PDA

View Full Version : Is South of the Border worth stopping?

PETE FROM NYC
03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
We were thinking about stopping at this ultimate tourist trap.
How about it.
Is it worth stopping for an hour or two?

krose78
03-26-2009, 04:51 PM
:rotfl: maybe if you need a rest stop but not much more than that.

Fire314
03-26-2009, 04:55 PM
I would have to agree. Unless you need a rest room break keep on going not to much to it. :ack:

JPL
03-26-2009, 05:57 PM
It's a giant tourist trap I would avoid it all costs.

barnaby
03-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Worth stopping for a break, thats about it.
We stopped last March, just to say we've done it.

Piglet822
03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
I did a charter bus trip to NC a few months ago and the kids were begging me to stop at South of the Border.
We did and it looked like a ghost town! Most of the places were closed, or should have been. There was literally noone there. I remember stopping here as a kid and it was great. Not anymore.
I wouldn't even stop for a bathroom break, I'd find another exit.
The place does not look like it's been kept up very well and IMO, it's just not worth the time.

DisneyPrincess21
03-26-2009, 10:52 PM
We were thinking about stopping at this ultimate tourist trap.
How about it.
Is it worth stopping for an hour or two?

I went there as a child back in the 80's and it was nice, We enjoyed the stop. But a few years back in 2008 we were planning a stop again. And we pulled in and it is a total run down looking place. Let me put this as "PC" as I can..... :covered:It looks Dirty like a place were a "John" would go, :jaw:if you catch my drift. I also heard from some locals that it is in fact a popular place for the "john's and their company" :eek:and has a very bad drug problem there as well. Not such a family friendly place to visit on your WDW trip:down:

TheDuckRocks
03-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Do not stop at South of the Border!!!
If you need to use the restroom gut it out and keep driving. They have to have the worst nasty dirty restrooms I've ever seen.:noway::nono::jaw:

MNNHFLTX
03-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Years ago I would have said to at least stop and take a picture to prove to say that you've been there. But it really has gone downhill in recent years. :shake:

PETE FROM NYC
03-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Well, it sounds like we will be a bunch of years too late for this place.
That being said,is there any decent places worth a stop along 95? Just DW and yours truly, no kids.
She wants to stop at Kings Dominion and Busch(Virginia), and maybe the zoo or aquarium in Atlanta.
We are both retired so we have nothing but time.

JPL
03-27-2009, 06:24 PM
The National Aquarium in Baltimore is cool and lots great place to eat right in the area:thumbsup:

DisneyPrincess21
03-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, it sounds like we will be a bunch of years too late for this place.
That being said,is there any decent places worth a stop along 95? Just DW and yours truly, no kids.
She wants to stop at Kings Dominion and Busch(Virginia), and maybe the zoo or aquarium in Atlanta.
We are both retired so we have nothing but time.

I personally love stopping in Savannah Georgia. It's a beautiful place, And worth a stop.

Piglet822
03-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I personally love stopping in Savannah Georgia. It's a beautiful place, And worth a stop.

I was just in Savannah for a couple of days (not near long enough) with a girl scout troop (another out of town charter, I love my job :D ).
We toured a very small portion of the city, drove out to Tybee Island, stopped at Fort Jackson for a bit, it's beautiful! Definitely worth a stop.
The historic area of Savannah is absolutely gorgeous.
I'll try to get my pics posted in the next day or two on Webshots so you can check them out.

cheeky monkey
03-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I was just in Savannah for a couple of days (not near long enough) with a girl scout troop (another out of town charter, I love my job :D ).
We toured a very small portion of the city, drove out to Tybee Island, stopped at Fort Jackson for a bit, it's beautiful! Definitely worth a stop.
I'll try to get my pics posted in the next day or two on Webshots so you can check them out.
I'll give you a third vote for Savannah. It's a beautiful historic city with a European feel.

DisneyPrincess21
03-28-2009, 10:45 PM

I love the mossy-willow type trees they have on the streets downtown, It's beautiful! :photo:

TheDuckRocks
03-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Pete, just outside of Savannah (love, love, love Savannah) is Richmond Hill and they have an absolutely wonderful restaurant there called Love's Seafood. The Georgia white shrimp are amazing....very sweet, I ask to have mine grilled or broiled. My DH is looking over my shoulder and said to let you know that the mahi-mahi there is the best he's ever had and we lived in Hawaii for 13 years.
I'm going to give this some thought and let you know other places that we have found to be interesting off 95.

wdw_bound
03-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Atlanta would be a serious detour for you guys if you are trying to stick to the I-95 corridor, although both the zoo and aquarium are great (and I don't usually get excited about aquariums).

We love Savannah and St. Augustine, and have spent time in both. St. Augustine has some great historical sites, and a wonderful Disney outlet with theme park merchandise.

If you are just looking for a place to spend the night, there is a Holiday Inn Express on the Walterboro SC exit that is great - I've stayed there several times as DH has family in the area. Very clean, great service and a wide array of chain restaurants.

Have a great trip :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
03-29-2009, 11:58 AM
The first time I drove to Florida, out of curiosity, I stopped... I took a walk around South of the Border.. I checked out the gift shops... To check it out for 5-10 minutes is OK... I wouldn't fall into any of the other traps though... Now, when I drive down, I basically stop there to fill up my car with gas, and off I go... It is a good place to stretch the legs, but nothing else...

Scar
03-29-2009, 12:35 PM
There are a ton of Civil War Battlefiels along the I-95 corridor, many of them just minutes off the highway.

Yankaroo
03-30-2009, 06:20 PM
I'll add my "don't bother" as regards South of the Border. The place is long past its heyday. Used to stop there during the 70s and enjoyed it...made the mistake of staying there in the late 90s...and it was the pits.

A suggestion (if you have never done it before)..swing east through Norfolk and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel over to Delmarva...lots to see and do (Google Worcester County MD for some examples)...including Assateague Island. You could also take the Cape May-Lewes Ferry for yet another unique experience