PDA

View Full Version : Skin Allergy patch testing, need help

murphy1
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I figured there would be some help here for me on this one. I have been on steroids and antibiotics for eczema this week (they ruled out psoriasis through a biopsy, but I got a staph infection from the eczema). I have thyroid disease which makes my skin very dry and am doing better now, but my dr. is doing the skin patch test on me in six weeks. What can I expect? How long does it last? My derm dr. told me that it isn't for pets or things b/c they cause more sinus issues with allergies, but I just want to know what makes me get this allergic reaction in the environment (hopefully it's not the husband LOL) Any info or advice appreciated!!

tinktude
03-24-2009, 06:32 PM
My DD has had the skin patch test and the blood tests for allergies. She gets eczema really bad if we dont keep up on it. She is allergic to kentucky blue grass, hickory, ragweed, and several types of mold. I will recommend some gentle soap and lotion (cetaphil). This seems to help settle things down for her. Also sunscreen tends to make her breakout something awful. So we have to be very careful as to what brand we use.

murphy1
03-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks Kristine! I am feeling better my second week, I am not hurting and itching anymore! I found this tub of Cetaphil lotion and I LOVE it!! Am hoping that the patch testing will help direct me. I moved to GA a decade ago, never had allergies in Florida and GA is the worst!! We will either be moving back to Florida or living in both states in the future, but I need help now! :)

ElenitaB
03-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Shari, here's some hypoallergenic :pixie:

Feel better soon!

sleepingbooty
03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Shari, I have had this done a couple times, so I can tell you what I experienced. They take a grid with that has a bunch of sharp points on it (or several of them depending on how many allergens they are testing you for) and press it into the back of your arms, or your back. (It doesn't hurt). Each needle has a tiny bit of a different allergen in it, and each grid will have a "control" - something that everyone will react to, so they can see what your typical reaction will look like. I can't remember how long they let it sit there and develop - it seemed like forever - but maybe 20 minutes? Anyway, they come back and check to see if you've developed any red bumps from any of the allergens. In the meantime, you get very itchy, because even if you don't react to any of the allergens, you WILL react to the control. It is very aggravating to have to lie still and not scratch! I got through it by deep breathing (okay, I was grinding my teeth together and digging my fingernails into my palm - but deep breathing might work for you!:blush:). After a million years, the doctor will come back and wipe it all off with alcohol pads - ahhh the relief! Just go to your happy place, and focus on how good it will be to get to the root of your skin problems. Good luck, hope all goes well!

Mickey'sGirl
03-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Both DS10 and I have been tested on numerous occasions. It is crazy itchy whilst it is happening, but once you are done, you can use some antihistamine cream, and take an allergy pill, and get some relief. When we are being tested, we are restricted from using any kind of antihistimine or creams for the 3 days leading up to the test.

Good luck, and good relief wishes for you! :mickey:

murphy1
03-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice!! Not looking forward to the itching, but guess I'll just deal with it to get through. I am off steroids now, so hoping I don't have a major bought of eczema again.At least none of it is as bad as that thyroid biopsy last year.

brewcrew26
03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
When I was diagnosed with eczema a few years ago I had to go thru the patch test. That took an hour or so in the clinic. Then, they put another patch on my back that I had to wear an entire weekend to see what non-environmental agents I was allergic to. It was almost unbearable! I couldn't shower for three days and I was getting a reaction to the tape they used to attach it.

I totally feel ya on the eczema breakouts. I'm going through one right now but trying to avoid having to take the oral steroid. But, it's starting to come back around my eyes and face which is totally annoying. I can't wait for the weather to stop changing!!

murphy1
05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks again for your help on this. I am going for my third time this week. They taped all the patches to my back on Monday, took the tape off Weds, but left some of the patches on until today when I go back. Weds my doc was surprised at how fast a couple of them came up, but I am severely allergic to nickel and Quatramine-15, which is in a ton of makeup and skin care stuff, so I have gone through and gotten rid of some things. I also have a problem with blue jeans if they have nickel and I wear them all the time. Since I sew, i might make some jeans for myself.

SBETigg
05-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Interesting, Shari. Where is the nickel in jeans, in the fasteners and pocket studs or something? Good thing you sew! It's good to know about that, especially in the makeup, easier to avoid once you know what you're looking for.