PDA

View Full Version : Free Dining to be Announced...

Nini5055
03-25-2009, 09:30 AM
If this has already been posted...please excuse my excitement.

I just read last night that there is a rumor from a "highly reputable" source (the link was posted, I will get it tonight unless someone else saw it), that Free Dining will be announced to Disney Visa Holders on March 26th and to the General Public on March 30th.

The dates (if I remember correctly) were something like August 15th through the entire month of September.

Again, I should have written it down because I don't have access to those sites while at work. :secret:

It just sounded like it was a sure thing!!! I am going to see if I can plan a long weekend at POP. :mickey:

elmjimmlm
03-25-2009, 09:47 AM
So if this is true then here is a ?
If we would check out on the 15th of Aug. would it be possible to get free dining with our trip...We now have the 4 get 3 free but I know a while back I had read that if any of your days fall within the timeline of free dining you could get it for your entire stay... I could have been dreaming and thought that I had read that so, what do you think? I know for us free dining would be more a savings than 4 and 3...

Tink1
03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Once the official word is given, I post all offers in the accommodations forum. Due to our relationship with Disney, we will not post rumors.

If you are traveling during a promotional period, but your travel begins prior to the start date of the promotion- you can split your reservation into 2. If both are packages, you must have ticket media on each package. You have to check out and check back in on the day of your second start date. Disney does what they can to keep you in the same room, but will not guarantee it.

There are times that splitting the reservation makes great economic sense, and times it does not.

Hope that helps

Nanc

TheRustyScupper
03-25-2009, 12:24 PM
. . . We now have the 4 get 3 free but I know a while back I had read that if any of your days fall within the timeline of free dining you could get it for your entire stay... I could have been dreaming and thought that I had read that so, what do you think? I know for us free dining would be more a savings than 4 and 3...

1) Usually, free dining requires rooms at rack-rate.
2) We will have to see.
3) Plus,
. . . Values may not be included *
. . . Mods might have CS dining plan *
. . . Deluxes might have TS dining plan *

* This is the UK Free DIning plan, so USA might be same or different.

phlo8810
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
If you book a trip with the free dining can you pay the difference to upgrade the dining plan?

lockedoutlogic
03-25-2009, 01:38 PM
1) Usually, free dining requires rooms at rack-rate.
2) We will have to see.
3) Plus,
. . . Values may not be included *
. . . Mods might have CS dining plan *
. . . Deluxes might have TS dining plan *

* This is the UK Free DIning plan, so USA might be same or different.

if those are the details...then this promotion finally is fair to all the travelers....

In the past, it has been just to pack as many on the ship as they can get...

this one seems to be...spend more, get more....

Which is appropriate

Figment!
03-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Since "Free Dining" is a discounted vacation package and not a different Dining Plan, I'm going to move this over to the Accommodations forum for further discussion.

scoot241
03-25-2009, 01:53 PM
if those are the details...then this promotion finally is fair to all the travelers....

Which is appropriate

The free dining PIN codes that came out earlier this year, however, were the normal free dining promotion. No matter where you booked, the price was basically the amount you would have paid without dining, and it included the normal dining plan.

While I know that those are PIN codes and not a promotion available to everyone, right now I'm leaning toward this promotion being available rather than the tiered UK promotion.

elmjimmlm
03-25-2009, 02:00 PM

Which is appropriate

I am sure that I am not alone in thinking that this comment is not appropriate...
Do you feel that if you aren't paying deluxe that you don't deserve anything more than counter service dining? I have 3 children and I don't want to pay the extra $$$ for a deluxe when I can use my money elsewhere...
Sorry to get off topic...;)

Nini5055
03-25-2009, 03:00 PM
It would be my guess (given past promos of Free Dining) that they will offer the Basic Dining Plan OR possibly attempt to promote their Counter Service Dining Plan.

Last year, it was the Basic Dining plann offered and YES you can pay the difference and upgrade to Deluxe Dining if you wanted...I did just that! I am sure the moderators will post and clarify any information regarding the promotion when/if it is officially announced.

I am just anxious to see if the Visa Free Dining is announed officially tomorrow...:cool:

okjac80
03-25-2009, 03:10 PM
we are going in Sept and already have a family suite booked at the All Star Music. We are a party of 7 (3 adults, 4 kids), so we were rather limited on where we can afford to stay.

We are getting the military discounted rooms at 40% off. Can we use the free dining IF it does indeed come out?

BMan62
03-25-2009, 03:23 PM
we are going in Sept and already have a family suite booked at the All Star Music. We are a party of 7 (3 adults, 4 kids), so we were rather limited on where we can afford to stay.

We are getting the military discounted rooms at 40% off. Can we use the free dining IF it does indeed come out?

I'm not sure how military discounts work, but the norm is that you get one discount per stay. If you have discounted rooms, you cannot get 'free' DDP.

TiggerD
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
I am a Disney Visa Holder so I am waiting for the announcement and if it is true, I will be a happy camper because we are going to go in September from the 10-19th and staying at Pop.:mickey:

BMan62
03-25-2009, 03:44 PM
DW has been seriously thinking about cancelling our cruise for this coming October in lieu of a trip to WDW. This may be the decider. Although, if this is a tiered offer (as has been rumored on another thread,) it might not be that enticing, as we like to stay "cheaply" and tend to book Pop Century for our trips.

I am, also, a Disney Visa holder, so am looking for e-mail in the morning!!

PixieMagic
03-25-2009, 04:35 PM
:joy::joy::joy::woohoo::yay: OMG OMG OMG - SO FREAKING EXCITED! I swear I will be up early just to check the card member site!!! WOO HOO!!!!

KayDee
03-25-2009, 06:30 PM
I would tend to believe this since CAA has already Emailed this offer to members for booking on march 30.

PixieMagic
03-25-2009, 06:43 PM
What's CAA???

KayDee
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
What's CAA???

A HAAA Thats AAA for Canadians CAA

PixieMagic
03-25-2009, 07:08 PM
he he - my bad! That's awesome HOORAY!!!

barnaby
03-25-2009, 08:56 PM
I am sure that I am not alone in thinking that this comment is not appropriate...
Do you feel that if you aren't paying deluxe that you don't deserve anything more than counter service dining? I have 3 children and I don't want to pay the extra $$$ for a deluxe when I can use my money elsewhere...

Nope, your'e not alone. ;)

tinksmom02
03-25-2009, 09:05 PM
We're booked Poly GVClub with a 40% discount. Pretty good deal, if I do say so myself.

Free Dining would be a savings of about $550 for the three of us. That's not even half of the PIN code savings.

We should stay put with what we have, right? I'm thinking that we'd have to switch hotels in order to make the free DDP more cost-effective than the PIN, and I'm NOT moving from Poly Club!!

I know Terrisue will do whatever will give us the best savings, but I've never had to decide between two discounts before LOL

I should stay at Poly GVCL, right? :mickey:
Thanks.

lockedoutlogic
03-25-2009, 09:13 PM

Please don't misunderstand me...

This is not a slight based on what people choose to spend on their vacations....I personally feel that traveling to disney and picking certain hotels, restaurants, souvenirs, and tickets is not a matter of budget....it is a matter of choice...

Because no matter what any commercials tell you....going to WDW is never....nor has ever been..."cheap".

My beef is with the hook of the free dining and the dining plan in general.

They take a beautiful, relaxing time of year and throw out the free dining line to try and overcrowd the resort....some periods should be slower, in my opinion....it allows times for travelers who don't like the "busy" times...such as myself

But i know it's about bucks.....

I have never liked any of the dining plans....again....they took a great reservation system in priority seating and destroyed it by packing restaruants to the gills....it takes away a little of what made disneyworld.....disney...

But that's another story....

I don't like "free dining" because it is a direct slap in the face to the 120,000 or so people (like me) that have made a longterm committment to disney's operation by purchasing DVC....

I don't agree with the "we got those people....so let's throw free food at those that might be on the fence"....it just seems like bad taste...

Now i know that disney is just looking to sell fish and doesn't equate free dining with timeshare.....but the practical reality is that it is completely useless to a core of the backbone clientele....in many ways to local residents as well....who often aren't looking to book 3+ nights of rooms with tickets to get some food....so it is useless there as well...to another part of the core clientele....

It seems as though giving more benefit to those that spend more money (due to just visiting more often, on average...) is just common business sense....but disney doesn't approach this one that way....

But i realize that my complaint is fundamentally personal.....so please accept my apology if i offended....that is not the intent

elmjimmlm
03-25-2009, 09:34 PM
But i realize that my complaint is fundamentally personal.....so please accept my apology if i offended....that is not the intent

I guess I read too much into your comment and I am sorry for the response...
I would love to have free dining just for the fact that my kids are growing and I have to pay an adult price for children without adult appetites...
I also don't like having to preplan my every move 3-6 months before I get there but I just look at it as "I am going to Disney World":woohoo:

BMan62
03-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Because no matter what any commercials tell you....going to WDW is never....nor has ever been..."cheap".

So true, but it is a moderately priced vacation.

They take a beautiful, relaxing time of year and throw out the free dining line to try and overcrowd the resort....some periods should be slower, in my opinion....it allows times for travelers who don't like the "busy" times...such as myself

Although, DW and I like the "free DDP" I can agree with your point about having a planned 'slow' period for those who would rather see smaller crowds. Unfortunately, like you and many others have said, Disney is a business and as we all know "Money Talks, Bull---- Walks." Disney BoD only cares about 'the Benjamins.'

I don't like "free dining" because it is a direct slap in the face to the 120,000 or so people (like me) that have made a longterm committment to disney's operation by purchasing DVC....

Look at this another way, DVC members are a slap in the face to literally millions who cannot afford $20K initial investment and $1K/year in maintenance fees to lock in accommodations. [On a similar note, why is it that you haven't been flaming the 4+3 deal as being unfair to the DVC members? I mean, since DVC rooms are quickly approaching half the number of total rooms on property, shouldn't they receive more bonuses (a la AIG?) ;) ]

Please don't take offense to my comments, they are not meant as a personal affront, just giving another viewpoint.

motherof4
03-26-2009, 08:25 AM
I have res for aug 18 until sept 1 in all star music I wonder if I would get all 14 days free that would be great!!and I also wonder if it is the normal basic dp or just the quick service even that free would be awesome I can't wait until mar 30 this is so exciting

jusandnew
03-26-2009, 08:43 AM
My family has res for August 14-21. This is part of the 4+3 deal. Will we be able to get the free dining for the dates after August 16th too, since it will fall in the free dining deal?
If we could it would be the best vacation we can take.

Mickey91
03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
I have taken advantage of this for so many years that it is very hard to see it pop up and not race to the phone for my ressies!!:(

Enjoy everyone!!!

LandFan
03-26-2009, 08:59 AM
I took advantage of free dining in '05 and '06 but we haven't been able to do it since so I am greatly looking forward to it again!!

Here we come: Aug 16th - Aug 22nd.:D

lockedoutlogic
03-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Look at this another way, DVC members are a slap in the face to literally millions who cannot afford $20K initial investment and $1K/year in maintenance fees to lock in accommodations. [On a similar note, why is it that you haven't been flaming the 4+3 deal as being unfair to the DVC members? I mean, since DVC rooms are quickly approaching half the number of total rooms on property, shouldn't they receive more bonuses (a la AIG?) ;) ]

Ah yes.....but we're talking about "free" dining (yes...i know it's not "free"...but it is "severely discounted")

The thing is that I paid for the DVC...and will continue to for the better part of the next century.....
Nobody called me from DVC and said "well...since we're dead (slow).....we'll let you eat if you buy our timeshare"

Isn't that what free dining is? a schedule filler that is only available to "on the fence" travelers?

The 4/3 thing is for the special economic circumstances...now....I have no problem with promotions designed to stop losses....

Free Dining is not that....it was offered when the place was already slammed the rest of the year....it really is disney saying "Well...thanks to everyone who comes the rest of the year...many multiple times....and pay for everything...usually at full price.....but september is dead because the kids are in school (THE NERVE OF THOSE SCHOOLS!!!!)...so we are going to include perks that are not available at any other time of the year....to anyone....including the biggest repeat offenders"

Again....grain of salt.....i just can't quite get comfortable with the the idea that this is offered year after year....it's a personal thing....

I'm sure my opinion will not affect a single person's utilization or enjoyment of the promo

BMan62
03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
My family has res for August 14-21. This is part of the 4+3 deal. Will we be able to get the free dining for the dates after August 16th too, since it will fall in the free dining deal?
If we could it would be the best vacation we can take.

One or the other, not both.

BMan62
03-26-2009, 09:57 AM
The 4/3 thing is for the special economic circumstances...now....I have no problem with promotions designed to stop losses....

Free Dining is not that....it was offered when the place was already slammed the rest of the year....it really is Disney saying "Well...thanks to everyone who comes the rest of the year...many multiple times....and pay for everything...usually at full price.....but september is dead because the kids are in school (THE NERVE OF THOSE SCHOOLS!!!!)...so we are going to include perks that are not available at any other time of the year....to anyone....including the biggest repeat offenders"

Oh, I fully understand your consternation, but think of it in a business aspect - It IS a stop-loss situation for them. Prior to this economic downturn, 3 quarters of the fiscal year, they have bookings ranging from 85% - 95% of capacity, (This is a guesstimate on my part, I don't know the actual numbers.) In the 4th fiscal quarter, bookings are down in the 75% - 85% range. They NEED to find a way to get bookings up to inflate their bottom line - get it closer to the other 3 quarters - or stockholders will be out with their torches and pitchforks. "The market" hates big changes in quarterly numbers, whether they are cyclical and explainable or not.

Granted, the "Free DDP" promotion is meant to get occupancy rates up, rather than actual income, but as long as there are bodies in the rooms, it is justified (at least by the number crunchers) to believe that income will rise as well.

I'm sure my opinion will not affect a single person's utilization or enjoyment of the promo

Again, right, wrong or indifferent, I fully agree with you on this point.

PixieMagic
03-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks for posting this - I seriously couldn't sleep last night I was so excited to get up and book!!!

BugeyedMuggy
03-29-2009, 07:47 AM
I really appricated the heads up on the free dining for visa holders. You were the first to give us a heads up. We booked and got the exact times & hotel we wanted. If you wouldn't mind private messaging me if you recall the site you saw the info on I would be so happy. Thanks again Nani 5055.

garymacd
03-29-2009, 12:20 PM
he he - my bad! That's awesome HOORAY!!!

:confused:

It's awesome that there is free dining, or that Canada has our own Automobile Club?

Didn't think someone would be so excited about that.

Mom2princesses
03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Hope everyone has a great time with the Free Dining. I have the 4/3 deal and decided to compare it to the free dining offer. For us, staying at the Poly we still save $400+ more with the 4/3 deal. So we will be keeping our current ressies.

Nini5055
03-31-2009, 08:51 AM
I know that Mousesavers did a comparison between the 4/3 and the Free Dining. It was found that if you are staying at a Deluxe resort, then the 4/3 is a much better deal and if you are staying at a Value resort, the Free Dining is a great deal!!!

I already had 4/3 booked with the Grand Floridian (couldn't do it otherwise)...I may make it back for the Free Dining. It depends on my work schedule. :thedolls:

I am also happy with the 4/3 deal and thought the Free Dining (stayed at POP) last year was AWESOME!!!! :thumbsup: