PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin Hotel

pox24
03-24-2009, 09:47 AM
For a change of pace we are driving up in April for the Flower and Garden Show. Never stayed at the Dolphin. We got a super rate. I would like to know any thoughts on this hotel.

MOJoe
03-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I love this place, for the following reasons:

Great pools with waterfall, spa and beach area

Numerous dining choices from 24 hour quick service to high end steak and seafood

Good bars at the pool and Bluezoo

Heavenly Beds

Location, location, Location!

On the downside, this is a convention hotel and it feels big. Well, it is big. But all the great features make this one of my favorites.

Maleficent's Dad
03-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Best features:

I do appreciate the Swan/Dolphin resorts, but they aren't amongst my favorite places to stay. However, you often can't beat the price, and the location is to die for.

They aren't typical "Disney" hotels with the theming. They're more like a higher end hotel/resort with many of the services/amenities you'd expect if you were a business traveler.

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
03-24-2009, 12:12 PM
:mickey: We also have used the Swan many times - very nice hotel and location is great. My only disappointment is the laundry facilities - two large hotels (Swan and Dolphin) and one small laundry area to serve both.
Other then that they are a good choice.

jcvalenti
03-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I stayed at Dolphin last October for Food and Wine for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. The only downside was they put us in a room that had just had the carpet cleaned, so it was damp the whole time we were there ... but we never complained. I'm sure if we had brought it to their attention we'd have gotten another room.

Anyway, the location was great, the hotel amenities were very nice, and the dining options were fabulous (I really liked Il Mulino's bar over at the Swan next door, and the lobby lounge at the Dolphin. It's also a short walk to Beaches & Cream, and to Spoodle's on Boardwalk (which has great breakfast).

I think you'll really enjoy it.

lockedoutlogic
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
The swan and dolphin offer better amenities for the pricing than disney hotels....

disney pricing has increased substantially (as always) over the last 10 years while they have actually attempted to take amenities away in many locations....

And as others have said....you can't beat the placement

GrumpyFan
03-24-2009, 03:14 PM
We stayed at the Dolphin in June of last year for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed it. The rooms were very nice and clean, and the beds were absolutely heavenly! We ate at Cabana, out by the pool, and had a great lunch there. We also ate at the inside quick service place, (don't remember name) and it was just okay, about what you would expect for a quick meal.

The only thing I would say about it in any way negative, is that it doesn't have the same feel as a regular Disney hotel would. But, that's not to say it's bad. The staff there treated us very well and we would stay here again if available, as we love this area on property because it's close to our 2 favorite parks, Epcot and DHS.

CanadianWDWFan
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Great timing for this thread!!:thumbsup:

We are possibly considering changing our CSR stay to the Dolphin due to the rates being offered. What are the other differences with a Disney resort stay? Such as, EMH, is it offered at these resorts?

lockedoutlogic
03-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Great timing for this thread!!:thumbsup:

We are possibly considering changing our CSR stay to the Dolphin due to the rates being offered. What are the other differences with a Disney resort stay? Such as, EMH, is it offered at these resorts?

They offer transportation and i believe EMH...but dont' quote me on that one....

the swan and dolphin are deluxe hotels by disney's "class" standard....Coronado is the closest moderate to that....but you are still overpaying for what you get....

and don't forget...if you yearn for "disney feel"...you can pretty much hang out at boardwalk or Y&B anyway

BugeyedMuggy
03-25-2009, 09:39 AM
We stayed there in Feb. & the 2nd day we were there a convention showed up. They took over the entire hotel & never left to go to parks so the hotel lobby, pool & lounges were packed at all times. They even closed up the pool bar & cabana area for them leaving the paid guests to go elsewhere. I would never stay there again even if the location is good.

lockedoutlogic
03-25-2009, 10:27 AM
We stayed there in Feb. & the 2nd day we were there a convention showed up. They took over the entire hotel & never left to go to parks so the hotel lobby, pool & lounges were packed at all times. They even closed up the pool bar & cabana area for them leaving the paid guests to go elsewhere. I would never stay there again even if the location is good.

I understand your frustration....but that happens at Disney Hotels as well....

There was a certain accounting firm (that sounds like "vice slaughterhouse and supers") who took over the Grand Floridian with their overprivileged interns once a year....who proceeded to destroy all pool/ commons areas with all forms of bile, waste, and yes....excriment for a solid week....

So unfortunately....no location is immune to a "swarm of locusts" convention

Disney_Barbie
03-25-2009, 12:01 PM
We like the swan slightly better than the dolphin (and yet can't even put our finger on why that is)
But overall we LOVE LOVE LOVE the swan & Dolphin. Actually we like it better than some the disney deluxes. You'll have a great time!!!

Oh yes, and as MOJoe mentions, Picabu is 24/7. I guess just because we are night owls that is a HUDGE deal for us. I can't tell you how often we are there in the middle of the night and have said to each other "you know if were were staying in (insert here ANY disney hotel except I think Poly & GF) we totally couldn't get anything but a vending machine snack right now!" Haha, when we stayed @ WL once our flight landed @ like midnight, by the time we got to the resort & checked in (must have been like 1 or 2 by then) we were starved! We actually even considered taking a taxi over to the Dolphin to hit up Picabu. So the 24/7 food is a big deal for us.

Disney_Barbie
03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
They offer transportation and i believe EMH...but dont' quote me on that one....

Here, you can quote me, cause I know it for a fact : Swan/Dolphin offeres AMAZING transportation & use of EMH

Swan/Dolphin does NOT offer magic Express, so you'll have to use another service/taxi/rental car to get to/from the airport. They also do not offer the ability to charge disney purchases back to your resort bill, nor can they combine your disney passes to your room card, so thus you'll have to carry around BOTH.
Before heading down join the Starwood Preferred guest program (spg.com) for free. Not only do they have a priority check-in line for members, but you can collect points for each stay along with other bonuses. (I'm not sure if having an SPG memberships flags your ressie or something like that, but I do know that we have gotten a free upgrade EVERY time we've stayed @ The Swan or Dolphin:thumbsup:)

Kenny1113
03-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Before heading down join the Starwood Preferred guest program (spg.com) for free. Not only do they have a priority check-in line for members, but you can collect points for each stay along with other bonuses. (I'm not sure if having an SPG memberships flags your ressie or something like that, but I do know that we have gotten a free upgrade EVERY time we've stayed @ The Swan or Dolphin:thumbsup:)

Thanks for the tip. I just joined for our trip in 2 weeks!!! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-26-2009, 08:26 PM
As you can see from my tag, I love the Swan & Dolphin. The only things they don't offer are Magical Express, charging to your room and they don't participate in free dining. That's about it.
You can buy a refillable mug there, you can use the Disney transportation for the parks & DTD, go to EMHs. And you can use the pools at both the Swan & Dolphin. They have on site restaurants including a 24 hour called Picabu. And you can't beat the location. It's so easy to walk back to the resort from Epcot and DS.
And the beds are so very comfortable.
You won't regret staying there.

Aggie97
03-26-2009, 10:49 PM
This is great information.

Can you have purchases from theme park shops delivered there, as you can with other WDW resorts? We do this a lot. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-27-2009, 11:05 PM
This is great information.

Can you have purchases from theme park shops delivered there, as you can with other WDW resorts? We do this a lot. :mickey:

Yes you can, you just pick them up at the gift shop in the resort.

j&j
03-28-2009, 01:16 PM
not like staying at a disney hotel since nice. the area is very nice boat to ecpot or studio. they have a food court and rest to eat at. rooms ok beds are double size not queen.:mickey::mickey:

EllieMae
03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I read above that the Swan/Dolphin does not participate in free dining, but can you still purchase the dining plan with Magic Your Way tickets when staying there? It didn't give that option on WDW website. TIA

pamickeys
03-30-2009, 02:23 PM
don't forget that Dolphin is independent from Disney so they have a lot of hidden charges, not that they will apply , but you might to have to pay a $10 daily parking fee, plus they have a "resort fee" for pool towels... etc, and some others. so check with them for exactly what they will be charging you to stay there, not just the "room rate".

passholderryan
04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
My wife and I like the Swan and Dolphin so much, we got married there a year ago. We are leaving this Friday for our 1 year anniversary. We always try and stay there. The hotel itself is great. Pools are some of the best. Close walk to Epcot and BW are the main reasons. When my wife likes to do a little shopping or hit the spa, I can slide over to Epcot and check out The British Invsasion with a :beer: or a Bratwurst and :beer: from Germany!!!!!!!

MidnTPK
04-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I read above that the Swan/Dolphin does not participate in free dining, but can you still purchase the dining plan with Magic Your Way tickets when staying there? It didn't give that option on WDW website. TIA
Guests at the S&D cannot buy Disney dining plans.

Raye3201
04-01-2009, 07:24 PM
We stayed at the Swan for 4 nights two weeks ago and I have to say it is a nicer hotel but not like the Disney hotels. The restaurants are overpriced ... $45 for a steak? (and we did NOT receive our 20% off as DVC members that we should have - that is still in the works), hidden charges such as the mandatory resort fee and parking fee, and no magical express. Also the grotto pool was closed for refurbishment and the other pools were crowded. They also had a power outage from 2-5 am (Friday the 13th of all days) and as our pickup time was 4:30 am it made it very difficult to get ready in the dark with no power or lights. (Well the management brought us 2 small glow sticks to assist....ever try to shower in the dark with a glow stick? we laughed about it afterwards but at the time thought it was appalling). We also had to obtain towels from inside the health club - there are none at the pools outside and if we didn't return them to the same area the room would be charged an amount.

We were there for a conference but we realized that we would much prefer a value resort over the Swan anytime we are on a family vacation. Give me my beach club any day of the week over the swan but even give me Pop century! Save the $30, pay the rack rate and you will be better off IMHO
:mickey:

SallyP
04-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Swan and Dolphin are Deluxe Resort Hotels for the price of a Disney Moderate Resort (in our experience).

The beds are Heavenly but you really must like softer mattresses to enjoy them. The rooms are larger than the standard Disney resort room.
There are Disney merchandise stores in both as well as a Disney ticket and information counter in both hotels.
The Dolphin has king or 2 double beds; the Swan has king or two queen beds.
Picabu downstairs at the Dolphin is a 24 hour food court.
Great restaurants with adult lounges to be enjoyed.
The resort fees are not 'hidden', they let you know up front that you will be charged $10.65 (tax included) daily for 2 bottles of water, internet access, newspaper and phone usage including limited long distance.
$9 for self parking and I don't know what valet parking is currently.

For us the best part is that we accrue Starwood Points, redeemable in the future at a Starwood Resort including the Swan and Dolphin.

MidnTPK
04-02-2009, 11:42 AM
We stayed at the Swan for 4 nights two weeks ago and I have to say it is a nicer hotel but not like the Disney hotels. The restaurants are overpriced ... $45 for a steak?
Overpriced? Compared to what...a Sizzler?

Anyway, I'll concede Shula's steakhouse is expensive. But steaks are expensive all over WDW so I'm not sure how this is a useful criticism. The Yachtsman's Steak House (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/resorts/yachtsmansteakhouse.asp)has similarly priced steaks at the Y&BC. And Shula's is a considerably more elegant environment.

And I'll second another poster who mentioned that the fees are hardly hidden. While WDW resorts don't charge for many of the things that the S&D charge for, these charges are clearly disclosed.

I actually think the resort fee is pretty fair considering it gets you two bottles of water a day and internet access, plus 20 minutes of long distance calls a day. But I hate using my cell phone so many people might not really value that last part.

MidnTPK
04-02-2009, 02:37 PM
They also had a power outage from 2-5 am (Friday the 13th of all days) and as our pickup time was 4:30 am it made it very difficult to get ready in the dark with no power or lights.

This too is not really a useful observation/criticism. The S&D don't generate their own electricity, so this probably impacted all of the resorts in the area at the time.

As an analogy, would you blame your resort for bad weather?

Raye3201
04-03-2009, 02:49 AM
No, MidnTPK, of course I would not blame my resort for bad weather but that is a false analogy...in actuality the power outage ONLY affected the Swan and Dolphin resort due to electrical work underway at the resort.

I feel it is a useful criticism because the resort preparations were inadequate. We were told there would be a backup generator with lighting and the phones would still work but the phones did not work and there was no lighting in the rooms whatsoever. I am grateful that our children were not there because they would have been very scared. Now this may be an isolated incident for this resort but it affected our visit.

Although the resort fees may not in effect be "hidden" they are mandatory and are not discussed on advertised rates. I witnessed several others at checkin complaining about these charges so I am not alone in my "nonuseful" criticism it seems.

We felt that the entrees at the restaurants were overpriced compared with other restaurants in the world and at other resorts to which we have been. And we have been to many. That being said, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and there are many options to suit taste all around Walt Disney World. That's the beauty of the World afterall.:mickey:

Disney_Barbie
04-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Overpriced? Compared to what...a Sizzler?

Anyway, I'll concede Shula's steakhouse is expensive. But steaks are expensive all over WDW so I'm not sure how this is a useful criticism. The Yachtsman's Steak House (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/resorts/yachtsmansteakhouse.asp)has similarly priced steaks at the Y&BC. And Shula's is a considerably more elegant environment.

And I'll second another poster who mentioned that the fees are hardly hidden. While WDW resorts don't charge for many of the things that the S&D charge for, these charges are clearly disclosed.

I actually think the resort fee is pretty fair considering it gets you two bottles of water a day and internet access, plus 20 minutes of long distance calls a day. But I hate using my cell phone so many people might not really value that last part.

I pretty much agree, word for word with all of this. The taxes & resort fees are ALWAYS explained to us in full detail when booking & at one point we were given the option of skiping the resort fees (but also loosing out on those amenities mentioned, we chose to pay the fee) Although I think they might have discontinued the option of paying resort fees vs. not. But I'm not sure. If you SERIOUSLY don't want to pay the $10ish for all those things, ask if you can still void the resort fee in exchange for the loss of those ammenities. I don't know for sure if they'll let you do it, but I KNOW they were doing at one point, so it never hurts to ask. And the Taxes they CERTAINLY can't be blamed for, since those are standard across the state of Florida. So really it's only about $10/nt worth of "hidden fees" that everyone seems to be so mad about. Not bad at all considering sometimes we get a deal @ S&D so good that it turns out CHEAPER than staying at a Moderate (and that even factors in a limo transfer in lue of Magic Express & the taxes/resort fees)

I also agree that I think the resturants are priced appropriately. Though some are a bit pricey (Ill mulino & Shulas for example) these are some SERIOUSLY nice places with some seriously good food. Up to par with Disney Signature dinning in my opinion (and I tend to be a bit of a foodie sometimes). If you find those to be overpriced or not fitting your dinning ideal, there are certainly more than enough cheaper eats there (like Picabu or Splash)

Raye3201, I was also confused about your mention of 20% off for being a DVC member (it seems like you were implying you were supposed to receive 20% off your meal - am I correct in understanding that's what you ment?) I was confused by this (not doubting you, just confused.) I've never heard of that perk @ the Swan/Dolphin eateries before. Where did you hear about that?

Raye3201
04-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Yes, DVC members get the following perks at S&D (copied from another site ):

Swan & Dolphin Hotel

Cabana Bar & Grill--20% discount on lunch and snacks (seasonally open)
The Fountain--20% discount on lunch and dinner
Fresh Mediterranean Market--20% discount on breakfast and lunch
Garden Grove Cafe--20% discount on breakfast, lunch and dinner
Kimonos--20% discount on dinner
Picabu--20% discount on self-service dining 24 hours
Splash Grill & Terrace--20% discount on lunch and snacks (seasonally open)

And although we personally didn't ask to opt out of the resort fee, another party asked and hotel staff said it was not an option. I personally didn't know about the 20 minutes long distance which is good if it is included in the resort fee of course!

:mickey:

dumbo ears
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Im staying there next week and I really like the resort. The lobby is just amazing. The rooms could be remodeled but they are still nice, the beds are very comfotable. The bus transportatation is not bad, you share with the boardwalk and the swan and the dolphin is the last one on the bus chain. I have to recomend the restaurant fresh for breakfast. its a very good breakfast buffet, they make personal waffles, pancakes, and omelets. Its $17 but its worth it and you get a great start to your day

snerd475
04-03-2009, 05:07 PM
But do you get to watch Stacey every moment you're in your room? I don't know if my dd10 could handle no Stacey!

dmosher
04-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I stayed here for a Macromedia Conference years ago and though the rooms and facilities were nice, I probably wouldn't stay there unless I got a really good deal. The location is nice, but the hotel itself doesn't really have that Disney feel to it and the food is rather expensive for what you get. But again, if you got a really good deal on the room, enjoy the location and experience of this unique hotel.
:pipes:
D

SallyP
04-05-2009, 06:52 AM
But do you get to watch Stacey every moment you're in your room? I don't know if my dd10 could handle no Stacey!

Unfortunately yes, Stacey has round the clock broadcasting at the Swan & Dolphin. ;)

Figment!
04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Although the resort fees may not in effect be "hidden" they are mandatory and are not discussed on advertised rates. Although it is a footnote, the Resort Fee is printed on the same page as all of their advertised rates.

http://www.swandolphin.com/rates/

MidnTPK
04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Although it is a footnote, the Resort Fee is printed on the same page as all of their advertised rates.

http://www.swandolphin.com/rates/
And every time I call, the agents go over the fee....even when I say I'm familiar with it.

I can imagine people who booked through a travel agent possibly missing this, but everywhere else I've checked (Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com) has it clearly disclosed.