PDA

View Full Version : Eating without ADRs?

psugoofy
03-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Is possiblt to just show up at a restaurant like Ohana without ADRs and still get a table. I am going in May and there are no ADRs available for the whole week. Should I bother trying to eat there, or just give up on it? What about the primetime cafe- same issue?
Thanks in adavance for any input.

joonyer
03-24-2009, 12:00 PM
For dinner, You might get lucky if you arrive early, well before the opening time or very late, just before closing, but there are no guarantees, as 'Ohana is one of the most popular dining experiences at WDW.
I would continue to call and check daily until you go and even after you check in to see if an ADR time has opened up due to a cancellation. You never know, you might get lucky. :yay:

I don't know about breakfast times.

Buddy08
03-24-2009, 12:03 PM
You could try and call to make ADR's 45 days out from your stay. I understand that when the final payment is due some people cancel their trips and this may open up some availabilities. Good luck:thumbsup:

KylesMom
03-24-2009, 12:13 PM
In all of the times we've tried to "walk up" to a dining location during the May/June/July timeframe at the resort restaurants, we've only been successful once - and that was Whispering Canyon Cafe a few years back.

If you're staying at the Poly & it won't be out of the way (if you are unsuccessful in getting a previously cancelled ressie), I'd say sure. However, I would not spend 30-40 minutes getting to the Poly, only for them to tell you they might be able to seat you in 1+ hour. Heck, we usually wait about an hour for our ADRs at Ohana, and that's with reservations!

Prime Time, I would stop by as soon as their doors open & see if they have anything available. If you're going to be at the Studios anyway, it can't hurt to check!

We're in the same boat with Sci-Fi for lunch in June . . .

cer
03-24-2009, 01:01 PM
I never have gone without reservations. I wouldn't recommend it - but that is just me, I don't like to gamble with things like that and wind up disappointed.

I HAVE changed a reservation the morning of, but I have never approached a podium without a reservation.

Very good advice from the other poster about calling 45 days before your trip.

Good luck!

Friend of Figment
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
If you are only 1 or 2, I have had good luck going when a place first opens and asking very nicely. You can eat at the bar in Prime Time with no reservation. The Wave at the Contemporary is a good bet too. Bon Apetite!

lockedoutlogic
03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't....

preplanning is tedious...and burdensome....and in many ways - reduces the enjoyment of the vacation....

But you take the risk of being disappointed at times.....which in my opinion is too big of a risk to take on something as expensive as a trip to WDW and SHOULD be relaxing....

Priority Seating was an effective way of combating this.....but they couldn't just let it be and rolled out a dining plan and maximum booking....

so here we are

javamama
03-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Out of curiosity what week in May are you headed there? I would keep trying things open up daily. I just got a character meal last week or the week before, so I know Narcoosse opened up the first week of May if that helps:)

psugoofy
03-25-2009, 06:57 AM
I am going the first week in May. Thanks for the advice. I will keep calling and hope something opens. Maybe I'll get lucky!

mouseketeer mom
03-25-2009, 07:55 AM
We ate at Ohana's 2 weeks ago. The group of people at the podium ahead of us showed up without an ADR and were given a beeper and seated shortly. This was briefly after opening, if that makes a difference.

#1donaldfan
03-25-2009, 12:26 PM
To answer your question, yes it is possible, but your wait time may be very long...

....we walked in to WCC last NYE with a fam of 5, so it is very possible.....our wait time was 20 minutes or so...luck of the draw I'm sure ....:mickey:

MickeyMousse
03-25-2009, 12:35 PM
We were able, as a party of 2, to walk up to Garden Grille and Crystal Palace without ADR's and get a table with about a 30 minutes wait. However, when we tried with a party of 4, forget it!

DANAM
03-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I had a simular problem with 'Ohana's and LeCellier last May. I called everyday in the car as I drove home from work. I may have called for 2 weeks and I finally got it. I would wait until the 45 day mark because that's when most people cancel. Good luck!!!

pamickeys
03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
this year we are staying at Contemporary and we can't even get in for breakfast at Chef Mickeys ALL WEEK LONG ! that is ridiculous, this obsession with ADR's has got to stop. how many people are double booking so they can have a back up plan? they should eliminate this huge albatross of 90 days for ADR's. we can't even get into Mickey's Backyard BBQ !we always go at this time of year, and never have we had this much difficulty.You would think that guests staying at that particular resort should get preference, not someone who is fast at dialing the phone 90 days out.What's the point of spending all of that money if someone from Allstar can get a res before a hotel guest? sorry about my rant, but this situation is gettig out of hand.

rkwctw
03-30-2009, 08:16 PM
I would not go to WDW without ADR during the summer with a group of more than two people. We called around 90 days out and go everything that we wanted. We had to adjust some of our dining times, but we are on vacation and can eat when we want.
Good luck.:mickey: