PDA

View Full Version : Which Deluxe for One Night?

Janet89
03-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Here's my scenario: I was out-voted 2-1 on Disney.:( We are visiting Clearwater Beach, then Discovery Cove (at DS request). We will stay over in Orlando after DC. I was thinking of booking at a Hilton or Marriott property to get points, but realized I have enough Disney Visa rewards to stay at a Disney Deluxe!:thumbsup:

We won't be using the parks, just enjoying the resort, pool and food associated with the resort. Granted, it will be for one night, so basically sometime after 6:00 p.m. until check-out. . . .

I have posted a poll. My choices are Contemporary (OK, on this one I would probably have to buck up extra $$ to get the MK view), Poly Garden View, Beach Club, Boardwalk and AKL. I didn't include WL because we've stayed there before.

CanadianWDWFan
03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Stay at the Poly!! You will be able to watch Wishes from the pool area as well as catch the the Electrical Water Pagent (http://http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/accomodations/electricalwaterpagent.asp) that floats by every night. Plus you can have dinner at 'Ohana's or the Kona Cafe.

Nini5055
03-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Well, I was torn between them all!!! :blush:

But for your purpose I would definately pick the Beach Club as they have the awesome pool!!! You can also enjoy access to the Boardwalk and restaurants there AND get a little WDW Magic by having a character breakfast at Cape May Cafe. :mickey:

Please let us know what YOU decide!

MMFreak
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I would have chosen the Grand Floridian:)

c&d
03-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I chose AKL, I always found it to be a relaxing resort. Sitting on the balcony watching the animals.

Janet89
03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Can you see some of Illuminations from Beach Club/Boardwalk?

Grand Flo did cross my mind, but I don't think it is DH or DS's style.:secret:

Right now, I am leaning toward the MK resorts . . .

gerald72
03-24-2009, 04:56 PM
I would pick the Beach Club for the night. That would be two days of Stormalong Bay.
Let us know what you decide.

WishingStar2006
03-24-2009, 04:57 PM
You didnt say when you were going. The pool area at the Contemporary is "under construction" so that would probably eliminate it from the competition. Also, I'm not crazy about the new TS restaurant there, The Wave. I say all this because I voted for the Contemporary before I read your post!!!

I think I would have to agree with the Poly vote. I have never stayed there but I think it meets all of your criteria and as previous posters have said, you cn watch Wishes from the beach, the pool area is fun and you have O'Hana's and/or Kona Cafe.

Whatever you decide, have a great time...one night is better than no night!!!!

Dulcee
03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I chose Poly as I love that resort. However, in thinking on your OP if your DS is really into animals I'd go animal kingdom lodge. Besides the pool, Jikos, Bomas, you get the "zoo" experince.

MistressGracey999
03-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I chose Poly. Even though we have never stayed there (yet!) we did spend a fabulous evening at this resort enjoying dinner at O'hana, and the Electric Water Pageant (?) from the shore of the Poly beach (in hammocks!). The EWP starts at 9ish, I believe. We had so much fun, we are doing it again this year.

Also, the pool area at this resort looked wonderfully fun!

Janet89
03-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, if the Contemporary pool is under const., we probably won't want to stay there. We will be going in July so it will be HOT.:thedolls:

MickeyMousse
03-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I've voted for the Beach Club. Great pool, you can watch Illuminations from a chair or swing on the beach and you have wonderful choices in dining there or on the boardwalk.

Can't wait to see what you choose!:mickey:

SBETigg
03-24-2009, 06:13 PM
I would choose the Poly of your listed choices. It almost feels like you're in the MK even though you won't be going to the park. You'll still have Wishes and Electrical Water Pageant, and that wonderful beach and pool area. Oh, and Dole Whips at Captain Cook's.

PixieMagic
03-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Hands down - POLY!!!!! The ambiance is amazing - the lagoon wonderful to sit by in a hammock at night....you could eat at OHANA which is fab and VERY filling....and you still get your fix of Disney Fireworks from the beach + the electric water parade...top it off with breakfast at Captain Cooks watching the beauty of it all...and DS will love the pool and volcano slide (you can even hear poly music underwater!) It really just cannot be beat.... :cloud9:

grumpydude
03-24-2009, 08:56 PM
I Didn't see WL:number1::spoiler:

Mackflava99
03-24-2009, 09:03 PM
one night - i'd take poly for food options- plus you can ride the monorail and visit the Contemporary too
If you were visiting parks i'd say beach club-
cause you can walk to Epcot

kakn7294
03-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Having never stayed at any of those, I'd choose the Poly to enjoy the pool and beach, Wishes, and the Electric Water Pageant not to mention the great food options. My second choice would be AKL with a Savannah view.

thejens
03-24-2009, 11:04 PM
The Poly is certainly a good choice and is leading here, but I voted for AKL for a few reasons. One, I think it is the most immersive theme. The animals, the African decor and artifacts, the music etc. Two, I might feel sad to be at the Poly and see MK and not be able to go. For me it would be too much of a tease. Three, I love the pool area, jacuzzis among birds and animals, Boma and Jiko!!! I guess to me the other resorts are too tied into the parks, I couldn't stand to be so close to Epcot at the Beach Club or to MK at Poly and Contemporary and then not get to go. AKL is wonderful all on its own. I hope you let us know which you choose!

Mickey91
03-24-2009, 11:17 PM
For one night I would have to go to the Poly.:mickey:

Aggie97
03-24-2009, 11:25 PM
I would stay at the Polynesian and have a fun dinner at 'Ohana, enjoy the resort shops, and watch Wishes and the Electric Water Pageant from the beach, ending the evening with a Dole Whip from Captain Cook's. The next day, I would do some combination of a character breakfast at 'Ohana, 1900 PF, or Chef Mickey's (or Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe); a ride on the monorail to visit and shop at the CR and GF; and a swim in the volcano pool. Have a great time! :mickey:

SBETigg
03-25-2009, 08:12 AM
I would stay at the Polynesian and have a fun dinner at 'Ohana, enjoy the resort shops, and watch Wishes and the Electric Water Pageant from the beach, ending the evening with a Dole Whip from Captain Cook's. The next day, I would do some combination of a character breakfast at 'Ohana, 1900 PF, or Chef Mickey's (or Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe); a ride on the monorail to visit and shop at the CR and GF; and a swim in the volcano pool. Have a great time! :mickey:

Exactly! Great plan, April. I would also ride the monorail to Epcot and around and back, just for fun. I love that glimpse of World Showcase.

But as others have mentioned, if this is too much torture, to be that close and not go to parks, then maybe AKL is a better choice. But I like being close even if I can't go in to parks. It's a thrill just to see it all, for me.

moe513
03-25-2009, 08:45 AM
I choose AKL. I would never pick to stay there because of the location but for one night its a great time to try it.

Disnamic Duo
03-25-2009, 10:29 AM
The Poly is certainly a good choice and is leading here, but I voted for AKL for a few reasons. One, I think it is the most immersive theme. The animals, the African decor and artifacts, the music etc. Two, I might feel sad to be at the Poly and see MK and not be able to go. For me it would be too much of a tease. Three, I love the pool area, jacuzzis among birds and animals, Boma and Jiko!!! I guess to me the other resorts are too tied into the parks, I couldn't stand to be so close to Epcot at the Beach Club or to MK at Poly and Contemporary and then not get to go. AKL is wonderful all on its own. I hope you let us know which you choose!

My thoughts exactly. I'd choose the CR IF we could go to the MK. But I'd hate to be there, SEE everything so close-up and NOT go in. BW is another favorite of ours, but too close to EPCOT to not go. As you've said, AKL is an experience on it's own - GREAT theming, great views, great restaurants, great pool!

TikiLounger
03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Well, it was a difficult decision for me to pick between my two favorites, Poly and Beach Club...but...I think I'd opt for The Beach Club for it's proximity to Epcot and Stormalong Bay. Amazing! :mickey:

Luv Eeyore
03-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Beach Club! No resort pool can beat Stormalong Bay. There is also easy access to the Boardwalk, a short walk to Fantasia Gardens, ice cream at Beaches and Cream.... I could go on and on.

Disney_Barbie
03-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I'd get a new family. One that voted for disney trips. Haha! J/K
seriously thought it seems like torchure to me to be SO CLOSE to the magic but not actually get to go inside the park gates!
If possible, (if your fam will agree to it in the future & if your DV points are not about to expire) I think I would save up the points until you could do a real trip.
But that's just me, I've been in central FL once or twice BUT not going to disney (ya'know passing thru briefly) and it hurts my heart when I even see billboards and stuff. If I can't have an all-out disney trip, I prefer to pretend it doesn't even exist

Janet89
03-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Some of my DV point WILL expire. I hate to lose even $1 of them, they took so long to build up! :blush:

I had thought about the being so close and not going to the parks, but none of us like heat very well without the ability to get wet (and this will be July). Especially DS!! I even think he would choose a pool over the parks any day! But, when we get there, who knows? We may all decide to visit a park in the a.m. before we have to catch our flight out in the evening.

I have to say I'm really leaning toward Poly. I really have been from the start, but, not having stayed at any of these resorts, I knew some of you would have other advice that I might not have thought of. The thought of watching Wishes from across the Lake really appeals to me. Poly is DS's vote, too.

Janet89
03-25-2009, 07:06 PM
I have been reading re the Poly since arriving home. I ran across a review that concerns me, though. Watching Wishes from the beach would be awesome, but, in the review, the poster made the comment about how crowded it was with people watching on the beach. People are fine, but I don't want to have to fight for a spot! Any experiences?

SBETigg
03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
I have been reading re the Poly since arriving home. I ran across a review that concerns me, though. Watching Wishes from the beach would be awesome, but, in the review, the poster made the comment about how crowded it was with people watching on the beach. People are fine, but I don't want to have to fight for a spot! Any experiences?

I've never encountered big crowds on the Poly beach or had to fight for a spot. When we've been there, there were always plenty of empty chairs and space. It does get more crowded near the pool area, but there's plenty of beach to spread out and I can't imagine it's throngs of people out across the whole beach area, ever.

tinksmom02
03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
My initial response was Poly, but after reading your post I voted for Beach Club. The pool is supposed to be awesome and you're pretty close to the Boardwalk, as well. Someone else mentioned the Cape May Cafe, which would give you some character interaction.

Mousemates
03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Since your sig doesn't have where you've stayed in the past...if you've never stayed at the AKL then I would go there...your not going to be in the parks so the remoteness of it won't be a problem...and you'll have pelnty of time ot enjoy the lobby, pool and of course the savannahs.

dtootsie42
03-25-2009, 11:20 PM
The Poly for sure....great food choices, nice pools, you can go and visit the contemporary or the Grand Floridian, you can watch the fireworks from the beach and see the Water Parade. It will be magical even if you are only there for one night.

DisneyorBust
03-26-2009, 07:41 AM
I am biased towards the Polynesian, it's my favorite resort.
That being said, you can view WISHES! from the beach (with audio), Electric Water Pageant and dining at 'Ohanas and Kona Cafe. The pools are great and if you choose to swim in the volcano pool, you can hear the Polynesian music being played under the water. It's also easy to hop on the Monorail (preferrably up front with the Pilot) for a nice riding tour of the resort loop.

yjgirl32
03-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I love animals so this was a no brainer for me. I would love to stay there just once. It looks really really nice and relaxing. Good luck with your decision.

Janet89
03-26-2009, 10:47 AM
I've been researching more. :blush: I've pretty much ruled out the Boardwalk. I thought we were pretty much set with the Poly, but . . . . in my searching I've discovered we could do AKL concierge (sunrise or sunset safari) for less than a garden view at the Poly. That Stormalong pool looks tempting too. :secret: So it's basically between those three. I did check out tripadvisor (LOVE that site). The rankings there are AKL, BC then Poly. I'm SO torn!

I had this trouble before when we stayed at WL! I'm terrible at choosing.

scootch713
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
I stayed at the Poly my first visit and then had to "downgrade" to a wing room at the Contemporary. Much to my surprise, we fell in LOVE with the Contemporary. When I took my niece with cancer the next year, we got an upgrade to a MK view room. It was UNBELIEVABLE. My daughters still talk about it to this day. So my vote is Contemporary MK view room all the way. But watch out as it will spoil you and nothing like it will ever compare in the future. We are doing DC too in November, I am super excited about it(probably moreso than my girls :) )

Janet89
03-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Scootch, I just wanted to comment on DCL. You will LOVE it. I think that was our best vacation ever. We were spoiled to the hilt. My picky DH even liked it. I think I would even pick that over the parks.:thumbsup:

MizMissy
03-26-2009, 02:25 PM
My thoughts exactly. I'd choose the CR IF we could go to the MK. But I'd hate to be there, SEE everything so close-up and NOT go in. BW is another favorite of ours, but too close to EPCOT to not go. As you've said, AKL is an experience on it's own - GREAT theming, great views, great restaurants, great pool!

I agree with Disnamic Duo and The Jens about picking AKL because it would be a completely separate resort experience without the temptation of being so close to the MAGIC :mickey:but not being able to participate in it. Also, not sure but the AKL offers a sunrise safari tour that's wonderful (I don't think you need park admission for it).

DawsonAR
03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I would choose the Poly. Gotta love it!

thejens
03-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I can't imagine the beach at the Poly being too crowded to see the fireworks. I suppose all the chairs could be taken, but there is plenty of beach to enjoy. While it was fun seeing the fireworks from the beach I still like them better in the park. I have stayed at Poly, BC and AKL. I do love the Poly and BC, for many reasons, but especially because of the proximity to parks. To me AKL is the only one that stands on its own. You can't go wrong tho, so don't stress it!:mickey:

CU Tiger
03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Of your choices, I would choose Poly. :thumbsup: My forvorite is WL.:mickey:

Janet89
03-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Ugh! New development. :( DH wants to invite FIL and MIL on this trip. They will not pay the $$ to stay at Disney, and don't have a Visa with rewards like me. I feel like this :thedolls: I feel like a terrible DIL, but, in a way, I hope they don't accept the invite. . . .

MizMissy
03-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Ugh! New development. :( DH wants to invite FIL and MIL on this trip. They will not pay the $$ to stay at Disney, and don't have a Visa with rewards like me. I feel like this :thedolls: I feel like a terrible DIL, but, in a way, I hope they don't accept the invite. . . .

Janet - you are only planning one night at a Disney resort! Don't let their joining you spoil the fun. Whether your night at Disney is beginning, middle or end of your trip, I think you can easily make a case for one night alone with your family -- and they might appreciate one night alone too!

Janet89
03-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks MizMissy! I did panic prematurely.:blush: DH and I had a discussion last night. I'm feeling much better about things!

I'm also posting another poll. I've narrowed it down to two choices.