PDA

View Full Version : Should I use AirTran?

MindyMouse76
03-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Hello!

We will be going to Disney World in September for a week with my 4 year old Daughter (her first time!). We will be flying from Philadelphia. I was pretty set on using Southwest - but their flight information is not out yet for September. Not sure why I did, but I went to AirTran today (used them once before). They have a really really good deal today!!! I can get good flight times (and direct) ... It is under their "Web Special Rate" - which is 59 per person per direction. That comes to 417 total with tax for all three of us. Has anyone used them before? Am I OK with the "H Fare Class". I also noticed they now charge fees for the baggage. Not sure if I should take the deal or wait for Southwest costs to come up next month.

Any info would be great. We want a mid day flight on the arrival day and a late afternoon flight on the return day - which is what Airtran has right now.....

Thanks again!
Mindy

MindyMouse76
03-24-2009, 10:58 AM
More info - after I selected seats it comes to $453.00 for AirTrain - I think I might hold off for SouthWest prices - but again - any information pros-cons on both would be awesome.

Thanks again!
Mindy

Nini5055
03-24-2009, 11:20 AM
One caution: I think I have read quite a few times around on different boards how Air Tran has changed their flights to completely different times.Do your research before you buy from them.

Otherwise, I have gotten SW one way at $79.00 and they keep running specials. Round trip for 3 people $474.00.:thumbsup: It is also very easy to change your airfare should SW's prices go down.

Personally, I would wait for SW to come out with the dates and then compare between the two.

sassafras
03-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Personally, we prefer SW. Nothing against AirTran, but even with their discounted prices, it seems to cost more in the long run after paying for baggage! Plus I saw there's an extra charge if you change your flight after booking! I would definitely read the fine print before booking AirTran!

MOJoe
03-24-2009, 12:50 PM
My family has used Air Tran out of Memphis several times. We've had good service and no complaints - except for our upcoming trip.
Air Tran cancelled all direct flights and the connecting flight from ATL didn't get to Orlando several hours after our original arrival time. I was quite unhappy with this change, so i called WDW travel to see if they could help. Much to my surprise, both my incoming and outgoing flights were changed to increase our time at WDW, and at no charge.
I still wish i had a direct flight as booked, but WDW travel did a great job getting an acceptable substitute.

MindyMouse76
03-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I agree and will wait for SW to post their information for September!!

laprana
03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I agree with everyone else - wait for SW! We initially booked Airtran for our May trip for the flight to Orlando. It was a non-stop flight that got us there in the early afternoon. About a month later, I went back to Airtran's web site to book a flight coming home, and was unpleasantly surprised to see that Airtran had changed our outgoing flight from the non-stop to a flight with a 4-hour layover! :mad: We went from a 2-hour flight that got us there a little after noon to a 1-stop flight with the layover, making it more than 6-hours travel time, that didn't get us to Orlando until very late evening. I was so mad, mostly because they didn't e-mail us about the change or notify us at all! I never would have known about it except that I went to book another flight with them! Well, after a little bit of arguing with a customer service rep, we were able to cancel the flight and get all of our money back. They were trying to charge us the $75 per person change fee to cancel the flight, but we flat out refused to pay it because it was THEIR change, not ours. So, long story short, we're now booked on non-stop flights with SW and won't be using Airtran again!

MindyMouse76
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Wow! Thanks for that information! I think after that, I will definetly be using SW and waiting for their flights to come out!!

Is SW pretty good about keeping their flight times the same as when you booked it?

I will not settle for anything but a nonstop flight from Philadelphia to Orlando!!

Mindy

Nini5055
03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Every time I have used SW the flight times have not changed and the flights have always been on time. :thumbsup:

I just hear ALL the time about how AirTran changes flights drastically on people with no notice being sent to them. :(

Bluesky481
03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Good choice, Mindy Mouse! We've flown AirTran in the past, but now with all the luggage fees, those "great fares" just don't seem so "great" anymore. DH and I have decided to hold out for Southwest fares for our October trip as well. :)

cmshelton1979
03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
The knock on Air Tran vs SW, you get 2 free bags per passenger for SW.

javamama
03-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Air Tran used to be "our" big competition when I was an active employee for DL, but now that I'm a stay at home mom currently. I flown them last year, and now we'll take them again t his year on our WDW trip--their cheaper than SW out of Midway/Chicago. I booked before the baggage fees happened. SW loads schedules 6 months out approx sometimes later--they do it when they basically can get schedules together not like AA/UA/NW/DL who load theirs 11 months out, that's why your waiting to book right now. As for the schedule changes with Airtran, that's done lots of times by/thru the airlines and the gov't they need to make changes you can always accept the time/schedule change or decline them and rebook or refund your flights w/out penalty--we just had this happen w/Air Tran twice I had no issue changing my flight to a better return flight. Come September I wouldn't be surprised to see this whole bag fee go away completely, and seat charge also---it's ridiculous and the airlines are now making profits at this point.

spoiledraf
03-24-2009, 10:45 PM
I booked Airtran months ago with a departure time, non-stop of 10:25. After reading this post, I checked to find we will not be leaving untill 11:55. I may have to rescedule dining plans for our first day. :mad:

gaffz70
03-25-2009, 06:57 AM
I've flown several different airlines for business and have found Airtran to have the best prices esp for going to Orlando. I have experienced flight changes on all the diff airlines, but Airtran was the most accommodating...I would tell them that the new time did not work b/c we had reservations and they always switched it to something that was better for me! I'm hoping this time they switch me and I'll try getting a flight the night before and stay at a value so we can have more time on our first day!!

betteratmk
03-25-2009, 08:55 AM
:number1: We flew AirTran on March1 for the first time out of Buffalo NY. We had a direct flight coming and going that had been booked 5 months prior. The price was $59 going and $69. coming back. We did have a $15. bag fee but for $913. flew 6 people there and back! The flights were on time and service was great. No complaints here. Would use them again

wildernesslady
03-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Don't be surprised if SW rates are a little higher when they first come out. Give them some time, they usually go down. I have found Tuesdays for some odd reason to be the best day to get a deal. I have no idea why. Keep checking the rates as much as you can. They will change hourly.

sillyolbear
03-25-2009, 03:29 PM
We've flown Air Tran quite a bit and have had good experiences. That being said--there is no perfect airline! We've been lucky in that even with time changes Air Tran has enough flights in our market that it usually means a change in minutes rather than hours.

The one time it was drastic Air Tran was very accommodating in helping me get on another flight. Much more so than other airlines have been.

My advise--if the possibility of a time change makes you really anxious, wait for Southwest. With any other airline the chances of anxiety from a time change are pretty much a guarantee unless you purchase really close to your depart date.

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
We also fly out of PHL and since discovering Southwest and the DING have used nothing else! :thumbsup:Every other airline we flew, always, without fail changed our flights , never with SW! Keep watching the site and make sure you have the DING downloaded. We are going in June and prices haven't moved in awhile so I think I'm ready to book....$89 each way, not too bad. Three years ago we had a DING for our flights for $29 each way!! I have not seen prices that good for a very long time. Good Luck, keep watching, and don't panic too soon about not having tickets too early.

SorcererJim
03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
I would also vote for SW... they are great, not to quote their commericals, but they have NO HIDDEN FEES... the sneaky way other airlines are getting around publishing "low fares" is amazing...

Also, I agree with a PP that Tues are you best bet for good deals (wednesdays too)... we got $79 a way, direct flight from Buffalo leaving and coming back on a tuesday.

I just checked the SW site and noticed this notice:
"On April 14, we will open our schedule for sale through October 30, 2009. "

So you don't have to wait long to find the flights you need.

7swans
03-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Don't be surprised if SW rates are a little higher when they first come out. Give them some time, they usually go down. I have found Tuesdays for some odd reason to be the best day to get a deal. I have no idea why. Keep checking the rates as much as you can. They will change hourly.

This is good advice, Southwest seems to post thier lowest fares 60-90 days out.

We have flown both, it is a drag to add $30.00 to your airfare for your checked bag, but if you & your spouse can share a checked bag & each take a carryon, the cost would be less.

Hope you get a great rate!

03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
We are going in June and prices haven't moved in awhile so I think I'm ready to book....$89 each way, not too bad.
I was too busy the last 2 days to actually buy tickets so I was doing it this morning and guess what?...... the price went down to $59:thumbsup:. I only booked our depature...hopefully our return will also go down!!! We love SW :number1:

SteveL
03-27-2009, 09:11 PM
we usually try to fly AirTran out of Philly, although we are using SW in May.
I just hate the SW "Cattle Call" for boarding.

BMan62
03-27-2009, 09:24 PM
we usually try to fly AirTran out of Philly, although we are using SW in May.
I just hate the SW "Cattle Call" for boarding.

If you haven't flown SW since they instituted the "numbers" system, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Instead of all "A" tickets lining up first-come, first-served, you now have a number on your ticket along with the letter. The pylons at each entry are multiples of 5. It is much less chaotic and easier to deal with. It is still broken up into 3 groups, "A", "B", and "C", but loading position is based on the number within the letter group. Also, Business class get the earliest (lowest) "A" numbers, so they will board first. Families with younger children board AFTER "A" group.

One note though -- Go online at the 24 hour mark and get your position locked in, whether or not you actually print your boarding passes (you can wait to have them printed at baggage check, but why wait?)

03-28-2009, 10:12 AM
If you haven't flown SW since they instituted the "numbers" system, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Instead of all "A" tickets lining up first-come, first-served, you now have a number on your ticket along with the letter. The pylons at each entry are multiples of 5. It is much less chaotic and easier to deal with. It is still broken up into 3 groups, "A", "B", and "C", but loading position is based on the number within the letter group. Also, Business class get the earliest (lowest) "A" numbers, so they will board first. Families with younger children board AFTER "A" group.

One note though -- Go online at the 24 hour mark and get your position locked in, whether or not you actually print your boarding passes (you can wait to have them printed at baggage check, but why wait?)

WOW!
Miss two years at WDW and look what you miss! I had no idea of this change! Thanks for the explanation!

PrettyMinnie
03-29-2009, 12:40 PM
WOW!
Miss two years at WDW and look what you miss! I had no idea of this change! Thanks for the explanation!

I didn't know about that either...interesting.

madandmaksmom
03-29-2009, 08:59 PM
After reading this thread, I freaked out because our June flights are with AirTran. I decided to log-in and check. Sure enough, our afternoon departure had changed and now had us arriving after 10:15PM:mad:. With a 2 year old, this won't work at all, plus ME now does not offer luggage service that late.

I called expecting a bitter fight to get my money back, but when I very calmly and politely explained our situtation, they willingly moved us to the only other direct flight early that same morning. We originally wanted that flight, but were not willing to pay the premium price. They were very accomodating and did not charge us a dime--either for the change fee or the difference in fare. We're AP holders and now we get almost an entire extra day at WDW !:cloud9: I guess it pays to ask. We ended up better than what we started with.

animalkingdomguy
03-30-2009, 08:26 AM
They are the only airline that we use for WDW. They are fast, reliable and ontime. It is an Orlando based airline and they have great service to Orlando Intl. For 59/per jump at the deal.