PDA

View Full Version : What to do when it rains?

wgbuck
03-23-2009, 03:51 PM
My wife and I are heading down for a quick trip with our 2 & 3 year old early next week. I know the weather forecast posted here says things look good through the 4th, but the weather channel says 30% rain next Monday and 60% on Tuesday (I hop they're wrong).

That said, I'd love to hear some suggestions on what to do in the park (specifically MK), with toddlers when it rains.

Thanks in advance.

sleepingbooty
03-23-2009, 04:07 PM
So many of the rides are indoors, but for something that might kill a little more time than a typical ride, you could do Mickey's Philharmagic, Carousel of Progress, or the Hall of Presidents. Ooh, wait, I think Presidents my be down for rehab, not sure. You could also do some souvenir shopping on Main Street. The shops all connect inside. Typically, Florida rain showers are over pretty quickly - and I don't think that this is one of their wetter times of year. Have fun!:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
03-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Mostly throw on a poncho and keep going. It can be a lot of fun in the rain and most things don't close unless the rain is seriously heavy. Toddlers love splashing around and it can make for some magical memories. Just dress for it.

Now, a couple of things about that forecast - anything beyond 7 days out is garbage (including my own forecasts). Models just aren't accurate enough that far out for specifics. Second, the long range Weather Channel forecasts are even more garbage because they are only done by 1 computer model with no human interaction. So, take it all with a grain of salt.

Now, that said, the models today look a good bit different than they did yesterday and I haven't had time to update the forecast this afternoon. It does look right now like the front might actually make it through Sunday night into Monday morning whereas yesterday it looked like the ridge would hold the rain to the north. Still shouldn't be a big deal. And, yeah, it looks like the possibility of rain also exists for the evening of April 2 into April 3, but that's out past 7 days, so don't worry just yet. We'll see what things look like tomorrow.

Hope you have a great trip!

wgbuck
03-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks, ... that sounds more optimistic. Your post reminds me of the meteorology class and lab I took in college. Ahhhh, the memories.

I'll stay tuned in to your forecast this week.

Cheloconnell
03-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Definitely put the ponchos on and take advantage. We have been with our two todlers in the pouring rain and Fantasyland was deserted. You can walk on and off the hardest rides to get on. I think we were done with the whole section including Peter Pan in 40 minutes. Good luck and enjoy your trip :mickey:

GrmGrninGost
03-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Yes, put on the ponchos and ride, ride, ride! Some of the best days we've had at WDW parks were rainy! The crowds tend to disperse and you are often able to walk on to rides you normally have to wait 30 or 40 minutes for. There is nothing I like better than to hear there is a good chance of showers when we are there. On the other hand, beware of thunderstorms. The lightning is awful at times.

PrettyMinnie
03-23-2009, 07:52 PM
There are plenty of indoor rides that can take up some time. Beside Florida rain usually don't last long. If not there is shopping (I know people said that before) and ponchos work well! Good luck!

faline
03-23-2009, 07:58 PM
As others have said, put on the rain gear and slosh your way on to the next attraction - oftentimes, park attendance goes down quite a lot when it rains and you can accomplish lots!

Plus, you'll make some wonderful family memories - remember that day we all got soaked at [fill in park]? The kids had a wonderful time playing in the puddles!

sillyolbear
03-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I agree with grabbing the ponchos and hitting the parks.

One thing one might consider if you are planning on wearing running/walking/tennis shoes--waterproof them before you leave home and pack extra socks.

Once the showers move on, you can swap out wet socks.

Nini5055
03-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Poncho & Parks get my vote!:thumbsup:

We did that last year when it rained while we were at Epcot.

:mickey:

DakandZakMom
03-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I have to give another vote for ponchos and going to the parks. :thumbsup: My sons still talk about sloshing through the pouring rain and splashing through all of the puddles.:)

jcvalenti
03-24-2009, 12:53 PM
I spend a lot of time at the parks, and have only had very few total washouts. Usually even the worst rain is over in a couple hours, and by then, the park is cleared out for your singular enjoyment !

That being said, it's easier to kill time at Epcot than MK, because of the indoor bars :) But at MK, when the rain becomes just too unbearable, think about stopping in at Cosmic Ray's in Tomorrowland. Plentiful seating, better than average food for MK (which isn't saying much) and a pretty funny animatronic show.

MOJoe
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Just keep swimming. :dory:

wgbuck
03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Ok, ... so the clear consensus is to put on the ponchos and keep going.

Where did you get your poncho? At Disney? I'm trying to find a rain jacket/poncho for my 2 year old and 3 year old, ... and I've only been able to find the heavy vinyl jackets that aren't "breathable".

Strmchsr
03-24-2009, 01:42 PM
The Disney ones are more expensive. You can get a workable inexpensive one at Target/Walmart, Bass Pro Shop, etc. In general the WDW ones are only good if a.) you want the logo or b.) you get stuck in the rain and forgot to bring one.

CanadianWDWFan
03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
We have our ponchos from previous trips, so we just keep recycling them. Once the rain starts, throw them on and hit the parks!

For our youngest when he was two, wouldn't put the poncho on. So we had to buy a windbreaker/rain coat at Disney. It cost us a bit but he was able to wear it for two years.

jcvalenti
03-24-2009, 02:16 PM
We usually buy our ponchos outside of the parks. I'm a tall guy (6'3"), and the cheapo and super-over-priced ponchos they sell in the park barely make it below my waist. If I get stuck with a park poncho, my entire lower half will be soaked.

You can usually find a MUCH better quality poncho at Target for around $5. I know there is an adult Coleman brand all-weather ponch for $7.99 that comes in a nice net bag which hooks easily to the strollers, and which can be reused many days in a row without mildewing or ripping.

Added bonus of buying your own poncho: Since it seems 80% - 90% of the people in the park are wearing the same translucent park poncho, having your group in Yellow, Red, Blue or Green really lets you spot each other easily in a crowd during a rainstorm.

CaptainSad
03-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Melt.....lol

DANAM
03-25-2009, 11:07 PM
It hard to say that we love it when it rains but normally it is easier to navigate the parks. I feel like it's a blessing in disguise. We put on the anorack's(jacket that folds into itself) grab an umbrella and head out. Don't forget a ziploc bag for the camara!

mudpuppysmom
03-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Thorw on the poncho and go, go go!!! You'll find people heading for the exit while you get shorter waits for basically all the rides!!

We've been there when it rained and got a lot "accomplished" during many a rainy day! Then, when you get back to the hotel, take a nice hot shower/bath and get warmed up and dried out.

spoiledraf
03-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Just keep swimming. :dory:
:D :D :D :D

I LOVE that line.

Not sure how my crew will respond to rain. Ipersonally would "just keep swimming" but my wife and son maaaaay be a bit, well looking for dryer pastures. We'll see in 73 days!

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swim......