PDA

View Full Version : What do you call it?

crazypoohbear
03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
I was reading the paper today and there is a book coming out with local sayings etc.
So I was wondering what do you call things in your neck of the woods?

For instance, do you drink
soda, pop, tonic, coke etc.

do you eat
a hoagie, sub, grinder,etc?

Do you eat
supper or dinner? and what is the difference?
what do you call a pot luck dinner?
Bingo or beano?
In the Boston area we have a rotary not a roundabout.
IF something is great in boston it is "wicked awesome" Wicked cool etc.
So.... what do you have and what do you eat?

MickeyMousse
03-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Hmm, in my spot of New York we....

drink soda
eat subs
at dinner
which is pot luck

:thumbsup:

PirateLover
03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
In Philadelphia....

We drink soda or just call it by name (coke or pepsi)

We eat hoagies

We have dinner. I don't know what the difference is, but I don't ever remember calling it "supper."

Pizza is served by the slice and regular pies are served in pieces.

We eat pasta with "gravy" not spaghetti sauce

And as far as rotary/roundabout thing goes... we have the dreaded NJ circles!!! AHHH. Thankfully they are getting rid of a lot of them though.

where_else
03-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi, here in small town Michigan we drink pop, eat a sub for dinner if it's in the middle of the day or for supper if it's the evening meal, and we would have pot luck at a pot luck :mickey:. Thanks for asking!

RedSoxFan
03-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Soda
Subs
Dinner/Supper --- use both sayings.

We're from Massachusetts and we still use "wicked" when we speak.

pink
03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm from New York.

For soft drinks we usually call them Coke or just soda. When I lived in Colorado everyone would say pop.

We never use the word hoagie unless we're making fun of something, we just call it a sub or a sandwhich.

We never say supper, we say dinner. We call a pot luck, a pot luck dinner.

I've never heard someone say "wicked awesome" we usually just say that's great or that's awesome, that's cool. :mickey:

Boojum
03-23-2009, 08:23 PM
In the South, at least where I am:

All sodas are "Cokes." Period. Here's an example: "Do you want a Coke?"

"Yes."

"What kind?" This is when you answer with the actual brand name.

Sub sandwiches are called sandwiches.

Where I grew up, we ate breakfast, dinner, and supper. Where I am now, we eat breakfast, lunch, and supper.

Potlucks are usually called "covered dish" meals.

Great things are usually called great. We pronounced it "graaaaaaaaayt." It almost has two syllables. :blush:

Something you didn't ask about are athletic shoes. Where I am, they're referred to as tennis shoes, but this is pronounced "tenny shoes."

Tinkermom
03-23-2009, 08:34 PM
DH and I are from South Jersey but have now lived in Kansas for 12 years:

We say SODA in Kansas they say POP.

We say HOAGIE in Kansas they say SUB. We now have a new sub shop near us called "Jersey Mike's" and they have pizza, cheesesteaks and subs hat taste like home!! It is bad because this shop is in walking distance, YUM! Whenever I go in to order I almost always have to stop myself from ordering the Italian HOAGIE and instead have to call it a SUB as that is how it is on the menu. I guess it is "when in Rome..." ;)

We eat dinner - same in Kansas.

Potluck is a potluck - same in Kansas.

We call them CIRCLES (and I hated them in NJ!) in Kansas they are called Roundabouts and luckily we do not have many of them.

Ok, the only thing that my kids have picked up on here in Kansas is calling the candy ice cream topping SPRINKLES!! UGH! I keep telling them they are called JIMMIES not SPRINKLES!!:D

sfunicello
03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
haha being from south jersey with NY parents we never said jimmies, only sprinkles

soda
hoagie
dinner
and again the lovely NJ circles

and a water fountian...my friend from Mass calls it a bubbler (sp?) and always uses the word wicked

Georgesgirl1
03-23-2009, 09:26 PM
In the South, at least where I am:

All sodas are "Cokes." Period. Here's an example: "Do you want a Coke?"

"Yes."

"What kind?" This is when you answer with the actual brand name.

."

So true!

citizensnoopy
03-23-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm a California native ... :)

We drink soda.
We eat subs (or sandwiches)
It's dinner, not supper.
And everything is, like, awesome. :blush:

pianobabe
03-23-2009, 09:53 PM
In my neck of the woods we...
Drink Coke
Eat Subs
Our noon time meal during the week is lunch and the night time meal during the week is dinner. On Sunday the noon time meal is dinner and the night time meal is supper.

We just call the circles, traffic circles and luckily we don't have too many.

Also, we call them pot luck dinners or covered dish. That one is interchangable.

conwayjohn71
03-23-2009, 09:55 PM
What kind of Coke would you like? I will have a Dr Pepper................

I would like an italian sub with pickles, now my folks were from Philly so everytime a family member comes down or goes up I get to eat a hoagie when they get back, and there is a difference< I PROMISE

We eat dinner,

Bingo is only for old folks down here

We have lots of space so we do not have roundabouts or rotaries, we just have intersections

We say potluck

and if I said wicked, my friends would beat me to a pulp

I always tell everyone one of the thing that are real differnent is:
when you give directions in the north the tell you the mileage, down in Texas we tell you time, think of this if you were driving from Florida to New Mexico, you would be driving in Texas for over 12 hours before you get out of the state from Louisana to New Mexico

beksy
03-23-2009, 11:06 PM
In VA/WV (the country areas, not the cities) we have:
pop and then you say the brand name
subs or hoagies depending on the restaurant
our meals are breakfast, dinner, and supper but that is more of a family, small-town thing. If I'm in a bigger town we use lunch and dinner. If I say this around my grandparents I'm "citified"
We have intersections.
potlucks and covered dish dinners are interchangeable.
We never say wicked!

We have also been known to pronounce "creek" like "crick" and say "tater" for "potato"
We have sprinkles.

DisneyLandMomma
03-24-2009, 01:07 AM
I love these type of threads!! :) My hubby is former military and I loved learning where all the other military wives were from and the different ways they said things.

I'm in Southern California....

We drinks sodas
have sandwiches
eat dinner
have potlucks(LOL)
flip flops are thongs
overalls not bibs
we have our pictures done, not made
we Bar-b-que, not grill or cookout. (This one always makes me giggle)

I've only ever seen one "roundabout" and that's what it was called. :blush:

we drive on a freeway

And if something's cool....it's like TOTALLY AWESOME. LOL

hmm...that's all I can think of for now...I may have to come back when I think of more!! :)

IloveDisney71
03-24-2009, 08:05 AM
In the coastal region of Alabama:

We drink Coke - not soda

We eat subs

My older family members call it supper and think I'm uppity because I call it dinner - HA

It's called a pot luck

drummerboy
03-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Coastal NC here.

Older generations from the country who were used to eating their biggest meal at noon called it dinner and still do. We generally use breakfast, lunch and supper.

We generally use the term 'drink' or Coke.

Before the influx of transplants, you used to be able to ask for 'tea' in a restaurant, and they'd automatically know you wanted it iced and sweet. Now you have to ask for sweet tea.

We say 'sub'.

Fortunately, we don't have traffic circles, so we don't have worry about what to call them. When I lived in South Jersey ages ago, we just called them circles. (I can't remember who was from Gloucester Township, but I was from Pitman--:wave:)

We have covered-dish suppers.

If you talk about getting a 'pie' around here, we'll want to know whether you want pumpkin, cherry or lemon meringue. Pizza would not come to mind.

Tinkerfreak
03-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Ok here in Maine we have
-soda
-Italians (not subs or Hoagies)
-We used to have rotaries but now they are calling them roundabouts. We don't even need them so not sure why they are there.
-We eat lunch or dinnah at noontime and suppah at night.
-We have bean suppahs not pot lucks. Always includes beans and whatevah else people bring.
-Things ah wicked good
-we have pizza, if you ask for pie you will also be asked if you want apple, pumpkin or blueberry.
-we wear sneakahs and flip flops, if you mention the word thong around here everyone blushes:blush:
-we have yahd sales and cellas not tag sales and basements
Thats all I can think of for now.

LibertyTreeGal
03-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I have lived in 8 different states and Canada so I no longer know why I call things what I do.

I call each soda by name, but tend to use soda to lump them all together

Hoagies, definitely

I SCRATCH my skin, I do not ITCH it (that drove me crazy when we moved to California). For goodness sakes, an intch is WHY you scratch, not something you do.

I eat dinner at night -- and I hate trying to figure out which meal people are talking about lol.

Potlucks

Crick instead of Creek

And i still tend to call forested areas "the bush" since I grew up for a while in Canada

And I have a funny story about "thong" (flip flop) confusion. Back 23 years ago, thongs were flip flops generally here in the states, I think, but my fellow camp counselors from overseas were sent packing lists that included "thongs for the shower." It was weeks before they asked why Americans had to wear their UNDERWEAR in the shower. :blush:

DisneyDog
03-24-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm about 10 miles West of Philly.

We drink soda.

Everyone calls the sandwich a hoagie...however, I went to the Unversity of Delaware and they call them subs down there. I've been known to use both terms.

We eat dinner (I've been led to believe that supper is an earlier meal?)

Potluck and bingo.

Oh, and to the earlier poster...in college, we had a lot of classmates from North Jersey. They had never heard the term "jimmies" before. There were many stupid arguments over meaning of that word. So,we decided that "jimmies" were the chocolate ones and "rainbow sprinkles" were the multi-colored ones. I still refer to them like that.

And we never, EVER say "going to the beach." Nope. It's "down the shore." And you go swimming in the "wooder" although I pronounce it wahdder.

drummerboy
03-24-2009, 10:44 AM
And we never, EVER say "going to the beach." Nope. It's "down the shore." And you go swimming in the "wooder" although I pronounce it wahdder.
And you live west of Phiwadephia. :D We used to swim in the wooder down the shore when I lived in South Jersey. Now I go to the beach and swim in the woewatah.

princessjojo
03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Here if we're thirsty, we want a coke or a drink otherwise.

Lunch is noonish, dinner is the big meal in the evening. I also have Sunday dinner after church and pot luck is what's left after that.

We have roundabouts, but they drive me crazy.

A sub is an oblong sandwich with tons of stuff on it.

And it all depends on who you ask weather it's awesome, hot, cool, or just plain ol' great.

Stitchahula
03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
I have to agree with the 1 poster who said jimmies were the brown ones and sprinkles the colored ones. That was how we always told the difference. I don't know how bubbler came to be but that is what we call it here in MA.

DMApixie
03-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm also in Southern California where

We drinks sodas
have sandwiches
eat lunch and dinner
have potlucks
it WAS thongs when I was a kid...but now they are flip flops :blush:
wear a robe and slippers
we drive on a freeway, not expressway
we go to the grocery store
we use shopping carts (not buggies or wagons)

DH is from Chicago where

they drink pop
have hoagies
eat lunch and dinner
have potlucks
wear 'shower shoes'
wear a housecoat and house-shoes
drive on an expressway, not a freeway
go to the market
use carts or buggies

Oh, and my mother, born and raised right here in SoCal warshes her clothes. I wash mine. ;-)

Nascfan
03-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey, we warsh clothes too! :D

Here in Ohio we:

drink pop

eat subs and grinders (a grinder is basically a hot, usually toasted sub where the cheese is melted and gooey) or even hoagies sometimes

have breakfast, lunch, and dinner, sometimes supper, which would be served at the same time as dinner, the evening meal

when everyone brings a dish to pass, it's a potluck

wear flip flops in the summer

grill outside when it's warm

the kids go down to the crick (not a stream or brook) and catch tadpoles

go to the grocery store and put our items to buy in a cart.

Fortunately we don't have any roundabouts, yet. Those things look confusing!

Tinkerfreak
03-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Hey, we warsh clothes too! :D

Here in Ohio we:

drink pop

eat subs and grinders (a grinder is basically a hot, usually toasted sub where the cheese is melted and gooey) or even hoagies sometimes

have breakfast, lunch, and dinner, sometimes supper, which would be served at the same time as dinner, the evening meal

when everyone brings a dish to pass, it's a potluck

wear flip flops in the summer

grill outside when it's warm

go to the grocery store and put our items to buy in a cart.

Fortunately we don't have any roundabouts, yet. Those things look confusing!

"warsh clothes" I love it we leave out our r's here in the North and you guys add them in.:)

drummerboy
03-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Oh, "barbeque" in the south is strictly a noun, denoting the pit-cooked pork product (whether tomato based or vinegar based sauce is better is a subject of much debate). We cook out on a grill.

Ed
03-24-2009, 04:42 PM
And we're gradually slipping into the wonderful world of Bawlamerese, the native tongue of people from Bawlamer, Murlin.

Ahmalanze.... vehicle that takes sick people to the hospital

Zinc.... place where you warsh your hands with soap and wooder

Wrench.... what you do to get the soap off your hands (see above)

Far.... a product of combustion, creating flames, heat and smoke

Poe-Lease.... law enforcement officer

:D

DMApixie
03-24-2009, 05:14 PM
"warsh clothes" I love it we leave out our r's here in the North and you guys add them in.:)

Well we couldn't just leave all those unused r's just laying around, now could we? :D

pixiesmimi
03-24-2009, 05:41 PM
As already posted for AL or LA (lower Alabama)
coke for all drinks. What kind of coke do you want?
too bad we have to ask for sweet tea now in restaurants. Never used to have to ask.

lunch and supper. Dinner is Sunday noon or a formal night meal. Actually supper was originally a light meal late at night, I think.

Used to be thongs, now flip flops

We don't really have round-abouts here but if there is one, it is a round-about and no one knows how to drive it. :)

Potluck or dinner on the grounds (at church)

If it is a long bun with meat, etc. it is usually a sub (like from Subway) but otherwise is a sandwich.

We 'cookout'

We're not going to do something, we are fixin' to do something.

alphamommy
03-24-2009, 05:42 PM
We live in Michigan, where we drink pop, and eat subs (if they're long sandwiches). Sometimes we go to potlucks.

My folks were from Alabama, and they ate breakfast, dinner, and supper. I always ended up caught between the two worlds, because everyone else up here ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I use "dinner" and "supper" interchangeably, and sometimes refer to "lunch" as "dinner".

I say "creek", but my FIL says "crick".

I can't say that I've ever heard "sprinkles" called "jimmies".

Hull-onian
03-24-2009, 06:14 PM
We say "Wicked cool".

We drink soda

We eat supper, but

We go out to dinner.:confused:

We eat subs.

If we are going somewhere, and in a hurry, we "book it."

Tinkerfreak
03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
This thread is wicked cool, it is crackin me up. Great idea!

crazypoohbear
03-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I think because I'm an army brat, I get confused.
WHen we first moved to the northeast we all drank coke
Then it became soda but I remember asking my future FIL for a soda and he gave me soda water :sick:
We use to eat grinders, now we eat subs.
We go to the beach
We cook out on the grill and have people over for a cookout.
We were always called in for food by "suppertime".
We drive on a highway or "the pike"

How about do you eat potatoes, spuds or what?
What's the difference between Yams and sweet potato?

What do you wear to bed?
Pajama's, nightgown, dressing gown, PJ's

Melanie
03-24-2009, 07:17 PM
And we're gradually slipping into the wonderful world of Bawlamerese, the native tongue of people from Bawlamer, Murlin.

I know it's a different area Ed, but it's no joke that the 3 years we were in So. MD, I thought some of those folks were speaking a different language. It became endearing though. :)

barnaby
03-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Here in South Jersey, its:

Soda or by the brand name
Hoagies
Dinner
Bingo
In Jersey we have circles.
Just plain old awesome or cool.

Its jimmies on ice cream cones.
And we go "down the shore".

Also, we say wooder (water) and keller (color).
And we say crick (creek).

And alot of folks were I grew up, a southern suburb of Philly, say words with Os like home and Coke funny. Hard to describe - think a drawn out, more prounced O.

Ian
03-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Oh, and my mother, born and raised right here in SoCal warshes her clothes. I wash mine. ;-)True story ... Back in high school I worked for a time at the local car wash. One day we got a package from a guy in SoCal and it was addressed to "White Glove Car Warsh." :cool:

Everyone pretty much has already covered the Philly-isms, but the one that drives me nuts-o around here is "wooder" (as in, the stuff you drink). DW says that and it makes me batty ... I always say, "What does that mean? Wooder? Is that like this here tree is "wooder" than that one."

It's WAW-ter!! WAW-ter!!

And yes, we eat hoagies (and cheesesteaks!! :tasty: ), drink Coke, go "down the shore", and "up the mountains."

pink
03-24-2009, 08:58 PM
We say pajama's.

In Colorado we called then tennis shoes in NY we says sneakers.

We call pizza, a pie.

We would never call flip flops thongs, that means the type of underwear to use.

New question:
Do you put it in the trash or the garbage?

In CO would say garbage, NY we say trash.:mickey:

crazypoohbear
03-25-2009, 07:45 AM
New question:
Do you put it in the trash or the garbage?

Good question.
We use to have a garbage pail - that was for the food scraps
Trash was the paper stuff.
So since I have a garbage disposal, we put the trash out.

Or
Do you call it trash still or "recycling"????

beksy
03-25-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm guilty of adding those extra "r's"!
We always use pizza. Pie is a dessert!
We have flip-flops. Thongs is a new one for me (other than underwear!).
We take out the trash for the garbage collector :confused:
Here we used to always have the choice of sweet or unsweetened tea (I think I'm too young to remember just sweet tea) but now it's moving toward just having unsweet tea :ack: and that's just not the same!
We go to the beach on the interstate.
We have sweet potatoes (pronouned pa-ta-tas), never yams.
At night we wear nightgowns or pajamas (with all soft a's) if it is 2 pieces.
We eat supper but just "go out to eat" without naming a meal and wear tennis shoes.

My parents and grandparents are from a very small town in WV and they say: The headache for a headache, balloons are "by-loons".

An old boyfriend used to drive me crazy with words he used. He would say first-aid for an ambulance and other words that I'd never heard before. He was from southwestern VA (small town).

I say rescue squad or ambulance interchangeably. Which do you use?

tinkwest
03-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Lived in California all my life.

We drink soda.
Eat sandwiches.
Have a barbecue, sometimes in conjunction with a potluck.
Serve dinner.
Stop at an intersection (never even seen a roundabout/circle).
Drive on a freeway.
Order pizza.
Wear tennis shoes.
Wash clothes.
Know they're jimmies, but call them sprinkles.
Drink from a drinking fountain.
Call an ambulance.

Now . . . for flip flops. I've never called them flip flops in my life although many people I now know do call them that.
When I was a kid In southern California we called them beach walkers. Sometimes we would call them shower shoes (a word picked up by my uncle when he was in the Navy). When I was a teenager in northern California I switched to calling them thongs, which was what most of my friends called them. (Didn't want to be different). When I moved back to southern California and met my future husband, who had just moved to the mainland from Hawaii, I started calling them slippers - the "local" name for them. They are still slippers to me and my immediate family and many friends.

Now . . . do you put things in a bag or a sack?

DisneyWithoutTheSpin
03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
- typically use the name of the soft drink, i.e., coke, pepsi, dr pepper, etc.
- hoagie or sub used interchangeably
- always refer to it as dinner, although my parents said supper when i was growing up, not sure when I changed
- pot luck dinner = leftovers
- Bingo
- Way Cool
- Pizza and wings are very popular, Italian restaurants, Sausage & Peppers, Steamed Clams, Pierogi, ethnic church bazaar food
- I personally have become a fan of sushi / sashimi

DisneyLandMomma
03-25-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm back...:blush:

So I guess it's just my family that still calls them thongs. LOL

we take out the trash
we wear jammies or pjs
we wear panties, undies, chonies and not skivies like my MIL says. :blush:
we call it pizza
we go to the store for groceries and use a cart
we go to the movies or show
we say car accident not a wreck
I use a bag

DMApixie
03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm back too...:blush:

Whenever I slip and call them thongs I get a strange look from my teenaged DD's! I remember as a kid camping at Doheney Beach we used to also call them Zories. (I think that was a brand name - but it was interchangable with thongs)

We wear jammies or pj's too
panties has morphed into chonies
a pie is a dessert, never think of pizza
we wear tennies (ten-eez)
have a scoop of ice cream
I use a bag
Oh, and it's a tow-truck, not a wrecker

drummerboy
03-25-2009, 03:55 PM
If somebody gets in a wreck, we'll call rescue first, then the wrecker.

On our feet, we wear tennis shoes, no matter if they're Reebok running shoes or whatever. DW generally puts on her bedroom shoes instead of slippers, although I use them interchangeably.

Since we've only been to WDW, we generally just say we're 'going to Disney'.

Mousefever
03-25-2009, 09:10 PM
I can't believe that no one from Pittsburgh has answered.

Pop
gum bands = rubber bands
jagger bushes = pricker bushes
being nebby = being nosey
warsh = wash
red up = clean up
jimmies = sprinkles

Of course, Pittsburgh pronunciation is strange too. I can't think of how to spell the way Pittsburghers say down town. If anyone can think of a way, feel free to help me out.

Amy

garymacd
03-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Here in my part of Canada, we eat subs washed down with pop that we got out of the fridge.

French Fries are equally called chips here, although that seems to be fading away.

I once made a mistake in Philadelphia. I was asked if I wanted a Philly Steak sandwich "wit".

So I told him a joke.

Really sad.

PrettyMinnie
03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm about 10 miles West of Philly.

We drink soda.

Everyone calls the sandwich a hoagie...however, I went to the Unversity of Delaware and they call them subs down there. I've been known to use both terms.

We eat dinner (I've been led to believe that supper is an earlier meal?)

Potluck and bingo.

Oh, and to the earlier poster...in college, we had a lot of classmates from North Jersey. They had never heard the term "jimmies" before. There were many stupid arguments over meaning of that word. So,we decided that "jimmies" were the chocolate ones and "rainbow sprinkles" were the multi-colored ones. I still refer to them like that.

I'm about the same area as you. So everything is the same. We say "rainbow sprinkles" and "chocolate sprinkles."

We are actually not Jersey Shore people so we say "going to the beach." But I agree, NO ONE says "going to the beach."

And I say water. My mom always made us say it that way.

princessjojo
03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I was at my son's school the other day and a mom was asking her son did he remember to bring home his "crayolas." I have always called them crAy-ons but my mom called them "crou-ons" which also sounds like "crowns."

I get my H2O from the faucet, not the tap.

We were talking about this one the other day...pants, slacks or britches commonly used by older folks in the south, my grandfather specifically.

The funniest thing though...One of the doctors in our hospital is of course like many from overseas. He is actually from Gaza and spent a short amount of time in Ga. with his wife, also from Gaza. But when you talk with him, he says that us contry folks, "y'all are all crazy." One of our patients said it was the first time he had heard anyone from the desert use y'all.

Some keep the spare tire in the boot of the car not the trunk.

alphamommy
03-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Until this thread, I'd never heard flip-flops called anything else.

As for me, I would call a wrecker or a tow truck to a wreck or an accident. This wreck could happen on an expressway or freeway (interchangeable, although I use the first one more), or just a regular road.

I also want to point out that there are "subs" and "sandwiches", and these are not the same thing. If it's on a long bun, it's a "sub". If it's on bread or a round bun, it's a "sandwich".

Pizza is pizza, and pie is a dessert. You can have a piece or a slice of either.

I call any type of sneaker a tennis shoe, or tennies.

Someone else mentioned sweet tea. I grew up in a transplanted southern family, and was about 12 before I even knew that people drank tea without sugar. Unsweetened tea tastes like some sort of medicine to me. On the other hand, cornbread NEVER had sugar in it at our house.

citizensnoopy
03-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Back for more. :blush: Gotta represent CA!

I've actually never heard the term "chonies" --- only panties or undies.
Pie equals dessert, not pizza.
Flip-flops is more commonly said than thongs.
It's a grocery store, not a market, and we use a cart.
Pajamas or jammies or PJs
Car accident, not wreck
Bag, not sack
Freeway
Regarding "sub" versus "sandwich" ... a sub is a type of sandwich. When I go to Subway, I order a sandwich. I would never call it a sub (though I've heard a rare few of my fellow Californians do this).

pixiesmimi
03-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Until this thread, I'd never heard flip-flops called anything else.

As for me, I would call a wrecker or a tow truck to a wreck or an accident. This wreck could happen on an expressway or freeway (interchangeable, although I use the first one more), or just a regular road.

I also want to point out that there are "subs" and "sandwiches", and these are not the same thing. If it's on a long bun, it's a "sub". If it's on bread or a round bun, it's a "sandwich".

Pizza is pizza, and pie is a dessert. You can have a piece or a slice of either.

I call any type of sneaker a tennis shoe, or tennies.

Someone else mentioned sweet tea. I grew up in a transplanted southern family, and was about 12 before I even knew that people drank tea without sugar. Unsweetened tea tastes like some sort of medicine to me. On the other hand, cornbread NEVER had sugar in it at our house.

The first time we drove to WI from AL, we stopped at a WI Cracker Barrel and asked for sweet tea. They said they didn't sell sweet tea but she would bring us some sweetener. Yuk! That tastes nasty! :ack: My husband told her that they were supposed to be a country restaurant (Southern Country?) and they needed to learn how to make sweet tea. :D My mother won't drink tea because she says it tastes like a medicine she had to take when she was a girl, so I understand where you are coming from. I don't drink it unless it is made sweet to begin with. We never put sugar in our cornbread either.

crazypoohbear
03-27-2009, 06:34 PM
flip flops and thongs were always the same when I was little. til thongs became underwear for the world to see :blush:
I just wear sneakers.
my dad use to call the refridgerator the
"ice box"
we call it the fridge

SO is it a
Tee shirt or an undershirt?
are they hospital Johnnies or gowns?
sidewalk or walkway?
water fountain or bubbler?

Nylons, pantyhose or stockings?

Kennywife
03-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Down here in T-town (Tulsa, OK), it's:

Pop
Pizza
We eat subs and grinders
flip flops are flip flops. Thongs are well, just that.
It's a fridge
pjs' or jammies
We have underpasses, overpasses, highways, and roads. We call stones "rocks."
People go out south for fun. Although downtown has been growing in the last couple of years
During summer, everyone goes to Riverside Park
It would be considered blasphemy to drink tea without sugar here! LOL!
Pizza is dipped in ranch. Actually, anything that can be dipped in ranch is.
The fair and Oktoberfest are the highlights of the fall. We are a festival community. We go to Mayfest, Oktoberfest, KidsWorld (my mil works on that yearly), and the Scottish Games.

Anna

crazypoohbear
03-27-2009, 11:28 PM
You dip PIZZA in Ranch dressing???!!!
WHY?:blush:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-27-2009, 11:58 PM
I grew up calling all soda "Coke" until we settled in MA, then it became soda and then you say which kind.
A sub
Dinner is eaten out unless it's for an occasion such as Easter Dinner.
supper is eaten at home at night.
I remember Zoris too but they are flip flops. Thongs are those little pieces of dental floss which are sometimes worn on the beach, sometimes by people who don't own a full length mirror!
and they are rotaries, not roundabouts (except on the GPS)
And it's the tow truck but if you are Keith, it's the wrecker. Why would you call it a wrecker when it's not the one that did the wrecking? Isn't it there to pick up the wreck?

DisneyLandMomma
03-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Pizza with ranch is YUM-MO!!! We do that here too! :)

gueli
03-28-2009, 06:04 AM
This is a fun one-

typical for NY-

we eat subs
drink soda
have breakfast lunch and dinner
Pizza is an amazing thing (its in the water)
Pie is dessert
Bagels do not come come from a grocery store in a bag- you get them at a bagel place (store)[and yes its the water]
thongs are not shoes
a creek is not a crick
we have a couple of traffic circles, but mostly intersections. We also do not understand why jersey drivers can't make a left turn & need a cloverleaf to figure it out
WE Do NOT have an accent (the rest of the world does)
and here on long island- we do not live IN our town, we live ON an island (as in where do you live. - I live on Long island, so where do you live - I live in saratoga)
we have City-its [I am spelling it as you would say it](cidiots = city idiots who don't know how to drive or where they are going, even though they have a house in the hamptons.)
When one crashes their car we call the cops then we call a tow truck, although it is interchangable with a wrecker( for the cidiot who drove the Mercedes into the tree)
Tee shirt - an undershirt could be a tee shirt that is worn underneath another shirt
they are hospital gowns
its a sidewalk (not a driveway for another cidiot)
water fountain
A sub is a type of sandwich- but usually a sandwich is made with bread or a roll
they are crAy-ons (usualy made at the crayola factory, which is a great place to visit when your in easton, pa)
Bag, not a sack (isnt a sack a thing that you race in ? Ok hop in ?)
We drive on the L.I.E. (which is a highway, even though its the long island expressway) the Northern state parkway, and the southern state parkway- any of which are called highways. I guess with the tolls on highways they certainly arent free- or freeways.
You wear boots on your feet, the trunk is in the back of the car
you take the garbage out of your house, but when you bring it to the curb- its trash
Oh yeah, after the cidiot has had a realy bad accident, we call for an ambulance, then the tow truck.
my daughter loves sprinkles on her ice cream

also for tomato its a Toe-mate-toe
and for potato its a Poe-Tate-toe

So do you go to a bar or a pub ?
Do you have a brewski or a beer ?
Do you think Domino's is an acceptable form of Pizza ?
:beer:
no mater what way you say it its all good.

"I want to go to Disney"
:mickey:

crazypoohbear
03-28-2009, 07:09 AM
We go to a pub
A pub serves food
a bar only serve booze!

We have CRAYons - crayola is a brand name not the actual coloring thingy!

Who still calls them albums??
for years a CD was a thing you got at the bank Certificate of deposit!

TiggerD
03-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Well, I am from the Northeast as well and we call it Soda, bingo, dinner, Sub, and wicked cool or awesome. We do pawk our caarrrrrs in Haaarvard Yaaaaaard and we do have accents, we love our Sox, Bruins, Patriots, and Celtics, and I think the best colleges.:mickey:

DisneyLandMomma
03-28-2009, 05:07 PM
We go to the bar but dh grew up with his parents going to taverns(pacific northwest).

We have beer.

And Domino's IS NOT good pizza. :sick:

:thumbsup:

diz_girl
03-30-2009, 01:33 PM
For instance, do you drink

do you eat

Do you eat
Bingo or beano?

I'm from Philly, but currently live in New Jersey, so here's my take...
Soda
Hoagie
Dinner
Pot Luck
Isn't beano a pill you take before you eat beans?
In New Jersey we call it what it is...a traffic circle. We drive in a circle, so we call it a circle.

Also, Jimmies.

Bethanymouse
03-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Great post! Jersey girl here....

Soda not pop
The shore, not the beach
The City, not New York
Upstate- New York State
Sprinkles- though my mom calls them jimmies
Gravy- not red sauce
Hoagies or subs
We call it both supper and dinner
bar not pub
Love our Pizza and our bagels (from a bagel shop)
To get most places you either hop on Parkway or Turnpike

SBETigg
03-31-2009, 08:16 AM

do you eat

Do you eat
Bingo or beano?

From MA (western MA)

Here it's:

soda

grinders

Dinner and supper are not synonyms but are two different meals. We usually just have dinner but on Sunday, if dinner is early, we may have a later supper. Dinner is the main meal of the day. Supper is a lighter evening meal.

pot luck dinner

Bingo

It's a rotary throughout MA, but I believe it's only called a rotary in MA.

TinkerbellT421
03-31-2009, 09:46 AM
HA this a great post lol!
I talk about this stuff all the time....
I am from Rhode Island, we are typically "different" in slang or "speech" and the "accents" are different a little bit from boston.

SODA, never understood what Pop meant and where that came from, I had never heard of it until I worked at a dental lab where this woman from Buffalo asked if I wanted a pop? I looked at her like she had ten thousand heads. lol

Typically I just call everything a sandwich...but I do call things a sub or grinder, never used the word Hoagie.

Do you eat
supper or dinner? Typically I say Supper, but I do use both. and know idea what the difference is.

what do you call a pot luck dinner? lol. I dont really know I never really ate that stuff. Havent eaten it since I was a kid and just remember not liking it. Ham and cabbage or something like that?? lol

Bingo or beano? Bingo, never even heard of "Beano".

In the Boston area we have a rotary not a roundabout. Never heard the expression roundabout.....We call them rotaries too.

I live on the word "wicked" lol. EVerything is wicked everything lol.

And some wierd things I grew up doing mainly because of me being Italian more than being from Rhode Island, is I eat Italian bread, or bread in general with every dinner, no matter what. And I never ever ever call spaghetti sauce, sauce....gravy thats it. Brown gravy red gravy doesnt matter. Its all gravy lol!

A New England thing....is New England Clam Chowda and clam cakes lol....we drop the er and make it an a.....and white, it always has to be white. Thats the real new england way.

Kenny1113
03-31-2009, 09:49 AM

I used to love doing this in OH ( yes calling it a crick as well, now it is a creek)

I lived in OH until I was 8, have been in South FL ever since.

I used to drink pop, now I drink soda ( not really but that is what we call it)

Always called them sprinkles.

Eat dinner, I have not heard supper around here unless family was in town. ;)

Subs are a great sanwhich for going out on the boat.

I wear sandals ( when I was little I called them both flip flops and thongs). Some people down here call them slippers or Chancletas (pronounced chon kleta)

I had never heard of a rotary/roundabout ( I had to google).

I wash. I have never said warsh. Growing up my step family (also from OH) used to say warsh, we always thought it was funny.

I used to sleep on a pellow, now I sleep on a pillow.

We don't drive on a freeway, we drive on a turnpike/expressway, most of which are not free.

We shop at the grocery and use a cart (some say basket),put our purchased items in a bag.

DS7 says wooder and gahbage (has never been to the NE nor is DH from NE).

DMApixie
03-31-2009, 02:09 PM
what do you call a pot luck dinner? lol. I dont really know I never really ate that stuff. Havent eaten it since I was a kid and just remember not liking it. Ham and cabbage or something like that?? lol

Sounds like your potluck is some sort of casserole?? The 'potluck' that I am familiar with is a gathering of people where each person brings a dish of food to be shared among the group.

I've never hard of beano either...except for the stuff you sprinkle on your food to keep you from...well, errrr...tooting! :blush:

AdventurerKim
03-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Down here, it is a Coke (no matter what the soda is) or soft drink.
We use dinner and supper interchangeably.
Bingo.
Roundabout.
We eat boiled crawfish and fried seafood!

pink
03-31-2009, 06:41 PM
WE Do NOT have an accent (the rest of the world does)
and here on long island- we do not live IN our town, we live ON an island (as in where do you live. - I live on Long island, so where do you live - I live in saratoga)

I'm from Long Island too and I'm sorry to say, but we have have an accent. Even though we do live on and island, everyone I know still talks about what "town" they live in.

Stockings.
Bag.
Beer.
Bar.
Domino's is not real pizza when you have NY pizza available.

We never called NYC, Manhattan. We just refer to it as "the city".

:mickey:

DANAM
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm from New Orleans...Orlens like the lens on your glasses...and it's not Nawlins no one from here really says that and it makes anyone from her nuts when you tell us we do.

We drink Coke

Eat sandwiches and muffuletta's too but there completely different. Oh and how could I forget the po boy which is just a sandwich on french or french bread.

We make red gravy not spagetti sause

Red Beans don't come from a can

We eat breakfast lunch and dinner

A grill is considered the BBQ pit

When you get in a wreck you call a wrecker or tow truck...well actually NOPD will do it for you.

I have no clue what a roundabout is, but we have neutral...well we don't say the L so it's neutra grounds. It the grassy area between to streets going in different directions.

Never really heard anyone talk about a potluck...I guess we would just call it a party and everbody will bring something!!! We never run out of food here. There's more than enough for everyone plus some.

We drive on I-10 or the interstate

We don't wear underwear but sometime panties but most of the time we wear draws...the w is very long and sounds more like au

We have parishes not counties and some people are from The Parish or da parish(long a again) aka chalmette

We were tenny shoes and flip flops

That's all I can think of now but I'm sure there's alot more.

I love this post. I get that I sound like I'm from Boston alot, especially when I worked in the QUARTER (there's another one the French Quarter) but from what YA'LL (there I go again you all) have posted I don't see how that's possible.

garymacd
03-31-2009, 10:24 PM
After reading all these posts, and especially the ones about sandwiches, I can't help posting one of my favourite movie quotes. See if you can guess the movie.

"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich!" -Oddball.

TinkerbellT421
04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
These are perfect:
You know you are from Rhode Island (pronounced Roe Dylin') if:

You know the basic rules of DuckPin bowling.

You own garden tools from Job Lot.

You have used the expression "Not For Nuthin" or "bubbla".

You serve bread with every meal.

You know what "3 all d' way" means.

You load up on milk and bread before a snowstorm.

You have a bottle of coffee syrup in the fridge right now.

You've gotten sick from eating too many clam cakes.

Your first live concert was at The Civic Center or Rocky Point.

You were born at Lying-In Hospital.

You still call the Rhode Island Mall the Midland Mall.

You have used a demolished landmark such as ALMACS or Finast when giving directions.

You secretly watch the NBC TV show "Providence" even though you tell your friends you don't.

You have slammed on your brakes to discourage a tailgater.

You know what a burger "The Newport Creamery Way" is.

You have dated a girl named Brenda or a guy named Vinnie.

You've personally met Vinnie Paz.

Your idea of a dream house is a raised ranch.

You have relatives who have been to Edgehill Newport, Codac, or Butler.

You've bribed your mechanic for a new inspection sticker even though your car failed to pass the safety inspection.

You have a degree from RIC, CCRI or URI.

You think vodka and Del's is a great combination.

You've been to Twin Oaks for your birthday.

You know how to pronounce Pawtucket, Cowesett, Usqepaug, and Narragansett.

You've been to Scarborough Beach but not Block Island.

You know where "The Pier" is located.

You've gotten sick eating too many clam cakes.

You like your clam CHOW-dah clear not white or red.

You put vinegar on your french fries.

You've been on a Bay Queen cruise.

You can recognize a Cranston accent.

You drop the "w" in Greenwich, Kingstown, and Warwick.

You use the expression "down-city" for downtown.

You've eaten at Haven Brothers, drunk.

You celebrate St. Joseph's Day and know what a "zeppolla" is.

You have at least one gallon of Newport Creamery coffee ice cream in your freezer.

You know what "ProJo" stands for.

You still call CCRI "reject".

You think that "party/potty" "God/guard" "law/lore" and "hot/heart" are
examples of homonyms.

You know the original name for Airport Road.

You always start giving directions by saying, "Well, you get on 95."

You know what "John from Alpert's" sounds like.

You refer to the movies as "the show."

You know what Allie's makes.

You know what a "package store" is.

You think lots of gold jewelry looks great on the beach.

Your favorite expressions are, "Are you serious?", "Wicked", and "You know what I'm saying?"

You've thrown at least one yard sale this month.

You know you need "quahogs" to make "stuffies".

You know there's a West End but not a West Providence.

You think banana, vanilla, and idea all end in "r".

You put celery salt on your hotdogs.

You see turn signals or "directionals" as optional car equipment.

Your into Keno, Powerball and the drawin'.

When told surprising news, you answer "Geddout", or if you're female, "No Suh!"

If you are going to the basement, you're going "down cellar."

Instead of eating dinner, you eat suppa.

You call spaghetti sauce, "gravy."

You've eaten a Wimpy Skippy on the Hill.

You know what "Leggs and Eggs" is.

You ask your mechanic to give you a state inspection sticker even though your car failed.

You know that there is never any school in Fosta-Glosta when it snows.

You've gone to Cumbie's for milk or gas.

You've eaten Jonnycakes or Johnny cakes (with an h if the fllint corn comes from out of state).

You know someone in the mob, but won't admit it.

AND THE NUMBER 1 REASON YOU KNOW YOU ARE A RHODE ISLANDER....

You've voted a convicted felon into office at least twice!

Your a native Rhode Islander and you know you're not in Rhode Island if:

Your new friends start asking you to repeat words such as car, potato, pizza, barber, and chowder.

You see a car with RI plates and you have an uncontrollable urge to ask, "What pot?"

You ask a friend who's going to Rhode Island to bring back some Saugy's and/or hot weenies.

The car in front of you is using its turn signal.

You'd gladly shell out $35 for a black market bottle of coffee syrup!

You've driven 5 miles in a populous area and have not seen a Dunkin' Donuts.

You ask the waitress for a grinder and she gives you directions to Home Depot or Lowe's.

No one wishes you a Happy St. Joseph's day.

You don't get VJ day off from work.

When you say that you have a "great idear," people look at you funny.

You receive blank stares when asking where the "bubbla" is located.

You're reading this and pronouncing all the words like a true Rhode Islander.

You're proud as hell to (still) be a Roe Dylinda!

Stitchahula
04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
TinkerBellT421 I'm not from RI but I understood most of what you said. Ok so I'm only over the border in MA., and I think vodka and Dell's is a great idea for the summer. For those of you that don't know Dell's is frozen lemonade (really good). Never understood the whole coffee syrup thing though. No suh other people don't say that really? Is that right up there with
nuh uh?

Advnt05
04-03-2009, 02:03 PM
When I was a kid in Texas, we called all soft drinks "Coke". I would go to a restaurant and order a "Coke" and they would say "What Kind?" and my answer would be "Pepsi". Then I moved to Atlanta. When I would order a "Coke" I would get a Coke. It used to frustrate the mess out of me because I wanted something different.

Sandwhiches are subs.
Beano keeps you from getting gas.
Potluck is a meal where everyone brings a different dish and puts them on a table.
"Fixin" means you are about to do something (Such as "I'm fixin to go to the store")
If something is good you can say "That dog will hunt".
My wife has recently aquired the word "snap". She says it after everything and it's kind of wearing on me.

I get into debates with people all the time in regards to using the word "next" in reference to time. If today is wednesday and I say "next Friday", I mean two days from now. Everyone else apparently means a week and two days.

DisneyDog
04-03-2009, 02:10 PM
A co-worker of mine is from NYC. I just heard her say "up the crick" and thought of this thread! We do say creek here, so it really stood out to me. LOL.

Nini5055
04-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Connecticut weighing in here...

We drink Soda.

We eat dinner...although my mother confuses the heck out of people by saying supper (doing the interchange with dinner :confused:)

Some people go to bingo.

We eat grinders.

We even have a few rotaries.

We go to the beach (not ocean or shore).

We grill (not barbecue).

We wear sneakers & flip flops. At work we wear heels...well, the women do anyways!!!:D

Everyone wears black. I figure it goes great with mouse ears. :mickey:

We meet friends for drinks.

I haven't heard potluck since I was a kid.

We call Dairy Queen "DQ" and those colorful candies you put on the ice cream are SPRINKLES!!!!!! :D:D:D I grew up getting "double dip".

We have tag sales (not yard sales).

I don't say "wicked"...people would look at me funny!!!! LOL :cool:

This is fun!!!!!!!!!!

meldan98
04-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Well, I just thought I would throw in a few that are slightly different here in Northern California.

We drive on Highways and Freeways and when we call them by name it is "take Highway 50" or "take I-80" or "take I-5". In So. Cal freeways are proper names "take the 5" or "take the 110".

Now my husband and I differ on one item. We were both born and raised in No. Cal. and I call long sleeve fleece lined shirts sweatshirts and my husband calls them sweaters. I have no idea why or who is right on that one.

We have round-abouts, but I call them a loop.

We are now starting to get Sweet Tea (thank goodness!) at some of our restraunts. I even found a sweet tea maker at Target recently.

I also don't understand the difference between yams and sweet potoates. Sweet Potoatoes to me are the redish ones that are sweet and yams are the purplish green ones that are kind of slimy. However, my entire family, calls sweet potatoes yams.

We also allow u-turns and I know there are some places in the country that don't.

Thongs (the kind you wear on your feet) are mostly called flip flops.

We have Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and on Sunday, a late breakfast is called Brunch.

We have potlucks and barbque's.

We use garage sale and yard sale interchangeibly.

We use the words "cool" and "awsome" "seriously" and "whatever" and one that I don't get "like".

Pubs serve drinks and food and bars serve drinks. Clubs are for dancing.

Crayons are called "color crayons"

One that I'm really not fond of us is what men's tank top undershirts are called wife beaters.

crazypoohbear
04-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Where do you buy your alcohol?
A packie
a liquor store
In Ma we "make a packie run" to get more alcohol!

Baptism or christening? Same or different?

Is everything we drive a "car" or do you differentiate between car, truck, van, SUV?

Seat belt or safety belt?

Friend of Figment
04-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I didn't see anyone from Oregon yet.

First, we would all like you to know our state is pronounced Or-uh-gun - there is no y or long e in the middle and the end is not gone.

We drink pop and know that sweet tea is just wrong.

We have potlucks where someone might bring a pie for dessert.

We eat sandwiches.

We drive on highways or freeways.

We use rig interchangeably for all manner of vehicles.

It's a crick.

We eat brakfast, lunch and dinner except for Sundays and during harvest when dinner is at noon and supper is at night.

We get pictures taken not made.

The shoes were thongs now I guess we have to call them flip flops or sandals. (Which makes me feel old)

Sports shoes are Nikes (an Oregon company), but your nikes might be addidas. If they aren't nikes they're running shoes whether you run or not.

Linguistically we belong to the largest area of regional accent (which we of course interpret as no accent. My best friend is from Texas and we think we may enroll them in an ESL class so they can learn to talk Oregonian!

We don't call people sir or ma'am unless they are very old, we are in the military or we are being smart alecs.

Boojum
04-04-2009, 07:51 PM
We drink pop and know that sweet tea is just wrong.

Hey, now! Them's fighting words! Watch yourself! ;)

SBETigg
04-04-2009, 08:41 PM
TinkerBellT421 I'm not from RI but I understood most of what you said. Ok so I'm only over the border in MA., and I think vodka and Dell's is a great idea for the summer. For those of you that don't know Dell's is frozen lemonade (really good). Never understood the whole coffee syrup thing though. No suh other people don't say that really? Is that right up there with
nuh uh?

I'm way over in Western MA and I still got most of the Rhode Island stuff-- and it really made me smile. Thanks! It really floored me when we were in NJ looking for a package store and no one knew what I meant. I'd thought that's what they were called everywhere until then.

tinklover
04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
I grew up in Delaware for most of my life, and some time in Florida. I am now switching back and forther between Florida and MD. for is it's soda or sodie
we eat dinner at night and lunch during the day.
we order italian subs
we drink wooder
some of my neighbors waRsh:laundry: their clothes and cars I WASH mine lol.
we live near the beach and go to the beach.
traffic circles we call round-a-bouts and the Jersey circles some were talking about we call Jug Handles. OT but i still to this day will never understand why you have to make a right hand turn to go left? why is it illegal to make a left hand turn in NJ?
oh and Pot lucks we call either pot luck or covered dish.
Here in Salisbury i hear people all the time say wernt in place of wasn't ie:
i wernt gonna stop for gas but figured it would be less hasle tonight then in the morning.
when i hear them say it it is like nails on a chalk board for me and i want to correct them LOL but i know it is an Eastern Shore of Md thing just like crayabs :crab:for crabs. lol i am guilty for the twang on crabs:secret: and all of my friends and nighbors have cook outs and I have a BBQ

Magic Smiles
04-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I haven't laughed this much at a thread for quite a while. Hilarious.
So I have to axe (ask). What is on the top your your house, a woof or a roof?

Also what is sweet tea?

I remember going to England as a child and asking for cream with my pie expecting whipped cream. To my surprise they poured liquid cream on my piece of pie. That is fruit pie not pizza.

Of course being Canadian, I don't have an accent. Eh?

Boojum
04-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Also what is sweet tea?

Sweet tea is iced tea with sugar in it. And lemon, usually.

drummerboy
04-05-2009, 01:19 AM
TinkLover, Jersey circles and jughandles are two different animals. the traffic circle is something you enter and keep going around in circles until you can figure out how to switch lanes enough to get out of the stupid thing and onto a different road or continue on the same one you were on before you had to go into the circle in the first place. (a la National Lampoon's Eupropean Vacation.) A jughandle is the thing you talked about, where you turn right to turn left. Easy as pie, eh?

'Round these parts, you'll often hear a sofa called a sofer and a chest of drawers called a chester draws.

tinkwest
04-05-2009, 09:50 PM
We don't call people sir or ma'am unless they are very old, we are in the military or we are being smart alecs.

Same around here. If anyone at work says "Yes ma'am" to me I think, "What the heck do they mean by that!"

Friend of Figment
04-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I have a hard time with the sir/ma'am thing. My closest friends are Southern and are teaching their kids that. I have a hard time reinforcing it. It's ok with Miss Natalie if they just say yes or no!

crazypoohbear
04-06-2009, 07:52 PM
where do you park your car?
Garage, carport, drive or driveway?

Do you have a livingroom, den, familyroom or parlor?

to me ice tea was sweet tea! I didn't know it had a special name!!
all soft serve ice cream is dairy queen

SBETigg
04-06-2009, 08:43 PM
where do you park your car?
Garage, carport, drive or driveway?

Do you have a livingroom, den, familyroom or parlor?

to me ice tea was sweet tea! I didn't know it had a special name!!
all soft serve ice cream is dairy queen

Drive and driveway may be synonymous but garage and carport are different things, and different from drive/driveway. If you park in a garage, that's an enclosed structure with a door. A carport is just a covered area, not enclosed. And the drive/driveway is just out in the open in the paved area leading to a house, garage, or carport.

We have a living room (formal) and a family room (informal). When I was growing up, we called the family room the den.

Iced tea is a component of sweet tea, but sweet tea, while it is iced tea, is super sweet and really not something we drink in the same way up north. And finally, I am also from the Northeast and soft serve is soft serve. You must have grown up near a Dairy Queen? Or maybe it's neighborhood specific? It's not really a Northeastern thing to call soft serve Dairy Queen, in my opinion.

drummerboy
04-06-2009, 10:33 PM
When I was coming up in NJ, we called soft ice cream 'frozen custard' whether it technically was frozen custard or not. Not sure how they say it now. If anybody's familiar with Kohr Bros. custard stands, I went to summer camp with one of the Kohr sons.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
04-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Another CT chiming in

We eat grinders
drink soda
eat breakfast, lunch and supper
drive around rotaries
groceries go in a bag
wear sneakers and flip flops
call tow trucks
Sprinkles on our ice cream
in college we make "packie runs"
as adults we go to the package store
drink beer in a bar
walk on a sidewalk
go to the beach
have "cook outs" on Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day
we have tag sales
Potluck means everyone brings some dish, those who can't cook bring paperplates and plastic ware... and you have a little of everything...
We eat a piece of pizza...
a piece of pie would be followed by, "apple or blueberry?":mickey:

pixiesmimi
04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I have a hard time with the sir/ma'am thing. My closest friends are Southern and are teaching their kids that. I have a hard time reinforcing it. It's ok with Miss Natalie if they just say yes or no!

Down south Sir and Ma'am are a sign of respect even for adults and no one is ever offended from someone calling them that unless said in a real sarcastic way. We correct our children when they answer yes or no without Sir or Ma'am included. This is teaching them respect. It is up to them when they are adults whether they continue to do this but it is expected as a child or teenager and gets ingrained in their minds. They do also call any adults even on first name basis, "Miss Wendy" or "Mr. Brian" unless they are relatives. :)

Down here DQ is just one of the places that serve soft serve so we call it ice cream cone or just ice cream.

We park in a garage or carport but it isn't the same and we drive up the driveway to it.

We have a living room and family room or den.

Sweet tea is the default here but unsweet is catching on with so many people on a diet now. We just put artificial sweetener in it. :D Unsweet tea is just yuk to us. :)

teambricker04
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
I love this thread. I am originally from MN, my DH is from OH/FL. I am always telling him he talks funny. He can't say ambulance... he says ambellance.

I eat sandwiches
I drink Pop when I am in MN, but ever where else I drink soda
I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner unless it is Sunday when I eat breakfast, dinner, and then supper...lunch is the big meal on Sundays so it is called dinner.
I drive around roundabouts
My groceries go in a bag
I wear tennis shoes (tennies) and flip flops
I put sprinkles on our ice cream, but I know what people mean when they say jimmie
I drink beer in a bar
I walk on a sidewalk
I go to the beach
We have barbeques on Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day
We have garage sales unless you don't have a garage (we don't!) then its a yard sale.
We eat a piece of pizza.

I never knew that "boughten" wasn't an actual word until I moved out of MN. As in, I would have boughten it, but I was out of money. I use the words "Uff Da" and "sure, you betcha" just like in the movie Fargo (that movie offends my mom). And yes, people from MN have funny accents and yes mine gets thick when I go back or talk to some one on the phone from MinnesOta.

IamBelle
04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
From MA
We drink soda (although my dad, also from MA calls it tonic)
We eat subs
at dinner
a potluck (sometimes a smorgesboard (sp?)
and on our ice cream we have jimmies

DisneyLandMomma
04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Where do you buy your alcohol?
a liquor store but you can buy it at any grocery store too.

Baptism or christening? pretty much the same thing depending on what denomination you are.

Is everything we drive a "car" or do you differentiate between car, truck, van, SUV?I have an SUV and I call it a car but I refer to other's by as car, trucks, van, SUV.

Seat belt or safety belt? seat belt

where do you park your car? in the driveway or in the garage.

Do you have a livingroom, den, familyroom or parlor? We have a living room and a family room. :blush:

TinkerbellT421
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm way over in Western MA and I still got most of the Rhode Island stuff-- and it really made me smile. Thanks! It really floored me when we were in NJ looking for a package store and no one knew what I meant. I'd thought that's what they were called everywhere until then.

LOL I got emailed that "You know your from RI thing and the You know your not in RI when" that day froma friend and right away thought of this thread so I had to share it for the Rhode Islands and Massers around here cause I knew you would appreciate it lol...Every time we are in Disney we get the first "Ya'll" the second we are off the plane and then we hear atleast half a dozen times while in Disney "Ya'll are from Rhode Island aren't ya?" lol And I love seeing peoples face when I use words that are clearly only used in RI/Mass lol such as "packie"

Mousefever
04-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I just thought of a Vermont thing (where I grew up), and another Pittsburgh thing (where I was born).

Vermont: It's not a front yard, it's a door yard.

Pittsburgh: All this talk about sweet tea reminds me of how we sweetened our iced tea in Pittsburgh. There was a syrup called Lemon Blend made by Heinz. A little Lemon Blend and ice tea was perfect!

Hey! Where all the other Pittsburghers out there! I need some back up!

Amy

crazypoohbear
04-11-2009, 08:03 PM
okay, here are some
You know you are from boston if...
Thanksgiving means the long version of Alice's Restaurant.

You know what a FRAPPE is

You know how to pronounce the names of towns like Worcester, Billerica, Gloucester, and Haverhill
You know how to pronounce Yastrzemski

You have driven to New Hampshire on a Sunday just to buy alcohol.

You think the rest of the country owes you for Thanksgiving and Independence Day. (...and they DO).

You know at least 2 cops in your town because they were your high school drinking buddies.

You drive 45 minutes to New Hampshire to save $5 in sales tax.

You've been to Hampton Beach on a Saturday night.

You always 'bang a left' as soon as the light turns green, and oncoming traffic always expects it.

You think 63 degree ocean water is warm.
You refer to 6 inches of snow as a "dusting."

dmosher
04-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Since DW and I moved from Baltimore, to New Zealand, we have noticed a sever change in slang. Since they speak English (as in more from England) here with there own mix of slang and descriptives, we have had to make some adjustments to our vocabulary. Here are a few examples:
US Name - NZ Name]
Soda - Fizzy (depends on where in the country you are though)
Cookies - Biscuits
Biscuits - Scones
Diapers - Nappies
Sausage - Banger
Car Hood - Bonnet
Car Trunk - Boot
Barbecue - Barbie
Forest - Bush
Fries - Chips
Small Grocer/7-11 - Dairy
Toilet - Dunny (in certain areas)
They also love to shorten (sort of) everything here:
Chocolate - Chocky
Present - Prezzie
Breakfast - Brekkie

We just find this funny, especially when we put them in out everyday conversation with friends back in the states and they have no idea what we are talking about.
:pipes:
D

IamBelle
04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
okay, here are some
You know you are from boston if...
Thanksgiving means the long version of Alice's Restaurant.

You know what a FRAPPE is

You know how to pronounce the names of towns like Worcester, Billerica, Gloucester, and Haverhill
You know how to pronounce Yastrzemski

You have driven to New Hampshire on a Sunday just to buy alcohol.

You think the rest of the country owes you for Thanksgiving and Independence Day. (...and they DO).

You know at least 2 cops in your town because they were your high school drinking buddies.

You drive 45 minutes to New Hampshire to save $5 in sales tax.

You've been to Hampton Beach on a Saturday night.

You always 'bang a left' as soon as the light turns green, and oncoming traffic always expects it.

You think 63 degree ocean water is warm.
You refer to 6 inches of snow as a "dusting."

LOL I was laughing when I read this, it is so true!!

DMApixie
05-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Ok. I was in Central California this past weekend (Fresno) and the GPS unit told us to enter the 'roundabout' - it was a pseudo-roundabout, circle, rotunda, etc., but a roundabout nonetheless. :D

I heard another word for flip-flops that I forgot about. A friend of mine looked at my DD16's flip-flop adorned feet in 50º weather and said 'Chonklas in this weather? Girl, you're crazy!" Anyone else call them chonklas?

ncscgirl2005
05-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I pretty much agree with everyone who posted from N. Carolina but I will add one more thing.

A toboggan is worn on your head in the winter not used as a vehicle in the snow.

crazypoohbear
05-01-2009, 11:26 PM
What is a toboggan???
I always thought it was just a really long wooden sled that seats about 6 people and I'm pretty sure THAT'S not what you wear on your head.!!!! :D;)

Kenny1113
05-02-2009, 07:55 AM
'Chonklas in this weather? Girl, you're crazy!" Anyone else call them chonklas?
Might be a variation/shortened version of ...

Chancletas (pronounced chon kleta)

garymacd
05-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I pretty much agree with everyone who posted from N. Carolina but I will add one more thing.

A toboggan is worn on your head in the winter not used as a vehicle in the snow.

A toboggan on your head? I did fall on my head a few times from a toboggan, but never wore one. We wear toques on our heads in winter, not beanies. Beanies have different coloured panels and a propeller!

Boojum
05-02-2009, 06:18 PM
A toboggan on your head? I did fall on my head a few times from a toboggan, but never wore one. We wear toques on our heads in winter, not beanies. Beanies have different coloured panels and a propeller!

Here in Alabama, we sometimes shorten "toboggan" to "boggan." This refers to a ski cap you wear in cold weather.

Is "toques" pronounced "tewks?" I remember Bob and Doug McKenzie singing about "5 golden tewks" in their version of "The 12 Days of Christmas."

Magic Smiles
05-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Is "toques" pronounced "tewks?" I remember Bob and Doug McKenzie singing about "5 golden tewks" in their version of "The 12 Days of Christmas."

That would be the same toques!:D

dmosher
05-02-2009, 11:45 PM
No way eh? I always like wondered what that was called. Hey, hey... check it out, this thread was typed out in 3-B. 3 beers and it looks good eh?
D

DisneyPrincess21
05-03-2009, 12:59 AM
And I have a funny story about "thong" (flip flop) confusion. Back 23 years ago, thongs were flip flops generally here in the states, I think, but my fellow camp counselors from overseas were sent packing lists that included "thongs for the shower." It was weeks before they asked why Americans had to wear their UNDERWEAR in the shower. :blush:

:haha:HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :laughing: :silly: :funny: :laughing:
:eek2:

garymacd
05-03-2009, 11:33 AM
No way eh? I always like wondered what that was called. Hey, hey... check it out, this thread was typed out in 3-B. 3 beers and it looks good eh?
D

No way, eh?

Beauty, eh?

Toques is pronounced just the way it's spelled. Just kidding.

Think of the word tool and change the "l" to a "k". It is not pronounced tewk, as in "Eew, that's gross!"