PDA

View Full Version : Austin Texas questions

mook3y
03-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Howdy folks!

Well, my job here in NE was cancelled early but my company is relocating me to Austin TX.

Looking for some advice in regards to good school systems, where to live or not to live based on schools. I don't want to have a long commute and will be working in downtown Austin.

With an infant, 4 and 6 year old, also interested in things to do local to where we would live.

So far, I am thinking I am interested in the Leander / Round Rock area and taking advantage of the new lite rail.

I have to be there by June 1st.

From what I have learned so far, expect high water prices, a little higher electricity bills, $70 car registration, and higher car insurance rates.

Compared to Lincoln, NE that is. I grew up in LA county, so wont be too sticker shocked, just want to know what to plan on and to expect.

Thanks in advance!!!!

jray21
03-26-2009, 01:57 AM
I absolutely loved living in Austin. We moved away about 5 years ago and wish we could move back. We lived in Round Rock and in Leander. I really liked the Blockhouse Creek subdivision in Leander. They have the best pools with one having a real waterslide and water mushrooms and a bunch of other cool stuff like a bmx dirt track for kids, and great picnic areas. When I was there the traffic was pretty bad to downtown, but they have done a lot of work since then including two toll roads, one of which runs literally next to blockhouse creek! Sure, some costs are higher, but they are still 1/3 of california costs and you have to remember the most important thing, NO STATE INCOME TAX!!!! That will save you around 5% of your salary. Property Taxes are also higher, but overall I think it's sooo much better. I only lived in Leander and Round Rock, but I think anywhere in that area is great. PM me:thumbsup: if you want some more specific information.