PDA

View Full Version : Connection Time Advice Needed ... Help Please!

farmergirl
03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi all,
We just got notification from our Airline that there was a flight change on our WDW trip. They have us now arriving at Minniapolis 6:28 AM on a Domestic flight and Departing for Orlando at 7:05 AM. We are confused what we should do we do not fly much but when we do we have always had plenty of time to get to our gate. When I called the Airline today they told me if we were not at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure they could give our seat away...Does this happen often? What happens if you miss your flight they try put you on the next flight the agent told me ..but what if the other flights are fully booked? Will you usually get there in the same day at least? Also with that short of a connection is there ANY chance of our luggage getting to the connecting flight? So what do you think we should do try get it changed to a later flight? Or is 37 minutes plenty of time and we are worrying for nothing. Any advice... opinions ... or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I appologize for all the silly questions but as I mentioned before. We do not fly much. Thank you

ThanxForNoticin
03-23-2009, 07:29 PM
37 minutes does sound like a pretty tight layover. A couple quick questions - I assume you are taking the same airline on both legs of the flight? If so, then when you get off one plane, your other plane should be in the same terminal at a gate that's not too far away. If you are really arriving in Minneapolis around 6:28 in the morning, you really shouldn't have much trouble with air traffic. It's just not that busy that early. So as long as the weather is decent, your flight should probably be on time (or often a little early).

It's a tough call - I don't think an airline would give you a window of 37 minutes and then give away your seat because you are a couple minutes late. To be honest, I might be a bit more concerned about how efficient they are with transferring your luggage to the new plane in that short time. If you keep these flights, maybe throw a change of clothes in your carry-on in case your luggage arrives later than you do in Orlando! Good luck and have a great trip.

farmergirl
03-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes we will be using the same airline. When we land in Minniapolis we will be landing in the same terminal however from what I have seen with what the gates are doing it is on the other side so it would be quite a hike. Yes I am a little concerned about the luggage issue as well. I am not sure that they will get it on our plane on time. Oh what to do. :confused:

javamama
03-23-2009, 08:56 PM
I've worked both the gates, and ramp/baggage your on the same airline so you are usually checked in once you board you international flight it checks you into the next leg. You booked what we called a "legal" connection since your on the same airline not one to another airline in different terminals--kwim. As for your baggage, they will handle it for you if it doesn't arrive with you-which I'd be surprised if it misses since the downline stations know how the plane is loaded, so those "cans" where the bags are come off first 99% of the time. I'm assuming your flying Northwest, is that safe to say? I really wouldn't worry about it too much, since they made the schedule change. What you can do for peace of mind is look to see if they're still selling your flights as a connection, then you know they're aware of what they are doing. Also remember flight times/schedules are "padded" by the airlines and FAA so you may take off right on time and land 20 minutes early, or vice versa on a delayed flight-kwim.
Don't worry:mickey:

MOJoe
03-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Several years back i had a very short layover in Miami. We were using AA, but the connecting flight was American Eagle, and in a different terminal. My family had to run, non-stop, for 30 minutes to make our flight. :-o The flight attendents were even calling our names as we approached the gate! I just knew that our luggage would not make that flight. But sure enough, it arrived home with us. So i wouldn't worry. You should be fine.

farmergirl
03-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Several years back i had a very short layover in Miami. We were using AA, but the connecting flight was American Eagle, and in a different terminal. My family had to run, non-stop, for 30 minutes to make our flight. :-o The flight attendents were even calling our names as we approached the gate! I just knew that our luggage would not make that flight. But sure enough, it arrived home with us. So i wouldn't worry. You should be fine.

Thanks..... So basically if you got time to make it your luggage should too :)