PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car Selection Question

farmergirl
03-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi I got a question. Last year on our trip to WDW we rented from the airport and found that the selections for the midsize suv's were slim pickings. We picked ours up at 3 pm and ended up having to drive it back it was smoked in ALOT and I have asthma so we could not handle it. We requested non smoking but as I said they did not have much of anything so they up sold us to athis smoked in full size SUV which they made us pay for, so when we returned it we did get a midsize SUV but still had to pay the higher price. Anyways after being very frustrated this year we decided to go with Alamo. I was wondering has anyone notice if there is a time a day when there is better selections for renting a car. For example do you find a better selection when you are there in the morning or is afternoon and evening more stocked up? Or is is basically the same? Thank you in advance.

princess0511
03-23-2009, 08:31 PM
We love Alamo. We have used them the past 8 years in a row. We have never had a car selection problem. We have never had a problem with smoke either. My husband also has Asthma. We have picked up are SUV in the morning, afternoon and even after 11pm. I think you should like their service. They also have a great promo going on right now for SUV's and Minivans. You can find the info on their site under deals. Have a great trip!:mickey:

PlutoPlanet
03-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Sorry about the smoke in the SUV.
We rented in the morning from Enterprise They are not right at the airport, but they are close. They had lots of cars on the lot.
One book, I think it's the Unofficial Guide to Disney World, wrote that Orlando is the rent a car capital of the world. If one company doesn't deserve your repeat business, go with another one.
Hope it works out better next time.

Dopey's Girl
03-23-2009, 09:17 PM
I have rented with Alamo for the last 10 or so vacations I have taken (not just to WDW) and I won't even look at others now. I have an entertainment book with lots of coupons and have gotten so many good deals. The service is always pretty good, plus they have the self serve kiosks, which is so great! I have never had problems getting the kind of car I reserved either, in fact, many times I have been upgraded for free! Once I paid for a compact, but got a full size. So cool!

brianlw71
03-23-2009, 09:20 PM
We, also, use Alamo all the time and have never had a problem with them.:number1:

CanadianWDWFan
03-24-2009, 07:40 AM
The good thing with Alamo is that you can choose your vehicle if you do the checkin on the internet. We have done this before, but again the pickings were slim. We wanted a full size SUV and there were only two to choose from.

Funny thing is that I usually find Alamo the best but recently, like the last three trips, Avis has been the cheapest by far. I am talking at least $100/week cheaper. I am an Avis Wizard member and I seem to get really good quotes most of the time.

You can signe up for email notification on "hot deals" on pretty well anyone's website. I get emails all the time that show some really cheap rates.

jcvalenti
03-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I've rented a lot down in Orlando, and it always seems to me like the SUV selections and Minivan selections are extremely limited, and exceptionally overpriced. We gave up renting them and now just squeeze into a fullsize.

I always rent through Costco.com, as the coupons they offer usually get you far better rates than orbitz or travelocity, and they have some added benefits (such as when renting Alamo or Enterprise via Costco, you get a free extra driver added).

So far, I have probably rented the most from Alamo, and never had a problem. They are in-terminal, and really quick. There is a local company down there called L&M that usually has the cheapest rates (especially on vans), but the second time I rented from them it was a disaster, when we had reserved a van and there wasn't one on the lot. Felt like a bait & switch, so I never went back.

farmergirl
03-24-2009, 12:06 PM
We booked with a Costco code and I think we got a good deal. At least I think we did. For a midsize SUV for 16 days with on free additional driver after taxes and fees we got it for $447.00 US. We had a fairly similar rate with Budget last year until we got told our Ford Escape was not available and has now moved to a higher class anyway so we would have to get a Pontiac Vibe. Which then we got upsold to the full size SUV. To me I dont care what class they moved it to thats what we had reserved. When we went out to the Budget lot there was at least 10 Escapes in there. I had just checked Budget this morning and their intermediate SUV is priced at $1298.11 :eek: I guess checking in online or at the kiosk would get you away from the upselling pitch rental agencies are known for. So if you check in online and they don't have what you want and by the time that you get there will they let you switch it out or if you are not satisfied with it can you exchange it?

jcvalenti
03-24-2009, 12:59 PM
That's a great price !

Rental car prices raise and lower based on availability formulas. I waited a little too long to book our car for June and ended up having to pay $380 for 10 days in a full size. An SUV was about $850.

farmergirl
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
That's a great price !

Rental car prices raise and lower based on availability formulas. I waited a little too long to book our car for June and ended up having to pay $380 for 10 days in a full size. An SUV was about $850.

Oh good. I am glad we got a good deal. Yes those SUV's are sure up there in price to rent. Maybe Budget is so high because it is so far out. We are not going till fall. Although last year I booked about the same time out and it was high but nothin like it is now.

Magic Smiles
03-26-2009, 08:14 PM
We book with National and have Emerald Club. They are right at the airport. You pay for a cheap car (not sure which level) and then get to pick any vehicle that is in the Emerald Aisle. On our last 3 trips we have paid under $150 a week and ended up picking out a mid size SUV. Never had any complaints about their vehicles. If they had been smoked in I would know for sure as I wouldn't be able to breath.

disneymom2000
03-26-2009, 08:25 PM
If I am not using Magical Express (my favorite) then I definitely rent from Alamo.

TinaAndGlenn
03-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Just reserved a car through Alamo after reading all your posts. They are $80 less than Dollar Car Rental, I used my entertainment book coupon. Thanks!!!

farmergirl
03-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Just reserved a car through Alamo after reading all your posts. They are $80 less than Dollar Car Rental, I used my entertainment book coupon. Thanks!!!

Thats quite a savings is that on a week long rental? :)

SteveL
03-26-2009, 11:00 PM
One thing that I have found is to keep checking the saem website as rates often fluctuate from day to day.
I've saved a lot by closely monitoring the rates and making new reservations when necessary.

TinaAndGlenn
03-27-2009, 11:14 PM
The rental is tues through sunday for a midsize car, unlimited miles!