PDA

View Full Version : Extra Magic Hours

nicjohn3
03-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Is it me or are the EMH not so magical any more. Our last 2 trips the extra hours are just crazy. MK was crazier at 11pm than it was at 2pm on a hot July afternoon. What are your feelings about these hours?

Our most recent trip last week was busy to begin with, but the extra hours were nuts. Did anyone else feel the same last week (March 14-21).

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-25-2009, 08:39 PM
We've always tried to avoid evening EMH, they are just as crazy as during the day :(

We have had luck with the morning ones though, I guess people don't like to get up so early!

SorcererJim
03-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I'll second that one... I remember being at an Epcot EMH that was crazy... no fast passes, lines longer than during the day... although, lucky it was just a "hey let's hang out for a while" time and not a "oh man we HAVE to ride Sorin' now" :)

Morning ones seem to be better, I guess people like their sleep after a late night in the world!

Insanity Clause
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
We are planning on making use of the EMH next month when we go but only the morning ones.

Pooh Fan
03-25-2009, 08:56 PM
I think the best advice I have ever followed (and I believe I read it on this site once) was to go to the park that had evening EMH the previous day. This really has helped to avoid crowds for us granted we usually go in September when crowds are low anyway.

nicjohn3
03-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Last week, morning hours were not any better. Got to Soarin at 8:15 and got FP--Time was not until 12:00 and had to wait in line to get a FP. The regular line was out of the area and almost to The Land ride.

Mrs Bus Driver
03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
I like evening EMH but I go in early Oct so the crowds are lighter. :mickey:

PrettyMinnie
03-25-2009, 09:32 PM
I know most of you will disagree with me, but our family loves EMH. I think it is because all the kids in our family are older (above 12) so it's not hard to keep track thanks to cell phones. Not to mention bed time isn't a problem so we can take advantage of the late, late, late EMH in MK. We have always enjoyed them.

CaptSmee
03-25-2009, 09:47 PM
We usually avoid them. You have everyone staying on resort property taking advantage of those hours. Not fun to me...:(

DANAM
03-25-2009, 09:47 PM
We have always had luck with EMH especially in the morning. If you go in the morning you really need to be at the gates waiting at least 10 min before openning.I know that sounds nuts but it's worth it. Don't expect to do everything 2 big ticket rides is the most you can get out of an hour. Especially Epcot we normally will do one of the three soarin', test track, or mission space and are in line for the second when EMH are over and we grab FP for the third. In the evening I feel like the later your there the thinner the crowds get. Although we normally do big ticket rides in the am or use FP and shows and regular rides in the pm.

KylesMom
03-25-2009, 11:20 PM
A couple of years ago, DS and I went to late night EMH after taking a nap late into the evening - and we loved it. That would have been in '05 I think when we last stayed at the CR & could walk to MK in 10 minutes.

Fast forward to the last few years, and we avoid evening EMH like the plague during June/July. We love morning EMH and usually participate in them at AK & MK. However, on our upcoming June trip, we once again plan to avoid the evening ones at all costs. Sure the crowds thin out as the evening goes on (1 am - 2 am) but the next day we're shot.

While we love the atmosphere of the parks in the night time hours, the crowds are just not worth the aggravation to us.

kakn7294
03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
I love the American Adventure during Epcot's evening EMH's though. Our last 2 trips, we've gone to it then and the experience was incredible. The CM manning the door really knows his stuff and does his best to educate anyone who wishes to stay. We've learned so much!

Daddy Mouse
03-26-2009, 10:24 AM
We've done the early EMH in the past and liked going early. (Early Birds) This time we plan on trying the late EMH. Since we are going during the summer. The cooler evening weather will make me a happier camper. I hope everyone else does not have the same idea.

tinksmom02
03-26-2009, 03:36 PM
We've never had any luck with morning EMH. we've gotten there at opening but it seems that they let thousands in before that. Evening EMH is crowded, too, but we've only done MK for evening.

Of course September's hours aren't out yet, but I think I'm going to plan on avoiding morning EMH parks all together. We may hit one or two evening EMH, but maybe not.

Goes4FastPass
03-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Last week, morning hours were not any better. Got to Soarin at 8:15 and got FP--Time was not until 12:00 and had to wait in line to get a FP. The regular line was out of the area and almost to The Land ride.
I think I would look at my wife and say, "This doesn't seem like vacation!"

thrillme
03-26-2009, 05:17 PM
My thought is they are losing money by not CHARGING for those "Extra Magic Hours" like they used to. People could still stick around and "shop" if they wanted but if they wanted to ride and they were "resort guests" it would cost about $12 bucks more.

spoiledraf
03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Our first full day will be EMH at MK and I just can't not go because it will be our grandkids first trip to the world. So I'm hoping to get everyone up early the first day and get some rides in early. We have 11:30 ADR at the Crystal Palace and because we have little ones, 2,3,4, we may head back to the BC for naps or some swimming after lunch. We have a later breakfast ADR at Cape May on Saturday and may try to get some late hours in with evening EMHs Friday night as well. We'll see if Nana wants to babysit as she's not to big on rides. But that probably means Papa (yours truely) will be with the little ones as well while the big kids (ours) get to have a little late night fun on their own.

WDW_Obsessed
03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
We have always had great experiences with morning EMH's at any time of the year, and always had poor experiences with evening EMH's, any time of the year. I agree with many that evening EMH's were busier than during the peak time of the afternoon. However, that's just been my experience. And I will say that we are always in line before the gates open, whether it is an EMH morning or not. Maybe that's why my DH calls me "The General" when we are at Disney :drill:

#1donaldfan
03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
EMH's are more enjoyable in the mornings...the night one's are like said above BUSY !!!! ...I sure wish they would go back to the pay for the arm band....it was much, much slower....:mickey:

yourmagicalguide
03-27-2009, 11:10 AM
After reading several WDW guide books' recommendations, DH and I decided it was best to avoid the parks with EMH - morning or evening. It seemed to really work in our favor in order to get more accomplished. Also, getting to the parks when they first opened was another time saver. We found that most rides are walk-ons before 10 a.m.

GrumpyFan
03-27-2009, 11:46 AM
We've had similar experiences with EMH nights being very busy/crazy. On our last trip we did EMH night at Epcot, where during the day Soarin', Test Track and MS, had wait times less than 1 hour, but during EMH, they were all 90 minutes or more which didn't make sense because out in the park, the paths were empty.

I think the parks are less crowded, but I think they cut the number of castmembers working, so they have reduced capacity on the rides (just a theory). In my opinion, this is bad show for Disney. They're offering something that is supposedly a perk for resort guests, but it's really not anything special when wait times are longer than the day time waits.

joonyer
03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
We have had good luck going to morning EMH at the parks. For example, one year, my 6 yr old DS was really into getting character autographs, so he & I went to MK at 7:30 for the 8:00 EMH opening. We were very near the front getting in at rope drop. This was in May, memorial day week, so it was a crowded time of year.
We got about 20 (twenty) character autographs with very little waiting, AND rode Splash Mountain (2 times, no waiting) BTMRR, Haunted Mansion, POC, Space Mountain, and Buzz Lightyear (2 times) AND we were back at our room at Pop by 11:30 am, where we picked up his brother and mom who had slept in and then went to another park for the afternoon. To be fair, it is easier to move quickly through the park with only 2 people in your party. But if you get there prior to opening and have a plan, you can easily do most attractions in MK before lunch.

We also enjoy going to the Evening EMH, in spite of the crowds, because we love being in the parks after dark, the later the better. We know it'll be crowded, but we expect it, and don't try to get in a rush and just enjoy the atmosphere.

1stitch
03-27-2009, 06:15 PM
We went last year and the early hours were really early, and by 10am we had rode every single ride in MK. Then we went back to the hotel and swam the rest of the afternoon, then headed back to the parks.

Maleficent's Dad
03-27-2009, 08:30 PM
DH and I decided it was best to avoid the parks with EMH - morning or evening. It seemed to really work in our favor in order to get more accomplished.
:ditto:

Morning EMH = insane crowds by 12 noon. :shake:
Evening EMH = insane crowds by 6 PM. :bang:

We avoid both EMH options and it works best for us. :plot:

Going2HeavenRU
03-28-2009, 08:57 PM
I agree that the morning EMH is much better especially since they are not using arm bands any more for the evening EMH.

In the morning, you can't enter the park unless you have your room key, but at night, the CM's don't really check the keys so anyone can stay and take advantage of the EMH.