PDA

View Full Version : DisneyorBust's March Getaway Day 3

DisneyorBust
03-25-2009, 07:57 PM
As reported by DisneyorBust's better half!
Day 3 – Half of us – DM and DD(17)

Well DD(17) and I were heading to Epcot today while DH and other DD(14) where heading to the clinic. DH will fill you in on that experience.

We headed toward El Centro. When we got there, it was packed. We decided to head to the bus stop by the Casita instead. El Centro was the last stop of the bus before it left the resort. The Casita was the first stop. We got the stop just as a bus pulled up. We got on – I think we were the only ones too! We made it back to El Centro and all the same folks where still there but there weren’t many seats left by that time. It pays to walk the extra distance sometimes for a seat. We headed to Epcot and basically were there within 10 mins.

Bag check was pretty empty so we breezed thru with no issues. The park had already opened but the lines to get in were still about 10-20 people deep at the turnstiles. So we jumped in what we thought was the shortest and before you knew it, we were in. There definitely was a different feel. No only because is was just part of our family but the others around us were in a rush. They seemed to be in hurry to get somewhere – anywhere. It was an odd feeling for me. DD(17) and I headed to SSE which is always our first ride. The line wasn’t too bad. It moved and before you knew it we were traveling back to earth. Didn’t stop in the Siemens playground though, we had limited time and the parks were crowded this time of year. Out we headed to Soarin. Thought we better get this in first but when we got there the wait was already 45 mins so we fast passed for later 12:15 to 12:45. We came out of the building and I said we should go hit TT but DD(17) said we had time so we headed to Nemo and then to Figment. After Figment we found some of the topiaries and took some pictures. We generally don’t get to see these. We’ve never been to WDW during the Food and Garden Festival. After the topiaries we cut thru Mousegears and browsed a bit heading to TT. We really should have come here direct after Soarin but it was DD(17) trip for her B-day and considering our other DD(14) was sick I was trying to do what b-day girl wanted. TT was almost a 60 min wait and it was too early for us to try for FPs.

So we headed to the WS. We arrived in Mexico just as the pavilion opened. There was a crowd of folks heading in there. We decided to bypass Mexico and head to Norway and Maelstrom. It was posted a 5 min wait and it was. There was a crowd but it was because it had just opened. After Maelstrom, we headed thru the countries to the America pavilion. DD(17) wanted the infamous burger, fries and chocolate cake!! She waited in line there while I headed to Morocco for a wrap. Once we both had food we met in the American pavilion and found a table. My wrap was delicious. DD(17) was happy with her chocolate cake! We checked in with the other half of the family periodically to find out what their progress was. I can tell you it was a very slow process. I think it took them about 1 hour just to sign in, do the paperwork and insurance information. Only to sit again and wait! More from them on this though.

We browsed thru the rest of the countries (quickly). I needed to get a few items as gifts and wanted to peruse the trinkets. I really thought that both of the halves of the family would meet up later and we’d have some time to do this. It never crossed my mind that once I left the countries after this quick browse that I’d not see them again this trip.

We took pictures along the way of all the flowers and topiaries. They were just beautiful and the smell was wonderful!! It was time for us to get another FP for TT so we headed there and got them. The return was 6:15!! Unbelievable! We’ve never experienced this type of crowd at Epcot – hence why we come during their “down” season. It was time for our Soarin FPs. So we headed that way again. The wait time was up to 90 mins now and the fast passes were at 6:15. There was no way that the other half would be able to ride if they showed up later. So I told DD(17) to ride and I was going to save my FP for either DD (14) or DH when (if) they came.

While DD(17) was Soaring I got the update from the other half. They were back in the treatment room and diagnosed. They had meds on board and in hand for our sick (14). Bad news – she was in no condition to come to a park. She had gotten back to the room and crashed. So DH and I decided that we should probably do a switch so that he could at the very least enjoy some of Epcot. We couldn’t leave sick DD(14) even though she was asleep because housekeeping had not arrived in our room yet. So DD(17) stayed until I arrived back at the room. This left DD(17) in the park by herself for a bit. I was a bit nervous. This was the first time we had ever left a family member alone. Crazy huh? She’s 17 – yes I’m an overprotective mom!!! She was fine in case you were worried!!

I arrived back at the room by about 2:00 and DH and I did the changing of the guard. DD(14) slept until about 4:00 PM when housekeeping came. The woman was so nice to us. She understood very little English but knew DD(14) was ill. She gave her new linens for her bed including comforter. She gave us new cups, all new towels, extra trash bags and extra Kleenex. DD(14) had bilateral ear infections and strep. I was worried that the rest of the family would get infected being in such close quarters.

Sidebar here: Now we had no idea that our DD(14) had strep but she did. The day prior she was in MK and she touched hand rails and all the common places that others touch. It was a real eye opener regarding this. We could have polluted a lot of people – for this we’re sorry, we didn’t know. So all you people out there with your Purell in your pocket --- I understand now where you’re coming from!! Next trip it’ll be me with a bottle .

After housekeeping left I asked DD(14) if she wanted to get some air, maybe something small to eat. She did so we headed out to the snack area of El Centro. She got a slice of pizza and I got a Panini. I think the total bill was about $22 – we didn’t get drinks (we had refillable mugs). I was shocked!! This is one reason why I do not think we’ll come back to the Coronado Springs Resort. Granted WDW is not cheap by any sense of the word but CSR is pricey. Everything seems to be about $2.00 more that other resorts to me but it is hard to make a straight comparison. CSR doesn’t offer the same selections as the Poly,GF, CR, and CBR. We do need to factor in also that we are normally on the dining plan so maybe we don’t pay as much attention either.

Given the pricing and the selection of food – we probably won’t return here. It just didn’t suit our family or our budget to our liking. The resort is beautiful but we are still great fans of the Poly with CBR coming in second.

DD(14) and I sat outside the Maya Grill for about 90 mins and enjoyed the atmosphere. She didn’t eat very much but I did get some into her and some fluids. Her color was back and she seemed more like herself. I was still secretly hoping for a return to Epcot for fireworks!!

We got back to the room about 6:30 – 6:45 and by 7:30 both DH and DD(17) where back too!! DD(17) was having issues with her knee. We’ve been doctoring for the last 2-3 months. So they returned for her to ice it for 30 mins. Well once she was done icing it, she was done for the day. There was no returning to Epcot for her. DD(14) still wasn’t up for the park. We really didn’t want to push her. It had been a long day for her and we needed her better for the following day (DD17) actual B-day and our flight home. DH asked me -- are you up for a quick trip back to Epcot for fireworks?

I really wanted to see fireworks but sitting there in the room with DD(14) sick and DD(17) with a bum knee – I just couldn’t leave them!! I stayed back with them incase they needed anything. I told DH to go – watch them. He almost didn’t go, but at the very last minute he did – he motored and made it!!

yourmagicalguide
03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Oh, my! What a day!

I'm so sorry that your youngest was sick :( At least she was looking a bit better later in the day, though.

Despite the waits, it sounds like you got quite a bit accomplished in Epcot. Sorry you couldn't see IllumiNations - it really was fantastic and the best firework display DH and I saw when we visited. Still sounded like a good day, nonetheless :)

Off to read your husband's version of the day...

faline
03-27-2009, 02:25 PM
It's really hard to have a sick child - harder still, when it occurs on vacation. I'm sorry! Though you made it to a park, I'm sure it was as much fun as you had hoped it would be!

vizsla
03-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the report.

Bethis26fan
03-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Your poor family. Thanks for sharing your day.

pdrlkr
03-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the Report!

sleepingbooty
04-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Oh my, what a bummer of a day! I hope things get better!

thrillme
04-02-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm sooooo sorry your youngest is so sick:pixie: I hope she feels better soon. That is such a bummer for her.

I know what you mean about CSR. We did that last year. WOW...we were on the dining plan but we figured it up. I think we would have spent nearly $100 for the 3 of us. And our food was between "adequate" and TERRIBLE (I just can't forgive the Chicken Alfredo where the chicken was so tough you could barely chew it and the steak that was more fat that steak with the rubber potato side :ack:).