to go this year we're going to have to scale back our plans considerably.
We had planned to go to GF this year, but with money being as tight as it is I couldn't justify spending an extra $1000. to stay there, but I sure wish I could.:sob:
We are trying to decide between AKL & WL as alternates. I'm leaning more towards WL b/c of its proximity to the places I want to dine at while we're there and of course MK, my favorite park.:
I was wondering if anyone else is having to do the same or cancel their plans altogether. I only live a couple hours away from the world so I can't imagine having to pay for airfare and and any other extra's.

PixieMagic
03-26-2009, 06:23 PM
We live in MN - we've ALWAYS stayed at Poly since I was in the 4th grade...I'm 24 now, married...and for the first time we not only don't have the money for a deluxe but due to my father's layoff and my layoff they don't have the money and neither do DH and I....we will be staying at POP and although any trip to Disney is better than no trip to Disney I am dreading the cheesy atmosphere and having to take buses everywhere....

sonkist32
03-26-2009, 07:37 PM
economy is not affecting the number of people visiting disney world. We were there the week of March 16 and it was packed..1 1/2 hrs waits for big rides during the middle of the day and this was before Easter. If you've noticed they have extended the hrs and have been adding later spectro parades and now have several showings of fantasmic. Maybe people aren't buying as many trinkets and such but they sure are packing them into the parks.

MNNHFLTX
03-27-2009, 10:43 AM
We don't have a trip planned at the moment, although I'm considering one yet for 2009. If we do, we will actually probably do a deluxe stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, as I've had a hankering to go back there, despite the economy. I'm acutely aware that my son is almost grown up and will be out of the house soon and want to "sieze the moment", so to speak. So right now emotions speak louder than money to me.

MNNHFLTX
03-27-2009, 10:44 AM
economy is not affecting the number of people visiting disney world. We were there the week of March 16 and it was packed..1 1/2 hrs waits for big rides during the middle of the day and this was before Easter. If you've noticed they have extended the hrs and have been adding later spectro parades and now have several showings of fantasmic. Maybe people aren't buying as many trinkets and such but they sure are packing them into the parks.It sounds like some of their discounts (like the 4+3) are working they way they were intended. ;)

lockedoutlogic
03-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Effective May 1st animal kingdom lodge will far surpass Wilderness Lodge based on amentities.....

DVC.....new feature pool....new full service restaurant (something that seems to be becoming extinct at WDW resorts)...new counterserve....new giftshop.....Okapi outside.....

I still love Wilderness Lodge though...to be clear.....But AKL is fantastic

ShanPooh
03-27-2009, 01:58 PM
We're taking advantage of the 4/3 deal to stay at POP. We'll be driving :covered: instead of flying though - unless some incredible $39-59 fares come up.

mudpuppysmom
03-27-2009, 02:35 PM
We seriously thought about "taking a year off" this year, then Disney came out with the military offer on tickets. It will save us a considerable amount of money so we are discussing an October trip (DH wants to go then, but I want to go in Dec). DH works a lot to help our vacations become a reality, so I have to let him have his way THIS time I think!

We will stay at SOG though....we like the space their rooms offer and we could stay at a mod on disney property for the same $$, so we'll stay at Shades (which we do most of the time anyway).

I'm glad we can take A trip this year, it's just a big plus we can do disney!

Janet89
03-27-2009, 04:03 PM
We, thankfully, will be able to vacation this year. My DH and DS (9) aren't into :mickey:, :(so we're going to Clearwater Beach. DS has requested Discovery Cove. We will probably go to Busch Gardens, as well, since it is included with DC. I have been able to find decent flight prices through Allegiant Air.

I think Disney's promo of 4 + 3 will help a lot of people. Also, the free dining plan. I think Disney is working to keep people coming. Some may have to downgrade accomodations like stated above. I would gladly do that to be able to vacation.

Tink1
03-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Since I haven't won the Florida Lottery yet I've had to re-think our travel plans for September. If we want to go this year we're going to have to scale back our plans considerably.
We had planned to go to GF this year, but with money being as tight as it is I couldn't justify spending an extra $1000. to stay there, but I sure wish I could.:sob:
We are trying to decide between AKL & WL as alternates. I'm leaning more towards WL b/c of its proximity to the places I want to dine at while we're there and of course MK, my favorite park.:
I was wondering if anyone else is having to do the same or cancel their plans altogether. I only live a couple hours away from the world so I can't imagine having to pay for airfare and and any other extra's.

Trust me, you are not alone. We are seeing a LARGE economic impact this year. Across the board, there is no demographic that I follow for the company that is not seeing a hit.

Nanc

KODABEAR
03-27-2009, 08:04 PM
We live in Florida and have been able to cont. to travel to WDW (Thanks MJ! ) :party2::party2: We'll keep going hope you all can get back soon!

dtootsie42
03-27-2009, 11:24 PM
We go to the world every other year. We talked about not going this year because we will have 3 in college. Two full time and one part time. Our oldest will be a senior and we finally decided that this would be a good family trip because after graduation I am sure there will be lots of life transitions...one will be hopefully getting a job, another will be going to college out of state and the third will finally go to college full time. My husband also got laid off and was fortunate to get another job so he really is looking forward to this trip. Me...I think I just want to take a deep breath and relax at my favorite place with people who mean the most to me.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

spoiledraf
03-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Fortunately or unfortunately depending on where you are standing, my job has me working to the point I have to take days off just to get general chores completed. My employer is of the opinion it's more cost efficient to work 20 people 12 hours a day instead of 30 people 8 hours a day. And when I add a couple hours after work to visit my mom in a nursing home, well I got a lot of cash but not enough time or sleep to enjoy it. Trust me, the seven days at Disney for us will be greatly appreciated. And I would gladly give up some of that overtime to put some of the younger guys who are struggleing back to work.:(

TheVBs
03-28-2009, 12:54 PM
We're definitely feeling the impact too. While we're lucky enough to be going in May, I have to be honest and say we could certainly be putting that money to more practical uses. But, we consider vacations necessary for our good mental health and we always have such a wonderful time there.

I'm with you MNNHFLTX - my emotions are most definitely speaking louder than money.

We always drive, and we always stay at value resorts. We'd rather put our money somewhere else on WDW trips. But this year we opted out of the dining plan and decided that we just didn't need a sit down meal every day. We'll probaby be a little more conservative with souvenirs too (don't hold me to that though! :blush:).

TiggerD
03-28-2009, 02:00 PM
We have been spoilled by going to Disney every year, last year we did not go. DH wanted to go this year only if the FD was offered at the time we were wanting to go. Well, it has been offered and we are going. We have stayed at the Deluxe, Moderates, and Value Resorts, and realized that we did not mind the value resorts at all. Sure the amenities are nice at the more pricier resorts, but to be honest, we were not at the resorts enough to really enjoy them, all we needed was a pool, shower, and a nice comfy clean room to sleep in at night.
My DH works hard and long hours and he needs this vacation for his mental well being. Should we be using this money elsewhere, sure, but with the world the way it is today, you have to stop and grab some pixie dust every once in a while to get you through.:mickey:

DawsonAR
03-28-2009, 02:27 PM
We usually go two or three times a year. This year only once. We are blessed to be able to go once, so no complaints here (even though we will miss the other trips).

Dopey's Girl
03-28-2009, 11:15 PM
My job is pretty safe (thank goodness...my brother is unemployed and he and my SIL are expecting, so I know the horrors of this economy) so I haven't had to change plans too much. I have found myself being much more frugal with dining plans, and with other vacation options like rental car prices, and things like that. I'm staying at Pop in May, but have stayed there a number of times. While I would love to stay Deluxe, I'm trying to be mindful of my spending so a value (with the buy 4 get 3 deal)is all I felt right doing right now. I'm just feeling blessed that I can make plans at all considering our economic climate right now.

Mousemates
03-29-2009, 09:41 AM
We are taking the approach of scaling back costs instead of scaling back travel...which largely means we're following the age old practice of "visiting family that lives in vacation areas." In the past we have tended to be on the receiving end of these visits (native of Gatlinburg, TN). However, I am posting while finishing off a trip to Ocean City Maryland (credit card points for lodging),Annapolis, MD and Washington DC (stayed with sister in law). We will probably go to Maine in late summer and stay with an aunt in Bar Harbor...and we have newly made plans for a late Dec trip to WDW where we will be spending a couple of nights in one of the new tree houses with my wife's family and a couple in a value (Pop). It has worked well for us, and been a lot of fun spending real time with folks we haven't seen in a while.

TheMartellFamily
03-29-2009, 10:53 AM
For us we do not have a trip planned for this year. We would love to go but as of right now it just is not possible.

playdead88
03-29-2009, 05:52 PM
we are driving this year instead of flying to save a few bucks - dh's company is also in the mindset that fewer workers working more hours is the way to go so hes working a lot but for a 10% cut in salary - and im a nurse so no slow down there but we certainly feel the effects - the price of everything is up - disney is our only yearly vacation and we need that week for sanity sake - i think i would find other ways to cut the budget before we cut out that week

Jodi
03-29-2009, 09:05 PM
We have cut back on spending for things that we don't need, therefore are saving to go to Disney this year. We are going down during the free dining and have always stayed at Pop. For the amount of time that we actually spend IN the room, Pop is fine for the 4 of us and the free dining helps alot too. We only have a couple of these type of vacations to spend with DD's as one is approaching college age and the other is not far behind. So, despite the economy, we are going, as a family.

LandFan
03-30-2009, 09:43 AM
My DH works hard and long hours and he needs this vacation for his mental well being. Should we be using this money elsewhere, sure, but with the world the way it is today, you have to stop and grab some pixie dust every once in a while to get you through.:mickey:

I agree fully! We weren't going to be able to go this year because we bought a house, etc. but then free dining came out AND the best part is that they started it a week earlier this year in August so I can actually take advantage of it! I am a teacher and we can't really get out at the beginning of the school year. In addition, some extra jobs have come my way that will actually mostly pay for the trip.

Someone was definitely looking out for us this year. :thumbsup: Right up until the day before they released free dining to Disney Visa members and released the dates, I thought there was no way we were going this year:confused: but thanks to a confluence of events - life is good and we are going to see the :mickey: again this year!