PDA

View Full Version : several questions from a first timer...

okjac80
03-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi there!
We are going to WDW for our first time
Sept 7-11. Is that late enough into the year for there to be less crowds, or do you think we shoud push it back a little? I homeschool, so school isn't an issue.

Also, we are staying at the All Star Music Resort family suites. There will be me, my husband, my 4 kids ages 8,6,4, and 2, and my 20 yr old sister. Is the room big enough? If not,what would you suggest?

Also, we are trying to figure out where to eat. We are doing the dining plan by the way. We are taking advantage of being able to add the park hopper for $25 a ticket (military). So, do you pick restraunts in the park you are visiting that day? Or does it matter? We are wanting to do character dining for the kids.

Lastly, what 1 credit restraunt would you suggest for princess dining? It is my understanding there are several.

THANKS A TON!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Wow! The first trip is always so exciting. Of course, I got engaged on my first trip, so I'm a little biased!

The only place for 1 credit to see a lot of the princess is the Storybook Dining in Norway. It is quite nice, and well worth the 1-TS credit. You can see Cinderella, the Prince and the Stepsisters at 1900 Park Fare, but there won't be any of the other princesses. However, Cinderella isn't at Norway, so if she's the one you want to meet, you'll have to try Park Fare, or pay cash to eat in the castle (it isn't worth the 2 credits!)

Since you have the park hopper ticket, it isn't as importat to eat in the same park you'll be in for the day, but it does make it easier, especially since you're travelling with kids. In our family, we read the menus and reviews and then come up with a list of places that we would like to eat. Once park hours come out, we try and match restaurants to where we'll be. We love eating in Epcot, so we usually end up making a couple extra trips there :)

There are tons of character meals, just depends on who you want to eat with! We have a great time at Donald's Breakfast in AK last trip, we love Crystal Palace in MK, and enjoy dinner at the Garden Grill in Epcot.

It is really important to make your ADR's as early as possible for all sit-down meals, so you can eat where you want, especially with a larger group. You don't want to be caught not being able to find a place to eat with the kids, they'd get cranky ;)

I've never been to Disney after Labour Day, but we've been twice in late August (20 - 30), and even then the crowds are significantly less than the weeks before, so I think you'll be just fine.

Enjoy your trip :mickey:

KayDee
03-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Well because time is always important I would suggest some character buffets ie Crystal Palace,Chef Mickeys and 1900 Park Fare.
Also a question do you know what free dining is?

Nini5055
03-25-2009, 09:24 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!!!

I just want to give you a "Heads Up"...you are going to be going during the Free Dining Promotion...you should definately look for that. I saw the rumor that it was to be released to Disney Visa Holders on March 26th and then to General Public on March 30th. It is a great deal for larger families and especially when you stay at the values. :thumbsup:

Hold onto your hats!!!! We went last year (stayed at POP) during free dining and it was AWESOME!!!! We actually got the free dining basis plan and upgraded to deluxe (we just paid the difference for the upgrade). I hear the All Star Suites are very nice.

For the Princess Dining suggestion...it would be Princess Storybook Dining in Akershus located in the World Showcase Pavillion in the country of Norway! :thumbsup: We have NEVER been disappointed...my dd7 loves this one. ALSO...you get to have a Free Photo with the Hosting Princess. Last year it was Ariel and we have also had Belle. The price of the photo is included with your meal at that particular dining event...doesn't matter if it is breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Should you need any assistance, PM me your email and I can forward the Dining/Park Spreadsheet I made for our trip. I have it broken down per day...I'm a planner!!!:blush:

yjgirl32
03-25-2009, 09:33 AM
we too are going down around this time. The 7th happens to be our anniversary. I agree with what the others have said, but would like to include one thing- in case :fingers: the characters come back to Liberty Tree Tavern (LTT) then I would definately go to this character dining. It was very nice in my opinion. Have a great trip.

okjac80
03-25-2009, 09:40 AM
yippie! We were hoping for free dining! I heard someone say that the suites aren't included though?? Is that the way it has been in the past?

We are history buffs at our house and we were so sad to learn about the Liberty Tree. I REALLY hope they come back!!

Nini5055
03-25-2009, 10:01 AM
NOTE: Once the FD Promo is officially announced it will be posted in the Dining section.

Hopefully my information is/was correct. Just keep your eyes and ears :mickey: open.

Strmchsr
03-25-2009, 10:48 AM
yippie! We were hoping for free dining! I heard someone say that the suites aren't included though?? Is that the way it has been in the past?

Yes, that's the way it's always been. The suites are not discountable. Usually 2 connecting rooms is cheaper than 1 suite.

As for crowds, they have increased significantly with the "free" dining promotion and the restaurants are just nuts, but overall the wait times for rides aren't bad. Just be sure you have all your ADRs ready as well as second and third choices. If (and it's still a big if) they offer the "free" dining promotion again then every person visiting WDW will be on the dining plan making it difficult to get in to the more popular places (as if it isn't already).

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

7swans
03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Another option that might appeal to your kiddos are the Character breakfasts at Crystal Palace @ MK, Tusker House @ AK, and the Akerhaus Princess breakfast @ Epcot, which if you book the earliest seating will gain entrance for your group to the park prior to its opening for the day. Which is pretty neat, especially at MK, seeing Main Street nearly deserted is cool. Plus you will be finished as the park opens & well situated to be ahead of the crowds.

Ohanas at the Polynesian is a good choice for families, as is Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge.

disneymom2000
03-26-2009, 07:36 PM
During free dining you need to choose your restaurants but always have a backup because the reservations fill up quick. Make your reservations as soon as possible. If you don't get what you want you can use your back-up restaurants then keep calling back at least once a week due to some people cancelling. The only thing you need to remember is if you call back later and get what you want, please free up your previous reservation in case someone else is waiting for that particular time for that restaurant.:thumbsup:

GoofyforFun
03-27-2009, 09:43 PM
:welcome::welcome: I agree for the BF in Norway. a lot of character activity and a pretty good meal, (Family Style).
We always tried to eat in the parks or a close resort . If you start to plan, look at some menus and see what everyone likes to eat. Depending on when you get in the first day /night you may just do a dinner and relax.. we have always done a dinner and try to watch Wishes.
A good one is CP in MK ( pooh and friends) early am ressie and get into the park before everyone and get some great photo opps in front of the castle.. Also check out photopass and get as many as you can.
keep the Homeschool movement going.:thumbsup: