PDA

View Full Version : tell me everything good and bad, about POR

tinkerddeedee
03-25-2009, 07:54 PM
This is my official first post on these boards-yay:cloud9:
So, we are going to DW 5/9-5/16 and are staying at POR. It is our first time on site and I am so excited!!! I chose this resort because a-we NEEDED a resort with a jacuzzi so all stars were out :(
b-we need a resort that accomodates 5 people.
Those were the 2 major reasons. I also didn't want to go up in price for the delux resorts. We are staying in the AB section.
So, I am asking for ALL opinions/tips/info on Port Orleans Riverside!!! Please!!!!!:confused:
Thank you!:mickey:

Seasonscraps
03-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Welcome to Intercot!!

POR is my favorite moderate resort!

Good:
beautiful theme
huge gift shop
Bob Jackson - sing along piano player that performs in the River Roost lounge. So much fun for the whole family!!
Boatrights is a nice place for a good hearty meal.
Newly renovated food court
there's a boat to Downtown Disney
they have a covered pool bar - great for getting out of the sun or rain.

Bad:
it's a large resort and it may be a long walk to the main building
they share a bus with FQ so it may be crowded when it gets to POR

Enjoy your vacation! :mickey:

tinkerddeedee
03-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I've read that it is quite large. I'm hoping that we will be in good enough shape:blush: from chasing my 3 year old! Plus, we're driving so I guess we could drive somewhere if we really need to~
Thanks for the info!

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Christine pretty well covered the good and bad points.
It is a beautiful resort, probably just beating out CSR as our favorite moderate.
We love the mansions although it is a fairly long walk to the bus stop from some of them.

My one suggestion would be to avoid trying to catch the bus back from the MK right at closing time. We have seen some horrendous lines. :jaw:

tinkerddeedee
03-26-2009, 07:19 AM
so you would recommend waiting a little while, not rushing out the gates along with everyone else? can you still ride the rides while this is happening?

tinkerddeedee
03-26-2009, 07:20 AM
or possibly leaving a little early~

ojeilatan
03-26-2009, 01:06 PM
This is where we stayed for our first trip, two summers ago! I absolutely adored it, and we would be staying there again this June had we not decided to do some extra saving in advance for AKL.

Good:
-Landscaping is unmatched. I can't even explain how beautiful the grounds are.
-Food court was great for quick meals. Best oatmeal I've ever had!
-We found the resort to be nice and quiet; minus the frogs outside our AB room. They woke us up 3 one morning literally screaming. But it was just so funny to us that we weren't bothered.
-We never waited more than 20 min for a bus; it was normally 5 min or less. Getting to DHS was the longest wait for a bus.
-Very friendly staff and mousekeeping.

Bad:
-Little bit of a walk from AB rooms to food court, bus stops, etc.
-Wait for buses from DTD back to the hotel was awful. But this could have just been our week.
-Rooms a little cramped, but then again, we had a lot of stuff. Still very comfortable.

Have a great stay! You'll love it!:thumbsup:

4ubie1
03-26-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with POR. I had an excellent experience there. Nice quiet atmosphere was :cloud9: after a long day in the parks. I would recommend NOT getting a water view room. The walkways are on the outside of the mansions so in order to see water out your window, you have to look past the walkway (and railing if you are on the second floor like I was). Just not worth the extra money in my opinion. Another downside was sharing a bus with POFQ. Like they mentioned before, the two resorts share a bus and POR is second to be picked up. BUT since you will be driving, I don't think you will have to worry about it. Just keep it in mind if you are thinking of taking the bus. It also can be a bit of a :walk: to get around the resort but if you are not in a hurry, it can be quiet peaceful.

I think you will enjoy POR and have a great trip!:thumbsup:

tdk316
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
We've stayed at POR and liked it. You won't be unhappy with your choice plus you can walk (or ride the bus) over to POFQ for some beignets!

felix18
03-26-2009, 06:07 PM
And don't forget the boat ride to Down Town Disney-real nice ride-about 20 minutes. Stayed in the AB section and really liked it, grandson used the trundle bed and thought it was the greatest thing!! Walk over to POFQ is a nice walk along the river, we walk back and forth depending which Resort we are staying in.
Welcome to Intercot and have a great trip :mickey:

tinkerddeedee
03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
thank you!:thumbsup:

how long would you guys say, it takes to walk over to pofq?

mom2morgan
03-27-2009, 09:35 PM
thank you!:thumbsup:

how long would you guys say, it takes to walk over to pofq?

Maybe 15 minutes? it's not far, and it's a nice walk along the river, but I've never done it myself since more walking I DON'T need - my feet get blistered enough! We did take the carriage ride, though and I know that horse wasn't moving any faster than I can walk! LOL

CaptSmee
03-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I can't think of much good to say. It has a nice main pool.

As for the bad:

Crowded buses, long bus rides. The buses make a circuit starting at FQ then all the way around Riverside. We stood more on the bus at this resort than any other we've ever stayed.

Layout. It's huge, sprawling, with what seems to be no planning. There is no centralized location that's convenient for food, gift ships, ect.

TwinniesNMeLoveWDW
03-30-2009, 10:31 AM
We've stayed at POR twice, once in an AB room and once in a mansion room. It is beautiful, especially the landscaping. Yes, it is somewhat spread out, but I don't mind that because it gives a feeling of remoteness. We love POFQ too. Very nice to be outside there first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee!

mom2morgan
03-30-2009, 05:42 PM
I really,really like POR. In fact, the only really NEGATIVE thing I can say about it is..I'm not there right now! Any complaints I've had are pretty minor, and any place is better than NOT being in DIsney ;-)

danicafan
03-30-2009, 05:48 PM
:mickey:I can't wait to get there in July, it will be my first time at POR. Just booked our trip last night for July 3-10th!!! 2nd trip this year with the buy 4 get 3 promo!!