PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Mousekeeping

PETE FROM NYC
03-26-2009, 04:44 PM
I know this has probably asked and answered to death,but here goes again.
DW and I will be staying at Pop for ten days around Labor Day, just the two of us.How much to leave daily for a tip?

PixieMagic
03-26-2009, 05:24 PM
We've always stayed at Poly previously (first time at pop this year) but I assume tipping is the same.... we always use the $2 per person per day rule and make tipping envelopes ahead of time decorated saying "Mousekeeping" it's fun to put out every day and if it's just you and DH I would put $4-$5 in each one :o) Having them ready ahead of time saves hassle...we even have each day printed on them and set them in the bathroom by the mirror - that way they know the money is for them! :o) :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-26-2009, 05:30 PM
There are 3 of us (DD, DH and myself), and we leave between $3 - $5/day. We too put it in envelopes marked "mousekeeping" and put them out in a prominent place in the room.

Belster
03-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I never thought to do envelopes. The kids can make them in advance...they always want to write a note anyway.

PixieMagic
03-26-2009, 06:25 PM
It's a GREAT project for kids...give them some fun Disney stickers too! We always use tink cuz that's my fav and I make them b/c no kids yet - but it's still fun! DH even took a pic of it cuz he thought my idea was so cute - plus you don't have to remember to set out cash everyday....it's already ready to go!! :thumbsup:

playdead88
03-26-2009, 07:05 PM
we always tip 2$ per person staying in the room - this will be our first stay as dvc members so no daily mousekeeping for us - honestly that was one of the factors that kept us from becoming members sooner -im gonna miss the washcloth animals

tinkerddeedee
03-26-2009, 08:15 PM
WOW! guess I haven't had to tip in a while. We have 5 in our family and I can't imagine tipping $10 per day! What a cheap-o I am!:secret:

cindchan
03-26-2009, 08:32 PM
My rule of thumb has always been $1 per bed, per day. But I keep a pretty clean room, and it's only me. So, only one bed, and no massive amount of mess to clean up. This past week, I left a dollar the first day, and came back to find a towel bunny waiting for me. So I left the future tips with it and a note saying "Thank you!!" (I was kinda hoping to get a group of bunnies by the end of the trip :secret:)

tinksmom02
03-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I usually leave $3 per day--there are three of us. I usually just put them in envelopes that say "Thank you, Mousekeeping!"

DreamFinder2
03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
It's a GREAT project for kids...give them some fun Disney stickers too!

So is it bad if a 35 year old guy likes to decorate Mousekeeping envelopes with Disney stickers??? I'll be honest...I set aside a whole Saturday afternoon about 3 months before each trip for this.

I'm pretty sure this is the only site I can say that and not be banned :thumbsup:

As for the original question...we abide by the $2/person per day rule also.

DizRunner
03-26-2009, 10:58 PM
DreamFinder2,

Absolutely not bad being a 35 year old doing that. Shoot, I'm 43 and I go down to WDW to run the in marathon or half-marathon every other year by myself. (I'm married with a 4 year old. But my wife doesn't like to fly. Can you say, "Big kid in a candy store.") In 2008 everyday I would put a 3/5 card that had a nice picture of Mickey on it with "Thanks Mousekeeping!! Signed Brian - WDW 2008 Marathon Weekend" with a couple of bucks paper clipped on to it. Before I left for the day I would place it on the pillow of my un-made bed so I knew they'd see it.

I always like to take home a set of bath soap, hand soap and shampoo as a keepsake. Of course because of taking a shower in the morning and evening, I ran out of shampoo. So before I left for the parks on my second to last day, I wrote on my Mousekeeping card asking for a set of toiletries.

To my surprise when I got back to the room at the end of the day, they left me THREE sets of soaps and shampoo.

Pays to be nice. Plus I loved creating the cards and tipping. Shows you care enough to take the time.

Brian

PixieMagic
03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
So is it bad if a 35 year old guy likes to decorate Mousekeeping envelopes with Disney stickers??? I'll be honest...I set aside a whole Saturday afternoon about 3 months before each trip for this.

OMG! No way is it bad! We don't have kids now - but I will have a hard time letting future kids do it and I guarantee when I am 63 I will still be doing it!! It's project that gets me excited for the trip and I even ordered a special roll of stickers for it last time!!! :woohoo:

Zone Stop
03-27-2009, 01:35 AM
First off, I think it's awesome that you guys go to the effort you do to recognize our mousekeeping staff... but the housekeepers don't usually get to keep the tips. Most often, they go to a communal pizza party fund. If you want to do something nice for them, send a letter regarding your positive experience - this will get them recognition and also a notation for a guest letter on their Cast Member Record. To do so, fire off an email or snail mail to one of the following:

[email protected]

Guest Correspondence
P.O. Box 10040
Walt Disney World Resort Executive Offices
Lake Buena Vista,Florida, United States, 32830

tinkerddeedee
03-27-2009, 07:15 AM
oh, thats very interresting!

DizneyRox
03-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Housekeeping at Disney is a NON-TIPPED position.

cindchan
03-27-2009, 09:40 AM
First off, I think it's awesome that you guys go to the effort you do to recognize our mousekeeping staff... but the housekeepers don't usually get to keep the tips. Most often, they go to a communal pizza party fund.

Whoo!! Pizza party!!

And why isn't that still a nice thing? When I was cleaning room, I wouldn't have minded a pizza party. Not as good as getting a tip, but hey PIZZA!!

BTW, I'm still tipping, I don't care what people say.

greengeen
03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
WOW! guess I haven't had to tip in a while. We have 5 in our family and I can't imagine tipping $10 per day! What a cheap-o I am!:secret:

No, you are not. Housekeeping is not a tipped position at WDW. You don't HAVE to tip the housekeepers unless you want to.

Every time this question comes up, dozens and dozens of posters jump in to brag about their elaborate tipping rituals. Tipping for housekeepers at WDW resorts is totally optional and not expected or required.

Minnie4me
03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Housekeeping at Disney is a NON-TIPPED position.

Tipped position or not...I don't mind leaving a few dollars for their service.

Heck...Starbuck's have a tip jar and all they do is give you a cup of coffee...that you pay for anyway.

Besides...they usually do some extra things such as towel animals, arranging your stuffed Disney characters in the window as if they are awaiting your return, etc.

But I don't do it for the extras, I do it to be nice. If folks can spend a mountain of money at Disney, a few dollars for Mousekeeping won't be missed.

#1donaldfan
03-27-2009, 09:57 AM
...we normally leave $ 1 per person, per day ....we're a family of 5, so my math would be $ 5 per day !! I'm surprised they can't keep them....:mickey:

Dream'nDisney
03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
The last couple of stays we have left a tip in an envelope entitled "Mousekeeping" and they did not take the envelopes??

PixieMagic
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
No, you are not. Housekeeping is not a tipped position at WDW. You don't HAVE to tip the housekeepers unless you want to.

Every time this question comes up, dozens and dozens of posters jump in to brag about their elaborate tipping rituals. Tipping for housekeepers at WDW resorts is totally optional and not expected or required.

I don't see how answering a question that is asked is bragging?? And the fact that it's optional and not expected is why we or at least I do it! I love making people happy and I am sure the envelopes put a smile on the face of the staff... :cloud9:

Disney Doll
03-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Most tipping is optional so I'm not sure why people always feel the need to point that out when someone asks about tips. However, I think it's important to tip to show my appreciation for the work they do. Our mousekeepers are always super nice and coming back to a clean room everyday is a nice part of vacation.

To the OP, we generally tip between $3-5 a day for our party of 3. I do make envelopes ahead of time just so I don't have to worry about whether or not I have cash on hand. I do the same for ME tips.

TammiMcMan
03-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Every time this question comes up, dozens and dozens of posters jump in to brag about their elaborate tipping rituals. Tipping for housekeepers at WDW resorts is totally optional and not expected or required.That's not a fair statement at all and I'm puzzled as to why you would even post it this way :confused:. No one has responded negatively to the fact that housekeeping is considered a non-tipping position. Who gets tipped and how much is a totally personal choice and the majority of the posts has reflected that.

DawsonAR
03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
We usually tip $5.00 per day. We have two adults and two children. I appreciate the work they do.

mom2morgan
03-27-2009, 09:24 PM
There are four of us, and we left $5 a day. A little under the "going" rate, apparently - but I won't fret too much since I know a lot of people don't tip at all. (she said, trying to rationalize her cheapness...

DreamFinder2
03-27-2009, 10:37 PM
This board is great! You guys make me laugh :D

As for the "tipped position" vs. "non-tipped position", I agree with most posters above. I leave tips because I appreciate the level of service Disney offers. When I meet a Mousekeeper in the hallway, they're always friendly and polite. And, when I've made special requests for more towels or other supplies, they've always accommodated me.

We ALL want to feel appreciated for the jobs we do. $4.00 in a little 15 cent envelope with stickers on it is well worth it, if you ask me. :thumbsup:

DizRunner
03-28-2009, 12:28 PM
This board is great! You guys make me laugh

As for the "tipped position" vs. "non-tipped position", I agree with most posters above. I leave tips because I appreciate the level of service Disney offers. When I meet a Mousekeeper in the hallway, they're always friendly and polite. And, when I've made special requests for more towels or other supplies, they've always accommodated me.

We ALL want to feel appreciated for the jobs we do. $4.00 in a little 15 cent envelope with stickers on it is well worth it, if you ask me.

Amen

TheVBs
03-28-2009, 12:55 PM
I had no idea Mousekeeping doesn't get to keep their tips!

cindchan
03-28-2009, 08:32 PM
I had no idea Mousekeeping doesn't get to keep their tips!

Well, I suppose that's if they actually admit they got tips. :secret:

egospotter
03-28-2009, 09:08 PM
We had the same thing happen to us, we left envelopes with mousekeeping on them and they were always still there at the end of the day. I stated leaving the money out on the bed with the little folded card that they leave in the room. They took it after that.

Also, we do $1 per person per day, so for dh and i it's $2. We only use one bed and are clean so that seems fair to me.

Daddy Mouse
03-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I leave $1 per person per day. The last hotel I stayed at I forgot on the last day to leave a tip, as I was worried about getting to a meeting late. I actually felt guilty later.

Mrs Bus Driver
03-29-2009, 10:08 AM
With only a couple of people in the room I leave $1 per person per day. And if they get a pizza party out of it later that is fine by me. I am in no way an excessive tipper, but I do like to let people know that a job well done is appreciated. :mickey:

TheMartellFamily
03-29-2009, 10:50 AM
We leave for the 4 of us $4-$8 per day. It depends have the rooms need cleaning or what stuff we need refurbished. Some days are worse than others so they will get more. We have always had great service with Mousekeeping. When it is our last day rather than thowing water and sodas out we will give them to mousekeeping. Hopefully a little thirst quencher will make their day.

dtootsie42
03-29-2009, 03:16 PM
We are a family of 5 so usually leave 5 dollars...sometimes a little more. It is a small way to show my appreciation for the work they do.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

TheRustyScupper
03-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Re: Mousekeeping Tips

1) We do not leave tips at WDW for housekeeping.
2) At most hotels, maids are poorly paid.
3) At WDW, the maids are paid well.
4) In fact, they are paid more than many other WDW jobs.
5) WDW maids (per union contract)
. . . make up to $12.47/hr
. . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
. . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
. . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
. . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
. . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's

LudwigVonDrake
03-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Usually a dollar per person a day is what I tip :mickey:

Mousemates
03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Re: Mousekeeping Tips

5) WDW maids (per union contract)
. . . make up to $12.47/hr
. . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
. . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
. . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
. . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
. . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's

If you add in another 3-5 dollars per room cleaned per day thats a pretty tidy sum...especially when you consider that since the position isn't considered "tipped" that most of the tips likely slide by the taxman. If the economy continues to slide, WDW mousekeepers might be among the few who can still manage a vacation. :mickey:

wildernesslady
03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Can someone explain the $35/room incentive for DVC? Do they get that for every room they clean? Also, on our last trip we had about half a case of water left over. The bottles were completely untouched in the case wrapper still. I thought mousekeeping would use them. Is this OK to do or should we have discarded them? I hated to throw them away and thought they would use them.

Marilyn Michetti
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM
The maids at SOG aren't Disney employees. I don't know what they make, but we appreciate the service, so we leave $3 - 4 for the two of us.

thejens
03-31-2009, 10:39 PM
I left a tip and it was not taken. I left it with a little note that said thank you (not elaborate or cute with stickers, though!!) After that I read that they were not allowed tips. I worry about someone getting fired for being tempted or that honest folks get nothing while those breaking the rules are rewarded. At other hotels we generally leave 5.00 per night unless we are especially messy. It's sort of confusing to me about what to do.

Iteachpc
03-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Okay, I have always tipped Mousekeeping, but now after reading this thread I'm confused. :confused: If mousekeeping is paid so well and does not get to keep the money then should I stop tipping? We save carefully for our Disney vacation every few years. I would hate to think I am wasting money tipping people who don't need the money and aren't even allowed to keep it.

Someone please clarify this!:confused:

Zone Stop
04-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Again, Mousekeepers with Integrity do not keep their tips.

At the Front Desk, we turn it in to our managers, who put it in the collective tip fund.
From that fund, they occasionally order pizza or doughnuts or whatnot for us.

Your mousekeeper will not directly receive your tip.

DizneyRox
04-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Again, Mousekeepers with Integrity do not keep their tips.

At the Front Desk, we turn it in to our managers, who put it in the collective tip fund.
From that fund, they occasionally order pizza or doughnuts or whatnot for us.

Your mousekeeper will not directly receive your tip.
Which is interesting, considering the number of people leaving a tip here. I would expect fully catered meals everyday for the staff.

Pizza -$15 a pie (feeds 4 people)
Donuts - $8 a dozen (feeds 6 people)

Some poeple seem to be leaving enough to cover this in one room. Wonder where this [tax free] money is really going.

tinkerddeedee
04-01-2009, 07:02 AM
You made a VERY good point! There are those who are honest and don't indulge, but then there are the ones who DO take and how do we REALLY know they aren't keeping it for themselfs, (not that they don't deserve it, but if thats the rule, thats the rule!!!!!)
I didn't realize they made so much! Good thing to know;)

tinkerddeedee
04-01-2009, 07:06 AM
Okay, I have always tipped Mousekeeping, but now after reading this thread I'm confused. :confused: If mousekeeping is paid so well and does not get to keep the money then should I stop tipping? We save carefully for our Disney vacation every few years. I would hate to think I am wasting money tipping people who don't need the money and aren't even allowed to keep it.

Someone please clarify this!:confused:

I'm with you! We also (as lots of people) save carefully to do disney. We haven't been in 6 years!!! That money could be going to a balloon or small toy or something that will put a smile on my child's face! That may seem selfish, but we don't get to disney as often as we'd like. I thank you guys at this thread who have put things into perspective for me!

tinkerddeedee
04-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Which is interesting, considering the number of people leaving a tip here. I would expect fully catered meals everyday for the staff.

Pizza -$15 a pie (feeds 4 people)
Donuts - $8 a dozen (feeds 6 people)

Some poeple seem to be leaving enough to cover this in one room. Wonder where this [tax free] money is really going.

well, we do have to consider that there are ALOT of people working at these resorts. so i can see where they would need more than one pizza for a party. BUT I'm also thinking...maybe they have REALLY nice Christmas parties~

DizneyRox
04-01-2009, 07:23 AM
I thank you guys at this thread who have put things into perspective for me!
You're very welcome... :thumbsup:

well, we do have to consider that there are ALOT of people working at these resorts. so i can see where they would need more than one pizza for a party. BUT I'm also thinking...maybe they have REALLY nice Christmas parties~
Why would my tip for housekeeping (which is mostly for a clean room) being shared throughout the entire resort. I'm not tipping because the front desk checked me in, I'm not tipping because the the grounds are well kept, I'm tipping because someone made my bed, dumped out my garbage, and gave me fresh towels.

There aren't THAT many people doing that work in each resort. I gotta figure they have about 20 rooms each maybe? I'm sure someoe can do the math, ther's certainly enough money left in tips to EASILY cover a pizza lunch every day for the housekeepers. Not every so often...

TheVBs
04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
How about a list of tipped positions at the WDW resorts? I would be very interested in one if someone could provide it.

Thanks! :mickey:

brownie
04-01-2009, 08:45 AM
We'll leave $1-2 per person each night.

DizneyRox
04-01-2009, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=TheVBs;1860572]How about a list of tipped positions at the WDW resorts? I would be very interested in one if someone could provide it.

At the resorts? I think only wait staff in their restaurants, bell hops, and valet. Off hand I can't think of anyone else. I guess if you have a driver for one of the boat outings, they would appreciate a tip, but not sure if they are actual tipped positions.

TheRustyScupper
04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
From the union contract, these are the only tipped positions at WDW - anywhere.
All other DW jobs are non-tipped. **
. . . Banquet Facility H/H (T)
. . . Banquet Service H/H (T) and 7(i)
. . . Beverage Assistant (T)
. . . Beverage Captain (T) and 7(i)
. . . Beverage Cart H/H (T) and 7(i)
. . . Beverage H/H (T)
. . . Beverage H/H Banquets (T) and 7(i)
. . . Food & Bev Assistant (T)
. . . Food & Bev Captain (T) and 7(i)
. . . Food & Bev Dinner Show Server (T) and 7(i)
. . . Food & Bev Service H/H (T)
. . . Hospitality Service H/H (T) *
. . . Special Service H/H (T)

* These include bellmen and valet, but excludes DME.
** CM's such as boat/cruise captains and guides are non-tipped positions.

TammiMcMan
04-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I thought that Disney subcontracted for housekeeping. Has that changed? If they are subcontracted, they wouldn't fall under the Disney union would they?

I guess it really doesn't matter either way. No one should ever feel obligated to leave a tip. If you don't want, then don't. There are countries who feel it's insulting to be left a tip. I'm sure with many visitors from outside the US, Disney employees are used to receiving anything from 0% up to 20%.

TheRustyScupper
04-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I thought that Disney subcontracted for housekeeping. Has that changed? If they are subcontracted, they wouldn't fall under the Disney union would they?

1) In times of maid shortages, they contract temp-labor.
2) The remainder of housekeepers are CM's.
3) When they use temp-agencies, the fees are higher than CM wages.

TammiMcMan
04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Thank you Rusty. I remember for a while they had a tough time hiring housekeeping staff. I didn't know what the current status was.

TheRustyScupper
04-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Thank you Rusty. I remember for a while they had a tough time hiring housekeeping staff. I didn't know what the current status was.

1) Hardly any temps.
2) Too many people need jobs.
3) WDW filled these easily.

TheVBs
04-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Thank you for the list Rusty! :mickey:

snerd475
04-03-2009, 06:57 PM
We had the same thing happen to us, we left envelopes with mousekeeping on them and they were always still there at the end of the day. I stated leaving the money out on the bed with the little folded card that they leave in the room. They took it after that.

Also, we do $1 per person per day, so for dh and i it's $2. We only use one bed and are clean so that seems fair to me.

I've had the same experience. A couple of times, I printed out very elaborately decorated envelopes that said "For Mousekeeping" on them, along with a personal signature, and the last few times, they didn't take the envelopes.
Now, I just take a piece of the plain white note paper by the phone, fold it in half and write, "For Housekeeping. Thank you!" on it, and leave it on the vanity. They always take it. I think they may be apprehensive about taking the envelopes sometimes. Perhaps the envelopes make them unsure, but visible cash with a note directed to them works fine. And I truly hope that they get to keep it, and not put it into a pot for a pizza party.
Any Mousekeepers out there that will clarify this?

dmosher
04-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Call me cheap but I admittingly do not tip housekeeping. In fact we generally leave the " Do Not Disturb" sign on the door our whoel trip. I fi need somehting I will ask for it. We just prefer our privacy.

Maybe that is why we love the Villas so much. They only come once per week or so, change a few things then go. No one needs fresh towels and linens every day, sorry you just don't and it is a waste of water. I am quite happy drying them myself for the next day. Maybe it is different if you have kids with nappies, etc, but we have very little trash and waste when we travel and keep a neat and tidy room, so no service is usually needed.
:pipes:
D

Ltmoko
04-04-2009, 01:41 PM
First, we usually tip $1 per person per day. Now....After reading this thread I was wondering if mousekeeping can not keep tips, what about the bellman and valet? We all tip them. It should be the same across the board. I think they all should keep what ever tips they get! If they want a Pizza party they can chip in for it. Some people could use the extra money, especially with the economy right now. Just my opinion.:thumbsup:

PetefromRI
04-04-2009, 01:55 PM
The 2 of us leave $5 on the first day.If it's done right we'll leave $3 a day after that.If it's a lousey job after the first day,we don't tip at all.

TheRustyScupper
04-04-2009, 10:12 PM
. . . what about the bellman and valet? . . .

1) Per union contract, Bellmen and Valet ARE tipped positions.
2) See the list above.

DisneyorBust
04-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Mr. Scupper,
Could you translate your list for me?
I am confused as to what an H/H is, as well as the T's etc.
We normally tip Mousekeeping, bell services etc and don't want to leave anyone out or get nyone in trouble.
I hope that I am not the only one that doesn't understand!:D
Thanks.

TheRustyScupper
04-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Mr. Scupper, Could you translate your list for me? I am confused as to what an H/H is, as well as the T's etc.

1) Sorry about that, it is the job title
. . . H/H = host/hostess
. . . T = tipped classification
2) Only jobs with a (T) are tipped positions, per contract.
3) Thus, maids/concierge/etc are not a tipped job classification.

Mousemates
04-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Thank you for the list Rusty! :mickey:

:thumbsup::ditto::thumbsup: